Love The Hotel Guru ! Jackie Maillard.
Search the best hotels in Oberstdorf
The muncipality of Oberstdorf, nestled in the heart of the Allgaü Alps, is Germany's southernmost tip. This charming area oozes traditional Bavarian charm, with numerous wooden chalets completely surrounded by a breathtakingly serene mountainous landscape which includes no less than seven valleys. The best places to stay in Oberstdorf most often have far stretching views across this Alpine region. If you're looking to get away from it all for a while, then Oberstdorf could be the ideal place for you.
Of course, such magnificent countryside makes Oberstdorf one of the best places to stay if you're looking to spend your holiday hiking. In summer there are over 200km worth of hiking trails open to the public, whilst in winter it turns into the perfect spot for cross-country skiers. Rest assured, a trip to Oberstdorf won't be overly restful!
As always, be sure to book ahead if you want to avoid disappointment - whilst not exactly a tourist hub, the best places to stay in Oberstdorf do tend to get filled up fairly far in advance.
What not to miss
- Head to the Stillachtal Valley to take a trip on the Fellhornbahn cable car - be sure to remember your camera as the views are tremendous!
- Hike around the Breitachklamm, a wonderfully scenic narrow gorge formed by the Breitach river.
- Watch incredible ski-jumpers practicing at the Erdinger Arena.
- The Museum Bergschau is a must-visit if you want to find out more about the area's history.
The best places to stay in Oberstdorf
For a spot of luxury
- ParkHotel Frank is a 5* stay which boasts glorious views of the surrounding area. Their rooms are spacious and typically Alpine - think plenty of wooden features - whilst there's also a lovely restaurant and a wellness centre.
- Hotel Exquisit is of a similar ilk, with smart accommodation offering splendid Alpine vistas. Come back after a day's hiking to unwind in the pool or sauna before tucking into a hearty meal at the restaurant.
- Das Freiberg features chic contemporary rooms, a Michelin-star restaurant serving up creative cuisine and an enviable location overlooking the valley. What's not to love?
For an apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The nearest places to fly into if you're coming from abroad are either Zurich Airport or Stuttgart Airport. However, they're both still two and a half hours away.
- From the airport, take a train to Oberstdorf - or, if you fancy the freedom of having a car with you then browse through the options available with Rentalcars.
- If you fancy spending your holiday hiking then consider visiting in the summer when the weather's nicest. In August, the average daily temperature rises to 14°C - so it's hardly scorching!
- Alternatively, if you're a cross-country skier then visiting in winter is narturally a better bet.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Oberstdorf.
- Search for properties in nearby Füssen.
- Widen the net to include all our recommendations in Bavaria.
- Or, if you're still stuck then feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Oberstdorf
Parkhotel Frank Oberstdorf 81 rooms from £95
Luxurious 5-star hotel in the resort of Oberstdorf with scenic mountain views. Spacious rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, light pine furniture and contemporary bathrooms. An atmospheric restaurant serves up hearty fare along with a choice selection of wines. Ideal for outdoor enthusiasts.Spa breaks - The wellness centre includes two saunas, a steam bath, whirlpool and a range of treatments.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolsOutstanding locationBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Das Freiberg Oberstdorf 27 rooms from £201
A charming mountain retreat, in the picturesque Allgäu Alps. Elegant and suave suites, with private balconies overlooking the valley. The Michelin starred in house restaurant, Maximilian, serves creative cuisine in a relaxed setting. The perfect mix of contemporary style and homely vibes.Foodies - The hotel's restaurant has been awarded a Michelin-star for its innovative regional and international cuisine.Active Holiday - From skiing to biking, hiking and golfing there is something for everyone.Great walks - This area is famed for its hiking trials, take a guided tour or head off on your own steam.Views - Great views from hotel
Hotel Exquisit Oberstdorf 52 rooms from £304
A chic luxury hotel boasting gorgeous mountain views. Contemporary rooms feature floor to ceiling windows and large private terrace. A well-equipped wellness centre is completely spoiling. The cosy restaurant serves up exquisite modern regional cuisine. A smart hotel for a rejuvenating stay.Active Holiday - The mountains provide a plethora of activities to keep everyone from ramblers to adreneline junkies occupied.Skiing - Take advantage of the 77 mile-long network of trails at the Oberstdorf-Kleinwalsertal ski resort.Total relaxation - Rejuvinate in the mountain air or with a massage in the glorious spa.Swimming Pool - Indoor Pool.