Search the best hotels in Kalamata
Nestled along the southern Greek coast in the Peloponnese, Kalamata is all about sun-drenched days on Mediterranean shores. This attractive port town boasts a classic charm, a bustling old town and a harbour dotted with ferries, fishing boats and pleasure yachts. Accommodation options come in a range of shapes and sizes, from chic apartments in the old town to a stretch of large all-singing-all-dancing resorts along the shore. Our pick of the best places to stay in Kalamata are listed below.
Sun-kissed Kalamata captivates visitors with its stunning coastline, citrus-scented marketplaces and cultural attractions. For history buffs and curious minds, it’s home to many archaeological sites, and the Archaeological Museum of Messinia is a must-see, with its excellent interactive displays. If you’re looking for family-friendly activities, the Railways Park won’t disappoint, and you can also admire the colours and styles of the region’s traditional attire in the Historical and Folklore Museum before visiting Kalamata’s Castle. This impressive edifice is perched on a hill that has been inhabited since before the Trojan War.
For further insights into military culture, check out the Military Museum. Last, we would encourage you to get out of the city into the area’s lush landscapes — for example to the spectacular Mount Ithome, to the River Neda Valley and to the golden beaches beyond. Throughout your stay in Kalamata, you’ll never be short of things to do — and don’t forget to sample the area’s famous olives! Needless to say, you should book your stay well in advance to secure one of the best places to stay in Kalamata.
The Best Places to Stay in Kalamata
For a beach-front resort
- The Elysian is a contemporary and luxurious beach-front hotel perfect for those looking for a relaxing yet rejuvenating spa break in the sun. An extensive spa, impressive fitness facilities, multiple swimming pools, beach access and delicious Mediterranean cuisine mean there is no need to leave the hotel.
- Horizon Blu is a five star property beside a beautiful stretch of beach in the vibrant city of Kalamata. Contemporary rooms are spacious and light with plenty of glass and a white on white palette. A poolside restaurant serves up exemplary Mediterranean fare and there's a spoiling spa too.
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- International visitors usually arrive into Athens International Airport, which is about a three hour drive away. The nearest airport to Kalamata is Kalamata (KLX) Airport which is 5 miles outside the city.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Kalamata has a mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and mild winters. The best time to visit Kalamata is between May and July, as August can get very hot, with an average temperature of 33°C, and with higher temperatures increasingly common.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in the Peloponnese
- Expand even further, and check out our hotels in the Ionian Islands
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Kalamata
Best Hotels in Kalamata
Horizon Blu Kalamata 38 rooms from £86Beach Life - A luxurious resort based on a beautiful stretch of beach.Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent remains of Ancient Messene.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
A five star property beside a beautiful stretch of beach in the vibrant city of Kalamata. Contemporary rooms are spacious and light with plenty of glass and a white on white palette. A poolside restaurant serves up exemplary Mediterranean fare and there's a spoiling spa too. See More
Elysian Luxury Hotel & Spa Kalamata 44 rooms from £95Spa breaks - State of the art spa and fitness centre, three swimming pools and prime beachfront locationTennis - Kalamata Tennis Garden is located 1km from the hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Spa
Contemporary and luxurious beach-front hotel perfect for those looking for a relaxing yet rejuvenating spa break in the sun. An extensive spa, impressive fitness facilities, multiple swimming pools, beach access and delicious Mediterranean cuisine mean there is no need to leave the hotel. See More