Search the best hotels in Ionian Islands
About Ionian Islands
The Ionian group, like their most famous member Corfu, are a cooler, more verdant version of Greece, with more cypresses and olive groves. They feel a bit more European until you get to the beaches which are fine examples of the very best of white-sand-turquoise-waters Greek island perfection. Each island in the group has an independent culture, which runs from the architecture to the food. The best places to stay in the Ionian islands reflect these charming differences.
Our Ionian Islands Collections:
- The Best Places to Stay on Corfu
- The Best Places to Stay on Kefalonia
- The Best Places to Stay on Ithaca
- The Best Places to Stay on Lefkada
- The Best Places to Stay on Zante
- The Best Places to Stay on Kythira
What not to Miss
- Corfu has long been a favourite of travellers who like their beach break with a side of culture. For about the last 130 years people have travelled to this lushest of the Ionian islands with its mountainous north of steep cliffs and pebbly coves and its flatter, sandier south covered in cypress forests and farmland. The island's bounty has meant it has been historically wealthy and this wealth has been expressed with the construction of great libraries and centres of learning and gorgeous villas.
- Kefalonia is best known for Caretta caretta - Loggerhead turtles which visit the lagoon just beyond the island's capital Argostoli, Myrtos Beach, voted 'Best Greek Beach' more than ten times, and as the location for Captain Corelli's Mandolin. The success of the book and the film haven't spoilt this unspoilt island and the pretty villages of the story are still pretty - especially those of the charming Livatho Peninsula.
- Ithaca could almost be described as two islands (it comprises two large pieces of land joined in the middle by a slim strip). Famous as the home of Odysseus (though historians and archaeologists are not so sure now), there's plenty of culture, plus lovely beaches, dramatic cliffs and wonderful views. It's a great destination for active sorts with loads of hiking and biking and fantastic sea-kayaking too.
- Lefkada is called an Ionian island but it's actually connected to mainland Greece via a narrow causeway and small bridge. Despite this easy access and its beautiful beaches and cosmopolitan capital, Lefkada is still one of the least visited islands in the group.
- Zante is situated to the south of Kefalonia and is reputed to have some of the most beautiful beaches in the region, surrounded by soaring cliffs and turquoise sparkling waters.
- Kythira, positioned just south of the Peloponnese is another of the 'less travelled' Ionian Islands. Sure, it's well set up for visitors, but it's not as popular as the beauty of its beaches and the variety of attractions mean it could be. It has a reputation of being secluded and relaxing - just like the beaches.
As with most Greek destinations, the best places to stay in the Ionian Islands get quickly booked up in the busy summer season. So if you don't want to miss out, get organised and book early!
For the Greek Island Idyll
- The Corfu Palace is just a 10 minute stroll from the centre of Corfu Town and has wonderful ocean views right across to the mainland. The Corfu Palace was one of the first hotels built on Corfu, so it's got something of the grand old dame about it with private balconies and terraces.
- Emelisse Hotel in Fiskardo, Kefalonia is a luxurious choice. With four poster beds, balconies with stunning views and if you stretch the budget you'll get your own pool!
- Lefkada's San Nicolas Resort is one of the best places to stay in the Ionian Islands if you want to get away from it all, but still have luxurious contemporary surrounds and all the mod. cons.. Built right over a gentle cliff, this hotel has incredible sea views, a stunning pool and is just a short stroll to the beach.
- Delfino blu ticks all the boxes being located just above one of Corfu's most beautiful beaches but also close enough to happening Sidari so that you can visit the nightlife.
- The Zefiros Traditional Hotel is right on the beach in one of Corfu’s most idyllic villages where the mountains seem to roll right down into crystal clear waters. There are just 11 rooms and you’re close to bars and restaurants.
- Zante’s Porto Zante Villas & Spa are a collection of luxurious villas right on the coast. There are just ten villas each with a private pool, marble bathroom and a wonderful private terrace facing the ocean. There’s a fabulous waterfront spa, a chic cocktail bar and a Mediterranean restaurant.
- Ithica’s Perantzada hotel is a sophisticated art hotel situated in Vathi. The all-white rooms and suites ooze class and boast private balconies which have wonderful views over Vathi Bay.
- Hotel Margarita on Kythira is traditional and cheerful. Converted from a 19th Century mansion, the hotel is all exposed flagstone floors and stone arches around a courtyard terrace with a beautiful view. Just off the narrow high street, this is ideal if you want to be close to the centre of town and to the beach. With twelve rooms starting from just £42 a night, this is also really good value.
- Hidden away in the Corfu countryside, the Villa de Loulia is one of the best places if you want to experience some of their lesser known pleasures. Only 400metres from the nearest beach, you're also quite close to the mountains of Perithia and several interesting abandoned villages. This is also a great place for foodies - the gourmet restaurant serves local specialities.
- If you're looking for something traditional and cheerful then one of the best places is the Hotel Margarita. Converted from a 19th Century mansion, the hotel is all exposed flagstone floors and stone arches around a courtyard terrace with a beautiful view. Just off the narrow high street, this is ideal if you want to be close to the centre of town and to the beach. With twelve rooms starting from just £42 a night, this is also really good value.
For a Beach Break
- Corfu's Marbella Beach Hotel is the perfect place for a beach break: five stars and right on a private beach, you have everything you need here and more. Including four different restaurants, watersports facilities galore, an extensive spa, pool and the opportunity to do some sailing or diving.
- Ithica’s Captain Yiannis Hotel is an unfussy spot offering simple apartments with their own kitchenettes. The property boasts splendid views of the Ionian Sea and you're just minutes from the beach - ideal if you want to spend your days soaking up the sun.
For Corfu Town
- Corfu's Siorra Vittoria is in the heart of old Corfu Town, a gorgeous neo-classical building right by City Hall Square and the Ionian Parliament. Originally a mansion, this hotel is elegant and charming. A good choice for a romantic sunny break.
- The Bella Venezia is right by Corfu Town's 'Spianada', which is the main street, and within easy walking distance of the main attractions of the town. It's also great value.
- The Corfu Palace also has an excellent location, just 10 minutes stroll to the centre of town, and yet you still have wonderful ocean views - right across to the mainland. The Corfu Palace was one of the first hotels built on Corfu, so it's has something of the grand old dame about it with private balconies and terraces.
- Lefkada’s San Nicolas Resort is a great option if you want to get away from it all, but still have luxurious contemporary surrounds and all the mod. cons.. Built on a hillside this hotel has incredible sea views - on a good day you can see neighbouring Kefalonia and Ithaca, a stunning pool and is just a short stroll to the beach.
- If you're travelling with children we'd recommend the Petani Bay Hotel, overlooking the Ionian Sea on Kefalonia. Luxurious, yet not overpriced, it offers superb facilities including a children's pool and they can arrange activities for all ages.
- The Sidari Beach Hotel is right on Corfu’s Sidari Beach just a short stroll from the centre of the village. There are 31 elegant and contemporary rooms, a restaurant serving Greek and Italian cuisine and a beautiful pool.
- Corfu’s 21 room Bella Mare Hotel describes itself as ‘seriously relaxing’. The accommodation is in studios and apartments - with kitchens and sea-facing balconies - and the decor is chic. There are also lovely gardens and a pool.
- The Pelecas Country Club on Corfu started out as a farmhouse in the 18th century and has 11 rooms in the converted stables and old olive press. The rooms and suites are full of character and they serve a hearty brunch until 11am.
- Ithica’s Levendis Estate is an ideal choice for families (accommodation is in two bedroom cottages spread around the estate) and is one of the best places for those looking for an eco-friendly yet luxurious holiday away from the madding crowds.
For Great Value
- The Bella Vista, a gorgeous, beach facing Greek guest house, is perfect for families on a limited budget. Close to the main attractions and a short walk from lovely private beaches, they have rooms and apartments sleeping from one to five people starting from just £35 a night.
- Still very reasonably priced, at less than £60 per night, the Levant Hotel has a more peaceful setting in the hills above the Ionian sea. This lovely neo-classical hotel is a great place to relax if you like a country house hotel vibe.
- For around £60 per night you can stay at the Melina Bay Hotel, which is right under Kassiopi Castle on the beach. There are just 20 rooms, a Mediterranean restaurant on a scenic terrace and helpful staff.
- Lefkada’s Aliki Hotel is a quiet, great value 22 room hotel with wonderful views of the beautiful Ionian Sea. The rooms are comfortable and you’re well located for the beach. Prices start from just €70 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Corfu International Airport is well connected to the UK, with direct flights available to most major UK airports, and minor ones too during summer. It’s also well connected to other European destinations. Corfu is also a ferry hub. During the summer Kefalonia Airport is also fairly well linked to European destinations, but mostly by low-cost and charter airlines. During the ’off season’ it’s mostly a domestic airport. The same can be said for Lefkada Preveza/ Aktion Airport. Zakynthos Airport and Kythira Airport are also predominantly domestic. The Ionian Islands are well linked by ferry.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- It’s difficult to pinpoint the perfect time to visit the Ionian Island group, as each island has its own variations, but generally the islands open for visitors around March and get busy from around Greek Orthodox Easter until the end of October when the sailing finishes.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ionian Islands
Hotel Margarita 12 rooms from £44Kythira
Historic lodgings turned boutique hotel with old-fashioned charm. Spacious but simple rooms with period features. A great low cost slice of paradise with sun-kissed beaches and towns for you to explore and relax in.Local exploring - Perfectly located for exploring the historic town of ChoraValue chic - A quaint, traditional stay at an inviting priceGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Levant Hotel 25 rooms from £65Pelekas, Corfu
Lovely neo-classical hotel in the hills above the Ionian sea. Attractive traditional building, charming rooms with sea facing balconies, lovely terrace and cafe, and swimming pool. A great value choice within striking distance of beaches, golf and Corfu Town. Suited to couples, families and groups.Groups - The hotel welcomes groups of artists, musicians and yoga enthusiasts.Views - Breathtaking views of the Ionian Sea.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Fodors
Captain Yiannis Hotel 23 rooms from £66Vathi, Ithaca
This cute, comfortable and cosy property has apartments, rooms and suites offering wonderful views of the Ionian Sea. Decor is simple yet artistic and includes a sitting area, well equipped kitchenettes and private balconies. Breakfast and light snacks by the poolside are available too.Weddings - Their pool side space is an ideal spot for a small wedding celebration or a birthday partyLocal exploring - Ideally located, close by to the beaches and the town areaFamilies - Apartments are ideal for families for long or short staysBeach nearby - A short walk from the Loutsa Beach
Kythira Golden Resort 10 rooms from £75Diakofti, Kythira
Kythira Golden Resort is an excellent hotel right by the beach in Diakofti. The modern rooms enjoy spectacular seaside views and the outdoor pool is the perfect place to relax and soak up the soothing surroundings. A serene spot for a quiet holiday on a Greek island.Local exploring - A charming and comfortable base to return to after exploring the village of Diakofti and the surrounding coastline.Sights nearby - Venetian Castle and Fortress of Avlemonas are both within three miles.Local markets - Head down to the Diakofti market and pick up some regional produce.Diving - The surrounding coastline is great for scuba diving.
Marbella Beach Hotel 393 rooms from £90Nr Stroggili, Corfu
Five Star luxury on the beach. Contemporary chic rooms, suites, and apartments in creams and whites with all the mod cons and sea-facing balconies. Fabulous restaurants, extensive spa, gorgeous pool and lounge area, private beach. Romantic, family friendly, often good value.Restaurant - 4 restaurants; seafood, Mediterannean, Greek, Italian.Views - Incredible views across to mainland GreeceFamilies - Two-bedroom suites.On the beach - Private beach.
Bella Venezia 31 rooms from £88Kerkira, Corfu
A traditional townhouse hotel with sophisticated living areas and contemporary rooms and suites. Excellent value for its central location. A smart choice with no added frills.Sights nearby - Central location in Corfu Town a stone's throw from the "Spianada" and easy walking distance to all main attractions.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.TraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Siorra Vittoria 9 rooms from £88Kerkira, Corfu
A gorgeous neo-classical mansion in Corfu's old town. Elegant rooms and suites have parquet floors, high wooden-beamed ceilings, and all the mod cons. Lovely garden, sitting room, and breakfast dining room. Easy access to restaurants, beaches and sights. A great choice for romantics and groups.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic BreakSights nearby - Neo-classical building of Corfu old town, close to City Hall Square and the Ionian ParliamentSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, CN Traveller
Bella Mare Hotel 21 rooms from £100Corfu
"Serious Relaxing" is how Bella Mare describes itself. Offering studios with sea facing balconies and apartments with kitchens. It is great for families. Very chic and boutique, it has lovely gardens and a swimming pool. Clean, comfortable and great value.Romantic Break - Two luxurious villas have a separate entrance, spacious gardens, a private pool and unbelieveable viewsFamilies - Apartments come with 2 single beds, a separate bedroom with double bed and a fully equipped kitchenGreat walks - Some of the best walking areas are around the hotelSwimming Pool - An outdoor swimming pool
Perantzada Hotel 19 rooms from £101Vathi, Ithaca
A chic all white hotel on the coastline in Vathy. Rooms and suites are romantically decorated, have private balconies, sea views and all the mod cons. Lovely pool and terrace. Walking distance to main attractions. A spot for honeymooners and romantics.Views - Great views over Vathy BayRomantic BreakHoneymoonsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Corfu Palace 115 rooms from £105Kerkira, Corfu
One of the first hotels to be built on Corfu. A large imposing building in a prime location. A mixture of contemporary and old-fashioned rooms with private balconies/terraces. Good spa, pool, restaurant. Well equipped, friendly staff, excellently positioned.Views - Great views over Garitsa Bay to the Greek mainlandSights nearby - 10 minute walk from the centre of Corfu TownSpa - Thalassotherapy spa centreSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
San Nicolas Resort 17 rooms from £105Mikros Gialos, Lefkada
A gorgeous contemporary classic hotel with stunning seaviews. Rooms and suites in white and pale blue have private balconies and all the mod cons. Stunning pool and relaxation area, and a short distance from the beach. For romantics and sun seekers.Views - Wonderful views over the bayLuxuryBeach LifeRomantic BreakRecommended by - Tablet
Lesante Blu 92 rooms from £126Zakynthos, Zante
A secluded hilltop property offering glorious sea views. Suites and rooms are all white on white with plenty of glass, all the mod-cons and indulgent bathrooms. Expect a selection of bars and restaurants, a fabulous spa and glorious pool. Ideal for romantic getaways.Hideaway - A luxurious clifftop property offering an exclusive escape.Sailing - Take a private cruise around the island.Restrictions on children - Adult onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Delfino blu 15 rooms from £114Agios Stefanos, Corfu
Wonderful beach boutique hotel with contemporary chic suites and apartments. Fabulous Greek restaurant, champagne breakfasts, pool and beach bar. Very romantic, yet still family friendly (some apartments sleep 4). A great choice for a faultless beach holiday.Foodies - Wonderful Greek restaurant.Beach LifeRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotel
Petani Bay Hotel 12 rooms from £116Pelaki, Kefalonia
A very well positioned and good value hotel on the coastline with fantastic sea views. A collection of suites with kitchenettes and private balconies, all in muted tones. Lovely pool and relaxation area, restaurant and bar. Adults only.Views - Looking out to the Ionian SeaValue chicBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Infintity pool with breathtaking views of the bay.
Kontokali Bay Resort & Spa 259 rooms from £125Kontokali, Corfu
Contemporary chic hotel and spa resort with private beach. Rooms, suites and garden bungalows have creamy furnishings, wooden floors, modern gadgetry and sea views from private balconies. Extensive spa, salt water infinity pool and good restaurant and bar. Great for a beach holiday, family friendly.Views - Wonderful views over the Ionian SeaOn the beach - Private beach.Beach LifeSpa breaks
MarBella Nido 70 rooms from £135Corfu
A luxury beach hotel with suites featuring private pools and great views. The terraced design in Corfiate colours nods to the island's Venetian and Greek heritage with arches and terraces, while rooms are light and stylish. Offering two restaurants and a private beach- an ideal romantic retreat!Romantic Break - Couples looking for serenity to recharge and relax in an utterly peaceful, adults-only environmentBeach Life - Offers a secluded beach location opening onto the Ionian Sea on the island's pretty east coastSights nearby - Check out Corfu with its arcades, eateries, pretty streets and markets or visit the once-abandoned medieval village of PerithiaGreat walks - Hike or bike in Corfu’s mountainous north (70 minutes away)
Villa de Loulia 9 rooms from £140Peroulades, Corfu
A romantic manor house hidden away in the countryside, but driving distance to the beach. Traditional elegance throughout; pink archways strewn with bougainvillea, pastel bedrooms and suites, and lovely central courtyard swimming pool. Excellent table d'hote.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Mountains of Perithia and discover the ancient abandoned village.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
Ikos Dassia 411 rooms from £161Corfu
A stunning luxury hotel boasting an enviable location on a private stretch of white sand beach with spectacular sea-views. Chic white-on-white style dominates throughout lending a cool fresh feel. Expect a selection of superb restaurants, a spa area and kids-club all included in the price.Active Holiday - Greek dancing, yoga lessons, tennis courts, swimming pools and island biking make this hotel perfect for sporting enthusiastsTotal relaxation - Enjoy the two hotel spas or relax besides the pool with a drink and book in hand whilst enjoying guaranteed good weatherSpecial Offer - This incredible hotel offers so much activity, entertainment, style, food and comfort all with a reasonable price tagFamilies - All-inclusive kids club offers various activities enabling adults to relax knowing their children are in safe hands
The Rou Estate 16 rooms from £189Corfu
The Rou Estate is located in the northeast of Corfu. The accommodation comprises 16 private guesthouses built using local architectural techniques; the best boast a private terrace, garden and plunge pool. The estate also features a Mediterranean restaurant and wellness complex; an exclusive stay.Romantic Break - Indulge on your romantic getaway by booking a private villa with a plunge pool; couples love the discreet, quiet locationFamilies - The hotel's spacious self-catering villas are perfect for families travelling with children, accommodating up to 6 peopleCountry Escape - Experience a country escape like no other by booking a private villa on the Rou EstateGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural landscape surrounding the estate on a long walk; discuss your route with the Estate Manager
Emelisse Hotel 36 rooms from £189FISKARDO,, Kefalonia
Supreme luxury on the coastline. Fantastic rooms and family apartments (sleep up to 5) have all the mod cons, four poster beds, balconies and private pools (some). Excellent spa, restaurant, and boats to charter. Great for an indulgent holiday.Views - Most rooms enjoy wonderful sea viewsFamilies - 2 bedroom apartments.Cinema - Open-air.Beach LifeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
Zante Maris Suites 192 rooms from £268Tsilivi, Zante
This chic, adults-only hotel is located on the Greek island of Zakynthos. Suites are bright and contemporary with crisp white linens and sea views; the best suites offer a cosy private terrace and pool. Eat at the à la carte restaurant before booking into the holistic spa. A luxury seaside getaway.Beach Life - Located a stone's throw from beautiful sandy beaches on the island, this hotel is a great choice for a seaside getawayHideaway - Book a discreet luxury suite and hideout in your room with your own private pool and beautiful sea viewsRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic seaside setting of this hotel and the first-class facilitiesSights nearby - Visit the Agios Dionysios Church, a historic Orthodox Greek church with a breathtaking interior
Levendis Estate 4 rooms from £312Stavros, Ithaca
A fantastic choice for honeymooners or families. Rustic cottages surrounded by nature and sunny shores with beautiful views. Rambling gardens, wildlife, beaches, and biking. Magical and understated.Back to NatureViews - Great views from hotelHoneymoonsFamiliesRecommended by - I Escape
Olea All Suite Hotel 93 rooms from £317Tsilivi, Zante
This award-winning design hotel is located on Zakynthos, Greece. Rooms have chic, Mediterranean interiors with tiled floors and natural accents; the most luxurious suites boast a private pool with sea views and a spacious terrace. Choose between 3 restaurants before visiting the spa; luxury defined.Foodies - Foodies are spoiled for choice at this hotel, with three on-site restaurants serving international and Mediterranean dishesHoneymoons - Book a luxury suite at this hotel for a honeymoon with added indulgence, and admire sunset from your private poolRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's chic interiors and the first-class facilities at the on-site spaMinimum Stay - Minimum stay of 2 nightsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels
Porto Zante Villas & Spa 10 rooms from £1053Zakinthos, Zante
Luxurious villas with exotic views of the ocean. Rooms come with private pools, marble bathrooms, lavish toiletries and sea facing private terraces. A Mediterranean restaurant, a chic cocktail bar, a fabulous waterfront spa and other 24 hrs five star services. Winner of several awards.Spa breaks - Come for the luxury spa treatments and ancient Greek therapies performed in areas with breathtaking views of the Ionian SeaRomantic Break - A perfect romatic getaway. Enchanting seaviews from the luxury of your private villasBeach Life - A beachfront hotel, some villas come with a private beachFamilies - Spacious villas welcome children as wellRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Paradisso Beach Villas from £2118Zante
Lying on a charming peninsula, these picturesque villas overlook the Ionian sea. The rooms are light and fresh, with whitewashed walls, linen curtains and tiled floors. The villas feature multi-functional living quarters leading onto outdoor terraces, with loungers and hammocks. A magical spot.Beach Life - The villas perch on a small penisula jutting out to the blue Ionian sea and is straddled by a golden beachFamilies - Self-catering villas capable of housing up to 8 people makes this a suitable family optionActive Holiday - A wide variety of water-based activities and excursions are organised by your hostsSights nearby - Explore the Blue Caves sea sculptures rising from the sea in striking blue coloursRecommended by - I Escape