Search the best hotels in Paxos
The myth of Paxos says that Zeus, in a fit of rage, grabbed off a little chunk of Corfu and hurled it southwards, where it landed about 14kms away - a stones throw. It's too small, and too close to Corfu, to have its own airport and that's protected Paxos from over development. Despite the myth of being created in anger, Paxos is as tranquil and beautiful a place as you'll find in the Ionian Islands, and some of the best places to stay on Paxos are real homes from home.
Paxos's coastline is where most of the island's life is centred, in three villages facing the Greek mainland.
Gaios is the main town, and where the ferry comes in. It boasts a charming strip of pink and white buildings backed by olive groves and green hills.
To the north is Lakka, which has a spectacularly beautiful harbour popular with sailors - to the extent that there's not a lot on land but bars and tavernas.
And the third town is Loggos, more of a hamlet but with an excellent selection of restaurants referencing Paxos's Ottoman and Italian past, as well as its own culinary traditions.
The rest of the coastline deserves exploration as well. Crenelated and undulating, this is a varied coast of hidden coves and bays. The striking white of the cliffs means this coastline is gorgeous when seen from the sea, and many of the beaches have those large, flat, pale stones which make the water appear extra blue.
As well as exploring Paxos from the sea, you can also shoot off to Anti Paxos, an island just off the windward side, which has sandy, rather than pebbly, beaches.
The interior is no less lovely than the coastline, if you like olive groves with ancient olive presses and windmills, lush green hills and the view from atop sheer limestone cliffs. The main walking trails are old mule tracks, but they criss-cross the island so thoroughly that it would take you several months to run out of new paths to explore.
Paxos doesn't have the nightlife or bustle of Corfu, but that's part of its charm! It does though have some excellent restaurants, just the right number of bars and boutiques, and a single discotheque!
What Not To Miss
- Voutoumi Beach is a great place to spend the day, with white sands and clear turquoise water situated in an idyllic cove. You'll feel like you've gone to paradise!
- Head along to Mongonissi's beach taverna and enjoy traditional Greek dancing whilst you relax with a refreshing drink.
- Erimitis Bar enjoys a wonderful clifftop location and, as well as offering up lovely cuisine, boasts spectacular views. Head over there at sunset for a wonderfully romantic dinner!
Our pick of the best places to stay in Paxos will be very busy during the peak summer months. So if you plan to visit during July or August, book well ahead.
For Utter Relaxation
- Torri e merli is a wonderfully Zen property designed to ensure you reap the full benefit of Paxos's relaxational charms. This is five stars at its most simple and elegant, with a focus on wonderful Ionian views, spa therapies and good Mediterranean food. It's easily one of the best places to stay in Paxos if you're looking for a spot of laid-back luxury!
For a holiday villa or apartment
- If you're travelling with a group of friends or family, a villa or apartment might be a better option. To see a wide range from budget to boutique, check out our online partner, booking.com.
- Paxos enjoys a typically Mediterranean climate, fairly temperate year round but nicest in the summer. July and August are the hottest months - reaching an average temperature of 25°C.
- However, this is in the middle of peak season and so expect the place to be fairly busy and accommodation to be on the more expensive side. Visiting in May and October are great bets all round, as you avoid the school holidays and mobs of fellow tourists whilst the weather's still incredibly pleasant.
- Visitors can fly into Corfu Airport, with direct flights from London Gatwick, Stansted and Luton, as well as from Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- From the airport take a taxi to the New Port, (about ten minutes away, costing €10-15) before hopping on the ferry to Paxos, (it takes just over an hour and a half and costs €15-20).
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Paxos
Paxos Fairytales Gaios, Paxos 3 rooms from £61Families - Families can be accommodated in the hotel's self-catering apartment, with multiple bedrooms and a fully-equipped kitchenRomantic Break - With well-appointed rooms and a great location close to the coast, this hotel makes a hassle-free romantic getawayBeach Life - Set close to the beach on the pretty island of Paxos, book this hotel for a relaxing seaside breakGreat walks - See the pretty port of Gaios on a long walk; the hotel's central location makes it a great starting point for exploring
This hotel offers boutique rooms and contemporary studio apartments overlooking the sea on the island of Paxos. Interiors offer a tranquil, romantic atmosphere with warm lighting and luxury linens. Set a short walk from the beach, this hotel is perfect for a couples' seaside break. See More
Zakspitaki Paxos 2 rooms from £130Local exploring - Explore Paxos and the neighbouring island Antipaxos easily from this hotel, with miles of vineyards and pristine beachesRomantic Break - With just two guestrooms, spectacular views and a peaceful setting, book this hotel for a rejuvenating couples' breakHideaway - Set in a secluded location in the charming village of Loggos, this hotel is a beautiful island bolt-holeDiving - Discover the rich marine life off the coast of the island on a diving trip; your hosts can recommend local diving schools
An intimate B&B in a lovingly restored heritage property in the charming fishing village of Loggos. Unique interiors feature objets d'art from East Africa, Europe and Asia. Outside, an idyllic patio shaded by trees offers a plunge pool and deckchairs, the perfect place to while away the day. See More
Torri e merli Lakka, Paxos 7 rooms from £191Views - Over the Ionian SeaRomantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Spa