What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Skyros
Green, rolling Skyros is the largest island in the Sporades group, known for its birdlife, its beautiful rocky coast and for its wild horses: Achilles was said to have ridden one into Troy. Greek mythology aside the island today is popular with the alternative arts and health and wellness crowd. During the summer the island’s population more than doubles, but it’s a large enough island to accommodate and it doesn’t feel too crowded.
Things not to miss:
- Skyros is home to a couple of interesting museums such as the Archaeological Museum of Skyros and the Faltaits Folklore Museum.
- Fans of the war poets can go and visit the grave of Rupert Brooke, who died on a ship moored off the island in 1915. Brooke left an indelible mark on war poetry with the poem 'The Soldier'.
- Skyros is best explored by boat. Hire a boat for the day and explore the beautiful coves, bays and beaches around the island.
- Climb up to the Monastery of Agios Giorgios, housing a church dating back to the 10th century and also offering spectacular views.
- Scuba dive (or snorkel) in the crystal clear waters.
The car-free main town, or chora, on Skyros is also called Skyros, and it’s not a port as you might expect, but a beautifully quaint hilltop town with picturesque streets and an exciting marketplace. Skyros is definitely one of the best places to stay in Skyros if you’re here to see the whole island and not just relax on the beach.
The best places to stay in Skyros
For Modern Chic
- The 32 room Nefeli Hotel has a chic, modern aesthetic, which is slightly at odds with its sleepy, historic surrounds but it makes for a comfortable, stylish stay. There’s a great poolside restaurant and a children’s pool.
For an apartment or villa
- If you are looking for a self-catering option we suggest you explore what is available with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Skyros has its own airport that is serviced by domestic flights or there’s a daily ferry, during summer, in between the Sporades Islands.
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Skyros is from May to September when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Skyros
Ammos Hotel Skyros Skyros 21 rooms from £80
A tranquil seaside hotel in a picturesque whitewashed hamlet. The walled pool surrounded by cabanas is the hub; delicious, quirky Greek food is served here and on the pretty restaurant terrace, while immaculate white guestrooms are stylishly minimal and fresh. Ideal for a sun-soaked seaside retreat!Beach Life - Just steps from the beach and with many other coastline haunts nearbySights nearby - Visit the Archaeological Site of Palamari and the Venetian Castle in Skyros Town which overlooks the AegeanGreat walks - Take long hikes through the island's beautiful landscapesSwimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool
Nefeli Hotel Skyros 32 rooms from £93
A hotel with a chic, modern aesthetic that is slightly at odds with it's sleepy, historic surroundings in Skyros. With sleek, comfortable rooms and a delightful poolside restaurant, it's the perfect place to unwind on a trip to the island of Skyros. A great place to stay for a romantic break.Sights nearby - Explore the beautiful, quaint streets of the hilltop town of Skyros.Swimming Pool - Sea water outdoor pool and children's poolLocal markets - Explore the local market of Skyros.Great walks - Go walking in the Skyros hills.