- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Sporades
Skiáthos, Skopelos, Alonissos and Skyros are the four islands of the Sporades group, with large, green neighbour Evia often included but not officially a member. These aren’t your classic Greek Islands of rocky cliffs and sugar-cube villages, but fertile, heavily forested islands with hills which roll down to some of the Aegean’s beast beaches. Beautiful beach views are on offer at some of the best places to stay in the Sporades Islands, as are peace and quiet, some wonderful walking opportunities and plenty of sunshine.
Where to stay - which island?
- Sun-drenched and lush, Skiáthos was the first of the islands to be developed in the 1960s, and is surrounded by a ring of lovely beaches and a clear-as-crystal turquoise sea. The north coast of Skiáthos is less accessible than the south, which is where you’ll find more of the island’s resorts, but if you’re here to hike, or to find a quiet, secluded spot, then the north, with its olive groves and plunging bays, is for you.
- Skopelos is large, green, peaceful and probably more beautiful than the other Sporades Islands. With impressive cliffs on one side of the island and sheltered bays and sand-and-pebble coves on the other, two mountains over 500m and an interior rich with vineyards, olive groves and plum and almond orchards. If this picture in words isn’t clear enough you could always check out the film Mama Mia! which was filmed here.
- In the middle of a marine park and surrounded by a group of uninhabited smaller islands, Alonissos is one of the group’s least visited islands. You’re right to wonder why though - despite its small size, it’s got beautiful beaches, with the cleanest, clearest waters, and some of the best hiking routes in the Sporades.
- Green, rolling Skyros is the largest island in the Sporades group, known for its birdlife, its beautiful, rocky coast and for its wild horses: Achilles was said to have ridden one into Troy. Greek mythology aside the island today is popular with the alternative arts, and health and wellness crowd.
A stunning collection of islands that brim with character and charm, the best places to stay on Sporades tend to have glorious seaside settings.
The best places to stay on Sporades
For a beach break
- The Bourtzi Boutique Hotel, bang in the centre of Skiáthos Town, has 38 simple, contemporary rooms in a fantastic location with easy access to the beach. There’s also a pool and a lively bar.
- Skopelos’ Adrina Resort is a stunning, five-star, yet affordable, resort with 38 rooms and a seaside location. The decor is plush, there’s an atmospheric beach restaurant, a deluxe spa and a huge garden.
- For something special try the Aegean Suites, a five star property nestled in amongst the olive groves of Skiáthos and a lush garden with sea views. The decor is neutral and beautifully cool, it’s possible to book a room with a private hot tub and there’s gourmet cuisine available in the evenings.
- The Skopelos Village Hotel is in a prime, waterfront spot just a short distance from the centre of Skopelos Village. Its 48 rooms and apartments are unfussy and chic, and some have wonderful views. Friendly, charming and reasonably priced, this is a perfect spot for a relaxing shot break - it’s great for families too.
For good value
- The 13 bright, contemporary rooms and suites of Alonissos’ Ikion Eco Hotel all have their own balcony with views of the mountains or the ocean. Despite being priced from around £65 per night. You’re close to 13 beaches, with the nearest just 150metres away, and just a short walk from shops and restaurants.
For a private apartment
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- Skiáthos is the only island with a commercial airport, but it’s an easy ferry-hop from there to the other islands in the group.
- If you're looking to hire a car, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit the Sporades islands is from May to October, when the weather is at its finest.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sporades
Hotel Yalis 20 rooms from £60Alonissos
Overlooking the Aegean Sea, Hotel Yalis is a charming holiday destination. Offering simple, comfortable self-contained suites and apartments, it's well suited for families or small groups. Just a stone's throw from a great beach, this hotel's views will always have you coming back for more.Great walks - Alonnissos has a wonderful coastline that is really well suited to coastal walks.Fishing - Take a fishing trip out into the Aegean for a day.Local markets - Browse the local market of Botsis.Swimming Pool - Outdoor salt water pool
Mandraki Village Hotel 40 rooms from £65Skiáthos
A boutique property nestled amidst a lush garden and just a few minutes walk from a number of beaches. Spacious rooms are light and airy with soft hues, patterned fabrics and crisp white linen. The upstairs gourmet restaurant pulls a crowd on its own. A tranquil base while you explore the islandBeach Life - Situated within walking distance of half a dozen beaches.Diving - Explore under the sea during a scuba diving lesson.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.
Armonia Rooms from £61Alonissos
Light and tranquil private rooms with breathtaking views of the island and the sea, beautifully furnished with nuanced minimalist design. Communal pool while some rooms have private mini-pools. A place to lose yourself.Writing a novel - Steeped in myth, history and gorgeous landscape: boat trips to uninhabited island of Homer's cyclops'Back to Nature - A refuge for rare seabirds and dolphins, surrounded by olive groves and rugged mountainsLocal exploring - Local fishing villages like Patitiri, medieval castles and Homeric islandsTotal relaxation - Mini pools, hydromassage baths and crystal clear waters
Ikion Eco Hotel 13 rooms from £65Patitiri, Alonissos
The Ikion's contemporary decor and bright rooms provide the ideal place from which to explore Alonissos. All rooms feature a balcony with sea or mountain views plus the hotel is 150m from the nearest beach. Breakfast is served in the garden and restaurants and shops are within a short walk.Beach Life - With 13 beaches nearby, and some of the clearest seawater in the world, Alonissos is the perfect beach destination.Families - A warm and welcoming well priced hotel, with family suites only 150 yards from Roussoum Gialos beach.Diving - Alonisssos is home to the largest natural marine park in the Mediterranean, and the ideal place for diving.Sights nearby - You can explore the deserted islands off the coast, or the picturesque towns within Alonissos itself.
Nefeli Hotel 32 rooms from £93Skyros
A hotel with a chic, modern aesthetic that is slightly at odds with it's sleepy, historic surroundings in Skyros. With sleek, comfortable rooms and a delightful poolside restaurant, it's the perfect place to unwind on a trip to the island of Skyros. A great place to stay for a romantic break.Sights nearby - Explore the beautiful, quaint streets of the hilltop town of Skyros.Swimming Pool - Sea water outdoor pool and children's poolLocal markets - Explore the local market of Skyros.Great walks - Go walking in the Skyros hills.
Skopelos Village Hotel 48 rooms from £130Skopelos
Skopelos Village Hotel enjoys a waterfront location just a short distance from the centre of town. Unfussy chic apartment style accommodation, offering wonderful views. Relax with a drink while the kids enjoy the playground! A friendly and charming stay.Weddings - Enjoy a beautiful reception by the sea and let the hotel's experienced team cater for the rest of your needs-a splendid choiceTotal relaxation - Forget about your worries- spend your days on the beach, followed by a massage and a sunset meal for twoSights nearby - The beautiful hilltop Venetian castle is a must see as well as the remains of the Roman baths in LoutrakiGreat walks - Wander along the beaches of Skopelos to fully appreciate your tranquil surroundings
Adrina Resort 38 rooms from £132Skopelos
A stunning five-star resort that makes the most of it's sublime seaside location. Singularly focused on providing luxury and relaxation, the hotel offers plush rooms, an atmospheric beachfront restaurant, a deluxe spa and 17,000 metres squared of garden. A coastal wonder.Romantic Break - The beautiful seaside setting and pampering luxury suites make it the perfect intimate getaway for two.Great walks - Wake up early and head off along the beautiful walking routes that litter the surrounding coastline.Sights nearby - Nine miles from both Skiathos Castle and Papadiamantis' House.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Bourtzi Boutique Hotel 38 rooms from £139Skiathos, Skiáthos
A simply decorated contemporary hotel in the town centre with easy access to the beach. Modern no frills rooms in white and pastel colours with private balconies. Pool and lively bar. A great base for a beach holiday.Sights nearby - Located in the heart of Skiathos town close to the harbourSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSailing - Can be booked nearby.Lively - Hip and happening.
Aegean Suites from £337Megali Ammos, Skiáthos
A 5-star hotel nestled among olive trees and gardens with sea views, just outside Skathos Town. Rooms are beautifully cool, all neutral hues with a smattering of subtle pastel shades. A light lunch can be had poolside and there's gourmet cuisine by night. Luxury beach chic moments from the action.Private Hot Tub - Book a Charming suite or Heaven suite for your private outdoor hot tubSpa - You can use the spa facilities at the Skiathos Princess HotelSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with sea viewsDiving - Skiathos Diving Center