Search the best hotels in Zante
Zante (or Zakynthos) is the third largest of the Ionian Islands and has some of the most beautiful coastline of all of them, with bright turquoise waters, sweeping white cliffs, worn through with caves and arches, and pristine white sandy beaches. Anywhere this beautiful is going to be popular and the southeastern coastlines host large hotels and resorts frequented by the package holiday companies. But there’s plenty of peaceful stretches of coast and small traditional villages as you head north. That’s where you’ll find our experts' recommendations for the best places to stay on Zante.
The western and northern coasts are quite mountainous and feature dramatic cliffs that drop hundreds of feet straight into the sea. They’re especially impressive when seen from the comfort of a boat. Zante’s popularity means that there are all sorts of activities on offer here, all your standard land and watersports and then the slightly more adventurous ones like quad biking and zip-lining. As soon as you leave the coast things get quieter though, the forests and mountains of the interior are a great place to come to hike or bike. Hardly any visitors explore the interior but it’s extremely lush and between March and May just littered with wildflowers.
Where to stay - Which village/region?
- Busy and bougainvillaea decorated, Zakynthos Town is the island’s capital and has a ferry port and harbour lined with cafes, bars and restaurants. Before the earthquake of 1953, Zante had some exquisite Venetian architecture, which is now mostly ruined, but there’s still something of Venice’s main square in the pretty piazza of Zakynthos Town.
- Agios Nikolaos in the northeast is a tiny town but the second largest port, where the ferry to Kefalonia departs. This is also where you leave from when visiting the Blue Caves - which are certainly one of the island’s highlights.
- Laganas is the party town, with a main street populated almost entirely with bars and nightclubs.
- Tsilivi is a good choice for families
- and Vassilikos is a much quieter village with no hotels just villa accommodation.
Don't forget that this is a very busy island during the peak summer months. So if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Zante during July or August, you'll need to get organised and plan well ahead.
The best places to stay in Zante
- The Porto Zante Villas & Spa is a collection of ten luxurious villas right on the coast. Each comes with a private pool, marble bathroom and wonderful private terrace facing the ocean. There’s a fabulous waterfront spa, chic cocktail bar and a Mediterranean restaurant. A truly indulgent choice.
- Olea All Suite Hotel is an award-winning design hotel. Rooms have chic, Mediterranean interiors with tiled floors and natural accents; the most luxurious suites boast a private pool with sea views and a spacious terrace. Relax in the spa before making the difficult choice for dinner, between three restaurants. Luxury defined.
For a romantic break
- Lesante Blu is set on a secluded hilltop property offering glorious sea views. With chic modern suites, a selection of bars and restaurants, a fabulous spa and glorious pool. Ideal for romantic getaways.
- Zante Maris Suite offers smart accommodation with contemporary design and a superb holistic spa. An adult-only stay, with the best suites boasting a cosy private terrace and pool, this is perfect for couples.
- Cielo Luxury Villas is contemporary villa (which has been split into two separate properties, one with three bedrooms and one with four) situated on a private estate beside the sea. Spacious lounges lead out to the swimming pool from large glass sliding doors. An idyllic spot to rent as a family or with friends.
- Paradisso Beach Villas is another small collection of villas, perfect to rent as a family or small group. Lying on a charming peninsula, interiors are chic and modern and the garden is dotted with hammocks and boasts wonderful sea views.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Zante is served by one airport located towards the south end of the island which caters to both international and domestic flights.
- Travel in between the months of April - September for warm days. The months of June - August can get very hot and very busy.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Ionian Islands.
- Consider the best places to stay on Corfu,
- Or the best places to stay on Ithaca, Kefalonia or Lefkada?
- Alternatively you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Zante
Best Hotels in Zante
Lesante Blu Zakynthos, Zante 92 rooms from £126Hideaway - A luxurious clifftop property offering an exclusive escape.Sailing - Take a private cruise around the island.Restrictions on children - Adult onlySecluded setting - For escaping.
Paradisso Beach Villas Zante from £158Beach Life - The villas perch on a small peninsula jutting out to the blue Ionian sea which is straddled by a golden beachFamilies - Self-catering villas capable of housing up to 5 people makes this a suitable family optionActive Holiday - A wide variety of water-based activities and excursions are organised by your hostsSights nearby - Explore the Blue Caves sea sculptures rising from the sea in striking blue coloursRecommended by - I Escape
Lying on a charming peninsula, these picturesque villas overlook the Ionian sea. The rooms are light and fresh, with whitewashed walls, linen curtains and tiled floors. The villas feature multi-functional living quarters leading onto outdoor terraces, with loungers and hammocks. A magical spot. See More
Zante Maris Suites Tsilivi, Zante 192 rooms from £287Beach Life - Located a stone's throw from beautiful sandy beaches on the island, this hotel is a great choice for a seaside getawayHideaway - Book a discreet luxury suite and hideout in your room with your own private pool and beautiful sea viewsRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic seaside setting of this hotel and the first-class facilitiesSights nearby - Visit the Agios Dionysios Church, a historic Orthodox Greek church with a breathtaking interior
This chic, adults-only hotel is located on the Greek island of Zakynthos. Suites are bright and contemporary with crisp white linens and sea views; the best suites offer a cosy private terrace and pool. Eat at the à la carte restaurant before booking into the holistic spa. A luxury seaside getaway. See More
Olea All Suite Hotel Tsilivi, Zante 93 rooms from £313Foodies - Foodies are spoiled for choice at this hotel, with three on-site restaurants serving international and Mediterranean dishesHoneymoons - Book a luxury suite at this hotel for a honeymoon with added indulgence, and admire sunset from your private poolRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's chic interiors and the first-class facilities at the on-site spaMinimum Stay - Minimum stay of 2 nightsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels
This award-winning design hotel is located on Zakynthos, Greece. Rooms have chic, Mediterranean interiors with tiled floors and natural accents; the most luxurious suites boast a private pool with sea views and a spacious terrace. Choose between 3 restaurants before visiting the spa; luxury defined. See More
Cielo Luxury Villas Zante 7 rooms from £344Families - Split into two villas one with 3 rooms and one with 4, this is perfect for families to rent out in its entiretyBeach Life - Set right on the sea and with a number of watersports on offerDiving - Discover the colourful marine life in the crystal clear waters off the coastSailing - Hire a private yacht to explore the coastline in style!
Two contemporary villas situated on a private estate beside the sea. Chic interiors are simply designed with monochrome hues, straight lines, and modern art. Spacious lounges lead onto the swimming pool from large glass sliding doors. An idyllic spot to rent as a family or with friends. See More
Porto Zante Villas & Spa Zakinthos, Zante 10 rooms from £1041Spa breaks - Come for the luxury spa treatments and ancient Greek therapies performed in areas with breathtaking views of the Ionian SeaRomantic Break - A perfect romatic getaway. Enchanting seaviews from the luxury of your private villasBeach Life - A beachfront hotel, some villas come with a private beachFamilies - Spacious villas welcome children as wellRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Luxurious villas with exotic views of the ocean. Rooms come with private pools, marble bathrooms, lavish toiletries and sea facing private terraces. A Mediterranean restaurant, a chic cocktail bar, a fabulous waterfront spa and other 24 hrs five star services. Winner of several awards. See More