Search the best hotels in Kefalonia
It was Captain Corelli's Mandolin which put Kefalonia, largest of the Ionian Islands, on many people's travel radar. But even the island's recent popularity hasn't decreased the rural charm of the pretty villages or the unspoiled sands or waters of the numerous almost-perfect beaches. And our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay on Kefalonia are just as charming.
What not to Miss
- Argostoli is Kefalonia's capital. The island's second city, Lixouri, lies directly across a long thin bay. Both centres run long and thin like the bay. These are the best places to visit if you're here to see the Caretta caretta - Loggerhead turtles - which feed in the lagoon.
- Argostoli is also perfect if you're not planning to hire your own transport. Public transport links aren't great on the island, but the links from Argostoli are significantly better than from other towns and resorts.
- Some of the prettiest places to see are the small villages of the Livatho Peninsula which are south from Argostoli. Spartia is one of the most charming of these, but all of them are surrounded by pretty beaches and rural views.
- If you're here for spectacular beaches then head for Myrtos Beach. Voted 'Best Greek Beach' more than ten times, this stretch of white cobbles surrounded by steep, bright limestone cliffs is extremely photogenic. Tiny bits of marble in the water make the sea here a particularly dramatic shade of bright turquoise.
- Xi Beach on the south coast is a favourite with families and watersports enthusiasts and it has unusual reddish sand. Petani Beach on the west coast is another beach in a pretty dramatic location.
- If you like things lively and upmarket as well as beautiful, Fiskardo is probably for you. Here you'll find swanky, marina-side restaurants and boutique shopping. There are also a few old Venetian buildings which survived the 1953 earthquake and there's an excellent selection of beaches nearby.
As you'd expect, it's a busy destination during the peak summer months, and if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Kefalonia, you'll need to book early.
For Historic Kefalonia
- The Museum Hotel George Molfetas in Faraklata is a traditional six room hotel. Recognised by the Greek Ministry of Culture as a ‘museum hotel’ which means it’s meticulously refurbished with authentic and handmade furnishings from the 18th to 20th century. You can also take cooking classes here - which are equally as authentic.
For pure luxury
- For seekers of an indulgent break away, look no further than the Emelisse Hotel in Fiskardo. Rooms offer four poster beds, balconies with stunning views and if you stretch the budget you'll get your own pool!
- The F Zeen Retreat is a romantic, adults only hotel perched on a hill overlooking a gorgeous sandy beach. There are 25 simply designed rooms - all with private balconies - plus a pampering spa and lovely pool.
- If you're travelling with children we'd recommend the Petani Bay Hotel overlooking the Ionian Sea. Luxurious, yet not overpriced, it offers superb facilities including a children's pool and they can arrange activities for all ages.
For Great Value
- It’s nice when a property with a name like the Kefalonia Grand is also great value. This luxurious, seafront hotel with 42 chic, minimalist rooms, incredible water views and a restaurant specialising in local cuisine has a room rate which starts at just £55 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- During the summer Kefalonia Airport is fairly well linked to European destinations, mostly by low-cost and charter airlines. During the ’off season’ it’s mostly a domestic airport and you can fly from here to Athens or Thessaloniki in about an hour. If you’re arriving by ferry they come in to Poros or to Sami.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend because the public transport isn’t great - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Even at its worst, weather-wise, Kefalonia is still quite lovely, with six or seven hours of sunshine a day even in mid-winter. Most people visit during the summer months - July and August average maximum temperatures are 29°C and 30°C and the water is quite warm. It is also beautiful in spring when it’s sunny and dry and in autumn when its still warm but there’s a bit of rain.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Ionian Islands,
- Or consider one of Kefalonia’s neighbours? Corfu,Ithaca or Kythira.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Kefalonia
Best Hotels in Kefalonia
Avithos Resort Svoronata, Kefalonia 52 rooms from £56Beach Life - Located a stone's throw from the coast on the picturesque Greek island of Kefalonia, book this hotel for your next seaside breakLocal exploring - Perched in a beautiful natural setting close to the coast, this hotel is an ideal base for local exploring on the islandFamilies - There are a variety of accommodation options for families here, and a separate kid's pool perfect for a family holidaySights nearby - Take a private island tour organised through the hotel and see the island's sights accompanied by a local guideRecommended by - I Escape
This family-friendly resort is nestled among cypress trees on the island of Kefalonia. Suites harmonise with the natural landscape through a palette of earthy hues and overlook the pretty gardens and patio. A freshwater, Olympic-sized pool and adjacent kid's pool complete this stylish hideaway. See More
Museum Hotel George Molfetas Faraklata, Kefalonia 6 rooms from £90Local exploring - Immerse yourself in the history and culture of the region in this meticulously refurbished museum hotel.Sights nearby - Visit the 12th century Castle of Saint George, which is six miles away.Sailing - Great place to stop on a sailing trip around the Greek isles.Great walks - Take beautiful walks along the Kefalonian coast line.
An incredible snapshot of the historical traditions of Greece. This Greek Ministry of Culture recognised museum hotel features authentic handmade furnishings from the 18th to 20th century. Take a traditional cooking class at the hotel or explore Kelafonia's beautiful coast. An island gem. See More
My Little Place on the Hill Kefalonia 17 rooms from £104Local exploring - Surrounded by bucolic countryside and a short drive or cycle to the beach, there is plenty to explore local to this hotelCountry Escape - Set amid the rolling hills of Kefalonia, this hotel makes a tranquil escape to the country on a beautiful Greek islandFamilies - Self-catering family suites are great for parents travelling with children; kids will love the outdoor pool tooSights nearby - Visit St George's Castle, the ruins of a spectacular hillside castle with panoramic views across the island from the topRecommended by - I Escape
This boutique hideaway is nestled on the beautiful Greek island of Kefalonia. Each of the hotel's stylish, monochrome suites has a private verandah where you can soak in views of the surrounding hills. Start the day with breakfast by the pool before a walk to the beach or a country bike ride. See More
Petani Bay Hotel Pelaki, Kefalonia 12 rooms from £115Views - Looking out to the Ionian SeaBeach LifeValue chicSwimming Pool - Infintity pool with breathtaking views of the bay.
F Zeen Retreat Livathos, Kefalonia 25 rooms from £117Total relaxation - A beautifully tranquil property ideal for complete rejuvination, whether it's relaxing by the pool or being pampered in the spa.Honeymoons - Honeymoon heaven with elegant secluded rooms, couples spa treatments and romantic sunset boat rides.Kayaking - Explore the coastline in a kayak.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A romantic haven perched on a hill overlooking a gorgeous sandy beach. Simply designed rooms invoke an element of calm with neutral tones, private balconies and exposed stonework. A glorious spa to aid complete relaxation. Numerous activities on offer or simply unwind with a book by the pool. See More
Kefalonia Grand Argostoli, Kefalonia 42 rooms from £120Value chic - Utterly chic accommodation, plus sea views and delicious local dishes - all at a great priceSights nearby - Monastery of Agios Andreas Milapidias and Monastery of Agios Gerasimos are both five miles away.Local markets - Wander through the markets of Argostoli.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Luxurious, seafront hotel on the Greek isle of Kefalonia. Focused on providing modern comforts, the rooms are chic and minimalist. Visit the Korgialenio Historic and Folklore Museum or hire a bike and cycle along Kelafonia's stunning coastline. Great for a romantic break. See More
Emelisse Hotel FISKARDO,, Kefalonia 36 rooms from £187Views - Most rooms enjoy wonderful sea viewsFamilies - 2 bedroom apartments.Cinema - Open-air.Beach LifeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet