Search the best hotels in Kovalam
A small beachside town just a forty-minute drive from Kerala’s capital city, Thiruvananthapuram. Kovalam, meaning ‘a grove of coconuts’ remains true to its name as every street, river, and beach is lined with them. An epicentre for Ayurvedic medicine, our pick of the best places to stay in Kovalam combine the best of beach life and wellness retreat.
Overlooking the Arabian Sea it is ideal for enjoying sunset walks along its beaches. The water, however, is more for admiring than for swimming.
Kovalam boasts three main beaches: Lighthouse Beach, the most southerly and most frequented by tourists; Hawah Beach favoured by the local fishermen; and Samudra Beach. A rocky outcrop separates the latter so it is much more secluded than its neighbours. Stay here for ultimate seclusion.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Kovalam provide a stay equal part relaxing; equal part rejuvenating.
What Not To Miss
- Kauthuka Park is a splendid space to spend an afternoon, with a large variety of wildlife calling it home. The kids will love it!
- Alternatively, enjoy a nice picnic in Subhash Park.
- Be sure to visit Bekal Fort which offers sublime views out to the sea.
- Culture-vultures should make sure to head to both Kerala Folklore Museum and Kashi Art Gallery.
For ultimate luxury
- As with every Leela property, a reservation at The Leela Kovalam is to stay in the lap of luxury, Modern architecture and décor create a state of the art feel. With its stunning infinity pool, you’ll have to drag yourself down to their private beach. Fine dining and an excellent spa make this incredible property, fabulous.
- Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove provides chic interiors and superb onsite activities. Not forgetting the luxurious spa and innovative cuisine, showcasing the best Keralan ingredients.
- Like its namesake, Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum offers smart accommodation and all the facilities you'd expect from the name. Plus, its central location makes it easy to see all the city's delights.
- The 5* Niraamaya Retreats Samudra is a sublime getaway for those wanting something special. With smart rooms, access to a quiet beach, an award-winning spa and splendid cuisine, what's not to love?
For traditional wellness
- Kerala is the home of Ayurveda and at Bethsaida Hermitage, they stay true to those roots. Offering personalised wellness packages to suit your needs there is a seven-night minimum stay to ensure that you receive the maximum benefits from your treatments. A serious wellness stay.
- Another option is Amrutham Gamaya where the bywords are "Spa. Nature. Silence". Come here for a truly revitalising experience.
- Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort offers visitors an immersive Ayurvedic restaurant locating in a stunning setting; their lush grounds overlook the sea and there's even a private beach. The rooms are elegantly furnished, and there's even an on-site doctor for any ailment you might have.
For a peaceful retreat
- Karikkathi Beach House boasts just two rooms, but the main draw is the beachfront location. An idyllic spot to escape from it all.
- Over The Hill is a small and friendly spot to unwind with the family. Charming yet simple rooms, a pool, and a verdant location amidst lush vegetation.
- Paradise Gardens Beach Resort & Ayurveda is the ideal hideaway for those seeking solitude and pampering. Ideal for romance.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering apartment then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Trivandrum International Airport is located just 15km away from Kovalam.
- You're best off visiting between September and March, after monsoon season but before the overly-humid summer.
- If you fancy exploring further afield then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- From romance to wellness, browse through our list of the best places to stay in Kovalam to start to plan your trip.
- Alternatively, look further afield and check out all our recommendations in Kerala.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Kovalam
Best Hotels in Kovalam
Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort Kovalam (Kerala) 89 rooms from £50Spa breaks - Dedicated to authentic Ayurvedic treatments you will leave feeling years youngerValue chic - Comfortable accommodation at an inviting priceSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Utterly immersive Ayurvedic experience at a truly inviting price. Private cottages are dotted around 15 acres of lush grounds, plus there's a large pool or you can Wander down to the private beach. Vegetarian dishes are served and there is an on site doctor - a truly comprehensive stay. See More
Amrutham Gamaya Kovalam (Kerala) 8 rooms from £84Hideaway - A true haven of tranquility you will find little to disturb you here. Unwind and relax.Fishing - Visit the port of Vizhinjam and see what the local fishermen do best!Sailing - Take a boat out on the stunning Vellayani Lake.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A holistic hideaway nestled in Panangode's verdant hills provides guests with 'Spa. Nature. Silence'. Choose from yogic, meditation or Ayurvedic retreats for a truly revitalising experience. Rooms are of a good size but simple and there are tranquil outdoor areas to relax. There is also a pool. See More
Bethsaida Hermitage Kovalam (Kerala) 60 rooms from £99WellbeingSailing - The hotel will be happy to help you arrange a trip along Kerala's iconic backwaters.Sights nearby - Rent a scooter or even better Royal Enfield and explore the surrounding areas.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be permitted at this hotel.
Foremost a wellness hotel, secondly a beach break. Offering tailor made Ayurvedic packages and large rooms with balconies on which to relax. There is a seven night minimum stay so that guests can get the most out of their treatments. Cuisine is Indian and Chinese with a special Ayurvedic menu. See More
The Leela Kovalam Kovalam (Kerala) 183 rooms from £154Sailing - The hotel concierge will be happy to help arrange a day or overnight trip along the backwaters.Sights nearby - The nearby mosque, located on Samudra beach, is an atmospheric visit around sunset.Great walks - Along your very own slice of private beach.Cooking classes - Check for timings.
A fine offering from a firm Indian favourite. Opulent modern interiors with eye-ogling views, its own private beach and infinity pool. Rooms feature balconies and contemporary interiors. Choose from several romantic dining settings from grilled seafood at The Tides or poolside dining at The Terrace. See More
Vivanta by Taj Green Cove Kovalam 59 rooms from £180Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Padmanabhapuram Palace, Kovalam.Fishing - Sea fishing trips can be organised by the hotel.Great walks - Kovalam Beach is just 500m walk away.Romantic - Good for couples.
Properties of such aesthetic delight are rare. Inspired by the Kettivallam houseboats this luxurious Taj hotel provides stunning interiors with a private terrace as standard and some with private pool. There is an indulgent Ayurvedic spa, huge pool and al fresco dining. A simply superb stay. See More