Search the best hotels in Thekkady
The location of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, South India’s most popular. A large artificial lake, created by the British in 1895, entices an impressive variety of birdlife whilst wild boar, monkeys, elephants, the enormous Indian guar and a handful of elusive tigers can also be found. Our pick of the best places to stay in Thekkady are ideally situated for visiting the wildlife sanctuary and for exploring the region's abundant wildlife.
Best places to stay in Thekkady
- Not so much fine dining, these properties are for those who like to understand how their food gets onto their fork. Experience ‘The Good Life’ at Harvest Fresh Farms where guests are encouraged to immerse themselves in every aspect of the farming process.
- Or at the luxurious Shalimar Spice Garden, keen cooks will appreciate how the property and the local spice plantations are intertwined.
For wildlife and wellness
- With private cottage accommodation and verdant views, fine dining and Ayurvedic spa Niraamaya Retreats Cardamom Club provides guests with an all encompassing stay, in easy reach of some of India’s best wildlife.
- The Lake Palace is also ideal for those wanting to get up close and personal with the wildlife. Its superb situation on the shores of Periyar Lake ensure and ever changing view of animals quenching their thirst!
Still not sure which to book?
- From wildlife and wellness browse through our list of the best places to stay in Thekkady to start to plan your trip.
- Alternatively widen the net and check out all our recommendations in Kerala.
- Or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Thekkady
Best Hotels in Thekkady
Harvest Fresh Farms Near Thekkady, Idukki, Thekkady 3 rooms from £35Great walks - Embark on a 'Fruit Trail' with your knowledgeable guide.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Secluded setting - For escaping.Quirky - An experience!
Sustainable tourism in the truest sense: experience an organic eco farm in the heart of the luscious Keralan countryside. From poultry and livestock, fruits, vegetables and herbs you can immerse yourself in all elements of farm life. Home cooked produce and comfortable rooms complete the stay. See More
Niraamaya Retreats Cardamom Club Kumily, Thekkady 6 rooms from £95Back to Nature - High up in the Idukki mountains surrounded by the regions cardamom plantations lies Niraamaya Retreat.Birdwatching - Crimson-Thekkady is home to Crimson Throated Barbets, Sunbirds and Blackwinged Kites.Cooking classes - The hotel's chef offers local culinary classes.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Nestled in the Idukki mountains amidst fragrant cardamom plantations lies this boutique escape. Comprised of just six cottages including chic interiors, modern bathrooms, private terraces and tea and coffee making facilities. There is an Ayurvedic spa and Pan Asian cuisine at Café Samsara. See More
Shalimar Spice Garden Kumily, Thekkady 18 rooms from £110Back to Nature - Surrounded by Thekkady's verdant spice plantations you are ensconced by nature.Great walks - Set off on a morning nature trek in the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.Secluded setting - For escaping.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
An exotic gateway to the verdant Western Ghats Shalimar Spice Garden provides chic interiors to its discerning guests. Cottages are a blend of modern lines, traditional artworks and locally sourced materials and include private terraces with hammocks. There are two restaurants serving fusion dishes. See More
Lake Palace - Thekkady Thekkady from £140Back to Nature - Bordering the Thekkady and Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.Local markets - Visit Kumily town's fragrant tea and spice markets.Great walks - Guided walks around the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.Lakeside - Overlooking Periyar Lake.
A collection of cottages with most impressive views of Periyar Lake, its imbibing elephants and other wildlife provides a stay amidst nature. Terracotta hung tiled roofs, private terraces and four poster beds induce a homely feel. All manner of nature trails and outdoor pursuits are available. See More