Search the best hotels in Gili Islands
About Gili Islands
Three idyllic islands just off the coast of Lombok, the laid-back Gili Islands are famed for their dazzling beaches, crystalline waters and marvellous marine ecosystems. The archipelago's growing popularity has encouraged a burgeoning selection of accommodation options, ranging from simple B&Bs to gorgeous private villa hideaways. Whether you're dreaming of a lively holiday with friends or a nature-focused couple's escape, our Gurus' list of the best places to stay in the Gili Islands is perfect for planning the trip of a lifetime.
Firstly, choose your island with care. All three islands are car and motobike-free, but Gili Trawangan — also known as Gili T — has the biggest buzz, and is your best bet for a sociable holiday, with trendy bars and late-night parties galore. Gili Meno, on the other hand, is a sleepy paradise for those eager to sink their toes into the sand and take things slowly. For a balance of both, look to friendly Gili Air.
Whilst partying might be one aspect of the Gili Island experience, this part of Indonesia's real draw has long been the ocean. Expect to spend your days swimming, snorkelling and diving amidst colourful fish, turtles, reef sharks and rays on the protected reefs which surround the islands. Surfers will find some good waves — though Sumba, Bali and Lombok offer bigger breaks. Enjoy sailing, wind surfing and kayaking before kicking back with yoga sessions, cycle rides and beach barbecues. Embrace a slower pace of life at one of the best places to stay on the Gili Islands.
The Best Places to Stay on the Gili Islands
For Great Value
- Havana Hideaway is a nine-bedroom bolthole in lively Gili Trawangan, the party hotspot of the archipelago. Pick this place for its affordable pricing, central location and relaxed vibe. There's a friendly bar and bikes for hire, too.
- Jago Gili Air is a budget-friendly spot with contemporary rooms surrounding a refreshing swimming pool. Sink into beanbags after days of adventure, sip cold beers on your return from cycling around Gili Air. A fun choice for sociable groups.
- Gili Meno Escape, on the smallest of the islands, is a quieter base with just six thatched bungalows. Expect high ceilings, cosy beds with crisp white sheets, and a big shared swimming pool. Bright yellow bicycles are ideal for exploring after breakfasts in the poolside pavilion.
- The Koho Air has a charming Mediterranean feel, with blue-painted doors, whitewashed walls and tiled roofs. Romantic couples will adore the candlelit garden in the evenings, whilst groups of friends can gather to share travelling tales with sundowners on the rooftop. Well-priced and very pretty.
For Laid-back Luxury
- Kuno Villas offers a characterful collection of antique teak villas — some with multiple bedrooms — set within verdant gardens in north-east Gili Trawangan. Classic pitched roofs hide big kitchens, sitting rooms and indulgent bedrooms, whilst most open-air bathrooms have free-standing tubs. Fabulous.
- Slow Gili Air is a 10-villa hideaway with a strong sustainable soul. A collaboration between friends — one of whom is a fantastic dive instructor — this tranquil spot boasts thatched villas with plunge pools, handwoven textiles and bamboo touches. The rejuvenating spa is a lovely addition. For families or couples.
- The Island Houses Gili Meno are the stuff of castaway dreams. Nestled on the beach in pint-sized Gili Meno, these two houses — Robinson & Crusoe — have rustic interiors with embroidered textiles, hand-hewn wooden furnishings, polished concrete floors and a timeless sense of charm. Each has its own pool, kitchen and terrace. The team will give you as much privacy as you like. A gem!
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport or to Lombok International Airport, which is closer to the Gili Islands. You can then hop aboard the ferry or take a private boat to your destination in the Gili Islands.
- Tiny and laid-back, the Gili Islands are car-free, so the best way to get around is by bicycle, on foot or by horse-drawn cart.
- Close to the equator, the Gili Islands are hot and humid year-round. July - August and the Christmas holidays are the most popular time to visit, but you'll find good weather and good deals April - June and in September, outside the rainy season but without the crowds.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Lombok.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Indonesia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Gili Islands
Havana Hideaway Gili Trawangan, Gili Islands 9 rooms from £40Local exploring - Within walking distance of the liveliest part of town, this is a great base for partygoers or those eager to stroll to the beachKayaking - Hop aboard a kayak to glide across the sparkling ocean waters, spotting bright marine life as you goCycling - Hire bicycles to explore the island on two wheels, zipping to the beach, shops and cafés with easeValue chic - A simple spot for couples or friends, with nine private rooms at very reasonable rates
A simple, nine-bedroom bolthole close to the buzzy heart of Gili Trawangan, where you'll find a friendly team brimming with recommendations for surf & party spots. Cycle to markets & white-sand beaches after laid-back all-day breakfasts on the terrace of your pretty yellow-and-green room. Charming. See More
Jago Gili Air Gili Air, Gili Islands 10 rooms from £48Groups - Centred around a lovely swimming pool, these rooms are great fun for a group of friends travelling togetherDiving - The Gili Islands are famed for their fascinating marine biodiversity — perfect for keen diversCycling - Hire bicycles from the hotel to explore the island on two wheels with friends and familyValue chic - A bright, modern and affordable choice for a trip to beautiful Gili Air
Swish modern spaces with crisp white linens and pops of bright blue characterise this budget-friendly little boutique hotel on pint-sized Gili Air. Groups of friends will adore the sociable vibe, flopping onto poolside beanbags with a cold beer or two after sun-drenched island adventures. See More
Gili Meno Escape Gili Meno, Gili Islands 6 rooms from £52Great walks - Stroll around Gili Meno in 90 minutes, soaking up views of Lombok, meeting friendly residents & popping into small shopsSnorkelling - Borrow equipment to snorkel with sea turtles in the tranquil lagoon which surrounds the islandValue chic - Pretty yet affordable bungalows for couples or friends seeking an intimate island baseLocal exploring - Well-placed for exploring Gili Meno on foot or bicycle, this is a very cosy spot
Six charming bungalows frame a refreshing swimming pool at this affordable little B&B. Expect thatched rooms and crisp white sheets atop cosy beds, with bright pops of blue-green. A friendly, intimate base with bicycles for hire to explore the beautiful beaches & tranquil waters of Gili Meno. See More
The KOHO Air Kabupaten Lombok Utara, NTB, Gili Islands 18 rooms from £65Groups - A brilliant choice for a fun group trip, with a laid-back vibe and communal areas for unwindingValue chic - Chic yet affordable, this boutique base is perfect for budget-conscious travellersYoga - Early morning yoga on the rooftop terrace is a gorgeous way to start the dayRestaurant - Serving coffee, fresh juices, all-day breakfasts and a selection of international dishes
Whitewashed walls, blue-painted doorways & woven roofs foster a relaxed Mediterranean vibe at this eco-minded little spot, where 18 fresh, airy rooms with open-air showers are clustered around the pool. One for sociable travellers eager to trade travel tales over sundowners on the rooftop terrace. See More
Kuno Villas Gili Trawangan, Pemenang, Lombok, Gili Islands 11 rooms from £126Families - Villas Bhumi, Jade, Oscar and Gaia are ideal for families or groups with multiple bedrooms & private poolsHideaway - A grogeous hideaway in a tranquil part of the island, with private villas in leafy gardensDiving - Spot turtles, eagle rays, reef sharks, cuttlefish and more whilst diving in the Gili Islands National Marine ParkSurfing - Hire boards to surf near the hotel, or take day trips to the breaks on tranquil Gili Air
An oasis of exquisite rooms & villas dotted between swimming pools in north-east Gili Trawangan. Antique houses have been reimagined to create multi-bedroom villas with big beds, sitting rooms & kitchens under classic peaked roofs, plus open-air bathrooms with sink-into tubs. Fabulous. See More
Slow Gili Air Kabupaten Lombok Utara, NTB, Gili Islands 10 rooms from £263Eco - Aiming to be the first zero-waste hotel on Gili Air, Slow has a sustainable ethos & partners with community education programmesFamilies - Two-bedroom villas with plunge pools are ideal for families and little ones will love cycling and snorkellingDiving - Learn to dive or hone your skills at gorgeous sites with expert instructor and hotel co-founder JulieRomantic Break - Hide away as a couple on a tranquil little island, with your own charming private villa and poolRecommended by - I Escape
A collaboration between three friends — including an architect & a dive instructor — this 10-villa hideaway has a strong sustainable soul. Chic villas with plunge pools, woven textiles & bamboo accents sit in leafy gardens, ideal for couples or families to unwind in bliss on beautiful Gili Air. See More
The Island Houses Gili Meno Gili Meno, North Lombok Regency, NTB, Gili Islands 2 rooms from £312Groups - Two four-bedroom villas await groups of friends or families, each with a pool and the option to inter-connectSnorkelling - Snorkelling with the little ones in the crystal-clear waters of the Gili Islands is a real treatCycling - Hop aboard the house's bicycles to explore Gili Meno, where there are no cars at allKayaking - Glide through the tranquil waters by kayak with friends and familyRecommended by - I Escape
Two beautiful thatch-roofed houses — Robinson & Crusoe — await friends & families on the tiny island of Gili Meno. An enchanting seaside idyll with patchwork-topped sun loungers beside refreshing pools & rustic interiors with handwoven textiles, polished concrete floors & mismatched pieces. Magical. See More