Search the best hotels in County Waterford
About County Waterford
Home to ancient sites and dramatic coastlines, County Waterford is an ideal destination for both history aficionados and lovers of the great outdoors. Accommodation options in the region are wide-ranging, and suitable for a whole range of budgets and interests — from honeymooning couples to large family groups. Including chic city hotels, relaxed rural hideaways and an imposing Norman castle, our selection of the best places to stay in County Waterford ensures that you’ll be well-placed to experience the area’s many highlights.
Ireland’s oldest city, Waterford was founded by the Vikings in the ninth century and later claimed by the Normans. Delve into the city’s wonderfully rich history at the Waterford Treasures, a group of three excellent museums showcasing artefacts from Waterford’s past. Don’t miss a factory tour of the famed House of Waterford Crystal, either, or the chance to sip some of the city’s superb craft beers in its many pubs. With heritage buildings, narrow old streets and a pretty harbour, Waterford is a lovely base for an Irish escape.
Beyond the city limits lies The Copper Coast, named for the copper mines which were once dotted across the region. Now a UNESCO Global Geopark, the dramatic coastline features cliffs, secret coves and striking sea stacks, making for fabulous windy rambles. Stop at the Copper Coast Geopark Visitor Centre to learn more about the geography of the area, before discovering its beautiful beaches, ancient ruins and gnarled woodland. If it’s beaches you’re after, Tradmore and Clonea are particular favourites, ideal for a relaxing family afternoon. Cycle the Waterford Greenway to soak up the region’s lush interior, hike up the craggy Comeragh Mountains to the north and admire the Mahon Falls, before heading west to Ardmore Round Tower and Cathedral. Ireland’s oldest Christian site, the impressive coastal monastery was founded by St Declan in the fifth century.
Ardmore town is lovely for a wander, as is Dungarvan. Spot the fishing boasts bobbing in the harbour, and peer into shops or galleries before picking a perch at a pub for a pint and a gorgeous seafood lunch. There are historic sites nearby, too, including Dungarvan Castle, and one of our favourite Dungarvan hotels features an award-winning restaurant and cookery school — a real foodie gem. Whether you choose to retreat to a sumptuously-appointed country house or a cosy B&B, our pick of the best places to stay in County Waterford promises top-notch food and warm hospitality in a charming natural setting.
The Best Places to Stay in County Waterford
For family friendly traditional elegance
- Waterford Castle is an imposing, ivy-clad edifice set on its own island near Waterford. The 800-year-old castle houses elegant rooms and suites featuring antique furnishings and characterful bathrooms. There are also lovely contemporary lodges with smart kitchens and up to four bedrooms — ideal for families or groups. With a tennis court, archery range, 18-hole golf course and generous gardens to explore, there's plenty to keep the whole family entertained! Pick this place for historic charm, a unique location and family-friendly facilities.
- Granville Hotel is a Waterford classic, with smart, traditional rooms and an acclaimed resturant right by the river. Perfect for exploring Waterford, the hotel offers visitors a taste of old-world glamour. Savour delicious dishes at Bianconi and retreat to your lavish suite. Family rooms make this a great base if travelling with little ones, too.
- Faithlegg House Hotel promises a decadent retreat in a grand eighteenth-century manor with an excellent restaurant. Unwind at the spa, play a round at the hotel golf course, enjoy a family game of tennis and learn to handle birds of prey from the resident falconer. Rooms and suites are lavishly appointed, and there are great family options. A smart country stay close to Waterford.
- The Tannery is a trendy townhouse and cookery school in Dungarvan, featuring 14 cosy, contemporary rooms decorated in soothing pastel shades. This is one for foodies eager to savour fantastic fare in the restaurant, or to hone their skills at the onsite school. Also well-placed for discovering Dungarvan. Intimate, stylish, and proudly food-focused.
For a quiet country escape
- Richmond House is an intimate rural hideaway, with ten bedrooms tucked away in an impressive house built in 1704. Think beautifully-manicured gardens, spacious and simple rooms, and a great restaurant using produce from the kitchen gardens. Enjoy wonderful walks and soak up the calm, quiet vibe. Pick this place for a real sense of seclusion.
- Glasha Farmhouse is a cosy B&B nestled near the Knockmealdown and Comeragh Mountains. A rambler or hiker's paradise, the hotel includes nine bright bedrooms and prides itself on hearty breakfasts, setting you up for a big day in the great outdoors. There's fishing and cycling, too, as well as heritage sites to visit. An award-winning B&B with a welcoming feel in an idyllic countryside location.
For coastal luxury
- The Cliff House Hotel features chic modernist design and spectacular sea views from its dramatic coastal location near Ardmore. Delights include the award-winning restaurant, the small, indulgent spa and the striking infinity pool. Expect bright, spacious suites with all the mod-cons and heaps of style. A luxurious seaside choice showcasing natural materials and show-stopping panoramas!
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Cork or Shannon Airports, and catch a bus or taxi to your destination in County Waterford. Alternatively, travel by train to Plunkett Railway Station which offers direct links to Dublin and Limerick, or take the ferry to Rosslare from Fishguard Harbour in Wales.
- County Waterford's many highlights are most easily reached by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between May and September for the greatest chances of sunshine and warmer weather, peaking at around 17°C. The summer is the most popular time to visit, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in County Cork.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Ireland.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in County Waterford
Best Hotels in County Waterford
Granville Hotel County Waterford 100 rooms from £82City Style - Set in a beautifully restored heritage property in the heart of the town, this hotel has lots of elegant Waterford styleFoodies - Foodies will love hotel restaurant Bianconi, which has received an AA Rosette for culinary excellenceLocal exploring - The hotel's pretty riverside location is perfect for exploring in and around County WaterfordSailing - Take a Suir River cruise and discover the beautiful landscape of County Waterford from a privileged vantage point on the river
18th-century glamour meets contemporary Irish hospitality at this elegant Waterford bolt-hole. Hand-selected antiques and plush linens add a luxury feel to the individually styled guestrooms; upgrade to an executive room for a charming balcony. Dine at the acclaimed hotel restaurant; a chic getaway. See More
Glasha Farmhouse County Waterford 9 rooms from £98Country Escape - A charming traditional farmhouse, with a warm welcome and surrounded by sublime countryside.Fishing - Fish on the Nire river which runs adjacent to the farmhouse.Sights nearby - Visit the castles at Lismore, Kilkenny, Cashel and Cahir.Full of character
Richmond House County Waterford 10 rooms from £104Local exploring - A comfortable small hotel well located to access the numerous sporting and cultural activities available in the area.Great walks - Take windswept walks along the wild mountain trails.Fishing - Find plenty of salmon in the nearby rivers.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Mount Melleray Abbey.
An imposing country house, dating back to 1704, set in beautifully manicured gardens. Spacious rooms are light and airy with soft hues, tall sash windows and simple antique furniture. An award winning restaurant serves comforting seasonal dishes with finesse. A charming country escape. See More
Faithlegg House Hotel Co.Waterford, County Waterford 66 rooms from £129Country Escape - A grand country house complete with superb food, a spa, and endless opportunities for walkingFoodies - Foodies will not be disappointed by Faithlegg's award-winning, fine dining restaurantGolf - The hotel is surrounded by its own gold course so be sure to make your puttsSpa - With pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub and a wide range of treatments available in the treatment suites
A grand 18th-century country house set in expansive grounds complete with a golf course. Interiors are decadent and spacious, filled with a choice selection of antiques, rich fabrics and roaring fires. Dining is a formal affair and there's a spoiling spa too. An indulgent rural escape. See More
The Tannery Dungarvan, County Waterford 14 rooms from £113Local exploring - Set in the heart of the town, a short stroll from the coast, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringFoodies - With an award-winning restaurant onsite and cookery courses available, this hotel is perfect for foodiesRomantic Break - Couples rate this townhouse hotel highly; reserve a table at the restaurant for a romantic evening mealSights nearby - Visit Dungarvan Castle, an Anglo-Norman fortification founded in 1185. The castle is located at the mouth of the River Colligan
Enjoy Irish hospitality in this classic townhouse hotel in County Waterford. Louvred shutters frame bright windows in the elegant guestrooms, dressed in a soft pastel palette. Book a table at the hotel's award-winning restaurant, or try a course at the acclaimed cooking school. A stylish guesthouse. See More
Waterford Castle Waterford (Ballinakill) 22 rooms from £207Country Escape - On its own private island and with a golf course onsite, it's the perfect country escape.Great walks - There are a large assortment of nature trails and walking paths to explore.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
Set on a private island, the historic Waterford Castle is an atmospheric spot for a weekend away. Awash with heritage and charm, it offers luxurious rooms, an excellent restaurant and an onsite golf-course. The modern, self-catered lodges are perfect for families or groups. See More
The Cliff House Hotel Ardmore, Co. Waterford, County Waterford 39 rooms from £2215* Luxury - This is the only hotel in Ireland offering 5 star luxury, at a coastal location.Sea Views - The seaviews are spectacular at the only luxury seaside hotel in Ireland.Outstanding locationCoastalRecommended by - Fodors, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Contemporary hotel with spectacular sea views and an award-winning restaurant. Ultra modern design from the infinity pool to the spectacular glass-walled dining room and spa. Bright bedrooms with lots of natural light and private balconies. An utterly unique homage to modernist design and comfort. See More