Search the best hotels in Waterford
Waterford is the oldest city in Ireland and is probably most famous for its crystal glass industry. Sadly its manufacturing days are largely in the past with the last factory closing down in 2009, but the city still has lots to offer visitors. Built around a beautiful harbour, it features a number of attractive buildings, some of which date back to the time of the Viking occupation of Ireland. The best places to stay in Waterford tend to be on the River Suir.
Things not to miss:
- The city is perhaps most famous for its Viking influences. Visit the so-called Viking triangle which is a nexus of streets around the city centre. It is here that Waterford's main sights are found, such as the Bishop's Palace and Reginald's Tower.
- Visit the home of Waterford Crystal and learn about the history of the city's famous glass making heritage.
- For a day's adventure, get out of the city and head down to the majestic Copper Coast.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Waterford showcase the city's rich history and heritage.
The best places to stay in Waterford
For an historic stay
- Situated on its own private island, just off centre of the city, Waterford Castle is a truly unique place. Striking from the outside and impressive from the inside, it's an amazing place to stay if you enjoy heritage houses.
For a private apartment or house
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Waterford is Cork (88 miles) or Shannon (109 miles). Alternatively, travel by train to Plunkett Railway Station which has direct links to Dublin and Limerick.
- Our online partner Rentalcars offer great rates on car hire.
- The best time to visit Waterford is from June to September, when you have the best chance of catching Ireland's elusive good weather.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Waterford
Granville Hotel County Waterford 100 rooms from £82
18th-century glamour meets contemporary Irish hospitality at this elegant Waterford bolt-hole. Hand-selected antiques and plush linens add a luxury feel to the individually styled guestrooms; upgrade to an executive room for a charming balcony. Dine at the acclaimed hotel restaurant; a chic getaway.City Style - Set in a beautifully restored heritage property in the heart of the town, this hotel has lots of elegant Waterford styleFoodies - Foodies will love hotel restaurant Bianconi, which has received an AA Rosette for culinary excellenceLocal exploring - The hotel's pretty riverside location is perfect for exploring in and around County WaterfordSailing - Take a Suir River cruise and discover the beautiful landscape of County Waterford from a privileged vantage point on the river
Waterford Castle Waterford (Ballinakill) 22 rooms from £207
Set on a private island, the historic Waterford Castle is an atmospheric spot for a weekend away. Awash with heritage and charm, it offers luxurious rooms, an excellent restaurant and an onsite golf-course. The modern, self-catered lodges are perfect for families or groups.Country Escape - On its own private island and with a golf course onsite, it's the perfect country escape.Great walks - There are a large assortment of nature trails and walking paths to explore.Full of character