Search the best hotels in Wexford
Nestled on the south-eastern coast of Ireland at the mouth of the River Slaney, Wexford’s stunning scenery, lively culture and proud history make it a must-visit destination. Accommodation options range from simple, self-catering properties to bustling city hotels ideal for weekending couples. Our pick of the best places to stay in Wexford include a gorgeous castle turned B&B and several waterfront properties in the centre of town.
For starters we'd recommend you wander the medieval cobbled streets and soak up the atmosphere of this historic town (it has roots that date back to the Vikings). Just outside town visit Irish National Heritage Park. There, you’ll marvel at two distinct settlements from the Stone, Viking and Norman ages. History buffs should check out Selskar Abbey to learn about the historic setting of the first peace treaty between the Anglo-Norman conquerors and local Irish rulers. Johnstown Castle Estate is another highlight and its gardens are particularly special.
The annual Wexford Opera Festival is perhaps the crowning glory of Wexford's events calendar. Running for a couple of weeks at the end of October to early November, it's a magnet for music lovers from round the globe, and earns widespread praise for the quality of its productions of rarely performed pieces.
As you'd expect from a vibrant Irish town, there are plenty of options for food and drink here; enjoy a fine-dining seafood extravaganza or settle into the local pub and enjoy the craic. Wexford has the lot and everything in between too!
The best places to stay in Wexford fill up fast during the summer and the Opera Festival, so be sure to book your stay well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in Wexford
For a central location
- Clayton Whites Hotel is a sleek, modern hotel, providing supremely comfortable if functional guestrooms and a range of top quality facilities in a super central location. With great sea views and a state of the art health club, spa and cryotherapy clinic, it caters equally for business and pleasure.
- Equally modern, but with a bit more character, nearby Talbot Hotel offers luxurious, light and spacious guestrooms (there are family friendly options too) in soft grey hues and with good sea views. Amenities on offer include an indoor pool, a gym, and a fine dining restaurant and bar. A comfortable base for local exploring.
- For an affordable self-catering option, consider Talbot Suites at Stonebridge next door, a collection of one, two and three-bedroom apartments, with polished wood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows and modern furniture. Each comes with a balcony and fully-equipped kitchen. An great base for groups or families.
Just Out of Town
- Top choice in the Wexford area, just outside town and surrounded by beautiful rugged scenery, is Killiane Castle, a majestic 17th century house turned country B&B with a Norman castle attached. Rooms are not super deluxe, but full of traditional old world charm, large sash windows and well chosen antiques. With a host of outdoor pursuits to choose from, both on and off the property, it's a great value option for a relaxing stay.
- Another option on the edge of Wexford is the 4 star Whitford House Hotel, with modern/traditional styling in a contemporary building. Rooms are comfortable and functional, and the facilities are excellent, with a choice of two restaurants, an indoor pool, and a spa. It's great for families, too, with a playground, a kids' pool, and a wide range of children's activities. There's also a self catering 4 room cottage for hire.
For a self catering cottage or apartment
- We recommend you contact our partners Booking.com who have accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes.
- Waterford Airport is nearest, an hour by road, while Dublin airport is just over two hours away.
- The best time to visit is May to September, though for the best chance of warm weather, and if you don't mind the crowds (and higher room rates), come in July and August.
- If you want to hire a car, visit our car rental page.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in County Wexford.
- Expand even further and check out all our Ireland recommendations
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Wexford
Best Hotels in Wexford
Talbot Hotel Wexford 107 rooms from £70Local exploring - Whether you want to enjoy long walks, visit historic sites or explore the museums & galleries of Wexford — there's plenty to doValue chic - With doubles starting at well under £100, this is a very well priced stay for all the amenities offeredFamily Suites - There are a range of three family suite sizes which comfortably sleep between 3 - 6Restaurant - Oysterlane Restaurant offers fine dining using seasonal produce and Ballast Bank serves casual bar food
A contemporary luxury hotel set in the heart of the coastal town of Wexford. Spacious rooms are light and airy with plush headboards, floor-to-ceiling windows, and soft grey hues. With extensive amenities including an indoor pool, gym, fine dining restaurant and bar, this is a very comfortable base. See More
Whitford House Hotel Wexford 36 rooms from £74Families - Well designed for families with onsite facilities including a playground, kids' pool, and a wide range of children's activitiesSelf catering - There's the option to stay in Brambles, a 4 bedroom self catering cottage set opposite the hotel, ideal for families or groupsSights nearby - There are several historic attractions nearby including Hook Lighthouse and Peninsula and Loftus HallGreat walks - There are miles of scenic hiking trails running along the coast and through the surrounding countryside
Clayton Whites Hotel Wexford 157 rooms from £95City Style - Super modern, stylish interiorsGreat walks - Irish National Heritage ParkSights nearby - Beautiful Wexford beachesFishing - Bass Fishing Wexford
Recently renovated, modern hotel with state-of-the-art leisure facilities. Simple rooms with WiFi, satellite TV and excellent sea views. Superb health club, spa and cryotherapy clinic. A large functional hotel that can accommodate all requirements for business and leisure. See More
Killiane Castle County Wexford 8 rooms from £100Country Escape - A luxurious rural retreat surrounded by beautiful rugged countryside.Great walks - Follow the tree lined nature trail that runs straight from the property.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.
A majestic 15th century Castle and 17th century house turned country B&B. Individually styled rooms are traditional yet unfussy with soft patterns, large sash windows and choice antiques. With a host of outdoor pursuits both on and off the property, it offers good value, old world charm. See More
Talbot Suites at Stonebridge Wexford 69 rooms from £130Self catering - Each apartment comes with a fully-equipped kitchen, a lounge, and a terrace — perfect for longer stays or independent travellersFamilies - A choice of one, two, or three bedroom apartments that can be assembled to double or twin rooms mean this is ideal for familiesSights nearby - Visit some of Wexford's most famed historic attractions including Johnstown Castle and Enniscorthy CastleGolf - For those on a golfing break, there are no less than four courses to choose from in the area
A collection of one, two and three-bedroom self-catering apartments set near the coast in Wexford Town. Contemporary in design, expect polished wood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows & simple modern furniture. Each comes with a balcony and fully-equipped kitchen. An easy base for groups or families. See More