- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Bergamo
Architecturally beautiful Bergamo overlooks the southern plains offering wonderful views, wonderful art, and some wonderful dining opportunities. All these pleasures can be found in the Upper Town, Città Alta, which is one of the best places to stay in Bergamo if you are here for the city’s legendary historic atmosphere.
Città Bassa is the modern town at the bottom of the hill, connected to the top by a funicular. Here you’ll find the best places to stay in Bergamo if you’re on a budget or prefer a more modern style of hotel.
Città Alta’s spiderweb of tiny streets is surrounded by 5kms worth of Venetian walls., At the heart of it all is the Piazza Vecchia, lined with elegant architecture - both Renaissance and earlier - and cafes. The highest point is provided by the Torre del Campanone, a huge square tower which reaches 52metres above the city. Charmingly the tower’s bell still rings out the curfew at 10pm.
Aside from that, the Città Alta offers architectural treats wherever you look. Behind several of the wonderful Palazzo’s facades are impressive collections of art - especially Italian. The Accademia Carrara is one of the best known. Then there’s the religious architecture and art. Bergamo’s baroque Duomo sits ontop of Roman ruins and the Basilica de Santa Maria Maggiore is a wonderful blend of the best of Bergamo’s architectural styles.
The funicular saves your legs on the steep, winding streets and the views are spectacular. There is also a second funicular which takes you up to San Vigilio, a small town higher up the alps.
What not to miss:
- Wander through the charming Città Alta stopping at Piazza Vecchia for a coffee.
- Visit the church and mausoleum Cappella Colleoni, a masterpiece of Giovanni Antonio Amadeo a local artist from Pavia.
- Make a stop in the Accademia Carrara gallery, one of the oldest art galleries in all of Italy.
- Take a stroll through Bergamo’s beautiful botanical garden, Orto Botanico.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Bergamo offer period style and fabulous food.
For period charm
- The GombitHotel is a 13th Century property in a wonderful medieval square in Bergamo. There are lots of nice, quirky touches to the decor but the 13 rooms are fairly neutral and modern.
The Relais da Vittorio is a world renowned restaurant with ten elegant, boutique style rooms. The restaurant has been in the family for generations and they offer guests access to a beautiful garden and pool.
The restaurant with rooms Relais Florian Maison serves exemplary modern Italian cuisine and boasts a fabulous location in pretty rural surrounds.
For an apartment
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Milan or Bergamo's Orio al Serio International Airport. From Bergamo city there are regular trains to Milan, Lecco and Brescia then on to Verona and Venice.
- Best time to visit - Bergamo is a year-round destination but for almost guaranteed sunshine travel in the summer months (June - August) where temperatures hover around 30°C.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Bergamo
Relais da Vittorio 10 rooms from £219Bergamo
A famous restaurant with boutique rooms. Da Vittorio restaurant ranks as one of the best in the world and has been in the family for generations. Boutique rooms and suites have elegant furnishings. Excellent food, swimming pool and gardens, and extensive facilities for special occasions. Foodies!FoodiesCooking classes - The restaurant has a professional cookery school.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Relais Florian Maison 6 rooms from £149Bergamo
An elegant restaurant with rooms situated in pretty rural surrounds. Spacious rooms with hints of Italian grandeur alongside more simple contemporary design. A stunning restaurant serves modern Italian cuisine. Lovely walks and cycle trials will work up an appetite. A foodie's haven.Country Escape - Beautiful surrounding countryside ideal for hiking and cycling or simply relaxing.Foodies - Modern Italian cuisine with spectacular tasting menus.Cooking classes - Every first Monday of the month sign up to step into a professional kitchen and learn to cook a three course meal.Great walks - Miles of hiking trials starting from nearby the hotel.
GombitHotel 13 rooms from £167Bergamo
Located in a medieval square this 13th century property is part of the history of Bergamo. Minimal rooms with neutral palettes create a modern, organic look using natural materials. Sculptures and quirky accents like a library ceiling clad in books inject colour. A regional breakfast is served.Great walks - Go on one of the daily walking tours exploring the history of the old city.Sights nearby - The Santa Maria Maggiore Cathedral is just a couple of minutes walk away.Local markets - Take the funicolare between the old and new city.Cooking classes - Check for timings.