Search the best hotels in Perugia
Umbria is known for its wonderful medieval hilltop towns and the undulating hills they perch upon, and one of its finest is the capital of this beautiful region, Perugia, a city with a wonderful historic centre, out of which emanates a tangle of wonderful alleyways. Some of the best places to stay in Perugia can be found along these cobbled streets; but if you’re looking for wonderful Umbrian peace and quiet as well as the bustle of this culturally rich university city then there are plenty of splendid options just outside the city itself.
As well as being known for its medieval art and architecture, Perugia is also famous for its chocolates (there's a Chocolate Festival here every October). And of course its internationally renowned Jazz Festival held in July, which makes for an interesting juxtaposition with the backdrop. During the summertime music fills the piazzas, but there is still plenty of cultural buzz if you come outside of festival time.
Beyond that there are museums, more graceful squares, impressive galleries, hallowed churches, restaurants, cafes, as well as chocolate and gelato shops. Mmm, Italy.
With so much to see and do in the area the best places to stay in Perugia are very popular so do plan ahead and book early.
The Best Places to Stay in Perugia
In the centre of town
- Hotel Brufani is situated bang in the centre of town, and is the only five star offering in Perugia. Stylish rooms nod to the property's artistocratic past, and the best suite offers multiple rooms and a private terrace. Plus there's an excellent restaurant and totally indulgent spa. Ideal for those who like their culture with a splash of luxury.
- Locanda della Posta is located on Perugia's main street, so ideal if you want to explore on foot. Interiors boast loads of original features including frescoed ceilings in the communal areas, whilst bedrooms are completely the opposite - sleek and contemporary.
- The Castello di Monterone is a 14th Century castle with 18 stylish rooms overlooking the beautifully undulating Umbrian countryside. There’s a hammam where you can have a massage, a fabulous pool and private cooking lessons are also available.
- The Relais Casamassima offers the best of all worlds, a blissful slice of rural relaxation, yet only a few kms outside Perugia. There are five individually designed rooms, plus lovely gardens with a seasonal pool, all surrounded by vineyards and olive groves and no sounds apart from the local wildlife. Simply heavenly!
For an historic property
- Alla Posta Dei Donini is also located just outside Perugia, this time to the south. The property dates back to the 17th century and is filled with beautiful original features including frescoed ceilings, decorated doors and paintings in the sitting rooms. Rooms and suites continue this theme with their traditionally classic style, which goes hand-in-hand with all the mod cons you need! In addition you'll find a wonderful Biowellness spa and gourmet restaurant.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Perugia is lovely in the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 24°C in July and August. If you fancy a bit of bustle then this is the best time to come, with the Jazz Festival taking place in July and plenty of tourists still milling around in August.
- On the other hand, if you'd rather a quieter visit then consider coming in September. With an average temperature of 20°C, the weather's still perfectly pleasant for heading out sightseeing.
- International visitors can fly into Umbria International Airport, which is sitauted about 15km east of the city centre.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Perugia for you?
Best Hotels in Perugia
Relais Casamassima 06134 Perugia PG 5 rooms from £139
A lovely 16th-century Umbrian farmhouse surrounded by lush gardens. The five rooms are set around a leafy central courtyard creating a feeling of privacy. Each room is individually decorated some more classically romantic and others more modern and minimal. A truly bucolic rural getaway!Local exploring - Perugia is just 15 minutes away by car.Sights nearby - Visit amazing Umbrian sights such as The Labyrinth of Hadrian, an underground city, and the legendary Narni FortressGreat walks - There are wonderful countryside paths around the area for guests to enjoyCooking classes - The host offers cooking classes at weekends
Alla Posta dei Donini Perugia (Umbria) 48 rooms from £108
This elegant hotel occupies a historic residence in the town of San Martino in Campo. Guestrooms are located in two interconnected villas and feature classic interior design and heritage details; the best suites offer multiple rooms with original door and ceiling frescoes. A stately country retreat.Hideaway - Nestled in the Umbrian countryside just outside of Perugia, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - This heritage hotel, with its modern spa and pool, makes a romantic setting for a couple's getawaySpa breaks - The state-of-the-art facilities at the hotel spa make it a great option for a spa break holidayCooking classes - Take a cooking class in Perugia and discover the secrets to Umbrian cuisine; enquire at the hotel for recommendationsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Castello di Monterone Perugia 18 rooms from £117
A 14th century castle located atop the Umbrian hills and rolling countryside. There is indoor and outdoor dining and a locally sourced menu. Stylish rooms ooze period charm: arched windows, exposed stone, four poster beds and whitewashed decor. There is a pool, hammam and massage available.Cooking classes - Learn the local cooking traditions with a private cooking class.Views - Gorgeous panoramic views of the surrounding countrysideSights nearby - The Basilica di San Francesco is a must see.Spa - Small wellness area
Locanda della Posta 06121 Perugia PG 17 rooms from £130
A gorgeous Perugian townhouse hotel with original ceiling frescoes and smart interiors offering fresh, tasty breakfasts. Rooms are chic and minimal in a calm neutral palette, featuring comfortable beds and tasteful fittings. A great city bolthole popular with couples.City Style - Located on Perugia's main street with sights, shops, bars and restaurants on the doorstepGreat walks - Walk along the water supply of the city starting from the iconic Fontana Maggiore, the symbol of PerugiaSights nearby - Visit The Etruscan Arch, San Lorenzo Church and the Arco d’AugustoDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Hotel Brufani Perugia (Umbria) 94 rooms from £171
This luxury hotel is the only five-star offering in Perugia. Rooms nod to the property's aristocratic past with classic interior design and luxury fabrics; the best suite offers multiple rooms and a private terrace. Eat at the refined hotel restaurant before booking into the spa; an elegant stay.Total relaxation - With a spa and restaurant on-site, plus fantastic service from hotel staff, you can completely relax on your break at this hotelHoneymoons - The impressive suites at this heritage hotel are exactly the added luxury that will make your honeymoon one to rememberRomantic Break - Couples are bowled over by the beautifully appointed rooms and high-end facilities at this chic hotelRomantic - Good for couples.