- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Perugia
Umbria is known for its wonderful medieval hilltop towns and the undulating hills they perch upon. The capital of this beautiful region is Perugia, a city with a wonderful historic centre, out of which emanates a tangle of wonderful alleyways. Some of the best places to stay in Perugia can be found along these cobbled streets; but if you’re looking for wonderful Umbrian peace and quiet as well as the bustle of this culturally rich university city then there are plenty of splendid options on the hills surrounding the city.
As well as being known for its medieval art and architecture, Perugia is also known for its chocolates. And of course its internationally renowned Jazz Festival held in July, which makes for an interesting juxtaposition with the backdrop. During the summertime music fills the piazzas, but there is still plenty of cultural buzz if you come outside of festival time.
Beyond that there are museums, more graceful squares, impressive galleries, hallowed churches, restaurants, cafes, as well as chocolate and gelato shops. Mmm, Italy.
With so much to see and do in the area the best places to stay in Perugia are very popular so do plan ahead and book early.
What Not To Miss
- If you like the sound of the chocolates then you’ll want to visit the Casa del Cioccolato - which is an Italian chocolate factory par excellence.
- If you’re here for the art then you’ll find several of the greatest treasures in the Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria, which spans history from the Byzantine flavoured 13th Century to Gothic and Renaissance works.
- If you’re interested in the architecture then the Palazzo dei Priori is a ‘must-see’, a Gothic palace with details more usually seen on a fortress, and ornamentation more usually reserved for churches or cathedrals.
- Compared to this castle, Perugia’s actual cathedral, the Cattedrale di San Lorenzo, looks rather stark and medieval, so it’s a great contrast and an equally fascinating place to see.
- The Basilica de San Pietro is more the sort of church you’ll be used to seeing in Umbria, a grand 10th Century mix of gilt and marble.
- The Castello di Monterone is a 14th Century castle with 18 stylish rooms overlooking the beautifully undulating Umbrian countryside. There’s a hammam where you can have a massage, a fabulous pool and private cooking lessons are also available.
- Le Tre Vaselle is a beautiful five star hotel with a fabulous Italian restaurant and a weekly Italian cookery course. Plus, there's a beautiful pool, a spa and an impressive wine cellar.
- The Castello dell'Oscano is a medieval castle converted into a 37 room hotel. The decor is traditional and the interiors wonderfully historic. There is a top restaurant and lovely grounds with a pool and horse riding facilities.
- Close to Lake Trasimeno, the Country House Montali is a rustic country house surrounded by 25 acres of olive groves. There is a beautiful garden and pool as well as an award-winning restaurant specialising in vegetarian cuisine. Situated just a short distance from Perugia, but far enough away for it to feel like an escape.
- Slow Life Umbria - Relais de Charme, amongst rolling hills and green valleys, offers modern, minimalist accommodation belying its rustic exterior, and a lovely outdoor pool.
- Locanda De Gallo is a secluded country house offering smart, colourful rustic rooms. Spend your days out by the pool soaking up the sun or go on long walks around the area.
- The Borgo di Carpiano is a carefully restored hamlet in the hills with ten peaceful rooms and suites. As well as the wonderful views, there is an infinity pool to enjoy them from.
For Great Value
- Close to Perugia, the castle-like Relais Il Canalicchio is in a great hilltop spot with wonderful valley views. The 47 rooms, suites and apartments are chic, yet traditional. The restaurant offers fantastic local cuisine and there are tennis courts, a pol and a spa.
For Group Trips
- Tenuta Di Murlo boasts luxurious individually designed villas in an idyllic location with wonderful views of the area. Each villa features it's own private pool, whilst there is a golf course just a stone's throw away and lovely grub served up.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Perugia is lovely in the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 24°C in July and August. If you fancy a bit of bustle then this is the best time to come, with the Jazz Festival taking place in July and plenty of tourists still milling around in August.
- On the other hand, if you'd rather a quieter visit then consider coming in September. With an average temperature of 20°C, the weather's still perfectly pleasant for heading out sightseeing.
- International visitors can fly into Umbria International Airport, with Ryanair offering direct flights from London Stansted.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Perugia for you?
Best Hotels in Perugia
Castello dell'Oscano 37 rooms from $109Perugia, Umbria
Go back in time in this Medieval Castle set in the Umbrian hills. Steeped in history with plush, antique decors to match. The restaurant serves traditional local cuisine, some from the organic vegetable plot. There is a well stocked library, expansive grounds a pool and horse riding facilities.Local markets - This region is famed for its food and Ponte San Giovanni is one of the largest markets in the area.Sights nearby - The Palazzo dei Priori, a Gothic Palace, houses the region's best collection of Umbrian artwork.Cooking classes - For up to 10 people. Truffle hunting can be arranged for small groups during the seasonSwimming Pool - Large outdoor pool
Relais il Canalicchio 47 rooms from $57Perugia
An enchanting castle-like hotel in Umbria set on a hill with charming valley views. A selection of traditional chic rooms, suites, or two-room apartments with balconies. Fantastic Umbrian restaurant, an extensive spa, tennis courts, gardens and a pool. An ideal spot for an active country escape.Families - Three two-room apartments are perfect for families.Views - Lovely views over the valleys below.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRomantic Break
Le Tre Vaselle 52 rooms from $178Perugia (Torgiano)
A beautiful Five Star hotel set in an historic country house. Romantic rooms are large with wooden floors, pretty bathrooms and chic textiles. Fabulous Italian restaurant and weekly cookery course, extensive spa, and wine cellars. Romantic, gourmet, pampering and informative.Cooking classes - In the kitchen with the chefs of ALMA, The International School of Italian CuisineFoodies - A weekly course is dedicated to the discovery of Italian food and wineWine tasting - The cellar of Le Tre Vaselle and Lungarotti museumsSpa - BellaUve Vinotherapy spa
Country House Montali 9 rooms from $274Perugia (Tavernelle di Panicale)
Rustic country house in 25 acres of olive groves. Interiors feature exposed stone walls, terracotta floors and views over the Umbrian hills. Outdoor pool and gardens. Award winning vegetarian cuisine in the restaurant. Indulgent, secluded and charming.Country Escape - Real peace in the Umbrian hills with an outdoor pool and 25 acres of olive groves to get lost inFoodies - Vegetarian haute cuisine in the restaurant, drawing on Italian and Brazilian influencesSights nearby - The historic towns of Perugia and Assisi can be reached in under an hourGreat walks - 20-minute drive from scenic Lake Trasimeno
Castello di Monterone 18 rooms from $154Perugia
A 14th century castle located atop the Umbrian hills and rolling countryside. There is indoor and outdoor dining and a locally sourced menu. Stylish rooms ooze period charm: arched windows, exposed stone, four poster beds and whitewashed decor. There is a pool, hammam and massage available.Cooking classes - Learn the local cooking traditions with a private cooking class.Views - Gorgeous panoramic views of the surrounding countrysideSights nearby - The Basilica di San Francesco is a must see.Spa - Small wellness area