Search the best hotels in Perugia
Umbria is known for its wonderful medieval hilltop towns and the undulating hills they perch upon, and one of its finest is the capital of this beautiful region, Perugia, a city with a wonderful historic centre, out of which emanates a tangle of wonderful alleyways. Some of the best places to stay in Perugia can be found along these cobbled streets; but if you’re looking for wonderful Umbrian peace and quiet as well as the bustle of this culturally rich university city then there are plenty of splendid options just outside the city itself.
As well as being known for its medieval art and architecture, Perugia is also famous for its chocolates (there's a Chocolate Festival here every October). And of course its internationally renowned Jazz Festival held in July, which makes for an interesting juxtaposition with the backdrop. During the summertime music fills the piazzas, but there is still plenty of cultural buzz if you come outside of festival time.
Beyond that there are museums, more graceful squares, impressive galleries, hallowed churches, restaurants, cafes, as well as chocolate and gelato shops. Mmm, Italy.
With so much to see and do in the area the best places to stay in Perugia are very popular so do plan ahead and book early.
The Best Places to Stay in Perugia
In the centre of town
- Hotel Brufani is situated bang in the centre of town, and is the only five star offering in Perugia. Stylish rooms nod to the property's artistocratic past, and the best suite offers multiple rooms and a private terrace. Plus there's an excellent restaurant and totally indulgent spa. Ideal for those who like their culture with a splash of luxury.
- Locanda della Posta is located on Perugia's main street, so ideal if you want to explore on foot. Interiors boast loads of original features including frescoed ceilings in the communal areas, whilst bedrooms are completely the opposite - sleek and contemporary.
For a rural B&B
- Relais Casamassima is a gorgeous five bedroom property just 5km from Perugia. Here it's all about peace, quiet and relaxation. Amid the lovely mature gardens you'll find a seasonal pool for days with your book or simply admiring the view; if you can't be bothered to move, lunch and dinners can be provided on request.
- The Castello di Monterone is a 14th Century castle with 18 stylish rooms overlooking the beautifully undulating Umbrian countryside. There’s a hammam where you can have a massage, a fabulous pool and private cooking lessons are also available.
For an historic property
- Alla Posta Dei Donini is also located just outside Perugia, this time to the south. The property dates back to the 17th century and is filled with beautiful original features including frescoed ceilings, decorated doors and paintings in the sitting rooms. Rooms and suites continue this theme with their traditionally classic style, which goes hand-in-hand with all the mod cons you need! In addition you'll find a wonderful Biowellness spa and gourmet restaurant.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Perugia is lovely in the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 24°C in July and August. If you fancy a bit of bustle then this is the best time to come, with the Jazz Festival taking place in July and plenty of tourists still milling around in August.
- On the other hand, if you'd rather a quieter visit then consider coming in September. With an average temperature of 20°C, the weather's still perfectly pleasant for heading out sightseeing.
- International visitors can fly into Umbria International Airport, which is sitauted about 15km east of the city centre.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Perugia for you?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Umbria?
- Or consider refining your search to by hotel type? and consider just the best boutique hotels in Umbria? or the best luxury hotels in Umbria? or best B&Bs in Umbria?
- Or you could contact, one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Perugia
Best Hotels in Perugia
Relais Casamassima 06134 Perugia PG 5 rooms from £182Country Escape - With pretty gardens, a pool, cosy log fires and vineyards, this is an ideal country hideaway for both summer and winter breaks.Sights nearby - Visit amazing Umbrian sights such as The Labyrinth of Hadrian, an underground city, and the legendary Narni Fortress.Total relaxation - Surrounded by vineyards and olive groves, and with little sounds but the crickets and birds. Peaceful bliss!Romantic Break - With just five rooms and a wonderful tranquil atmosphere, it's ideal for a romantic getaway.Recommended by - I Escape
A lovely 16th-century Umbrian farmhouse surrounded by lush gardens. The five rooms are set around a leafy central courtyard creating a feeling of privacy. Each room is individually decorated some more classically romantic and others more modern and minimal. A truly bucolic rural getaway! See More
Alla Posta dei Donini Perugia (Umbria) 48 rooms from £108Hideaway - Nestled in the Umbrian countryside just outside of Perugia, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - This heritage hotel, with its modern spa and pool, makes a romantic setting for a couple's getawaySpa breaks - The state-of-the-art facilities at the hotel spa make it a great option for a spa break holidayCooking classes - Take a cooking class in Perugia and discover the secrets to Umbrian cuisine; enquire at the hotel for recommendationsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This elegant hotel occupies a historic residence in the town of San Martino in Campo. Guestrooms are located in two interconnected villas and feature classic interior design and heritage details; the best suites offer multiple rooms with original door and ceiling frescoes. A stately country retreat. See More
Locanda della Posta 06121 Perugia PG 17 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Visit The Etruscan Arch, San Lorenzo Church and the Arco d’Augusto, all within easy striking distance of the hotel.Great walks - Walk along the water supply of the city starting from the iconic Fontana Maggiore, the symbol of Perugia.Museums - For a shot of culture head to the Museo Archeologico and the Galleria Nazzionale dell'arte.Wildlife Area - If you want a break from city's bustle head to the beautiful Parco Naturale di Monte Tezio.
Castello di Monterone Perugia 18 rooms from £154Cooking classes - The hotel offers private cooking classes, a romantic afternoons activity and a wonderful way to take Italy home with you.Romantic Break - For a fairytale expereince request Camera delle Dame, an intimate room offering fabulous views fully frescoed walls.Sights nearby - San Bevignate Templar church is just down the road and well worth checking out for its 13th-century frescoes.Great walks - From the Tiber Valley to the Valnerina there are many hiking routes in Umbria.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels , Tablet
A 14th century castle located atop the Umbrian hills. There are indoor and outdoor dining options and a locally sourced menu. Stylish rooms ooze period charm: arched windows, exposed stone, four poster beds and whitewashed decor. There is a pool, hammam and massages available. See More
Hotel Brufani Perugia (Umbria) 94 rooms from £206Total relaxation - With a spa & restaurant on-site, plus fantastic service from hotel staff, you can completely relax on your break at this hotel.Honeymoons - The impressive suites at this heritage hotel are exactly the added luxury that will make your honeymoon one to remember.Museums - Visit the Museo Archeologico Nazionale dell'Umbria, an archaeological museum with an extensive collection.Other Activities - Enjoy a truffle-hunting experience with truffle company Urbani Tartufi, in partnership with the hotel.
This luxury hotel is the only five-star offering in Perugia. Rooms nod to the property's aristocratic past with classic interior design and luxury fabrics; the best suite offers multiple rooms and a private terrace. Eat at the refined hotel restaurant before booking into the spa; an elegant stay. See More