The 10 Best Boutique Hotels in Umbria
The landlocked heart of Italy is renowned for its green rolling hills, its slow food movement, and its picturesque historic towns. It is also known for being a little less of a stress on the wallet, especially when compared to its neighbour Tuscany, which means you are bound to get more for your buck here. Fortunately, there are a wide array of excellent boutique hotels to choose from too. Our gurus have scanned the length and breadth of the region to bring you our top pick of the best boutique hotels in Umbria. From elegant palazzos to charming agriturismo, there is something for everyone here whether you are planning a romantic escape or a family break. So why not browse through our collection of the best boutique hotels in Umbria to start planning your stay?
- Il Ghiottone Umbro is a pretty former mill set at the foot of historic Todi. Three individually styled rooms are bright and modern. Enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal al fresco, and book a cooking class at the onsite school. Choose this property for the food and homely feel.
- Locanda Palazzone is a striking country house complete with spectacular rural views. Interiors perfectly merge the building's original features with modern minimalist style. The real draw, though, is the exemplary five course meals served each evening.
For an agriturismo
- Relais Casamassima is the place to come if you're looking for absolute tranquillity in a picturesque rural setting. The renovated farmhouse offers just five rooms which have been beautifully designed to create the feel of a chic boutique hotel. Boasting a large pool and very warm hosts, this hidden escape is a real find!
- Borgo della Marmotta is a luxurious farmhouse set amidst beautiful countryside. Boasting a lovely pool and a sauna. Spacious apartments make this an ideal choice for families.
- Misia Country Resort & Spa is another property offering self-contained apartments (some of which have attached games rooms). Located in the quiet village of Rocca Ripesena and with acres of beautiful countryside to explore. A charming spot for a family rural break.
For a relaxing stay
- Slow Life Umbria - Relais de Charme boasts a gorgeous setting just outside Perugia. Rolling hills, green valleys, and dramatic landscapes provide a backdrop to this contemporary creation. Wonderfully simple with fresh cuisine, a large pool, and yoga or tai chi on offer. A place to come and unwind.
- Nikis Resort is an old stone-built farmhouse which serves as a hideaway resort seductively perched in a hilltop village. The array of spa facilities and the traditional dining are a real draw. A perfectly tranquil escape.
For a palazzo
- Palazzo Seneca is an elegant 16th-century palazzo conversion. A family-run stay, everything is provided with a little extra care. Interiors are suitably grand with rooms featuring four-posters. The spa and restaurant make this a very appealing choice. Perfect for a couples break.
For a romantic escape
- Torre Di Moravola is a medieval watch tower renovated with minimalistic flair. Enjoy panoramic views from every room and suite, all with exposed stone work, and fire places. An ideal spot for a romantic retreat.
- Nun Assisi Relais & Spa is a five-star hotel housed in a 13th-century monastery in Assisi. Choose this property for the elegant suites (the best have original frescoes). Dinner at the gourmet restaurant, headed by Emanuele Mazzella, is a memorable occasion and the spa a real treat.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Umbria.
- Or consider our Guru's recommendations for the best B&Bs in Umbria.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Relais Casamassima 06134 Perugia PG 5 rooms from £139Local exploring - Perugia is just 15 minutes away by car.Sights nearby - Visit amazing Umbrian sights such as The Labyrinth of Hadrian, an underground city, and the legendary Narni FortressGreat walks - There are wonderful countryside paths around the area for guests to enjoyCooking classes - The host offers cooking classes at weekends
A lovely 16th-century Umbrian farmhouse surrounded by lush gardens. The five rooms are set around a leafy central courtyard creating a feeling of privacy. Each room is individually decorated some more classically romantic and others more modern and minimal. A truly bucolic rural getaway! See More
Il Ghiottone Umbro Todi (Voc. Molino) 3 rooms from £95Hideaway - Nestled on the periphery of Todi in pretty, with secluded grounds, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - The heritage building, verdant grounds and stylish rooms make this a romantic setting for a couple's getawayCooking classes - A professional in-house cookery school will have you whipping up local delicacies in no timeLocal exploring - Located within walking distance of the centre of Todi, it's a great base for local exploring
This pretty B&B is located in a former mill at the foot of historic Todi. The three individually styled rooms are bright and modern, with rustic touches adding a homely feel. Enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal al fresco, and book a cooking class at the onsite school. A charming stay for foodies! See More
Borgo della Marmotta Spoleto, Umbria 11 rooms from £104Sights nearby - Spoleto is just 10 mins away, or further afield is Orvieto (an hour).Great walks - Lovely walking through the beautiful Umbrian countrysideViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Rustic chic luxury in this renovated farmhouse in the countryside. Beautifully decorated rooms and apartments in neutral tones with four poster beds and elegant furniture. Swimming pool, sauna, and local cuisine from terraces. A great choice for a romantic holiday, very family friendly too. See More
Misia Country Resort & Spa Orvieto (Umbria) 12 rooms from £113Country Escape - Overlooking the beautiful woodlands outside of Orvieto, this resort makes a great escape to the countryLocal exploring - Located close to Orvieto, there is plenty of local exploring to do surrounding the hotelFamilies - The self-contained apartments are perfect for families travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit Orvieto Cathedral, a large 14th-century Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
This hotel is located in the quiet village of Rocca Ripesena. The resort offers private rooms and self-contained apartments; the accommodation is bright and spacious with a blend of modern and classic interior design. Book an apartment with a games room for added family fun; a charming country stay. See More
Slow Life Umbria - Relais de Charme Umbria 12 rooms from £151Views - Great views from hotelTraditional - A 17th century farmhouse just outiside Perugia.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
A gorgeous setting just outside Perugia. Rolling hills, green valleys, and dramatic landscapes provide a backdrop to this contemporary creation. Modern interiors compliment this traditional Italian farmhouse. Wonderfully simple fresh cuisine, pool, yoga, thai chi. A refreshing choice. See More
Palazzo Seneca Norcia 24 rooms from £174Romantic Break - A suave 16th-century Palazzo for a grown up getaway with palatial fourposter beds, fantastic spa and an indulgent restaurant.Local exploring - This stunning Umbrian landscape boasts fantastic walking where you might spot snow marten, red deer, and golden eagles.SpaRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Nikis Resort Gubbio PG 20 rooms from £130Hideaway - A magical location, perched a top an ancient village overlooking the valley of Assino and offering magnificent viewsActive Holiday - Lying in a rich region full of nature and outdoor recreations such as horse riding, trekking and golfSpa breaks - Offering yoga and massages plus two pools, sauna, Finnish bath and jacuzzi with stunning viewsLodgeRecommended by - Sawdays
An old stone-built farmhouse with terracotta tiling serves as a hideaway resort seductively perched in a hilltop village. The rooms have a rustic aesthetic with tiled flooring and wooden beams. An array of spa facilities are on offer and the traditional dining are a real draw. See More
Nun Assisi Relais & Spa Assisi (Piazza Giacomo Matteotti) 18 rooms from £297Country Escape - Located within an ancient monastery in the Umbrian hill town of Assisi, this hotel makes a unique escape to the countryLocal exploring - There is plenty of local exploring to be done in and around the pretty town of Assisi where the hotel is situatedRomantic Break - The hotel's luxury suites and heritage features score highly with couples on a romantic breakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
This five-star hotel is housed in a 13th-century monastery in Assisi, Umbria. Suites have elegant, modern interior design; the best feature original frescoes and exposed stone walls. Eat at the gourmet restaurant, headed by Emanuele Mazzella, before a drink at the cosy bar; a unique heritage hotel. See More
Locanda Palazzone Orvieto, Umbria 5 rooms from £161Views - Hilltop position affording stunning views over the surrounding countrysideFoodies - 5 course set dinnnersGourmetRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape