Search the best hotels in Beppu
The undisputed gem of Japan's hot spring resort scene, Beppu is a wonderful destination for travellers in search of restoration and rejuvenation. Nestled in the Oita region of Kyushu Island, Beppu boasts a whole host of accommodation options, suitable for a range of tastes and budgets. The hillside city overlooks the coast at Beppu Bay, and some of the best places to stay in Beppu offer striking sea views, as well as all the quiet charm of a traditional ryokan.
Vistors to Beppu are drawn by the same natural wonders which have appealed to the Japanese for hundreds of years: warm steam rising from the earth to create the perfect conditions for onsen-bathing. Venture up into the hills to bathe in different springs, tour the iconic Onsen Hells -- groups of boiling hot springs -- or unwind in the comfort of your hotel, where there will be communal baths, and possibly private tubs to enjoy. Reputedly excellent for the body and the skin, Beppu's legendary springs are popular with couples, families and groups of friends or business associates.
Spend your days hiking up nearby Mount Tsurumi for spectacular views -- which can also be enjoyed from atop Beppu Tower -- strolling along the beachfront or exploring the shops, bars and eateries of this lively university city. The Beppu Traditional Bamboo Craft Centre is well worth a visit, too, detailing the many marvels of the fast-growing trees which are found in abundance across the region.
Alongside their hot springs, most properties also feature spas with wonderful massage treatments, as well as fabulous regional specialities to sample and savour in their restaurants. Many of the best places to stay in Beppu offer a brilliant opportunity to experience the intimacy of a ryokan -- a traditional Japanese inn featuring tatami-matted floors, paper shutters, futon bedding and intricately-designed gardens. A tranquil, friendly city, Beppu is a fantastic place to unwind in absolute bliss.
The Best Places to Stay in Beppu
For a traditional Ryokan
- Yamada Bessou offers 11 simple, authentic rooms set in the city centre. Stay here for tatami matting on light wooden floors, and paper shutters framing views of the tranquil gardens. The fantastic regional fare and communal or private hot springs are real highlights.
- Kappo Ryokan Sennari promises just eight atmospheric rooms in central Beppu. Pick this property for its excellent location and intimate, low-key vibe. There's a hot water spring bath and a sense of calm. Experience the feel of a traditional ryokan as you feast on delicious seafood -- the restaurant's speciality!
- Beppu Showaen takes the classic ryokan concept to the next level with individual Japanese houses set amidst lush, manicured grounds. Each house features tatami-matting and futon bedding, beautiful garden views and an in-room or open-air hot spring bath. The multi-course gourmet Japanese meals are exceptional -- especially when served in the privacy of your own restful hideaway. A charming, romantic choice, ideal for quiet couples.
For a seaside stay
- Umikaoru Yado Hotel New Matsumi is a lovely traditional hotel with both communal and private hot spring baths. Gaze out to sea whilst immersing yourself in the restorative waters before retreating to your tatami-matted room. A classic ryokan with impressive sea views and large family rooms. Simple and authentic.
- Hotel Umine is a chic coastal spot offering both Japanese and Western-style rooms. Hot springs run through each room, there's a superb spa, and the Beppu Bay views are spectacular. You can expect excellent organic cuisine, too. Pick this place for the private open-air bath overlooking the sea. Slick, intimate and grown-up.
- Shoisai No Yado Seikai Ryokan fuses cool, contemporary design with traditional Japanese elements to create a luxurious sea-facing base. The 46 rooms and suites are spacious and offer family-friendly options -- some also have private terraces with their own hot tubs. Unwind at the spa or hot spring baths, and dine on exemplary regional dishes right at the water's edge. Smart, soothing and romantic.
For families or groups
- Suginoi Hotel is an extensive property offering beautiful hillside views, as well as fantastic facilities. An excellent family or group choice, the hotel features spacious rooms, multiple swimming pools, a bowling alley, hot springs and a spa. There are six onsite eateries, too, promising plenty of choice. A real crowd-pleaser!
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- There are regular international and domestic flights to Oita Airport, just 40 minutes by bus or car from Beppu. Most hotels will be also happy to arrange an airport pickup.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car. This makes discovering the attractions of the Oita region far simpler!
- Travel between June and September for the warmest weather, averaging at around 26°C. Come during the winter to see the town filled with warm steam rising from the hot springs.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Oita.
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations on Kyushu Island
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Beppu
Best Hotels in Beppu
Yamada Bessou Beppu 11 rooms from £104Total relaxation - A tranquil property set in pretty gardens in a city known for its healing Onsens (hot spring baths).Sights nearby - Visit the 'hells of Beppu' (strikingly coloured springs).Full of characterTraditional
A traditional Ryokan situated in picturesque gardens. Rooms are spacious with light wooden floors, tatami matting, paper shutters and roll down futons. The guesthouse chef serves up exemplary regional dishes and there's private and communal hot spring baths. A truly authentic stay. See More
Kappo Ryokan Sennari Beppu (Oita) 8 rooms from £122Local exploring - Ideally positioned, in a very central location, to explore the city.Great walks - Climb up Mount Tsurumi and enjoy the views from the top.Full of characterBoutique
A traditional Japanese inn located in central Beppu. Classically designed rooms feature paper shutters, tatami mats, floor level dining and wicker chairs. The restaurant specialises in seafood and within the tranquil gardens there's a hot water spring bath for post exploration relaxing. Charming. See More
Umikaoru Yado Hotel New Matsumi Beppu (Oita) 35 rooms from £180Local exploring - Ideally located to Beppu's main attractions.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient stone Buddha Usaki.Restaurant - Recommended.Full of character
A traditional Japanese hotel boasting an enviable location in the heart of Beppu. Classically designed rooms feature tatami mats, paper shutters and futon beds. An outdoor Onsen will ease any aches and pains post a days exploring. Regional dishes are served in the restaurant. An authentic stay. See More
Hotel Umine Beppu (Beppu-shi, Ōita-ken) 20 rooms from £186Local exploring - Hotel Umine's central location is the ideal choice for those wanting to explore BeppuSights nearby - Head over to the Hells of Beppu spring baths or check out Yukemori ObservatoryGreat walks - Head off hiking around the nearby Mount TsurumiSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Hotel Umine is located along the coast of Beppu. This sleek spot offers a variety of smart accommodation in either the Western or traditionally Japanese style (think futon bedding and onsen baths). Relax on the terrace after a day out sightseeing and take in the sea views. A splendid city stay. See More
Shiosai No Yado Seikai Ryokan Beppu (Oita) 46 rooms from £194Total relaxation - Offering both hot spring baths and a spa salon this luxury propety is the perfect spot for some city rest and recuperation.Local exploring - Well located to access the city's attractions.Sights nearby - Visit the 'hells of Beppu' also known as Beppu's natural hot water springs.Views - Great views from hotel
A sleek luxury property overlooking the ocean. Contemporary rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, enormous terraces and the best boast hot tubs. The design perfectly mixes traditional Japanese with contemporary styles. An elegant restaurant serves up exemplary regional dishes. Fabulous. See More
Suginoi Hotel Beppu (Oita) from £341Local exploring - Located near the hot spring area and with easy access to the city.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pools.Views - Great views from hotelRestaurant - Recommended.
A grand hotel located on the lush hills overlooking Beppu. A mix of Japanese and western styled rooms boast epic views. A series of Onsens (hot water springs) are utterly spoiling. Boasting a number of eateries, lounges, karaoke rooms and a bowling alley. A perfect base for exploring the region. See More
Beppu Showaen Beppu (Oita) 11 rooms from £568Total relaxation - A luxury property set in picturesque gardens. A tranquil haven amidst the city.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A collection of traditional houses set in beautifully manicured gardens. Classically designed throughout, rooms feature tatami mats, floor level dining, paper shutters and Japanese art. Each house boasts a healing hot water spring bath. Exemplary regional dishes are served in-room. Superb. See More