Search the best hotels in Ito
A historic hot spring resort town on the eastern coast of the Izu Peninsula, Ito is the perfect seaside escape from the humdrum of Tokyo. Only 90 minutes away by train, it is full of charming old ryokan (taverns), revitalising spas and fascinating historic sites. Whether you're checking out the museums, taking a boat trip and exploring its rugged coastline or relaxing in an "onsen" hot spring, you will feel your batteries recharged after a stay here. Our collection of the best places to stay in Ito has something for everyone from budget options to pure luxury.
Ito has a long and happy marriage to the sea. It was here that, in 1604, the Tokugawa Shogun ordered the English navigator, William Adams, to build Japan's first navy, a feat which ended in him becoming the first non-Japanese samurai. Rich in history and culture, it makes for a fascinating place to explore. If you head towards Izu Kogen, 10km south of the city centre, you will find a district made up of lavish villas and small museums. Be sure to check out Tokaikan, an ancient former ryokan (tavern).
Surrounded by rocky coastline and hilly terrain, be sure to head to the livey downtown area, where an abundance of trendy bars and gourmet restaurants stand. On the fishing mall strip, you can take guided boat tours of the coastline. Mount Omuro, a fantastic day-out, boasts spellbinding panoramic views of the countryside.
What not to miss
- Bathe in one of the hot spring spas.
- Visit the ancient tavern, Tokaikan.
- Head to Izu Kogen, the villa district, where you can find a great many museums.
- Take long walks along the picturesque coastline.
- Take a guided boat tour of the coastline.
- Climb up Mount Omuro.
A short train journey from Tokyo, Ito is the perfect weekend break. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Ito to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Ito
Value for money
- Hotel K's House Ito Onsen: classically Japanese rooms offered by a historic 100-year-old tavern (ryokan), complete with roll down futon beds, paper shutters and wooden floors. Just minutes from the sea.
- Seizan Yamoto: chic, spacious and traditional, this effortlessly cool hotel blends classically Japanese styles with trendy modern sensibilities. Gorgeous mountain views while you unwind in a hot spring bath. Divine.
- Abba Resorts Izu: a revitalising stay, complete with a pampering spa, hot spring baths and breathtaking views. Boasting 11 luxury villas, this adult-only hotel is unbelievably romantic.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Tokyo and get a train to Ito, the journey taking roughly 1.5 hours.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the spring, when the cherry blossom blooms, between April and May, when the temperature ranges between 11 and 23 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Japan,
- or Tokyo,
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ito
Best Hotels in Ito
Hotel K’s House Ito Onsen Ito (Shizuoka) 19 rooms from £64Value chic - An authentic Japanese experience offered at very reasonable rates.Sights nearby - Take the cable car up the extinct Mount Omuro and admire the views from the top.Full of characterTraditional
A 100 year-old ryokan offering traditional Japanese hospitality at attractive prices. Dormitory and private rooms are classically dressed with roll down futon beds, delicate paper shutters, wooden floors and low level dining tables. Just minutes from the sea and boasting views over Matsukawa river. See More
KAI Anjin Ito (Ito-shi) 45 rooms from £201Total relaxation - A tranquil spot complete with rooftop hot baths and plenty of local hikes. Just 2 hours from Tokyo, this is an ideal city escapeGreat walks - Despite being situated in a city, there are plenty of hiking trails just a short distance from the propertySights nearby - Take a chair lift up Mount Omuro (an extinct volcano) and enjoy the views from the topRestaurant - The restaurant serves menus featuring British inspired dishes
Seizan Yamoto Ito 42 rooms from £376Local exploring - Ideally located overlooking Ito giving both easy access to the surrounding countryside and city attractions.Total relaxation - Unwind in the hot spring baths whilst taking in the mountain views.Great walks - Take a walk along the scenic ragged Jyogasaki Coast.Views - Great views from hotel
A chic hotel boasting a great vantage looking across Ito and onto the surrounding mountains. Spacious rooms feature large windows, delicate paper shutters, tatami mat flooring and low level dining tables. A number of onsens provide a quiet spot to unwind. An ideal base for exploring the region. See More
Abba Resorts Izu Ito (Ito-shi) 30 rooms from £500Romantic Break - A wonderful location, beautiful accommodation and first-rate service-perfect for a romantic getaway!Total relaxation - Forget about all your worries as you unwind in their extensive spa facilitiesFoodies - Enjoy exquisite Japanese or French cuisine at their restaurantGreat walks - Set off hiking around Mt Omuro or go for a romantic stroll through the Cherry Blossoms at Izu Highlands
The chic Abba Resorts Izu is located on the outskirts of Ito, 15 minutes from the Jogasaki coast. Offers 11 luxurious villas or traditional Japanese-style rooms featuring tatami (woven-straw) flooring. Unwind in the hot-spring baths or treat yourself to a massage! A wonderfully rejuvenating stay. See More
Hanafubuki Ito (Ito) 9 rooms from £408Total relaxation - Offering seven onsen (hot springs) this hotel gives guests lots of choice for how to indulge in total relaxationBack to Nature - Set in a verdant forest in the unspoiled Ito region of Japan, book this hotel for a tranquil escape to natureFamilies - With family rooms and spacious villas available, this hotel is perfect for parents travelling with childrenSights nearby - Take a cable car up the extinct volcano Mount Omuro for beautiful views across the region from the top
This hotel offers luxury accommodation in a forest with natural hot springs in Ito. Guests can choose from well-appointed Japanese or Western-style rooms with large windows looking onto the natural landscape. Relax in one of the hotel's seven distinct Onsen before a traditional dinner. See More