Search the best hotels in Minakami
One of Gunma Prefecture's top hot spring resorts, the mountain town of Minakami has long attracted wellness-focused visitors. Just under two hours from Tokyo, the town is well-located for restful weekend breaks spent hiking or soaking in relaxing onsens during the summer months, and skiing on the surrounding slopes in the snowy winters. Accommodation options include simple cottages as well as hot spring resorts, with our pick of the best places to stay in Minakami chosen for their excellent location, style and amenities.
With beautiful views of the Gunma mountains, Minakami is brilliant for those eager to simply kick back and unwind. If you’re feeling more active, however, treks up Mount Tanigawa come highly recommended, as do mountain biking excursions and white water rafting trips. Keen skiers and snowshoers should travel during the winter months. The Taine-ji and Gakurin-ji Temples are superb, as are the eerie tunnels which run below Doai Station. Take a guided tour for a real insight into this unusual landmark.
The best places to stay in Minakami fill up fast during public holidays and over long weekends. Book your trip well in advance.
The Best Places to Stay in Minakami
For a Healing Hideaway
- Minakami Sansou is a restorative spa resort at the foot of Mount Tanigawa. Soak in hot spring baths drawn from three wells, feast on traditional kaiseki cuisine, and relax in rooms with expansive views of the mountains, forests and healing springs. A tranquil choice.
- Bettei Senjuan features wonderfully spacious traditional accommodation — think tatami flooring and private onsens — in a peaceful and secluded setting. Take a soak in one of the six communal onsens, enjoy mountain hikes or tuck into delicious food. A luxurious hot spring resort.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tokyo's Haneda International Airport or to Narita International Airport and travel two hours to Minakami by train and bus from central Tokyo.
- The Gunma region is wonderful to explore by road! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summers are warm, with temperatures hovering between 22 and 27°C. For a quieter trip and great hotel deals, we'd recommend travelling in early autumn — also a beautiful time to visit. Winters are cosy but cold and you can expect some excellent skiing.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Tokyo.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Minakami
Best Hotels in Minakami
Shojuen Minakami 13 rooms from £279Total relaxation - The hot springs are the highlight, and are lined with river washed stones from the Nishi-riverLocal exploring - Day tours available at Joshin'etsu-kogen National Park and Nature NavigatorRestaurant - Fresh, locally produced ingredients create delicious traditional cuisine from Gunma PrefectureTraditional - Authentic Japenese style rooms with Tatami floorng, futon sets and Hori Kotatasu seating
A traditional country ryokan, Shojuen offers serene mountain scenery and a unique healing experience. Traditional rooms with authentic interiors, modern furniture and simple, clean decor. Soak in crystal-clear hot springs surrounded by nature and enjoy kaiseki cuisine with the best seasonal produce. See More
Minakamisansou Minakami 18 rooms from £237Active Holiday - Set close to a number of snow resorts, there are great winter sports available near the hotel for active guestsSpa breaks - Relax and rejuvenate with treatments at this hotel's hot spring baths, drawn directly from natural sourcesRomantic Break - With beautiful landscape views and well-appointed suites, book this hotel for romantic hideaway holidaySights nearby - Visit the nearby Kashozan Ryugein Miroku-ji Temple, home to Japan's largest tengu mask
This rejuvenating spa resort is nestled at the foot of Mt. Tanigawa in Minakami. Fall asleep to the gentle sounds of a mountain stream below your room while savouring landscape views from picture windows. Complete the experience by soaking in hot spring baths drawn from three dedicated wells. See More
Bettei Senjuan Minakami (Minakami-machi) 18 rooms from £508Skiing - During the winter months, zip down the slopes at Tanbara Ski Park or Naeba Ski ResortTotal relaxation - Unwind in the hot spring baths and the sauna before enjoying revitalising massagesRomantic Break - Beautiful rooms, a quiet atmosphere and lovely cuisine make this a romantic spotGreat walks - Hike up Mount Tanigawadake and enjoy the breathtaking panoramic viewsRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Bettei Senjyuan enjoys a superb location in Mikanami and offers splendid views of Mount Tanigawa-dake. Enjoy traditional living spaces with tatami woven-straw flooring and private onsens-or try one of the six public hot-spring baths! Lovely cuisine served. A wonderfully peaceful and harmonious stay. See More