Search the best hotels in Miyajima
Stunning, secluded, and splendidly scenic: Miyajima is an utter gem. Located in the Seto Inland Sea, just an hour away from Hiroshima, Miyajima has long been considered an island of the Gods. The best places to stay in Miyajima boast gorgeous surroundings which only serve to further this reputation.
However, its name isn't actually Miyajima - which means 'Shrine Island' - but rather Itsukushima, though this name is rarely (if ever) used. The reason it's called 'Shrine Island' is due to its famous Itsukushima Shrine, a particularly noteworthy spot - at high tide the water rises up and engulfs the Torri, or gate, giving it the appearance of floating in the sea.
Flocks of tourists arrive on the island looking for a peaceful and romantic getaway. You'll find plenty fo onsens dotted around, as well as a rich culture and gorgeous scenery. Plus, there are the friendly deer which flock the streets looking for treats from unsuspecting visitors - be warned though, feeding them once might lead to unwanted attention going forward!
If you want to grab a souvenir then wander along the charming Omotosando Shopping Street, located between the ferry terminal and the shrine, or even enjoy a special pedicure by having fish nibble away at your feet.
What Not To Miss
- Be sure to take a photo of the iconic Itsukushima Shrine during high tide.
- The 535-metre tall Mount Misen boasts splendid hiking trails and wonderful views.
- Daishō-in is a stunning 9th-century Buddhist Temple with intricately-carved stone interiors.
- Or, if you want to find out more about the area's history and culture then head to the Miyajima History and Folk Museum.
A trip to Miyajima is bound to please. However, the island is becoming increasingly popular; to avoid disappointment, be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Miyajima get quickly booked up.
The best places to stay in Miyajima
For the centre of town
- Hotel Miyarikru offers traditional accommodation with wonderful views. A lovely spot.
- Of a similar ilk, Kurayado Iroha is a traditional ryokan in a great location. They do, however, also have Western-style accommodation if desired.
- Hotel Makoto is another classic ryokan which serves up delicious kaiseki cuisine.
- Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto offers both traditional Japanese and Western-style accommodation, as well as boasting a wonderfully serene location surrounded by nature.
For Outside the Centre
- Jukeiso is a traditional ryokan located a few miles outside Miyajima. Tuck into kaiseki cuisine and relax in an onsen.
- Iwaso, situated just outside the centre of town, offers traditional accommodation and lovely kaiseki dishes. A relaxing bolthole.
For a guesthouse or holiday home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Hiroshima Airport before taking a ten-minute ferry across to Miyajima.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in the summer - the average temperature hovers between 24-
29°C in August.
- If you want to fully explore the island then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Search through our entire list of the best places to stay in Miyajima.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Hiroshima.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Miyajima
Best Hotels in Miyajima
Hotel Miyarikyu Hiroshima Prefecture, Miyajima 64 rooms from £154Sights nearby - Hotel Miyarikyu is just a 5 minute walk from the historic Itsukushima ShrineGreat walks - Head off hiking around the beautiful Miyajima Tsutsumigaura Nature ParkFishing - Wander along the coast and find yourself a nice spot for some fishingTraditional
Hotel Miyarikyu is located on the island of Miyajima, a short distance from the city centre. Offers traditional Japanese accommodation (think tatami woven-straw flooring and futon bedding), and guests can unwind in the baths with superb views! Kaiseki cuisine served. A friendly and unfussy stay. See More
Jukeiso Hatsukaichi-shi, Miyajima 13 rooms from £170Local exploring - Within walking distance of town and all its sightsSights nearby - Itsukushima Shrine, the Daisho-in Temple and Five Storey Pagoda are all within a mile of the propertyGreat walks - 14-minute walk from Momijidani Park, and a 19-minute walk from the Miyajima Ropeway.Restaurant - Breakfast & Dinner are served in the restaurant.
Hotel Makoto Hiroshima, Miyajima 54 rooms from £171On an island - UNESCO World Heritage Site.Great walks - Wander through the city's streets or head off on wonderful hikes around the Miyajima Tsutsumigaura Nature ParkSights nearby - Itsukushima Shrine, the Daisho-in Temple and Five Storey Pagoda are all within a mile of the propertyRestaurant - Fresh Japanese seafood dishes and fish from Seto Inland Sea
Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto Hatsukaichi City, Miyajima 55 rooms from £268Country Escape - Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto enjoys a wonderfully serene location just outside the cityRomantic Break - Lovely accommodation, gorgeous views and sights nearby-perfect for a romantic getaway!Sights nearby - Go visit the Five Storey Pagoda, Itsukushima Shrine or Daisho-in TempleGreat walks - Wander off on a long romantic walk along the coast at sunset
Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto enjoys a wonderful location, close enough to the sights yet surrounded by beautiful nature. Rooms feature either tatami (woven-straw) flooring and futon bedding or carpeting and twin beds. Relax in the onsens or take a stroll around the garden. A lovely spot! See More
Kurayado Iroha Hatsukaichi-shi, Miyajima 18 rooms from £300Great walks - Wander through the city's streets or head off on wonderful hikes around the Miyajima Tsutsumigaura Nature ParkSights nearby - Itsukushima Shrine, the Daisho-in Temple and Five Storey Pagoda are all within a mile of the propertyViews - Wonderful views across the bay and of the Torii gateRestrictions on children - Children cannot be accomadated in this hotel
Kurayado Iroha ryokan is situated in Miyajima's Omotesando Avenue. Accommodation fusing traditional Japanese-style living areas (think tatami-mat flooring) with Western beds and chic interiors. Enjoy wonderful kaiseki cuisine at dinner! A lovey spot, perfect for both sightseeing and hiking. See More
Iwaso Hatsukaichi-shi, Miyajima 38 rooms from £308City Style - Head off into the centre of Miyajima and see all that it has to offerLocal exploring - Iwaso is just a stone's throw away from many of the city's sightsTotal relaxation - Unwind in the onsens or treat yourself to a massageGreat walks - Meander through the city's streets or Head off on wonderful hikes around the Miyajima Tsutsumigaura Nature Park
Iwaso ryokan is located a short distance outside Miyajima. Offers traditional Japanese accommodation (think tatami woven-straw flooring and futon bedding), and relaxing in their beautiful hot-spring baths is a must! Exquisite kaiseki cuisine. A splendid stay for sightseeing or pure relaxation! See More