Search the best hotels in Nagano
Nagano city, the capital of Nagano Prefecture, was originally a temple town centred around the Buddhist Zenkoji Temple. Since then, it has grown significantly: annexing nearby towns and municipalities in the 1920s, 1950s, and 1980s to become the Nagano that we know today. It is perhaps most well-known as the site of the 1998 Winter Olympics, though within Japan it's also known for its close proximity to the forested mountains which are home to Togakushi Village and its numerous Shinto shrines and it is often within this area that the best places to stay in Nagano can be found.
The city offers the best of both worlds: a centre full of cultural sights, but close proximity to wonderful hiking and cycling trails. There's plenty of stunning scenery in the city's surrounds, so make sure you get out and see it all!
Be sure to book ahead to avoid disappointment as the best places to stay in Nagano get quickly booked up.
What Not to Miss
- Culture-vultures should make sure to see Zenkoji Temple and Togakushi Shrine.
- Alternatively, head to the Togakushi Folk Museum and visit its fascinating ninja trick house!
- Take a boat out on the nearby Lake Kagami, a beautifully serene spot which is bound to impress.
The best places to stay in Nagano
For an apartment or holiday home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport before taking the bullet train across to Nagano, a journey which should take around 90 minutes.
- Alternatively, hire a car with Rentalcars and drive yourself over.
- You're best off visiting in the summer, with the average temperature rising to 33°C in July. However, this is the busiest time of year, so for a quieter alternative consider visiting in May or September.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Nagano.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in nearby Matsumoto.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nagano
Best Hotels in Nagano
Fujiiso Nagano 19 rooms from £488Views - Take in the mountains of Joshinetsu Kogen from the open air bath (fed by waters from the hot spring)Total relaxation - Take a dip in the soothing waters of the onsen and enjoy their therapeutic powersHills & mountains - Be blown away by the gorgeous horizons of the Joshinetsu Kogen mountainsGroups - The largest rooms can sleep up to five so are ideal for small groups
Far from the bustle of Takayama city, Fujiiso offers inviting, traditionally styled rooms with tatami mat floors and stunning views of the mountains; the best feature balconies and suites have a private onsen. Fresh local cuisine and a communal onsen too. A tranquil alpine retreat. See More