Search the best hotels in Naoshima
A little island on the Seto Inland Sea, Naoshima is famed both for its desolate beauty and for its abundance of surrealist art. The ideal retreat for those dreaming of something unusual, the island offers a good range of accommodation options. Whether you’re tempted by a simple private apartment or a room in a minimalist museum-hotel with marvellous sea views, our list of the best places to stay on Naoshima has it all.
The island’s big draw is undoubtedly its fabulous surrealist art installations and museums. Spend your days admiring unique pieces at Benesse House, the Lee Ufan Art Museum, the Chichu Art Museum or the Art House Project. The stunning Naoshima Pavilion and the Akakabocha — a giant colourful pumpkin — are not to be missed!
Long coastal walks, beach days, boat tours and snorkelling trips also come highly recommended. Speak to the teams at the best places to stay on Naoshima to arrange all manner of outdoorsy activities.
The Best Places to Stay on Naoshima
For Design Lovers
- Benesse House is both a hotel and a museum. Designed by a reputed architect in 1992, the property is made up of a series of modern buildings with chic, minimalist rooms, some of which offer striking coastal views. Don't miss the museum itself, the burgeoning art collection or the excellent French restaurant. For design-minded couples or families.
For Great Value
- Episode 1 offers simple private apartments with comfortable beds, sitting areas and kitchenettes. There's also a shared lounge for guests to unwind. An affordable choice, a couple of blocks from the coast.
- Bamboo Village has a more traditional feel, with dorm and private rooms set within a house surrounded by leafy gardens. Brilliant for groups, this great-value option has shared bathrooms, a shared guest kitchen and a fusion of Japanese and Western styles. Very laid-back.
FOR AN APARTMENT or HOLIDAY HOUSE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Osaka's Kansai International Airport or to catch a domestic flight to Okayama Airport. Drive or take the train to the coast, where you can hop aboard a short ferry from Uno to Honmura, on Naoshima Island.
- You may want to drive if you're exploring the island independently. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer, spring or early autumn, when temperatures range between 22 and 30°C degrees. Do expect the school holidays to be especially busy.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Okayama.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Naoshima
Best Hotels in Naoshima
Episode 1 Naoshima 2 rooms from £75Local exploring - With free bikes available from the hotel, and many renowned attractions close by, guests are well-placed for local exploringActive Holiday - There are lots of opportunities for cycling and hiking in the area surrounding the hotel, perfect for an active holidayFamilies - The self-catering apartments are great for families travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit Benesse House, a facility based on the concept of coexistence among nature, architecture, and art
Episode 1 offers basic apartments in Naoshima, Japan. Rooms are simply dressed with comfortable beds and a modest living area. All rooms are equipped with a kitchenette for self-catering and there is a shared lounge. The guesthouse also offers free bikes, great for local exploring. A relaxed stay. See More
Bamboo Village Naoshima (Kagawa Prefecture,) 5 rooms from £122Sights nearby - Explore the Art House Project, a series of abandoned buildings which have been transformed with creativityOther Activities - Visit the Giant Pumpkin by the celebrated artist Yoyoi Kusama, and the many other outdoor installationsValue chic - A great value choice in a good location with dorm rooms and a shared kitchenGroups - The dorm room has two bunk beds - perfect for a relaxed group of friends
Benesse House Naoshima (Kagawa-gun) 65 rooms from £186Romantic Break - Lovely accommodation, gorgeous views and a tranquil atmosphere-perfect for a romantic getawayOther Activities - Keep an eye out for regular events and art talks held in the museum's conference spacesMuseums - The house itself is an acclaimed museum; guided visits are a highlight of any stayBeach Life - Benesse House enjoys a superb beachfront location on the coast of the Inland SeaRecommended by - Michelin Travel
This art museum-come-hotel is situated on the coast of Naoshima island. Benesse House's four buildings offer chic minimalist accommodation with floor to ceiling windows and gorgeous views! Enjoy the restaurant's French-inspired cuisine made using local produce. A unique stay, perfect for art lovers! See More