Search the best hotels in Naoshima
Naoshima is a truly unique spot. Located in the Seto Inland Sea and part of the Kagawa Prefecture, the island is known both for its desolate beauty and for the abundance of surrealist art dotted around. You'll have never been to a place like it - so it's the ideal retreat for those who fancy a spot of something different. Our pick of the best places to stay in Naoshima range from simple traditional properties to stylish minimalist hotels (the best of which is set in a museum).
Spend your days visiting quiet museums (visitor numbers are actually restricted to add to the experience!), strolling along the beautiful beaches, or hopping on a boat tour around the island.
If you're visiting in the summer then be sure to book ahead - the best places to stay in Naoshima get quickly booked up.
What not to miss
- Culture-vultures will have a field day in Naoshima. Visit the Chichu Art Museum, Art House Project, Benesse House or Lee Ufan Art Museum.
- You should also make sure to see Akakabocha, a giant colourful pumpkin, and the architecturally stunning Naoshima Pavillion.
- Relax after a long day sightseeing and unwind in Naoshima Bath.
The best places to stay in Naoshima
For a museum
- As well as being a museum, Benesse House also boasts chic minimalist accommodation that's bound to please. Plus, there's delectable French cuisine and stunning views - a top-notch stay!
For great rates
- Episode 1 offers private apartments with simply dressed rooms featuring comfortable beds and a modest living area. All rooms are equipped with a kitchenette for self-catering and there is a shared lounge.
- A traditional property set in a pretty garden. Bamboo Village has self-catering accomodation which is well designed mixing local style with modern touches. Bunk rooms are available for groups.
For an apartment or holiday home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- You're best off visiting in the summer, with the temperatures hover between 24-32°C in August. However, this is the busiest time of year - for a quieter and potentially cheaper alternative, consider coming in May or September.
- Fly into Tokyo's Haneda or Narita Airport before taking a train to Takamatsu Airport and then a boat to Naoshima.
- If you want to fully explore the island consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure
- Check out our entire list of the best places to stay in Naoshima.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Okayama.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Naoshima
Episode 1 Naoshima 2 rooms from £75Local exploring - With free bikes available from the hotel, and many renowned attractions close by, guests are well-placed for local exploringActive Holiday - There are lots of opportunities for cycling and hiking in the area surrounding the hotel, perfect for an active holidayFamilies - The self-catering apartments are great for families travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit Benesse House, a facility based on the concept of coexistence among nature, architecture, and art
Episode 1 offers basic apartments in Naoshima, Japan. Rooms are simply dressed with comfortable beds and a modest living area. All rooms are equipped with a kitchenette for self-catering and there is a shared lounge. The guesthouse also offers free bikes, great for local exploring. A relaxed stay. See More
Bamboo Village Naoshima (Kagawa Prefecture,) 5 rooms from £122Active Holiday - A handy base for exploring the many artworks, installations and collections which the island is famous forLocal exploring - Great value location from which to explore the lush local areaSights nearby - Explore the Art House Project, a series of abandoned buildings which have been transformed by artBack to Nature
Charming accommodation with a pretty garden. The rooms all have bunk beds and unfussy decor, with shared bathroom, and the communal lounge area has a handy kitchenette. Ideal for groups and for those looking for an easy-going, simple stay that's close to the Art House Project. See More
Benesse House Naoshima (Kagawa-gun) 65 rooms from £186Romantic Break - Lovely accommodation, gorgeous views and a tranquil atmosphere-perfect for a romantic getawayBeach Life - Benesse House enjoys a superb beachfront location on the coast of the Inland SeaGreat walks - Head off on long romantic walks down the coast at sunsetViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel
This art museum come hotel is situated on the coast of Naoshima island. Benesse House's four buildings offer chic minimalist accommodation with floor to ceiling windows and gorgeous views! Enjoy the restaurant's French-inspired cuisine made using local produce. A unique stay, perfect for art lovers! See More