Search the best hotels in Oita
Nestling on Kyushu Island, Oita is an ideal place to go for a sightseeing holiday. Near some of the most renowned onsen towns (thermal spring bath) in Japan, full of fascinating museums and ancient sites and surrounded by enchanting natural scenery, you would be hard pressed to find a town in Japan with a more varied itinerary. Our collection of the best places to stay in Oita tend to be traditionally styled lending a pleasing authentic feel to your holiday.
It is believed that it was in Oita where Buddhism first began to gain a foothold in Japan 1,500 years ago. Evidence of this lies in the countless stone Buddha statues found scattered around the region: indeed, 80% of such statues in Japan are in Oita, many of which are carved into the rockface. One such example is in Usuki, a town known for its unique Buddha statues.
In terms of temples and shrines, Oita has many to choose from. In Fuku-ji you can find the oldest wooden temple in Kyushu as well as one of Oita's grandest temples, Futoga-ji. As for Oita itself, be sure to check out the castle at the centre of town - Funai Castle - a recently renovated historic castle with original stone walls, a moat and cherry blossom.
Oita is a great stepping stone to some of the onsen resort towns in the region. After all, Beppu, effectively the unchallenged "capital" of Japan's hot spring resort scene, is very nearby and is well worth going to for a weekend of rejuvenation and relaxation. From the more traditional hot spring baths to the mud and hot sand baths, places like Beppu and Yufuin have got you covered. In Yufuin, you can also go for a spot of paragliding if you're feeling brave.
What not to miss
- Head out to Beppu for the cleansing healing powers of their renowned hot spring baths.
- Check out the Wakayama Museum of Modern Art.
- Head out to Mt. Takasaki, where wild monkeys roam in exclusive tribes.
- Go for a spot of paragliding at Yufuin.
- Visit Fuku-ji, where you can find the oldest wooden temple in Kyushu.
- Explore the newly renovated Funai Castle at the centre of town.
To start planning your trip to this unique destination, browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Oita.
The best places to stay in Oita
- Yufuin Onsen Hinoharu Ryokan: trendy and modern, set in beautiful surroundings. Gorgeously styled Japanese rooms featuring paper shutters and lanterns, roll down futon beds and polished wooden floors, and some have indulgent baths. Sumptuous Kaiseki dishes on offer.
- Yafuin Jaze No Mori: nestling on a hill with spellbinding views of the mountains. Classic yet chic Japanese rooms are spacious and comfortable. With countless outdoor activities in the surrounding region this is the perfect rural retreat!
- Yufuin Sanso Waremokou: stunning mountain views and a restaurant with a terrific seasonal menu, offering traditionally-styled rooms with tatami mats, paper shutters and futon beds. Enjoy the two fuming outdoor hot spring baths!
- Yufuin Gettouan Ryokan: ideal for unwinding, this hotel stands amidst picturesque woodland. The stylish yet traditional rooms have tatami mat floors and low-lying dining tables and large windows. Delicious regional fare is served at the restaurant and traditional tea ceremonies are also on offer!
- Kutsurogi No Yado Nanakawa: a fantastic and authentically Japanese experience, sitting close to the scenic Lake Kinrin. Classic Japanese rooms with paper shutters, tatami mat floors, low level dining tables and private open-air hot spring baths! Tuck into the traditional ryokan fare at the hotel's sister properties.
- Yufuin Hoteiya: with private hot spring baths, delicious regional cuisine and traditional Japanese rooms with tatami mats and paper shutters and lanterns, this is ideal for anyone looking for an authentic Japanese experience.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Tokyo, then get a connection to Oita Airport.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go to Oita is in the springtime when the cherry blossom is in bloom and the temperature averages at around 17 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Kyushu
- or Japan
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Oita
Best Hotels in Oita
Yufuin Onsen Hinoharu Ryokan Oita (Yufu) 11 rooms from £298Total relaxation - Unwind in a hot spring bath or over a soothing massage, feast on fresh and healthy food and unravel in the tranquil surrounds.Great walks - Find miles of walking trails through the hills.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
A chic boutique property set in utterly tranquil surrounds. Beautifully designed Japanese rooms feature paper shutters and lanterns, roll down futon beds and polished wooden floors, the best have indulgent baths. Delicately prepared Kaiseki dishes are on offer and staff are friendly and attentive. See More
Yufuin Kaze No Mori Oita (Yufu) from £313Country Escape - A rural property set in lush gardens overlooking Yufuin.Great walks - Explore the walking trails that surround the scenic Lake Kinriko, accessible directly from the property.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Romantic - Good for couples.
Yufuin Hoteiya Oita (Yufu-shi) 14 rooms from £353Rural - A tranquil rural property set in the Yufuin hot spring area. The perfect spot to get some rest and recuperation.Great walks - Take a stroll around the nearby Lake Kinrin.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.
A traditional property located in the picturesque Yufuin area. Japanese style rooms feature tatami mats, paper shutters and lanterns. The best boast private outdoor hot spring baths. Spend evenings feasting on regional cuisine after a day spent in the great outdoors. A rejuvenating stay. See More
Yufuin Sanso Waremokou Oita (Yufu) 5 rooms from £359Total relaxation - With stunning mountain views, peaceful surrounds and a number of hot spring baths this is a very relaxing stay.Local exploring - Well placed to access the region's main attractions.Great walks - Stroll along the walking paths surrounding the scenic Kinrinko Lake.Sights nearby - Visit the historic Bussanji shrine.
A boutique property boasting stunning mountain views. Two steaming outdoor hot spring baths take advantage of the picturesque setting. Traditionally styled rooms feature tatami mats, paper shutters and futon beds. Find an exemplary seasonal menu (including blowfish) and a selection of sake. Superb. See More
Yufuin Gettouan Ryokan Oita (Yufu) 18 rooms from £406Total relaxation - Set in tranquil surrounds and complete with healing hot spring baths.Great walks - Take long scenic walks through the forest and along the river.Restrictions on children - Children over 12yrs are welcome.Traditional
A small boutique hotel located amidst picturesque woods. Traditional rooms feature tatami mat floors. Low level dining tables and large windows that frame the views. Indulgent regional meals are served and tea ceremonies are also on offer. A charming stay ideal for totally unwinding. See More
Kutsurogi No Yado Nanakawa Oita 5 rooms from £414Great walks - Take a stroll around the scenic Lake Kinrin.Full of characterTraditionalBoutique
A charming boutique property located near the scenic Lake Kinrin. Japanese styled rooms feature paper shutters, tatami mat floors, low level dining tables and private open-air hot spring baths. Experience traditional ryokan cuisine at the hotel's sister properties. An authentic stay. See More
Yufuin Rikka Oita (Yufu) 6 rooms from £380Foodies - This hotel offers a unique menu of contemporary, fusion cuisine, great for travellers looking to sample modern Asian gastronomyRomantic Break - The modern suites at this hotel are great for a romantic break, offering a blend of Japanese style and Western comfortsLocal exploring - This hotel is perfectly placed for sightseeing in and around Yufu, with parking available for guests onsiteSights nearby - Spend a morning at the Ogosha Shrine, a little-visited shrine close to the hotel which is over 1000 years old
This hotel is a charming 'ryokan' or Japanese-style inn. Set in Yufu, an area renowned for its hot springs, the hotel offers contemporary guestrooms featuring sit-out terraces with open-air baths. Guests love the food at this hotel, a fusion menu of Western and Japanese cuisine. See More