Search the best hotels in Dungun
Set on Malaysia’s more remote eastern coast, Dungun is a beautiful destination for a beach break. If you’re travelling across from Kuala Lumpur, expect the journey by road to take at least five hours; there are also two nearby airports, in Kuantan and Kuala Terengganu. Either way, this slice of tranquil shoreline is well worth the journey. Whether you’re travelling as a family, as a couple or with friends, the best places to stay in Dungun promise a magical holiday experience.
Once an iron production hub, the Dungun region still boasts striking colonial-era buildings and vast estates, some of which have been transformed into hotels. Venture into riverside Kuala Dungun, the regional capital, for the enormous Thursday evening market, where you can sample delectable street food specialities, pick up souvenirs aplenty and get a glimpse of community life. Beyond the city, you can unwind at the gorgeous beaches of Teluk Bidara or Medan Selara, or hone your sailing, snorkelling and diving skills in azure ocean waters. Keen hikers can follow spectacular trails through Rimba Bandar Bukit Bauk, spotting myriad endemic birds and admiring panoramic views.
Return to one of the best places to stay in Dungun for restorative spa treatments and cracking cuisine served under starlit skies.
The Best Places to Stay in Dungun
For Beachfront Luxury
- Tanjong Jara Resort is a luxurious coastal resort, perfect for a dream honeymoon or revitalising escape. Modelled on 17th-century Malay palaces, the resort boasts sea-facing suites with opulent interiors, an award-winning spa, swimming pools, delectable dining options, tennis courts and water sports. Wonderfully romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Kuala Lumpur International Airport and travel east for around 5 hours by car. Alternatively, Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Airport and Kuala Terengganu Airport are each less than two hours from Dungun, on Malaysia's east coast.
- If you're confident driving in Asia, Malaysia is a beautiful destination for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Tropical and humid, Malaysia is a year-round destination. Temperatures hover around 28-33°C for much of the year, with the heaviest rainfall expected between September and December.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Kuala Lumpur.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Malaysia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Dungun
Best Hotels in Dungun
Tanjong Jara Resort Off Jalan Dungun 99 rooms from £143Honeymoons - Escape to a beautiful ocean-view suite for a very special honeymoon with spa treatments & private diningDiving - Dive at some of the 20 sites around Tenggol Island, part of the Terengganu Marine ParkGreat walks - Tour the Malay herb garden and spot birds with an expert guide on a Jara Hill walkBeach Life - An opulent beach resort on Malaysia's remote eastern coastRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A fabulous tropical hideaway of the utmost luxury. Opulent, cream-coloured rooms & suites have lots of natural light, balconies, & all the mod cons. Fantastic selection of Malaysian cuisine, a soothing spa, private beach, tennis courts & lagoon-style swimming pools. Utterly romantic. See More