Search the best hotels in Langkawi
If you're looking for a tropical paradise, the Langkawi archipelago is it. Part of Malaysia's Kedah region, these 99 islands are right up against the Thai border, surrounded by the famously clear Andaman Sea. Its interior is relatively unspoiled jungle and its beaches are pristine and white. What more could you want? How about your daydream-perfect beach resort? Which is what the best places to stay in Langkawi amount to.
The main island, helpfully called Pulau Langkawi, is by far the largest in the group, and this is where you'll find most of the resorts.
But despite the developed infrastructure around the resorts these islands are far from overdeveloped, and the majority of the smaller islands have only basic traditional villages, some without electricity.
So if you want a Robinson Crusoe experience this is the place for it. Though there are also plenty of nice restaurants, bars and spas if you prefer your tropical island paradise with all the mod cons.
As well as exploring the beaches, the jungle and the ocean, Langkawi's islands also have hot springs, and freshwater rock pools and waterfalls within their jungle interiors.
The best places to stay in Langkawi as expected tend to be large beach resort type properties, but we've also unearthed a small boutique hotel.
What not to miss:
- Take the Langkawi Cable Car and then walk across the Langkawi Sky Bridge to get panoramic views of the islands.
- Explore the Kilim Geo Park and mangroves and marvel at the epic limestone formations.
- Visit the fascinating Mahsuri's Tomb and Cultural Center and learn of the folk legends of Langkawi.
- Spot numerous exotic birds in the Langkawi Wildlife Park.
- Unwind on the pristine white sand beaches.
For an affordable beach resort
- The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa is a large, but stunning resort near the capital - also called Langkwai - with fantastic views over the Andaman Sea. The benefits of a large resort are the choices, especially when it comes to food, the spa treatments, and the infinity pools.
- The Bon Ton Resort has just eight rooms, but its restaurant is known as one of the best on the island, so it's worth knowing about even if you don't stay here. The accommodation is in rustic stilted, wooden houses with a traditional Malaysian flavour, and prices start from just £129 per night.
- Temple Tree is a chic architectural resort with Chinese, Malaysian and Eurasion villas on stilts. The gorgeous suites are filled with authentic decorations, four poster beds, and enormous wooden bath tubs.
For barefoot luxury
- The Four Seasons Resort Langkawi offers the ultimate in barefoot luxury in a larger resort. It's right on a private beach, but is spread out, around many large, open plan spaces with beautiful pools and tame jungle. It looks very natural and feels very relaxing.
- The Datai is a bit off the beaten track, set a bit back from the coast, surround by jungle. The decor is simple but luxurious, and there's a large spa, multiple pools and several excellent Asian restaurants.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner, Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Langkawi International Airport served by Penang, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hat Yai, and Phuket. Alternatively numerous ferries arrive from the mainland and Thailand.
- Best time to visit - Langkawi is a year round destination with temperatures averaging 30°C - 34°C however the rainy season is in September - October.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Langkawi
Temple Tree Langkawi 20 rooms from £113
A chic architectural resort with Chinese, Malaysian and Eurasion villas on stilts. Gorgeous suites filled with authentic decorations, four poster beds, and enormous wooden bath tubs. Lively Clubhouse for socialising, pool and garden, a short walk to the beach. Great for couples, families, or groups.Families - Each house has between 4 to 6 separate suites.Local markets - See the Pantai Cenang for souvenirs and local handicrafts.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape
The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa Langkawi 202 rooms from £122
A stunning beach resort with fantastic views over the Andaman sea. Beautiful rooms and suites decorated in creams with slanting oak roofs. Fantastic Malaysian cuisine, multiple infinity pools, dining terraces, and a spa that provides specialist treatments. A highly luxurious island paradise!Spa breaks - A full range of specialist treatments.Honeymoons - Utterly romantic private dining areas.Views - Gorgeous views over the Andaman sea.Beach Life
Bon Ton Resort Langkawi 8 rooms from £129
A chic boutique resort offers rustic wooden houses on stilts with romantic interiors. A colourful mixture of calming Malaysian tradition and decorative fabrics. A fantastic restaurant, Nam Nam, known as the best on the island as well as a private dining house. Ideal for families and foodies.Foodies - One of the best restaurants on the island.Birdwatching - In Machinchang Forest Reserve, near Datai Bay, home to great hornbills and the rare colugo.Four poster beds - For romantics.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape
The Datai Langkawi 55 rooms from £240
A super sleek hotel just set back from the beach and surrounded by rainforest. This ultimate zen spot has luxury rooms, suites and villas, in contemporary earthy style, all the mod cons, private pools and balconies. A four villa spa, excellent Asian restaurants, and multiple pools. Barefoot luxury.Romantic BreakLuxurySpa breaksRemote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi Langkawi 90 rooms from £350
The piece de resistance of beach paradise. Stunningly natural but luxurious beach pavilions and villas with large open plan spaces, private pools, and all the mod cons. Geo-thermal spa, excellent Malay fish restaurant, beautiful pool and grounds, and a private beach. A hotel with the wow factor!Foodies - Fantastic fish restaurant and an Italian restaurant.Barefoot Luxury - Utter beach paradise.LuxuryHoneymoons