Search the best hotels in Langkawi
Officially the ‘jewel of Kedah’, Langkawi Island — and its vast archipelago — lie in the famously clear waters of the Andaman Sea, off Malaysia’s western coast. An enduringly popular destination for romantic escapes as well as fun-filled family trips, Langkawi brims with fantastic hotel and resort options, perfect for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Highlighting everything from heritage villas to swish seaside resorts, our pick of the best places to stay in Langkawi really does offer something for everyone!
Langkawi Island, where most villas and hotels are located, is fringed by beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters. Pantai Cenang, the best-known of the beaches, is a watersports hub as well as an idyllic spot for some sunbathing. Many top places to stay also boast private stretches of beach and offer kayaks, paddle board, sail boats and jet skis. Venture into the island’s verdant interior to discover ancient rainforests teeming with birdlife, or to hike up to refreshing rock pools and waterfalls. Journey by Langkawi Cable Car to the Langkawi Sky Bridge for panoramic views of the archipelago, or take a boat trip into the mangroves of the Kilim Karst Geoforest Park. Keen adventurers can try zip lining or rock climbing, whilst little ones will love the Langkawi Wildlife Park and Underwater World.
Culture aficionados, on the other hand, can hone their crafting skills in the Batik Village, visit Laman Padi Langkawi, delve into island legends at Mahsuri’s Tomb and Museum, or cycle through traditional kampong for a glimpse into village life. You’ll find that many of the best places to stay in Langkawi also offer flavoursome cooking classes; great for savouring a taste of tropical Malaysia.
The Best Places to Stay in Langkawi
For Intimate Charm
- Temple Tree Resort offers a gorgeous collection of colourful heritage homes, perfect for families or couples. Pick this place for the charming historic architecture and antiques and the intimacy of the unique residences. Relax in lush gardens or by the swimming pool, cycle to the beach, and gather at Temple Tree Bar & Restaurant in the evenings. Lovely.
- Bon Ton Resort is made up of eight stilted wooden houses, tucked within verdant grounds. Expect Malaysian antiques, bright textiles and jungle views. Foodies will adore the fresh Asian cuisine at Nam, one of the island's top restaurants. A charming romantic hideaway.
- Ambong Rainforest Retreat has 11 contemporary suites & cottages hidden amidst the jungle. Pick this adults-only lodge for the tranquil feel and the wellness focus, evident in the spa treatments, the yoga classes and the garden-grown vegan fare. Gorgeous.
For Families or Groups
- The Westin Langkawi is brilliant for couples or big conference groups, but it really comes into its own as a resort for active families. Kick back in spacious modern villas, swim in multiple infinity pools, cycle, try watersports or build sandcastles on the beach. Don't miss enjoying rejuvenating spa treatments whilst the little ones sample the kids' activity programme. A smart, family-friendly resort.
- Ambong Pool Villas offers just nine villas overlooking the jungle. Book a three-bedroom villa for a fun-filled family or group trip, and expect contemporary interiors, a private swimming pool, yoga and cooking classes. Snorkelling trips and hikes can be arranged. The eco-ethos is fabulous.
- The Danna is a modern beachfront hotel with a selection of two-bedroom villas with private pools in addition to the rooms and suites housed in the main building. Beachgoers will appreciate the direct access to the sand, and little ones can play at the kids club whilst parents hit the spa. Nearby Skytrex Adventure Park is a favourite!
For Absolute Luxury
- Four Seasons Resort Langkawi has sumptuous interiors, with suites and villas offering private pools or jungle views. Luxurious interiors invite guests to unwind in absolute bliss. Facilites include a superb spa, unique Rumah Ikan fishing lodge, boat trips, rock climbing and more. Fabulous.
- The Datai sits well off the beaten track, within 750 hectares of rainforest in the island's northwest. Swish rooms, suites and villas feature contemporary design and natural wood, with big floor-to-ceiling windows and a soothing cream colour palette. Brilliant for those looking to immerse themselves in nature, the resort has striking hikes, an unspoilt beach, an indulgent spa and delectable Asian cuisine. Gorgeous.
- The Ritz-Carlton Langkawi is an exceptional resort with Malaysia's only overwater spa, four dining options and swish suites and multi-room villas with striking sea views. Pure luxury for couples, families or business travellers.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Langkawi International Airport from Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Phuket, amongst other hubs. There are also daily hour-long ferries from Kuala Perlis, on the Malaysian mainland, to Langkawi Island.
- If you're confident driving in Asia, Malaysia is a beautiful destination for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Tropical and humid, Langkawi is a year-round destination. Temperatures hover around 28-33°C for much of the year, with the heaviest rainfall expected between September and November. Showers are frequent and refreshing!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Kuala Lumpur.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Malaysia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Langkawi
Best Hotels in Langkawi
Temple Tree Resort Langkawi 20 rooms from £113Cycling - Hop on the resort's complimentary bicycles to explore verdant Langkawi's little lanes - or to venture to nearby beachesWatersports - Head to Pantai Cenang for sunbathing, jet-skiing, waterskiing, windsurfing, parasailing, snorkelling & kayakingRomantic Break - Big suites with free-standing tubs and garden views are ideal for romantic couplesFamilies - Book a whole multi-room house for a fun-filled family or group tripRecommended by - I Escape
A beautiful collection of colourful heritage houses, many of which have multiple rooms & suites for family or group trips. Expect quirky, antique-filled interiors. Temple Trees Bar & Restaurant is the sociable hub of the resort, and the pool and gardens are lovely. Can also be very romantic. See More
The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa Langkawi 202 rooms from £122Beach Life - A beautiful seaside resort with water sports, a pristine private beach and stunning ocean viewsFamilies - Families will love the kids' programme, spacious villas and abundance of activitiesHotel Entertainment - Live music evenings and themed dinners are a highlight for guests of all agesTennis - Play a family game of tennis on one of the resort's courts
A stunning beach resort with fantastic views over the Andaman sea. Beautiful rooms & suites are decorated in creams with slanting oak roofs. Fantastic Malaysian cuisine, multiple infinity pools, dining terraces and a spa that provides specialist treatments. A highly luxurious island paradise! See More
Bon Ton Resort Langkawi 8 rooms from £129Foodies - Nam has a reputaiton as one of the best restaurants on the island, with delicious fusion food paired with international winesBirdwatching - Spot 26 varieties of birds in the gardens, or head to Machinchang Forest Reserve, home to great hornbills & rare colugoRomantic Break - Beautiful antique wooden villas offer four poster beds and wooden bath tubs, perfect for a romantic escapeHistoric - The eight stilt houses are close to a century old, and will delight history and architecture buffsRecommended by - I Escape
A chic boutique resort offering eight heritage wooden houses with romantic interiors. A colourful mixture of calming Malaysian tradition & decorative fabrics plus fabulous bathrooms, many with outdoor wooden tubs! Lush gardens with pool & plenty of loungers. Foodies will love the fusion restaurant. See More
Ambong Rainforest Retreat Langkawi 11 rooms from £130Back to Nature - Reconnect with nature in one of 11 suites or cottages hidden amidst the verdant rainforest, where birds and butterflies flutterHoneymoons - A romantic honeymoon choice for laid-back couples eager to unwind in big baths on jungle-facing terraces & enjoy spa treatmentsCooking classes - Gather herbs and vegetables on a guided tour of the resort farm before cooking northern Malaysian fare with Chef Amin & his teamGreat walks - Guided walks through the dense mangrove forests in Langkawi's northeast, or hikes in the Kilim Geopark to admire flora & fauna
A gorgeous collection of 11 airy, contemporary suites & cottages tucked in the rainforest. Unwind on private terraces, feast on garden-grown vegan fare, sink into the pool or enjoy rejuvenating spa massages. The wellness focus continues in the yoga & meditation pavilion. Adult-only boutique retreat. See More
The Danna Langkawi 135 rooms from £240Active Holiday - Ideal for an active trip as a couple or with the whole family; the hotel has multiple pools, water sports & a games roomFamilies - Two-bedroom villas with private pools are ideal for families; little ones will also adore the kids clubRestaurant - Four dining options, including Italian Terrace and opulent Planter'sSwimming Pool - Infinity pool, kids' pool and private villa poolsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A grand beachfront hotel in Telaga Harbour Park, The Danna has opulent rooms, suites & 1- or 2-bedroom villas with ocean views. Kick back at the soothing spa or infinity pool whilst little ones hit the kids club & games room. Five-star luxury with smart restaurants and an atmospheric cigar lounge. See More
The Ritz Carlton Langkawi Langkawi 129 rooms from £289Families - Two- or three-bedroom villas with private pools are ideal for families, who will adore the Ritz Kids programme & activitiesActive Holiday - With a tennis court, spa, water sports, art classes & a games room, this is a top pick for an active couple or family tripKids Club - Ritz Kids offers a great programme for children, including highlights such as the Langkawi treasure huntCooking classes - Learn to cook fragrant curries or to create top-notch cocktails with a private cooking or mixology class
An exceptional seaside resort set in a 10-million-year-old rainforest. Swish suites and multi-room villas feature Malaysian accents, floor-to-ceiling windows & natural materials. Expect vast sea views, Langkawi's only overwater spa & four delectable dining options. For families, couples or business. See More
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi Langkawi 90 rooms from £350Beach Life - Kick back on the sand, try watersports, enjoy boat trips and fishing excursions on the Andaman Sea - visible from your suite!Spa breaks - Try the the Geo Spa’s award-winning couple’s ritual, Raja and Ratu, and balancing treatments in blissful surroundingsCooking classes - Delve into Malay cuisine at the Lesung Batu Cooking School, preceded by a trip to the wet market with a chefWildlife Area - Take a boat safari into the Kilim Karst Geoforest Park with an expert naturalist to spot flora and fauna
A beach paradise for couples or families. Stunningly natural but luxurious beach pavilions and villas with large open-plan spaces, private pools, and all the mod cons. Geo-thermal spa, excellent Malay fish restaurant, beautiful pool and grounds, and a private beach. A hotel with the wow factor! See More
The Datai Langkawi 121 rooms from £470Back to Nature - A beautiful escape for eco-minded travellers, with 750 hectares of rainforest - brimming with birdlife - and gorgeous beachesTrekking - Hike the Rimba Trail or take a guided walk with one of the resort's naturalists, beginning at the beachside Nature CentreHoneymoons - Hide away in an enchanting private villa, enjoy sumptuous spa treatments and delectable cuisineBirdwatching - Look out for some of the rainforest's 200 bird species, using the guide provided in your roomRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
A super sleek hotel just set back from the beach and surrounded by rainforest. This ultimate zen spot has luxury rooms, suites & villas, in a contemporary earthy style, all the mod cons, private pools & balconies. A four-villa spa, excellent Asian restaurants, and multiple pools. Barefoot luxury. See More
Ambong Pool Villas Langkawi 9 rooms from £550Eco break - A tranquil eco-escape set in the rainforest, focusing on limiting its carbon footprint and conserving the natural worldFamilies - Three-bedroom villas with swimming pools are perfect for fun-filled family holidaysRestaurant - Expect all-day dining at Rimba, showcasing traditional recipes with a modern twist — and a focus on fresh seafoodBirdwatching - Spot some of the 30 species of birds in the lush forest, including Oriental Pied and the Great Hornbills
A restful eco-retreat offering 9 villas with private pools. Hide away in a romantic one-bed villa or book a three-bed spot for the whole family. Airy, contemporary interiors feature big tubs, terraces & sea views. There's a strong wellness focus, with a spa & yoga pavilion, and jungle-facing eatery. See More