The Hotel Guru is my “go to” site for hotel recommendations Rebecca Terrazas.
Search the best hotels in Birgu
Looking out over the Great Harbour towards Valletta, Birgu is a striking fortified city. Historically important, the Knights of St. John initially set up the capital of Malta in1530 in the city and Birgu also played a huge role in the effective defense of Malta in the Great Siege in 1565. The city's landscape is dominated by an imposing fort and is also home to a number of lovely churches and palaces. Just a short boat ride from Valletta, basing yourself at one of the best places to stay in Birgu gives you great flexibility for exploring the city as well as the capital.
Things not to miss:
- For a place with such a rich naval history, the Malta Maritime Museum is well worth a visit. It's housed in the former Order of St John's treasury.
- The city has a number of beautiful churches, the finest of which is probably St. Lawrence's Church.
- In the heart of the Grand Harbour stands Fort St Angelo.
- Take a boat across the bay and explore the charms of Valletta, Malta's UNESCO World Heritage Site capital.
The best places to stay in Birgu are predominantly rustic, traditional guesthouses.
The best places to stay in Birgu
For Traditional Charm
- Yoga and tea lovers will feel right at home at Locanda La Gelsomina. Its four lovely rooms are traditional Maltese style and offer guests plenty of comfort and space for relaxing. With an exotic tea house and the offer of yoga retreats, it has a really soothing atmosphere.
For a private apartment
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Birgu is Malta International (4 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Birgu is from March to June or September to November when the weather is temperate and the crowds less.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Birgu
Locanda La Gelsomina Birgu from £158
Four-suite retreat at the heart of Birgu with exotic tea-house and opportunity for yoga retreats. Breakfast is included and interiors verge on the casually opulent and fashionably eclectic, ideal for a distinguished and well-travelled clientèle. Central location and tranquil ambiance.Yoga - Yoga retreats a speciality.Sights nearby - The Inquisitor's Palace, Fort St. Angelo and the Malta Maritime Museum are all withing walking distance.Restrictions on children - Due to the antiquity of the locale, kindly note that Locanda La Gelsomina is not suitable for children.Views - One suite offers beautiful views of the Annunciation Church nearby.