Search the best hotels in Mdina
The former capital of Malta, Mdina is a fascinating fortified city in the northern part of the island. First founded in the 8th century BC by Phoenician settlers, the city has a long history. Full of elegant architecture and beautiful churches, Mdina has come to be known as the 'Silent City' by locals because of its sleepy, tranquil atmosphere. The best places to stay in Mdina tend to be found in the historic old town.
What not to miss:
- The city is home to a number of lovely churches, the most significant being St. Paul's Cathedral. Other notable ones worth visiting include St. Nicholas' Chapel and St. Agatha's Chapel.
- Underneath the Cathedral, the fascinating Catacombs of St. Paul's are well worth exploring, provided you don't suffer from claustrophobia!
- Walk along the city's wonderful medieval walls with sights along the way such as Mdina Gate and Greeks Gate.
- Palaces are scattered across the city due to its rich history of Maltese nobility settling there. Some of them have now been turned into museums such as Palazzo Vilhena and Palazzo Falson.
Mdina is best explored on foot and every turn offers a new point of interest or port hole into a bygone era. Our selection of the best places to stay in Mdina reflect the city's rich culture and charm.
The best places to stay in Mdina
- Tucked away in the fortified old town, The Xara Palace is a sublime hotel. Awash with luxury and grandeur, some of its highlights include an award-winning restaurant, a lovely pool and plush rooms. Perfect for a romantic break.
For a private apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Mdina is Malta International (7 miles).
- For car hire, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- Malta has an all round temperate climate but our favourite time to visit is either from April to June or September to October.
Still not sure?
- Have another look at the best places to stay in Mdina.
- Alternatively expand the search to the best places to stay in Valletta.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Mdina
The Xara Palace 17 rooms from £272Mdina
Uncompromising luxury with all the individuality and sophistication of a Relais Chateaux property. Interiors with splendour - high ceilings, antiques, rugs, lots of natural light. Gorgeous rooms and award-winning rooftop restaurant. A palace of romance, surrounded by stunning baroque architecture.Sights nearby - Mdina's monuments, museums and Roman villas are just a few steps awayPrivate Hot Tub - Some dulpex suites come with their own private terraces and jacuzzisTraditional - Antique furniture and original paintingsSwimming Pool - A short walk from the HotelRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux