- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Taroudant
Taroudant - or Taroudannt - is often described as a mini-Marrakech because of its bustling and historic medina, souqs and beautiful red-mud buildings. And it does share the capital's vibrancy. But describing only this city's trading centre misses out the beauty of the location, on the plains of the fertile Souss Valley, behind which the Atlas Mountains rise. It can be a wonderful place to escape to, and some of the best places to stay in Taroudant really reflect the area's beauty, as well as that of the city.
While Marrakech's medina can quickly overwhelm the unseasoned, Taroudant's is a much friendlier affair, somewhere you can stroll through.
The city's old 16th and 17th Century gates, along with the red-mud walls surrounding the old town - which change colour depending on the time of day - are one of the great sights of Taroudant. A large colony of white storks live by the gates. The place is also rife with pigeons which provided a great source of food during times of siege.
Taroudant is also an ideal base for trekkers and hikers heading up into the High Atlas, and it's quite close to Agadir on the coast. You can also get better value for your Moroccan handicrafts here than in Marrakech or Essaouira.
What not to miss:
- Admire the city's old 16th and 17th Century gates and red-mud walls.
- Get out of the city and into the Atlas mountains on hiking excursions.
- Explore the atmospheric souks and find leather products, textiles and spices.
- Stop by the Palais Claudio Bravo Camus and learn the fascinating history of the region.
The best places to stay in Taroudant need not be crammed into the centre of town. Indeed our pick is on the outskirts, where you can really appreciate the beauty of the area.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- The nearest major airport is Agadir Airport (AGA / GMAD), located 61 km away. The largest international airport is Menara International Airport - Marrakech Menara, 148km from Taroudant.
- Best time to visit - Taroudant is a year round destination with consistent sun. The winter months (December - February) are bright and cooler with temperatures averaging around 14°C. The rest of the year temperatures range between 18°C - 30°C with August being the hottest month.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
1. Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Taroudant.
3. Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.