I love your site btw! Alex Slater.
Search the best hotels in Taroudant
Taroudant - or Taroudannt - is often described as a mini-Marrakech because of its bustling and historic medina, souqs and beautiful red-mud buildings. And it does share the capital's vibrancy. But describing only this city's trading centre misses out the beauty of the location, on the plains of the fertile Souss Valley, behind which the Atlas Mountains rise. It can be a wonderful place to escape to, and some of the best places to stay in Taroudant really reflect the area's beauty, as well as that of the city.
While Marrakech's medina can quickly overwhelm the unseasoned, Taroudant's is a much friendlier affair, somewhere you can stroll through.
The city's old 16th and 17th Century gates, along with the red-mud walls surrounding the old town - which change colour depending on the time of day - are one of the great sights of Taroudant. A large colony of white storks live by the gates. The place is also rife with pigeons which provided a great source of food during times of siege.
Taroudant is also an ideal base for trekkers and hikers heading up into the High Atlas, and it's quite close to Agadir on the coast. You can also get better value for your Moroccan handicrafts here than in Marrakech or Essaouira.
What not to miss:
- Admire the city's old 16th and 17th Century gates and red-mud walls.
- Get out of the city and into the Atlas mountains on hiking excursions.
- Explore the atmospheric souks and find leather products, textiles and spices.
- Stop by the Palais Claudio Bravo Camus and learn the fascinating history of the region.
The best places to stay in Taroudant need not be crammed into the centre of town. Indeed several of our recommendations are on the outskirts, where you can really appreciate the beauty of the area.
The Best places to stay in Taroudant
For a central location
- Palais Oumensour is situated in the heart of the medina. 11 rooms lead off from a beautiful central courtyard filled with greenery and plunge pool for cooling off.
- Dar Zahia also enjoys a top central spot. It has just four rooms and offers simple yet pretty accommodation in the middle of town.
Just outside town
- Riad Le Jasmin is a gorgeous property on the outskirts of town and has 14 rooms and suites all set around a lovely pool. Plus they boast a top quality spa and gourmet dining
- Dar Zitoune is an eco-conscious riad just south of Taroudant. Set amid a tranquil garden it offers a variety of accomodations from Berber tents to smart suites. There's also a good sized pool, spa and superb Moroccan fusion cuisine.
- Dar Al Hossoun is a totally authentic property to the west of the town. Rooms are simple yet elegant, plus there's a pool for relaxing days and a spa for pampering.
- Riad Jnane Ines is situated down a little track in a truly hideaway spot. Its 11 rooms are beautifully decorated in authentic Moroccan style, there's a garden with pool, and excellent cuisine.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- The nearest major airport is Agadir Airport (AGA / GMAD), located 61 km away. The largest international airport is Menara International Airport - Marrakech Menara, 148km from Taroudant.
- Best time to visit - Taroudant is a year round destination with consistent sun. The winter months (December - February) are bright and cooler with temperatures averaging around 14°C. The rest of the year temperatures range between 18°C - 30°C with August being the hottest month.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Taroudant
Palais Oumensour Taroudant 11 rooms from £61
Expect a warm welcome at this authentic medina haven. Rooms lead off from a lush pool courtyard with an array of exotic plants and lots of cosy nooks & convivial areas to relax in, while the restaurant offers delicious seasonal cuisine. Great value for a well-situated, elegant and friendly base!Local exploring - Great location, a short walk to marvellous sights such as the Arab Souk, Assarag Square, Grand Mosque & Arrahma MosqueGreat walks - Walking trips offered- visit authentic Berber villages, discover the rural life of the area and see diverse natural environmentsBirdwatching - If you fancy a wilderness tour, you can visit the Massa Natural Park and the bird sanctuary with lunch overlooking the oceanSights nearby - Discover exceptional houses and gardens around Taroudant and the “lost” valley of the High or Anti-Atlas region
Dar Zahia Taroudant 83000 4 rooms from £74
A tranquil and leafy haven, surrounded by an exquisite garden with a pool. Understated rooms, ideal for a calm retreat, with the town on your doorstep if you want to venture out to the souks. Breakfast included and other meals can also be prepared upon request. A simple yet pretty holiday idyll.Hideaway - Situated in a beautiful, abundant garden creating an oasis of tranquility in the middle of townSights nearby - Tanneries and the Berber artisan cooperative are nearby and worth a visitTraditional - Decorated with traditional moroccan furnishings and ornamentsLocal markets - The town has two huge souks which are a must see
Riad Jnane Ines Taroudant 11 rooms from £78
Located down a secluded country track outside the typical Moroccan village of Machraa Al Ain, 3km from Taroudant. Tranquil, beautifully decorated base with lots of traditional Moroccan details. Indulgent meals provided and expect a warm welcome from the owner. Perfect for lazy poolside sun lounging.Hideaway - Tranquil riad in an intimate garden locationTraditional - Beautifully finished in traditional Moroccan style, with kilim chairs, terracotta-tiled floors and ditty octagonal side tablesSights nearby - Tanneries and the Berber artisan cooperative are in the town and worth a visitLocal markets - The town has two huge souks which are a must visit
Dar Zitoune 83000 Taroudant 34 rooms from £104
An eco conscious Riad in the heart of the southern Souss region of Morocco, set in a tranquil garden, with a choice of suites or luxury Berber tents. Featuring a pool and spa and a top-quality restaurant serving Moroccan fusion cuisine. Explore the town or simply relax in the countryside.Foodies - Top-quality food from the restaurant is a fusion of Moroccan and European dishes, from tagines to steak and vegetables or pastaLocal exploring - Taroudant's two souks are a great attraction, as it's a working market town where Berbers trade produce from the rich landCountry Escape - This small hotel is set in extensive gardens, planted with fruit trees, cacti and exotic flowersSights nearby - Tanneries and the Berber artisan cooperative are nearby and worth a visit
Riad le Jasmin Taroudant (Sidi Dahmane) 14 rooms from £104
Gorgeous riad on the outskirts of idyllic Taroudant. Chic suites are individually set round a generous pool in verdant gardens, providing a sense of tranquility and privacy for guests. With a top-quality spa and a restaurant with a fine gourmet menu, this is a truly charming retreat!Spa breaks - With a wonderful pool, full service spa, massage and hammam services, this is a pamper paradise!Great walks - There are a number of stunning hiking trails and walks around the area, and the riad itself has lovely gardens to stroll inSights nearby - A visit to the Palais Dar El Baroud and the stunning city walls is a mustLocal markets - The town has two huge souks which are a must-see
Dar Al Hossoun Taroudant 16 rooms from £104
Luxurious and totally authentic riad with large, botanically diverse interconnecting gardens. Featuring elegant yet simple rooms and suites, two pools to lounge by and a spa for pampering. Food is simple and tasty, traditional with a Mediterranean twist. A tranquil, un-touristy haven.Back to Nature - The riad's desert gardens are truly unique, containing more than 900 different species of plantsLocal exploring - Explore the ancient town of Tassoudant with its marvellous souks by bike or footGreat walks - Walking trips offered- visit authentic Berber villages, discover the rural life of the area and see diverse natural environmentsSights nearby - Discover exceptional houses and gardens around Taroudant and the “lost” valley of the High or Anti-Atlas region