Search the best hotels in Cardrona
An adventurer’s playground, Cardrona is spectacular. Winter visitors can explore the 345-hectare alpine resort, whilst mountain bikers, hikers and horse riders can navigate both the mountains and the impressive Cardrona Valley during the summer. With accommodation options ranging from cosy B&Bs to a heritage icon, our pick of the best places to stay in Cardrona has something for everyone.
Just 40 minutes’ drive from Queenstown, Cardrona is easily accessible for fun family or group trips — and a few days here are a wonderful addition to a trip to the Wānaka, Queenstown and Central Otago region. Ski and snowboarding lessons can easily be arranged, and there’s a tremendous choice of runs to experience. Cardrona Parks has the most extensive park and pipe facilities in the Southern Hemisphere. Gondola rides to the top of the mountain, on the other hand, yield stunning views, whilst snow tubing is fantastic fun for travellers of all ages!
Come summer, you can follow trails through gold rush towns in the Cardrona Valley, zoom down mountain trails in Cardrona Bike Park — including the legendary Cardrona Peak to Pub descent — or go mountain carting. Tours of Cardrona Distillery or walks in the Pisa Conservation Area are brilliant. Follow big days of discovery with cosy evenings of stargazing at one of the best places to stay in Cardrona.
The Best Places to Stay in Cardrona
For a Charming B&B
- Waiorau Homestead has three individually decorated rooms and one studio, forming an intimate, owner-run B&B. The 10-acre garden and the swimming pool will be a sure-fire hit with the kids! Savour three-course table d'hôte dinners — available on request. Brilliant for active families or couples.
For a Heritage Icon
- Cardrona Hotel was established in 1863, and is one of the few remaining buildings from the region's gold rush era. Book a simple, cosy room clad in grey and blue hues, and feast in the award-winning restaurant, or soak up the sunshine in the beer garden. Relaxed yet iconic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Queenstown Airport, 40 minutes by bus or car from Cardrona.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the winter months (May to August) for skiing and snowboarding, or come in the summer for cycling, horse riding, mountain biking and more.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Queenstown.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Cardrona
Best Hotels in Cardrona
Waiorau Homestead Cardrona (Wanaka) 4 rooms from £88Skiing - Waiorau Homestead is the closest place to stay to Cardrona Ski Resort & Snow Farm Cross Country SkiingActive Holiday - Perfect for keen riders, skiers and cyclists, as well as those looking to try quad bikingGroups - Book all four rooms for an intimate family or group gatheringOutstanding location - Views of Cardrona Ski Resort and the valley are spectacular
A popular owner-run B&B with three spacious, individually decorated rooms and one studio. Extra beds can be added for kids, who will love the pool & 10-acre garden. Delicious three-course table d'hote dinners using home-grown ingredients. A great base for active families wanting a home-from-home. See More
Cardrona Hotel Cardrona 9381 16 rooms from £101Local exploring - On the stunning Crown Range road between Wanaka and Queenstown, the perfect base from which to explore the Central Otago regionHistoric - Established in 1863, one of New Zealand’s oldest hotels, one of only two remaining buildings from the region's gold rush eraCharming - Rumoured to be the most photographed building in New Zealand, the historic facade hides a stylish and award winning interiorKayaking - Explore Lake Wanaka and the Clutha River in a kayak or on a stand-up paddle board. Guided tours and freedom rentals available
One of the last remaining buildings from the Cardrona gold-rush era and arguably one of the most famous hotels in the country. Charming rooms are simple yet cosy with grey and blue hues, sink into beds and wooden furniture. Boasting an award-winning restaurant and popular beer garden. See More