Search the best hotels in Napier
In 1931 an earthquake shook Napier with such ferocity that the coast tilted up and a lagoon was drained of its water: now, in its place, there is lush farmland, an airport and suburbia. The rebuilding that occurred afterwards beautified Napier to such an extent that it is now one of New Zealand's most remarkable cities - with over 147 art deco buildings - so strolling through its streets is like entering a time warp of 1930s Paris. One of the country's sunniest regions, full of gorgeous stretches of unspoilt beaches, charming boutiques, fantastic wineries and ancient Maori settlements, Napier is the ideal destination for a family holiday. Our collection of the best places to stay in Napier range from charming B&Bs to luxury boutiques.
The area around Hawkes Bay is enchantingly beautiful. Orchards and fields of melons and strawberries and wide green seas of vineyards stretch off into the horizon and the region boasts some beautiful walking and cycling spots. Bay View beach is a particular pleasure to walk at sundown when the sky is a blend of pinks and lilacs. Boutique wineries pepper the landscape like Craggy Range and Clearview Estate ran on a small-scale by professional families and passionate amateurs alike. Nearby the city is also the Otarara Pa Reserve, a beautiful and unpolluted area, where you can gain a glimpse into ancient Maori history by exploring a "pa" site - a fortified Maori hilltop village.
The city itself is a genuine pleasure to get lost in: wander down Marine Parade in the shadow of Norfolk pines or go on a guided walk exploring the countless art deco buildings in the city. The city's low-rise aesthetic, coupled with the enormous variety of art deco styles - from Egyptian and Mayan to Maori - makes the city a sort of open-air art gallery. In that vein, check out the Seawalls - the pride and joy of Napier - a collection of fantastic street art murals. Consider also visiting MTG Hawke's Bay on Tennyson Street - a museum and art gallery that details Napier's history.
What not to miss
- Check out the National Aquarium of New Zealand and marvel at the stingrays and sharks.
- Go on a guided tour of the city's 147 art deco buildings, with the Art Deco Trust.
- Sample the regions' wines at a local winery, like that of Craggy Range or Clearview Estate.
- Learn about Maori history at the Otarara Pa Reserve and explore an ancient Maori village.
- Lounge lazily at the beach - either Westshore, for the sunsets, Bay View for the walks and Sandy Bay for the watersports.
- Immerse yourself in the city's history at the MTG Hawke's Bay, a museum and art gallery on Tennyson Street.
To start planning your trip to this beautiful city browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Napier.
The best places to stay in Napier
- The Crown Hotel Napier: a fantastic art deco boutique hotel on the outskirts of Napier by the sea, offering bright and light rooms with amazing waterfront views. A great base from which to explore the city.
- McHardy Lodge: a luxury boutique hotel in a highly central location, featuring chic and elegant rooms. There is a swimming pool and a billiards room. An intimate but indulgent stay.
- Cobden Garden B&B: stylish colonial-style B&B furnished with antiques and chintz fabrics. Full English breakfast, intimate rooms and a great location to explore Napier. Ideal for couples looking for authenticity.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Rotorua International Airport, 225km from Napier, and then fly to Hawkes Bay Airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- One of the sunniest areas of New Zealand, the best time to go is during the wintertime (Europe's summer) when the temperature ranges between 12 and 24 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in North Island
- or the best places to stay in New Zealand
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Napier
Best Hotels in Napier
Tequila Sunrise B&B RD2 Napier 4 rooms from £133Groups - With just four rooms this is an ideal choice for groups wanting to rent out a place in its entiretyActive Holiday - There's plenty to do locally between the wineries, the beaches and the tropical forestGreat walks - There are beautiful walks starting straight from the property's front doorViews - The property enjoys magnificent views over both bay and city
A small contemporary B&B commanding spectacular ocean views and backed by thick tropical forest. The four bedrooms are spacious and chic with sliding doors leading out onto the garden. A large terrace features a professional BBQ, best used and enjoyed with the property's own wines. See More
Cobden Garden B&B Napier (Bluff Hill) 3 rooms from £123Local exploring - Whether interested in culture, food and wine, nature and wildlife or something more active, there's plenty to explore locallySights nearby - Stroll down the Marine Parade Rotary Walkway to the National Aquarium, enjoying the vista across the deep green Pacific OceanFishing - The Hawke’s Bay region has a great diversity of fishing opportunitiesSeaside - Very close to Napier Port
The Crown Hotel Napier Napier (Ahuriri) 39 rooms from £127Local exploring - Overlooking the stunning waterfront in historical seaside village Ahuriri, Napier, with sun, sea and landscape on your doorstepGreat walks - From coastal strolls through to multi-day walks around Lake Waikaremoana, Hawke’s Bay is a walkers paradiseFishing - Hawke's Bay is home to some of New Zealand's best fishing and huntingViews - Great views from hotel
An old-meets new boutique hotel, with art deco features, set on the waterfront in the charming fishing village of Ahuriri in Napier. Retro styled suites are light and bright with floor to ceiling windows, softly patterned fabrics and large living areas. A charming base to explore the region from. See More
Art Deco Masonic Hotel Napier South 43 rooms from £137Foodies - Recognised the world over for its fine wine and fresh produce, Hawke's Bay is a gastronome's dream destinationLocal exploring - Napier is known as the Art Deco Capital of the world and is famous for its jazz age architectureRestrictions on children - Adult onlyHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
An iconic Art Deco hotel in the 'Art Deco capital of the world'. Expect elegant period luxury and a town dripping with interesting history. Featuring a superb bar and restaurant; a great base during the annual Art Deco Festival or the numerous gastronomic and wine festivals in the region. See More
McHardy Lodge Napier (Hospital Hill) 6 rooms from £280Local exploring - Enjoy the attractions of Napier and Hawke’s Bay- wineries, Art Deco Heritage, the Gannet Colony and golf at Cape KidnappersWeddings - The ideal venue for the intimate wedding party or for bridal party preparationsSights nearby - Stroll down the Marine Parade Rotary Walkway to the National Aquarium, enjoying the vista across the deep green Pacific OceanFishing - The Hawke’s Bay region has a great diversity of fishing opportunities
Luxury boutique lodge in easy distance of the Boardwalk Beach and Napier Port. Elegant rooms feature polished wooden floors, antiques, rich hues and indulgent bathrooms (the best of which have free-standing baths). Featuring a pool and billiards room. A relaxing base to explore the scenic region. See More
Breckenridge Lodge RD3 Napier 4183 5 rooms from £370Foodies - Five course dinners are served using local produce and paired with regional winesGreat walks - Napier is the Art Deco capital of the world - take a guided walking tour to learn about the townRestrictions on children - Children over 13 are welcomeFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
A boutique lodge set in an enviable spot offering 360-degree views of chardonnay vineyards. The five rooms are all individually styled and have a homely feel. The owner and chef make this a real foodies destination - serving five-course meals paired with regional wines. Ideal for a romantic break. See More