Search the best hotels in Hastings
Nestled at the heart of New Zealand’s famed Hawke’s Bay region, the Hastings area combines fantastic food and wine with spectacular scenery, making this a hugely appealing destination for foodies and outdoor explorers. Popular with visitors, Hastings offers a huge variety of accommodation options — from simple B&Bs to luxurious hotels — catering to a whole host of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Hastings promise striking views, chic rooms and a focus on using fresh, local produce. Whether you’re travelling as a family, a group of friends or a couple dreaming of romantic bliss, the Hastings District has something for everyone.
Set slightly south of Napier and surrounded by orchards, Hastings is one of the region’s key commercial hubs. The city’s leafy streets are lined with some very cool art deco buildings, constructed in the 1930s and ‘40s following terrible earthquake damage in 1931. The 1932 Westerman’s Building, designed in the Spanish Mission style, is well worth admiring, as is the more modern Hastings City Art Gallery. Whether you choose to take a guided city tour or to explore by yourself, pause to see Ngā Pou o Heretaunga, a significant collection of 18 Maori carvings on display in Clive Square. If you’re in town on a Sunday morning, head to the Hawke’s Bay Farmers’ Market to fill your bags with artisanal cheeses, meat and fresh fruit and vegetables. There’s plenty to tempt any visiting foodies in the city’s thriving cafes, bars and restaurants, too!
Discover the region on foot or two wheels with the Hawke’s Bay Trails, criss-crossing along paths and quiet country roads to take in the best of the area’s natural scenery. The Hastings iWay Loop is an urban cycle route which links up to the Trails, and offers a great starting point. Beyond the city limits, there’s horse riding, fishing, golf and hiking to try, as well as world-class vineyard tours. Outdoor enthusiasts will adore the dramatic views from atop Te Mata Peak, or coastal rambles along the clifftops near Cape Kidnappers, where you can also visit the world’s largest mainland gannet colony. Cool off at the Splash Planet water theme park with the kids, or hit family-friendly Waimarama Beach, also popular with surfers and kayakers.
Many of the best places to stay in Hastings are outside the city, tucked amidst the region’s breath-taking landscapes. Soak up the natural wonders of this striking part of Hawke’s Bay, savour some superb food and wine, and unwind in blissful surroundings.
The Best Places to Stay in Hastings
For contemporary chic
- Porters Boutique Hotel offers luxurious, modern rooms and suites in a glass-fronted edifice, set in the village of Havelock North. Stay here for the smart, slick vibe, the excellent location -- ideal for exploring the Hastings and Hawke's Bay area -- and the fantastic food. Kick back with a glass of wine in the bar, or feast with friends at the laid-back bistro. Trendy and chic.
- Craggy Range Cottages is a collection of nine beautifully-appointed cottages nestled around the famed Craggy Range Winery. Choose this property for its cool, contemporary design, marvellous views of Te Mata Peak, and award-winning restaurant. Foodies and wine lovers will adore the on-site eatery and Cellar Door bar, both of which are destinations in themselves.
For a romantic stay
- The Manse features two pretty, traditionally-decorated rooms in a beautiful historic house. Think floral prints, European antiques, and superb food. Set on a working farm bordering the Gimblett Gravels and Ngatarawa wine regions, the hotel also offers truffle-hunting excursions and fishing. A tranquil couples' retreat.
- Greenhill Lodge promises five elegant, antique-filled rooms in a gorgeous red-roofed lodge hidden in 73 acres of farmland. Pick this place for striking outlooks over the surrounding countryside, big sink-into beds, free-standing baths and cosy fireplaces. The courtyard pool and 3-storey turret are real highlights. Indulgent and romantic!
- The Farm at Cape Kidnappers fuses rustic charm with modern style to create chic, understated suites -- including two-bedroom Family Suites -- featuring panoramic views of the sea and the property's 6000 acres of farmland. With walking trails, horse riding, cycling, a swimming pool, onsite spa and great golf course, there's no shortage of activities for couples or families to try. Enchanting.
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Napier International Airport and hop aboard a bus or taxi for the short ride to Hastings (approx. 20 minutes). If you are staying somewhere more remote, your hotel should be happy to arrange an airport pickup from Napier, or you can choose to rent a car.
- Hastings and the Hawke's Bay region are fantastic to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Time your trip for the summer months (December to February) for balmy temperatures averaging at around 21°C. This is a very popular time to visit, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in neighbouring Napier.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in North Island
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hastings
Best Hotels in Hastings
Porters Boutique Hotel Hastings (Havelock North) 42 rooms from £125Families - Adjoining rooms and nanny services are available plus there's plenty of in-house entertainment for childrenActive Holiday - Hawke's Bay is known for its adventure activitiesFishing - Fly-fish in tranquillity with Grant Petherick Fly Fishing tours
A smart hotel offering luxury accommodation in Hawke's Bay. Spacious rooms are sleek and contemporary with sink-into beds, rain showers and private balconies. Eating options range from a sophisticated restaurant to a laid-back bistro plus there's a bar to sample wines of the region. See More
Craggy Range Cottages Hastings (Havelock North) 9 rooms from £209Foodies - The restaurant uses local organic produce in creative dishes inspired by traditional cuisine (well paired with house wines)Country Escape - A unique experience to stay on a remote and award-winning vineyard with spectacular views and wines to enjoy that withRomantic Break - With fine-dining, wine tasting, and secluded luxury accommodation, this is perfect for a romantic breakGreat walks - Take long walks through the scenic estate
A unique wine and food experience set in a remote location in picturesque Hawke's Bay. Individual cottages are contemporary and light and feature private pools, terraces (designed to sip a glass of wine on), and wood-burning stoves. The restaurant is superb and wines award-winning. See More
The Farm at Cape Kidnappers Hastings (Te Awanga) 23 rooms from £380Golf - Private, award winning golf courseFamiliesBirdwatching - Cape Kidnappers is the home of the largest mainland gannet colony in the worldGreat walks - Variety of trails including forest, ocean and cliff walksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Charming luxury accommodation in the heart of 6000-acre sheep farm. Rooms are rustic and elegant, with top modern amenities and fantastic sea and farm views. Great walking, riding and mountain biking tracks on the property, as well as birdlife. Family-friendly rural retreat. See More
Greenhill Lodge Hastings (RD4) 5 rooms from £387Views - Viewing turret 3 storey's high looks across gardens and Te Mata PeakBack to Nature - Set on 73 acresSwimming Pool - OutdoorRemote - Off the beaten track.
The Manse Hastings 2 rooms from £350Romantic Break - At just two guestrooms and with a peaceful rural setting, book this hotel for a tranquil couples' getawayFoodies - Foodies are well-catered to at this gastro hotel, with chef-prepared meals made from local, fresh produceCountry Escape - Set on a working farm in Hawke's Bay, this hotel offers an authentic country retreatCooking classes - Hawke's Bay is a hub for food tourism; take hotel cooking classes to learn how to prepare dishes with fresh produce