Search the best hotels in Tauranga
Meaning ‘safe anchorage’, Tauranga is the largest city on the beautiful Bay of Plenty, its five kilometre harbour protected by Matakana Island. Boasting a rich culture and a busy port, Tauranga has become an increasingly popular holiday destination in recent years, due to its white sand beaches and watersports. Accommodation options include chic boutique spots as well as impressive waterfront hotels, fit for couples, families or those hosting big events. With the best places to stay in Tauranga clustered close to the harbour, you’ll be well-placed to explore on both land and water.
If you’re dreaming of sunshine and lazy beach days, look to Mt Maunganui Beach or Papamoa Beach. There’s excellent surfing, sailing, diving, snorkelling, fishing and kayaking in this area, too. Keen hikers should venture up sacred Mount Maunganui — also known as Mauao — for spectacular views, or discover the forested trails of the Papamoa Hills Regional Park. Sculpture-filled Te Puna Quarry Park is great for families and art aficionados, whilst refreshing Poripori River swims are very special.
The Bay of Plenty holds particular significance for the Māori. Delve into this heritage and sense of identity at The Elms, towards the northern tip of the Te Papa peninsula, at carved Mataatua Wharenui, or by visiting historic battlefields. An annual programme of brilliant events recognises this cultural past. Book well in advance if travelling during a festival, as the best places to stay in Tauranga fill up fast.
The Best Places to Stay in Tauranga
For Boutique Chic
- Clarence Hotel boasts 10 boutique rooms in the city's grand old post office. Savour Chef Perrin Yates’ creative farm-to-table fare at Clarence Bistro, or sip zingy cocktails with delicious Italian dishes at Bar Centrale. A bijou hotel, bistro and bar for keen foodies or fun-loving couples.
For Waterfront Views
Trinity Wharf Tauranga has a private pontoon, water-facing infinity pool and beautiful views from crisp, modern rooms and self-catering apartments. Ideal for events and weddings, the hotel has airy function rooms and a sleek, sophisticated feel.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tauranga Airport from Auckland Airport, Christchurch or Wellington, and journey to your hotel by car or taxi.
- The North Island is wonderful for a road trip. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 22°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or check out our recommendations for the best places to stay in Hamilton or Rotorua
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tauranga
Best Hotels in Tauranga
Clarence Hotel Tauranga 10 rooms from £120Foodies - Taste Chef Perrin Yates' delectable NZ fare in the Clarence Bistro, or Italian delights at the Bar CentraleLandmark - The property occupies the grand old Post Office building in the centre of townRomantic Break - With just ten sophisticated suites, this is a hip spot for a romantic breakSurfing - Mt Maunganui and Papamoa are the local go-tos for keen surfers
A chic bistro with ten contemporary suites set in the 1905-built post office, just a short walk from Tauranga Waterfront. The restaurant serves modern European dishes in a relaxed setting and there's also a bar offering cocktails & Italian fare. For fun-loving couples, friends and foodies. See More
Trinity Wharf Tauranga Tauranga 122 rooms from £126Weddings - A striking venue for a minimalist, contemporary wedding with expansive viewsBusiness meetings - Airy function rooms are ideal for conferences and business meetingsOutstanding location - Stunning waterfront location overlooking the Bay of PlentyViews - Wonderful views over the Bay of Plenty
An urban retreat on Tauranga waterfront with a private pontoon and outdoor infinity pool. Bright contemporary rooms and self-catering apartments are available with private balconies and top amenities. A great base for exploring the city and surrounding area - also good for events. See More