- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Castelo Rodrigo
About Castelo Rodrigo
This beautiful medieval hllltop village is located in Portugal’s North eastern corner, very close to the border with Spain. The best places to stay in Castelo Rodrigo can be found both in the village itself and the surrounding countryside. Its lofty position offers stunning views north to the Douro valley and east to the Spanish plains.
The village has a very long history, its castle was built in 1209 by King Alfonso of Leon, and featured heavily during the Moorish Wars and later Spanish/Portuguese altercations. The original walls remain as do the ruins of the Moura Palace.
Castelo Rodrigo is part of the St James’ Way and St Francis of Assisi is rumoured to have spent the night here on his way to Santiago de Compostela.
This pretty village is also a particularly good base for those who like walking, cycling and wine tasting, with its proximity to the Douro valley vineyards.
What not to miss
- The Clock Tower which is part of the original city walls.
- The Moura Palace is dripping in history and is now a centre of cultural activities.
- Take some time out to visit its medieval parish church, medieval cistern and 16th century Pillory, where locals faced the music!
Don't forget that the best places to stay in Castelo Rodrigo are busy during the peak summer months, so get organised and book early.
The best places to stay in Castelo Rodrigo
For great value
- Casa da Cisterna enjoys a rural setting just on the edge of the village. The property was originally an ancient cistern which has been lovingly restored to provide seven cosy, comfortable rooms with modern bathrooms, plus outdoor terrace and pool. Rooms start from as little as €65 per night.
- Due to its off the beaten track location, the best way to get to Castelo Rodrigo is to fly to either Salamanca (155km to the east) or Porto (236km to the west) and hire a car.
- Best time to visit is during the summer months. However to avoid summer heat and crowds we’d recommend a visit in May, June or early Autumn.
- If you want to hire a car to explore further afield we'd recommend our online partner, Rentalcars.
Best Hotels in Castelo Rodrigo
Casa da Cisterna 7 rooms from £57Castelo Rodrigo (R. da Cadeia 7)
In a rural setting, this ancient village cistern has been artistically renovated into a luxurious home come hotel for its visitors. Rooms are cosy with comfortable beds and couches, colourful throws and modern bathrooms. The outdoor pool and terrace are perfect for an afternoon relaxing in the sun.Local exploring - Explore the historical village of Castelo Rodrigo with its ancient houses and interesting architectureTotal relaxation - An outdoor pool with sun loungers and panoramic views make this an ideal spot for total relaxationValue chic - Well priced rooms with a hearty breakfast includedGreat walks - Beautiful walks in the countryside. A picnic basket is provided by the hotelRecommended by - I Escape