Olhos de Agua
Search the best hotels in Olhos de Agua
About Olhos de Agua
A quiet, friendly fishing village nestling on the sandy shoreline of the Algarve set against a beautiful backdrop of rusted sandstone cliffs, Olhos d'Agua is the quintessential seaside holiday destination for those seeking peace and respite. Ideal for young families or retirees, life moves slowly in this quaint village: whether you're lazily sunbathing on one of its beaches, dining at one of its restaurants or doing a round of golf at a nearby course, unwinding will be on the cards. Our collection of the best places to stay in Olhos d'Agua has something for everyone from well-priced chic stays to luxury resorts.
Perched at the centre of a sandy cove, the village has long been married to the sea. Olhos d'Agua, after all, means "eye of water" - alluding to the freshwater springs that bubble to the surface along the beach at low-tide. Bright blue fishermen's huts line the shoreline where old fishermen with leathery, walnut faces tend lovingly to their nets; in the early hours of morning, you can watch them haul their catch along the beach towards the restaurants. The village stands in the shadow of the Torre da Medronheira, the only notable historic site nearby, a 17th-century watchtower with a commanding view of the sea.
The beaches are divine and arguably some of the best in the Algarve. Due to the quiet and slow pace-of-life in Olhos d'Agua, it hasn't become a tourist trap like the nearby towns of Albufeira and Vilamoura, meaning that the beaches rarely crowded. Praia da Falesia is one such beach, with gorgeous golden sand, lined with sun loungers and bars and scattered with shallow rockpools. Nearby are sheltered, secluded coves that are well worth going to, and you can rent boats and skippers from the marina to explore them. You can also take a boat trip out to go dolphin-spotting!
What not to miss
- Go for a round of golf at the nearby golf course!
- Hire a boat and go dolphin-spotting.
- Go on a shopping spree at Vilamoura, only 15 minutes away, going west, where you can find a wide range of chic boutiques and a beautiful marina.
- Lounge lazily at the Praia da Falesia and bathe in the blazing sun!
- Walk along the main street, past the restaurants, bars and cafes, following it down the hill to the waterfront, where you can watch the fishermen tend to their nets.
- Take a day trip out to Albufeira, heading 15 minutes east, with its famous nightlife, picturesque historic centre, Roman aqueduct, mosaics and beautiful Arabian architecture.
To start planning your trip browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Olhos d'Agua below.
The best places to stay in Olhos d'Agua
- Quinta do Mel: standing amidst rolling green pasture, this charmingly renovated old farmhouse offers colourful traditional rooms and facilities like bike hire. There is a farm shop and tea room too. Ideal for couples - no children are allowed. An oasis of tranquillity.
- Anantara Vilamoura Resort: a luxury spa hotel standing by a golf course, offering bright and lushly decorated modern rooms, a sumptuous restaurant, pampering spa facilities, two swimming pools and tennis courts. Ideal for large families.
- Pine Cliffs Resort: this gorgeous whitewashed resort looks almost like a temple. If it was, it would be dedicated to the gods of luxury. With a spoiling spa, tennis courts, swimming pools, golf course and a fantastic gourmet restaurant. The rooms are minimalist and bright, with large balconies offering spellbinding views.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the autumn when you miss the summer crowds, and the temperature averages at around 24 degrees.
- Fly to Lisbon, get a train to Albufeira from where you can get either a bus or taxi to Olhos d'Agua.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Algarve.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Portugal.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Olhos de Agua
Best Hotels in Olhos de Agua
Quinta do Mel Olhos de Agua (Algarve) 10 rooms from £69Back to Nature - A quieter spot in the Algarve surrounded by some of its finest sceneryActive Holiday - Plenty of outdoor pursuits right on your doorstepGreat walks - The surroundings of Quinta do Mel are ideal for walking.Fishing - Go on a private fishing trip
Quinta do Mel is a traditional old farmhouse that has been renovated to host guests in comfortable bedrooms with views over the surrounding farmland. The hotel also has a small farm shop and tea room selling local produce. Plenty of activities on offer with good local knowledge for exploring. See More
Anantara Vilamoura Resort Olhos de Agua 280 rooms from £120Total relaxation - A 'has it all' property offering a fabulous spa, two pools and the option to play a round of golf too.Sailing - Enjoy a romantic cruise around the bay.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Pine Cliffs Resort Olhos de Agua (Apartado 887) 535 rooms from £167Families - With numerous on-site activities on offer this is the perfect spot for families.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolsViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A pretty white washed resort on the stunning Algarve coast. Simply designed rooms are light and airy with large balconies, terracotta tiled floors and crisp linen. An array of activities including the resort's own golf course, spa, pools and tennis courts is sure to keep all the family entertained. See More