Search the best hotels in Algarve
About the Algarve
The Algarve is one of Europe’s sunniest regions, with a long and gorgeous coastline of dramatic cliffs dotted with sea caves, scooped out sandy bays and long, long stretches of golden yellow beach. So it’s an obvious holiday destination for beach lovers, and our recommendations for the best places to stay in the Algarve include some fantastic beach resorts, alongside a healthy range of chic B&Bs and authentic little hideaways that you might not expect to find in such a popular region.
The cities, towns and hamlets range from lively to whitewashed and peaceful, with elegant architecture that references the Moorish influence over the region, so this is a great place for a sunny cultural expedition too.
The Algarve’s impressive national parks and reserves make it a wonderful location for eco-accommodation and rural escapes.
Surfers, divers and sailors known this region too, as do golfers and birdwatchers. And there are particular regions and hotels we can recommend if one of these pursuits is high on your Algarve to-do list.
We also have favourites amongst the busier tourist hotspots in the south, where you can expect the best of the Algarve’s holiday villas and all inclusive resorts, accompanied by vibrant nightlife and activity-packed days.
Some of our Algarve collections:
- Best Beach Hotels in the Algarve
- Best Hotels for Families in the Algarve
- Great off-the-beaten-track Hotels in the Algarve
- The Algarve’s Best Hotels for Foodies
- The Algarve’s Best Golf Hotels
- Best Spa Hotels in the Algarve
- Best Hotels for Couples in the Algarve
Where to stay - which town or resort?
- For many visitors to the Algarve Faro is just a well developed gateway, but the region’s capital is more than just an airport hub and party town. Faro retains a very Portuguese feel, and its medieval old town, complete with warren of tiny lanes, its marina and parks, and gorgeous local beaches, combine to make this a destination worthy of visiting in its own right. Aside from being easy to get to, Faro has the the islands of the Ilha de Faro, and it’s very close to the more au naturel coves and lagoons of the Parque Natural da Ria Formosa, with its incredible biodiversity of species. If you come at the right time of year you'll see flocks of flamingoes taking a break here on their migration route. Plus Faro has an incredible cathedral and beautiful whitewashed Iberian and Moorish architecture.
- Olhão is just east of Faro airport, sheltered from the Atlantic by the coastal islands, lagoons and sandbars of the Ria Formosa. Olhão’s old town is a joy to explore, with narrow alleys lined with traditional houses sporting tiled fronts, and wrought iron balconies, and hidden bars and restaurants — specialising in fresh fish — and shops selling ceramics, artisan cheeses, local wines, liqueurs, ports and honey.
- Can you imagine what the Algarve was like before the golf courses and resorts? Well that’s Tavira, a charmingly colourful old city with cobbled squares, pretty gardens and still more churches than hotels. Its port is crowded with fishing boats rather than day cruisers, and there's an old Roman bridge, and the ruins of a castle rather than themed pubs. This used to be the Algarve’s main fishing port, but an earthquake silted up the river, and now the town is three kilometres from the beaches of the Ilha de Tavira, an eight mile long stretch of beautiful golden beach. Tavira is also close to the Ria Formosa.
- If you like golden sand, bright aqua sea and pretty white towns sitting neatly atop a cliff, then you'll adore Albufeira. From the outside, it’s very well positioned for beaches, with long stretches of golden sand dotted with hidden coves or caves to both the east and west. And on the inside its town centre has narrow, winding, pedestrianised streets which are lined with charming things to look at, and a warren of whitewashed cottages amongst which you can still see the town’s Moorish roots. This is also a good spot for families, with plenty of choice when it comes to hotels and resorts, and it’s close to the beach and to some of the Algarve’s best theme parks.
- Between Faro and Albufeira is Olhos de Agua, a rather quiet and friendly fishing village with a beautiful backdrop of sandstone cliffs. This is a great spot if you’re looking for peace and comfort, with beaches that are perfect for young families, and lots of nice places to stroll to and around.
- If you drive west along the coast from Faro you’ll get to the small, cosy town of Portimão, arranged around an old harbour and a pretty waterfront promenade lined with great seafood restaurants. As well as being pretty, Portimão is close to Praia de Rocha, one of the Algarve’s most famous beaches, and to Silves, which has an incredible Crusader castle. Portimão is also popular amongst golfers.
- Beyond Portimão, continuing westward is Lagos, which is a larger centre. You’re still close to many of the same beautiful beaches, but there’s a much larger, and very atmospheric town, within pleasantly worn 16th century walls. As well as the churches and plazas, this also means good restaurants and lively bars, so this is a good place to stay if you fancy an evening out or two.
- If you keep going again you’ll get to Sagres on the westernmost tip of the region: a village at the end of the world, surrounded by white cliffs fashioned by a roaring seas, and a fairly barren landscape. Arguably Sagres is where to come to see some of Portugal’s most dramatic scenery, but it’s also loved by surfers. And walkers. Both groups appreciate the long pristine beaches soaked by manic waves, and the undiscovered feel of the place. Sagres has history too. And it’s a bit of a less-travelled gem, in a well travelled region.
In summer the sunny heat encourages rest and relaxation by the waters, but at other times of the year the Moorish castles and forts, beautiful sunny hillsides fragrant with almond blossom, and interesting museums and galleries beckon convincingly. So it’s worth booking our recommendations for the best places to stay in the Algarve early, whatever time of year you’re travelling.
The Best Places to stay on the Algarve
The Algarve’s Best Beach Hotels
- Portimão’s Bela Vista Hotel & Spa is a bit like a full size sandcastle, right on the sand of a long, smooth beach. As well as its neat towers, balconies and huge windows, the Bela Vista has a pool surrounded by palm trees and sun loungers, which are still on the beach too, really. Inside are 38 gorgeous rooms, beautifully, and individually decorated with a seaside feel and lots of blue. The restaurant is fine dining, and comes highly recommended, and the spa facilities are excellent too.
Family Friendly Beach Resorts on the Algarve
- If you want to make triply sure that you’re staying somewhere with something for everyone, the Vila Vita Parc can give you that reassurance, it just seems to have everything. Kid’s clubs for every age group, a playground with a trampoline, a creche, a family pool, tennis courts, eight onsite restaurants, a luxury spa, opportunities to try diving, underwater photography, snorkelling or other watersports and a private sandy beach. They also have a nine hole golf course. And the location, atop a cliff, surrounded by landscaped gardens, is idyllic.
- Vila Vita Collection is a sister establishment to the Vila Vita Parc. Here they offer a range of luxurious villas and apartments (which can accommodate up to 12) with all the mod cons you can think of plus seriously spoiling add ons including private chefs, butler service and use of the Vila Vita Parc yacht. Perfect for families or groups of friends.
- Memmo Baleeira is a sort of village style resort just back from the ocean, just outside Sagres. There are 144 rooms, suites and villas, with plenty of choice for families and groups, plus great facilities, including five swimming pools, kids clubs for different ages, junior dive courses, and surfing lessons nearby, a fabulous spa and a beautiful beach.
- With a range of accommodation that includes large beachfront condos, and private villas the Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is ideal for families or groups. There are also large shared public areas and a fun bar and restaurant with a great kid’s menu. The facilities are great too, there’s a choice of pools, a tennis courts, and equipment for kayaking, mounting biking, surfing, and all sorts. There’s also a kid’s club. And a fabulous spa. And the location, outside Sagres, is unspoilt and beautiful.
Some of the Algarve’s Other Great Family Hotels
- The Casa Flor de Sal is a collection of just seven unique holiday homes close to Olhão, within the Ria Formosa nature reserve. This is a good choice if you’re looking for a home-from-home feel, with comfortable space for up to six guests and lovely interiors that offer a mix of smart Scandi design and traditional Portuguese charm, which also reflects the background of the owners. Case Flor de Sal also has two outdoor pools, plus a lake and beach, a playground, a basketball/ volleyball court and a games room with a ping pong table. There's complimentary yoga classes once a week, bikes and helmets for all the family to borrow, crab racing, stargazing and guided kayaking tours.
- Grand House Algarve is a five star boutique hotel in a beautifully renovated 1920s building. While that introduction might not sound particularly family friendly, this is a great size hotel for families, with 31 rooms and suites — all of them huge, and there are numerous possibilities for arranging them to suit your family. They also offer a babysitting service, and the location, Vila Real de San António, on the eastern edge of the Algarve, is much overlooked, but is a really great beach-side town, with a beautiful marina and plenty of quiet, golden sandy beaches. And just because you’re a parent doesn’t take away one’s appreciation for luxury and nice decor!
Great Algarve Escapes
- The Suites Alba is a peaceful villa resort on the almost hidden sandy cove of Albandeira, a pretty beach west from Albufeira. With natural colours all around you, neat, green landscaped gardens with an inviting pool, this is a great place to come to relax and do some independent exploration at your own pace. The villas are homely, with lounges and kitchenettes, but there’s an elegant sea-view restaurant too, and a spa.
Some of the Algarve’s Most Romantic Hotels
- Romantic and elegant, the Vila Joya is an excellent restaurant: it has two Michelin stars, in a wonderful location overlooking the ocean. It also has 22 five star rooms, in the same Moorish style as the restaurant. There’s plenty of activities on offer if you want to keep busy or build up an appetite, but this is also a great place to relax.
- The Vivenda Miranda is an intimate, 17th century villa surrounded by lush, tropical gardens atop a cliff overlooking the Atlantic. There are just 25 rooms and suites, decorated individually, but stylishly, with a bold use of colour, plus a stunning pool terrace and a fantastic Mediterranean restaurant. There’s also direct access to Porto de Mós beach.
The Best Rural Escapes in the Algarve
- Companhia das Culturas is a charmingly rustic hotel with views over the apricot, fig and olive trees of the 40 hectare working farm the Companhia das Culturas is located on. The accommodation is in beautifully converted outbuildings: whitewashed and decorated with antiques, and with views of the garden. There’s a saltwater pool, and spa. This is definitely a wi-fi free zone, with no TVs or music, and you’re encouraged to get back to nature.
- Monte da Vilarinha is a fabulous collection of lodges, studios and apartments in the midst of a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains, which makes it great for groups keen on outdoor pursuits. Expect all the mod cons. plus a lovely crescent-shaped pool and meals by arrangement.
- Vila Monte Farm House is large, but quite secluded, a light airy, moorish style retreat, amongst orange and olive groves, with 53 rooms and suites. This is the sort of place to come to relax, with two pools, tennis courts, an open air cinema and pottery and cookery lessons available. Food comes straight from their own farm, or from very local ones, and it’s all organic and flavourful, and as well as running cooking classes, you can go with the chef to a local fish market. There’s a house party feel and an ecological focus.
Head for the Atlantic coast for the best waves, long stretches of sandy beaches make the washing machine effect less painful.
- Muxima is a delightful eco retreat within striking distance of some of the best surfing beaches in the Algarve. There are just seven suites, all with generous proportions, a global theme and lovely terraces. You’re right on the edge of the nature reserve, and while you can’t see the beach from the terraces it’s a beautiful walk. And it’s very affordable. Surfing and body boarding lessons are available at Aljezur beach.
The fauna and flora is truly stunning along the south coast with submerged caves and clear turquoise waters.
- Affordable and traditional, Dom Manuel I Charming Residence is an adults only hotel just 500 metres from one of the region’s most beautiful beaches. There are 33 rooms and suites, decorated with beautiful, traditional tiles, plus a friendly bar and a sauna. This is a great spot for divers because the Blue Ocean Diving School is on hand to offer instruction, and guide you to the most amazing local dive sites.
- Casa Fajara is another great choice for divers, or anyone wanting to learn to dive, offering a 4-6 night dive trip, where you can have a ‘try out’ scuba diving session in the hotel's pool before heading out with all the kit to open water. Aside from the pool this guesthouse benefits from being within the Costa Vincentina National Park, just five minutes from the beaches of Amada and Bordeira. They also have a tennis coach, yoga instructor, and you can take cooking classes.
Hotels with History
The usual impression of hotels in this area is of modern buildings, purpose built for the mass holiday market. We've discovered some gems that have their roots much farther back and have been converted to provide excellent, character-filled accommodation.
- The Pousada Convento Tavira is a beautifully restored, 16th century convent on Tavira’s castle hill, with cloisters dating from the Renaissance and 36 cosy bedrooms. Many of the rooms overlook the Pousada’s central courtyard, and some even have private balconies. There’s also a lovely pool and gardens. The decor is simple but stylish, and there’s a good range of room sizes, which run up to family suites. The restaurant serves regional classics.
The Algarve's Best Value Accommodation
- Quinto do Mel is a renovated, traditional farmhouse with just ten comfortable rooms, an outdoor pool and a small farm shop selling local farm produce. An adult’s only retreat with a feeling of calm and tranquility, this is a great place for walkers and birdwatchers.
- Casa Beleza do Sul is a four room casa in the unspoilt centre of charming Tavira. Occupying a beautifully restored 19th century house are stylish suites and self-catering apartments designed by the owner, who’s an architect. The beautiful mosaic floors are original, as is the shady roof terrace.
- With just three rooms and three self-catering cottages and apartments, the Quinta da Colina is one of our smallest recommendations, but we love this B&B because it’s such a tastefully converted traditionally Algarvian manor, in such a beautiful spot, surrounded by six hectares of its own grounds, which include olive, carob and orange groves. This is a great place to come to really relax and escape.
Prefer a villa or apartment?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Faro Airport is the Algarve’s main airport, and it’s just two and a half miles outside Faro. There are lots of buses from the airport to Faro, but it’s also fairly easy to catch a bus between the airport and other Algarvian centres. There aren’t any trains from the airport, but there are plenty of regional trains up and down the coast between Faro and Lagos — be prepared for a scenic, rather than fast, journey.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- With all its sunshine, the Algarve is a year round destination. Perhaps there’s more rain in April and November, but it’s generally lovely, even February can offer temperatures of up to 17 - 20ºC degrees — take a sweater for the evenings, though. The temperature heats up from May to October, with July and August reaching 32 or 33ºC.
Still not sure where to stay in the Algarve?
- You could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Faro, or the the best places to Stay in Tavira, or even the best places to stay in Sagres.
- Or you could refine your search by the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, and search for just the best beach hotels in the Algarve, or the best hotels for families in the Algarve.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in the Algarve
Best Hotels in the Algarve
Casa Rosa Villa Olhao (Algarve) 9 rooms from £100Families - With its nine bedrooms Casa Rosa is the perfect pick for an extended family holiday or a group of friendsShort break - Being only 15 mins from Faro airport this is ideal for a short break in the AlgarveMinimum Stay - 2 Nights Min Stay or 7 nights if you're booking the entire propertyLocal markets - Olhao hosts a number of markets that are worth a visit
Renovated 1950s mansion in the heart of Olhao turned B&B/exclusive use villa. Nine charming en-suite rooms boast luxury linens and rain showers, plus there's a living/dining room, courtyard with plunge pool and spacious terraces. Ideal for couples or an extended family holiday in the Algarve. See More
Vila Vita Parc Albufeira 170 rooms from £174Families - Loads of kiddie stuff so parents can unwind- playground with trampoline, swings and slides, kids club, creche and pool.Foodies - Eight onsite restaurants to choose from- we recommend the tasting menu from two Michelin Star Ocean with wine pairing.Spa breaks - State of the art spa with a huge range of treatments, yoga and meditation classes and top notch hair salonDiving - Vila Vita Parc run dive certification courses as well as courses in underwater photography& deep sea diving.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Luxury cliff-top family resort in lush gardens. Contemporary, light rooms with white on white decor drawing the eye to the spectacular sea views. Fantastic children's facilities, tennis courts, golf course, luxurious Sisley spa, and excellent food. A beach paradise. See More
Vila Vita Collection 8400-450 Porche, AlgarveSea Views - From some rooms.Spa - Exceptional Sisley Spa at Vila Vita Parc, it even has a menu for teenagers.Restaurant - Plenty of restaurants to choose from at Vila Vita ParcTennis - Tennis court and coaches available at Vila Vita Parc
Beachfront holiday villas in the Algarve don't come better than this! Contemporary and luxurious with private pools, beach views and terraces. Managed by Vila Vita Parc guests have access to all of the hotel's facilities during their stay. Private luxury with access to the best hotel in the Algarve. See More
Villa Rio Portimão (Algarve) 8 rooms from £51Hideaway - With a quiet private pool in the hotel's inner courtyard, and spacious suites tempting you to stay in, this is a great bolt-holeBeach Life - Sitting in the heart of Portimão, this hotel is perfectly located for accessing the best of the Algarve's beachesRomantic Break - Choose a suite with a four-poster bed for an added luxury touch on your romantic breakGreat walks - Explore the port city of Portimão and discover local history and architecture on a walk through the town
A four-star luxury guesthouse on Portimão's seafront. The best of the colour-themed rooms offer floor-to-ceiling windows, plush, four-poster beds and views over the port. Warm soft furnishings add a homely feel. Enjoy breakfast on the terrace before a dip in the pool. A pretty, relaxed guesthouse. See More
Dom Manuel I Charming Residence Lagos (Algarve) 33 rooms from £65Romantic Break - No children means total relaxation and a romantic stayBeach Life - A short walk from one of Lagos' best beachesSailing - Sail at the nearby beachesTennis - Tennis courts nearby
A charming adult-only hotel with outdoor pool in a tropical palm covered garden. Traditional Portuguese tiles adorn cosy bedrooms and colourful communal areas. Enjoy drinks and bar snacks by the pool or explore the many bars and restaurants nearby. Just 500m from one of Lagos' best beaches. See More
Quinta do Mel Olhos de Agua (Algarve) 10 rooms from £69Back to Nature - A quieter spot in the Algarve surrounded by some of its finest sceneryActive Holiday - Plenty of outdoor pursuits right on your doorstepGreat walks - The surroundings of Quinta do Mel are ideal for walking.Fishing - Go on a private fishing trip
Quinta do Mel is a traditional old farmhouse that has been renovated to host guests in comfortable bedrooms with views over the surrounding farmland. The hotel also has a small farm shop and tea room selling local produce. Plenty of activities on offer with good local knowledge for exploring. See More
Casa Fajara Bordeira, Algarve from £63Active Holiday - Lots of activities on offer, as well as a health and fitness retreatDiving - Great opportunity to try Scuba diving or book a 4-6 night dive week.Tennis - Tennis coaching at the on site Tennis courtHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Casa Vicentina Odeceixe, Algarve 12 rooms from £65Families - Lots of space for children to play, ride or swim and suites that sleep 4, family freedom.Groups - 12 suites, make this a great venue to book up with other families or friends.Kids Club - Playground.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Recommended by - Sawdays
Muxima Aljezur, Algarve 7 rooms from £69Families - Family suites and total informality, stimulating books, toys, outdoor games & activities for all.Eco break - Using natural processes and recycled materials.Sights nearby - On the way to the beaches of Carriagem don't forget to visit the Arregata windmill.Surfing - Monte Clerigo Surf & body board lessons are available.Recommended by - I Escape
Quinta da Colina Conceição, Algarve 3 rooms from £74Swimming Pool - Created from the old irrigation tank with original well and water wheel feature on the terrace. 5m x 5mFull of character - Retaining original features giving a true taste of Algarvian style.Sights nearby - Only 6 minutes by car from TaviraSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Sawdays
Traditional Algarvian manor which has been tastefully converted to provide B&B accommodation plus cottages and an apartment for self catering. Set amid 6 hectares filled with olive, orange and carob trees. A quieter, truly relaxing spot from which to enjoy the pleasures of the real Algarve. See More
Casa Beleza do Sul Tavira 4 rooms from £74Self catering - Self-catering studio and apartments have well-equipped kitchenettes, terraces with tables and sun loungersTown - Tavira is a charming and unspoilt old town, pretty squares and gardens, fishermen at work on their netsGolf - The Algarve is famous for its golf courses and some of the best are close to TaviraBeach nearby - Beautiful sandy beach close byRecommended by - Sawdays
Beautifully restored 19th-century house in the unspoilt, delightful town of Tavira in the Algarve. Stylish suites and self-catering apartments have been designed by the architect owner. Original mosaic floors and features have been left intact. Shady roof terraces with panoramic views. A gem. See More
Pousada de Sagres Sagres (Algarve) 51 rooms from £78Hideaway - Hidden away on a cliff-top, this is the perfect bolt-hole for those who prefer a quieter spot for a beach holidayFamilies - The spacious rooms, great views and outdoor pool make this hotel a favourite with familiesRomantic Break - The historic building and beautiful sea views mean this hotel is popular with couplesGreat walks - The hotel neighbours a national park which has plenty of marked walking trails which make a great day out
Nestled on a cliff-top away from the summer crowds, this hotel complex offers stunning views over the Algarve coast. Part of the Pousadas group of historic hotels, rooms are simply dressed in warm colours. Unwind by the pool overlooking the sea or book in for a spa treatment. A pretty seaside hotel. See More
Casa Apollo Guesthouse Faro 2 rooms from £78Local exploring - A peaceful B&B well positioned in the centre of the city for exploring the main attractions on footSights nearby - Explore the attractive cobbled streets of Old FaroGreat walks - Take a stroll along the marinaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A chic B&B offering a perfectly central location in historic Faro. Housing just two rooms both of which have a clean modern feel with whitewashed walls, crisp white linen and potted plants. A large walled garden features a lovely pool. An adult-only space perfect for a romantic break for two. See More
Companhia das culturas Altura (rua do monte grande) 8 rooms from £78Restaurant - Mediterranean and Atlantic food fusionGreat walks - Around Castro Marim and Cacela VelhaFull of character - Simple and rural rustic charmFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Sawdays
Charming and rustic hotel on 40 hectare working farm. Rooms have whitewashed walls, antique furnishings and French doors leading out into garden. With a hammam Turkish bath, outdoor saltwater pool, yoga, Tai-chi and Qi-gong classes. Close to beaches, local markets and great walks. Value chic. See More
Herdade Quinta Natura Algarve 4 rooms from £82Local exploring - With a natural park next door, beaches a stone's throw away, and a short drive to Lagos, there's lots of local exploringBack to Nature - Located next to the Natural Park of the Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina, this is a perfect escape to natureRomantic Break - The tranquil setting and pretty rooms with private terraces make this a favourite with couplesGreat walks - Plan a hiking trail through the neighbouring natural park for an active day outRecommended by - I Escape
This beautiful rural guesthouse is nestled on the cusp of a verdant natural park. All of the uniquely designed rooms lead onto a private terrace; expect a modern finish with warm undertones. Stroll through the nearly twenty acres of gardens, boasting a stream and walking trails. An idyllic retreat. See More
Convento Olhao 9 rooms from £87Romantic Break - Hidden away down a picturesque street, it's the perfect escape in the Algarve for a intimate, romantic break.Sights nearby - Take a day-trip to Tavira with it's historic, hilltop castle.Birdwatching - The surrounding coastline is great for birdwatching.Fishing - Sea fishing trips can be organised by the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hidden in the artistic pilgrimage site of Olhao, Convento encapsulates the rich elegance and charm of the surrounding city. A tranquil atmosphere pervades throughout the hotel with its beautiful rooms and peaceful central courtyard. Perfect for a relaxing escape in the Algarve. See More
Pousada de Faro Faro, Algarve 63 rooms from £94Restaurant - The restaurant serves typical Portguese dishes such as Gaspacho, Tuna Carpaccio and Cataplana FishPalace - The palace was built by Jose Franciscio da Silva, Viscount of EstoiSit-out Terrace - Hot sunny terrace and shady parasols by the swimming poolSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
An historic 18th century Rococo palace in the village of Estoi, ten kilometres from Faro. Now a comfortable hotel with a swimming pool, spa and restaurant O Visconde serving Portuguese specialities. The original ornate rooms are paired with contemporary furnishings, bedroom suites are luxurious. See More
Quinta dos Perfumes Altura (Conceição e Cabanas de Tavira) 6 rooms from £95Total relaxation - A chilled out Portuguese paradise with outdoor saltwater pool, rolling green lawns framed by orange trees and regal sun loungersSights nearby - A perfect base for exploring Tavira, and Pedro the owner has a wealth of local knowledgeSwimming Pool - Salt water poolRestaurant - Breakfast only
A beautiful farmhouse turned boutique hotel just outside the lovely village of Tavira. Each of the six rooms comes with a terrace overlooking the sea or gardens, and some offer a kitchenette. With 36 hectares of orange trees, a saltwater pool and fabulous fresh breakfast it's hard to beat. See More
Monte da Lua Olhao (Quelfes) 6 rooms from £100Total relaxation - Relaxation is on the cards- lounging by the pool, enjoying an open air massage or chilling with a beer in the VilinhaFamilies - Expansive gardens, plenty of board games and books to choose from, and a lovely pool with a shallow endSights nearby - Take a day trip to one of the many hisotric towns nearby- Estoi, Tavira and StoGreat walks - Wander the expansive gardens and even lend a hand in the vegetable patchRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A charming guesthouse surrounded by gardens, in picturesque Portuguese countryside. Individually styled rooms offer comfortable bedding, original artworks and direct access to the gardens from their private terrace. Quirky interiors, excellent food, friendly personal service and lovely grounds. See More
Hotel Faro & Beach Club Faro 90 rooms from £103Romantic Break - With chic suites and a terrace pool with sea views, book this hotel for a cosy romantic getaway by the beachLocal exploring - Set between the city and the coast, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in the AlgarveBeach Life - Featuring its own beach club located on the seafront, book this hotel for a relaxing seaside breakGreat walks - Explore Faro's old town on a long walk starting at the Arco da Vila, a neo-classical archway comprising an original Moorish wall
This smart hotel is located close to the coast in downtown Faro, overlooking the marina and the old town. The bright guestrooms are simple yet elegant, bringing the seaside in through a nautical palette. Head to the hotel beach club for laid-back drinks on the seafront terrace. See More
Casa Modesta Olhao (Algarve) 9 rooms from £104Back to Nature - With the beautiful coastline close by and a natural park around the corner, this guesthouse makes a great retreat to natureLocal exploring - Book a package with the hotel to explore the local area with a traditional boat ride, birdwatching and bread bakingRomantic Break - Enjoy a quiet couples' getaway at this guesthouse; the private terraces are perfect for romantic down-timeCooking classes - Take a cooking class at the guesthouse and enjoy cooking with produce from the organic garden on-site
In this contemporary take on a seaside guesthouse, modern architecture combines with traditional Algarvean materials. Simple, bright rooms lead up to private terraces with sea views, perfect for sunbathing. Cool down in the hotel pool before sampling wine from the cellar. A unique bolt-hole. See More
The Magnolia Almancil, Algarve 77 rooms from £104Value chic - A fun and affordable spot boasting heated pool, games room, live dj sets and open air movie nights complete with cocktailsTennis - For those who like to keep active on holiday there are tennis courts on siteGreat walks - Head down to Quinta do Lago beach for a stroll along the white sand dunesLively - Hip and happening.
A lively and fun 1950's American style motel in Quinta do Lago. There is something for everyone with a spa, heated pool and rooms and independent cottages both decorated in a vibrant and modern style. The restaurant and bar are equally colourful and serve craft beers and American cuisine. See More
Monte do Álamo Tavira (Algarve) 6 rooms from £108Back to Nature - Sitting in the quiet countryside of the Algarve, away from the summer tourists, this is the perfect back to nature retreatFamilies - The family rooms are great for those travelling with children; kids love the swimming pool tooRomantic Break - The relaxed, homely atmosphere of this country guesthouse scores highly with couplesCooking classes - Take a cooking class at the guesthouse and learn how to use the farm's own organic ingredients in dishesRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This guesthouse sits within a beautiful converted farmhouse in the countryside on the Algarve coast. The best suites have sea views and spacious private terraces. The décor is warm and contemporary. The farm is still in use, and guests can enjoy meals prepared with local produce. A rustic retreat. See More
Suites Alba Algarve 50 rooms from £112Beach Life - The gate at the end of the garden leads to the tiny, hidden sandy cove of Albandeira, one of the Algarve’s prettiest beachesSpa breaks - Spa Alba offers a range of treatments which help to restore equilibriumLocal markets - Stroll through the lovely local market in Carvoeiro, specialising in local food and craftsSights nearby - Head to the castle in Silves for a taste of the Algarve of old
A harmonious resort designed in cool natural tones, with access to a gorgeous beach and a pretty garden with a pool. Homely villas with lounges and kitchenettes are furnished in a pared back yet chic style. The restaurant offers great sea views, and the indulgent spa is not to be missed! See More
Quinta Bonita Country House & Gardens Lagos, Algarve 8 rooms from £112Romantic Break - A wonderfully private and secluded spot, beautiful gardens and fabulous beaches, romantic walks or simply poolside heaven.Exclusive use - Quinta Bonita is very well set up for groups of friends or families to take over the entire propertyYoga - The property is geared up for group yoga retreats with its amazing glass fronted studioGarden - Stunning walled grounds with fountains, ponds, terraces and a giant chess set.Recommended by - Sawdays
A rural romantic hotel with beautiful gardens and a lovely pool. Individually designed rooms and suites are elegant and glamorous in a contemporary classic style and all boast a private terrace or balcony with stunning views. Close to Lagos and its beaches. Very picturesque, and grown-up. See More
Pousada Convento Tavira Tavira (Algarve) 36 rooms from £113Value chic - Reasonably priced charming Baroque and Renaissance Pousadas steeped in history with, plush rooms and pretty courtyard garden.Sights nearby - Within walking distance of the town’s great sites, such as the 16th-century Igreja da Misericórdia.Great walks - With wonderful walking around the hilly countryside and through the historic town.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A beautifully restored 16th Century convent on Tavira’s castle hill. With Renaissance cloisters, courtyard pool and central garden. Pretty rooms with splashes of bright colour and private balconies. Enjoy the traditional regional cuisine and wide range of Portuguese wines. See More
Monte da Vilarinha Algarve from £113Active Holiday - The setting provides all the inspiration you need to walk, cycle, ride, sail or just happily relax in beautiful surroundings.Families - Studios, apartments and lodges perfect for families of all sizes.Surfing - The Costa Vicentina is home to some of Europe's best beaches.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
A lovely family hotel in a stunning valley location surrounded by mountains, beaches, and lakes. A collection of studios, apartments, and lodges with all the mod cons, including DVD players. Large crescent pool, lunch and dinner by arrangement, a playground for outdoor pursuits. See More
Farmhouse of the Palms São Brás de Alporte, Algarve 7 rooms from £117Total relaxation - An idyllic location on the Mediterranean makes this place a great spot to relax.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the abundant beauty of the Eastern Algarve.Sights nearby - Three miles from the magnificent Ruins of Milreu in Estoi.Minimum Stay - There is a min stay of 2 nights, 3 nights in peak season.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Farmhouse of the Palms is a glorious B&B set in a 200 year old Portuguese farmhouse. Mixing its original design with a modern aesthetic, the hotel's rooms are stylish and chic. Lounge by the hotel's wonderful pool or take a bike ride through the beautiful Algarve surroundings. See More
Memmo Baleeira Sagres 144 rooms from £118Active Holiday - There are endless options for an active holiday at this hotel; explore the coast on foot, two wheels or even by boatFamilies - This is family holiday heaven- with kids club, kiddie menu, junior dive courses, plenty of beaches and activties.Great walks - Take a picnic and head out along this rugged and stunning coastline and discover some of the least spoilt beaches in Europe.Surfing - Memmo's surf centre offer's lessons, equipment and storage facilities; make the most of some of Portugals best surfing.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
This chic beachfront hotel overlooks the dramatic Atlantic coast. Bright rooms are dressed in earthy tones with natural accents; the best have a balcony with sea views. The hotel boasts a newly renovated pool, spa and restaurant, plus a fun children's play area. A fresh look for this seaside hotel. See More
Vila Valverde Lagos 15 rooms from £119Total relaxation - Crafted for relaxtion, with comfortable suites, massage treatments, sauna and laid back atmosphere.Great walks - Explore the Monchique hills on foot, the hotel will provide a light packed lunch.Fishing - The hotel will organise big game fishing trips on request.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only property
Lavish accommodation surrounded by orange groves and olive trees. Contemporary white building with lots of natural light, huge terraces, and beautiful views over the grounds. Portugese specialities in the restaurant and lovely swimming pool. A real hideout in supreme comfort. See More
Anantara Vilamoura Resort Olhos de Agua 280 rooms from £120Spa breaks - Award winning spa featuring ancient Mediterranean therapies and energetic Asian techniques. Pool, steam room and saunaTotal relaxation - A 'has it all' property offering a fabulous spa, two pools and the option to play a round of golf too.Sailing - Enjoy a romantic cruise around the bay.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Grand House Algarve Vila Real de Santo António, Algarve 31 rooms from £139Families - The family suites are great for those travelling with children; there are babysitting services available to give parents a breakBeach Life - The hotel has a private beach club with an infinity pool, perfect for a beach holiday (free transfers from the hotel)Romantic Break - The luxurious rooms and romantic rooftop bar make this hotel a favourite with couplesSights nearby - Try sightseeing in style with a day out in a hotel limousine to explore the local area
This five-star boutique hotel on the River Guadiana occupies a renovated 1920s building. The colonial-style interior design nods to the hotel's heritage; the prettiest suites have a French balcony and living space. Enjoy views from the rooftop terrace or at the beach club. A stately luxury hotel. See More
Pine Cliffs Resort Olhos de Agua (Apartado 887) 535 rooms from £167Spa breaks - Award Winning Serenity Spa with wide range of treatments and wellness packages including detox and weight managementFamilies - With numerous on-site activities on offer this is the perfect spot for families.Restaurant - To suit every taste and budgetTennis - Annabel Croft tennis academyRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A pretty white washed resort on the stunning Algarve coast. Simply designed rooms are light and airy with large balconies, terracotta tiled floors and crisp linen. An array of activities including the resort's own golf course, spa, pools and tennis courts is sure to keep all the family entertained. See More
Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel Sagres (Vila do Bispo) 37 rooms from £146Families - Children are more than well catered for with a range of activities on tap including football on the beach and bikes to borrow.Spa breaks - Finisterra Spa offers a range of therapies for all ages (from babies to grandparents), plus couples' and family treatmentsResort - Your own stylish villa with activites, entertainment and delicious menus. How to make your stay stress free.Private villas - The resort is made up of varying private villas and beachfront condos.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
The varying luxury accommodation at Martinhal, from rooms to beachfront condos to private villas, makes this resort ideal for energetic family holidays. The plethora of water sports and activities available is thrilling. A child-centric haven on the Algarve’s unspoilt west coast. See More
Forte de Sao Joao de Barra 8800-595 Cabanas de Tavira, Algarve 10 rooms from £152Eco break - Restored in as eco-friendly a fashion as possible, using natural building materials, solar panels and fans instead of ACBack to Nature - An escape back to nature- sandwiched between olives groves, the Ria Formosa nature park and the bay of CadizGreat walks - You are spoilt for choise here- pick between the gardens, the beach, the nature reserve and the town!Birdwatching - Thanks to the nature reserve behind the fort, this area teams with birdlifeRecommended by - Great Small Hotels , Tablet
A magnificent 17th century fort, turned eco guesthouse, overlooking Ilha de Cabanas. Rooms are simple and chic, with high vaulted ceilings, exposed brick walls, carved wood beds and crisp linens. Gardens and terraces perched on the ancient walls overlook the bay of Cadiz. An unforgettable stay. See More
Pensao Agricola Algarve 6 rooms from £152Honeymoons - An adults only secluded paradise, surrounded by orange, fig and almond trees also offering five course al fresco dinnersGreat walks - Explore the rolling orchards filled with orange, fig and almond trees and meet Ernesto and Julia the hotel's donkeysBirdwatching - Ask your hosts to organise a bird watching trip in the marshlandsRestrictions on children - Adult-onlyRecommended by - I Escape
A charming and utterly chic farmhouse turned boutique hotel outside Cacela Velha. Whitewashed walls and concrete floors are matched by vintage furnishings and clever up-cycled light fixtures and design quirks. The food is fabulous and your hosts are as warm and welcoming as they come. Heaven. See More
Praia Verde Boutique Hotel Altura (CASTRO MARIM) 40 rooms from £154Cooking classes - Mediterranean cuisine workshops are offered for childrenSwimming Pool - Several outdoor poolsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Vivenda Miranda Lagos (Algarve) 25 rooms from £183Spa breaks - Pampering spa with extensive choice of organic, ethical and sustainable treatments, sauna, steam room, foot spa and hot tub.Romantic Break - A secluded paradise on the Atlantic- plenty of opportunities for romance with sunset walks and candlelight dinners for two.Local markets - The summer months see the streets filled with trinkets, however the Fish Market in the early morning is worth a visit.Restaurant - Good meat and fish meditteranean dishes with home grown and locally sourced produce.
Intimate 17th Century villa resting in luscious tropical gardens, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Organic Mediterranean food, made with fresh local produce. Comfortable rooms surround the pool and bask in the undisturbed ocean view. A charming resort with Provencal style rooms. See More
Conrad Algarve 8135-106 Almancil, Algarve 154 rooms from £164Golf - This the heart of prime Algarve golf country. Plus there's an onsite Pro to help with all your golf queries.Families - With a good range of accommodation, plus lots of activities on site this is a great option for families.Foodies - Gusto by Heinz Beck delivers michelin starred Mediterranean cuisineSpa - Conrad spa offers cabanas for indoor or outdoor treatments, plus pool, saunas, ice fountain and Elixir lounge
Family friendly luxury resort in the heart of the Algarve's prime golf country. Contemporary rooms and suites in muted hues with balconies overlooking the pool or countryside, and luxurious bathrooms as standard. Superb dining including Michelin starred Gusto, plus activities galore. See More
Longevity Health and Wellness Hotel Portimão 70 rooms from £174Spa breaks - This is a wellbeing and health focussed property so you can expect excellent spa facilties on site.Views - Great views over either Alvor Bay or Monchique Mountain from your balcony.Restaurant - The Mediterranico Restaurant serves delicious mediterranean cuisineSurfing - Alvor beach, a shuttle ride away, has a popular kitesurf centre.
Casa Mae Lagos 30 rooms from £191Local exploring - Well located to explore the historic city and access the beautiful beaches.Kayaking - Kayak along the coast to marvel at the natural arches and explore the caves.Sights nearby - Admire the stunning frescoes in the Igreja de Santo António.Great walks - Wander through the historic streets of Lagos.
A striking white property standing tall in the historic streets of Lagos. Find a perfect mix of traditional and contemporary design throughout with white on white hues, wooden floors and plenty of glass. An excellent restaurant serves up traditional healthy fare and a choice selection of wines. See More
Vilalara Thalassa Resort Porches 8400-450 Lagoa, Algarve 131 rooms from £199Families - With a kids club, playground, tennis courts, extensive gardens and multiple pools this is the perfet place to let the kids looseSpa breaks - This spa resort boasts a world leading thalassotherapy centre and excellent 6 day courses in slimming, anti-aging, detoxing etcGreat walks - Wander the extensive grounds smelling the citrus trees, admiring the bougainvillea and listening to the crash of the AtlanticTennis - There are four tennis courts on site, so there is no excuse for lazing around
A full-service resort sitting on twelve hectares of stunning gardens running down to the cliffs of the Algarve. The rooms are generous, with even the smallest offering seating areas, and decorated in simple elegant style. The spa is the main draw here, though the three restaurants don't disappoint. See More
Bela Vista Hotel & Spa Portimão (Praia Da Rocha) 38 rooms from £200Beach Life - A unique setting, almost completely surrounded by a beautiful sandy beach.Watersports - The property sits directly on the beach.Surfing - From Praia de Rocha there are boat trip, kayaking, surfing and dolphin watching which can be booked and organised from there.Kayaking - There are boat trip, kayaking, surfing and dolphin watching which can be booked and organised from there.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Conversas de Alpendre Algarve 11 rooms from £250Romantic Break - The luxurious feel to this guesthouse, particularly the suite with the private hot tub, make it a perfect romantic getawayTotal relaxation - With a saltwater pool, restaurant and bar all on-site, there are all the ingredients for ultimate relaxation right hereFamilies - The self-catering family apartment is a spacious and bright space, great for travelling with kidsGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural landscape of the Algarve on a marked walking trail in the Ria Formosa Natural ParkRecommended by - I Escape
A beautiful rural guesthouse on the Algarve coast. The best of the bright suites boast a private outdoor hot tub. The interior design marries modern fittings with wooden accents, in keeping with the country setting. The family apartment is great for travelling with children. A quiet, luxury getaway. See More
Vila Monte Farm House Tavira 53 rooms from £286Foodies - The wholesome delicious cuisine never dissapoints- perhaps because it comes straight from the garden or local organic farms.Romantic Break - A sophisticated couples paradise- with secluded rooms, private terraces, couples massages and romantic picnics on the beach.Cooking classes - The chef happily takes tours to the local markets such as Olhao's big fish market.Tennis - Head out on the hotel courts and try and work off your lunch!Recommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux, Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
A refreshing Moorish style retreat, nestled in orange groves and organic gardens. Light, airy and effortlessly stylish rooms offer seclusion, comfort and private terraces. Gourmet farm to fork cuisine served in a relaxed atmosphere. Two pools, tennis courts, and open air cinema seal the deal. Bliss! See More
Hotel Quinta do Lago Almancil, Algarve 141 rooms from £291Active Holiday - A golfers paradise with four courses within the Quinta do Lago development, plus ping pong, hiking, cycling, and watersports.Total relaxation - With five star facilities, top of the range spa treatments, Hammam and plenty of poolside lounging.Tennis - Make the most of the on site tennis courts, or have a go on the ping pong tables inside!Great walks - Wonderful walks along the Quinta do Lago and along the private beach area.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
A prestigious 5* star property in the Algarve with fantastic facilities, panoramic views and private bridge to the beach. Suites are spacious and well decorated with balconies and a great selection of restaurants. Enjoy the luxurious beach life with a range of activities, pools and spa treatments. See More
Vila Joya Albufeira 22 rooms from £304Foodies - Chef Dieter Koschina runs the Two Michelin Star restaurant- phenomenally tasty, locally sourced and utterly inspired cuisine.Spa breaks - An indulgent spa with extensive therapies including Swedish massage, aromatherapy and reflexology.Tennis - Brush up on your tennis skills with the hotels coach before taking on fellow guests.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Casa Flor de Sal OlhaoKayaking - Casa Flor de Sal operates guided kayaking tours of the lagoon in front of the propertyMinimum Stay - Low Season min stay is 3 nights, but in high season you need to book 7 nights.Swimming Pool - There are two outdoor pools and a natural swimming lake.Full of character
Seven unique holiday houses in the Algarve located in the UNESCO Ria Formosa Natural Park near the historic town of Olhão. Complimentary yoga and bikes, sandy island beaches and wildlife, activities for all ages. Casa Flor de Sal is a home from home with 24h customer service. See More