- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Penafiel
Penafiel is a former Bishopric and town of some 72,000 in the Northern Portuguese region of Porto. It’s origins date back to prehistory, as evidenced by many megalithic monuments. The best places to stay in Penafiel provide a comfortable base from which to truly enjoy this wonderful area, whether you've come for the history, the spas or the vines!
The town is rich in history and tradition with a strong ecclesiastical theme. Penafiel thrived economically through agriculture and fishing but also as a cultural and religious centre. By the tenth century Penafiel was a very prosperous place as much of the contemporary architecture confirms. Modern Penafiel continues to support a wide range of business both service based and industrial.
Its extremely healthy tourist business has grown over time around various spas and hydropathic treatments - notably the Sao Vicente and Inatel Entre-os Rios Spas. The waters are renowned for their quality and also efficacy in helping with respiratory and musculo-skeletal issues.
This is also Vinho Verde country so there is plenty of tasting to be had in the surrounding vineyards.
The holiday seasons tend to coincide with local festivals and the religious calendar. There is a wealth of things to do and places to see, but one of the annual highlights is the Entre-os-Rios which is held every Easter and consists of the spectacles of tens of thousands of candles burning alongside the Tamega and Douro river - it's breathtaking!
What not to miss
- Castro of Monte Mozinho - also known as ‘The city of the dead’, this is an ancient neolithic fortified settlement dating back to the first century BC.
- Many beautiful Romanesque churches dotted around and about.
- Vineyard tours and wine tasting.
The best places to stay in Penafiel
For great value
- Solar Egas Moniz is a lovely country manor house B&B, half an hour’s drive from Porto. There are ten immaculate and classically decorated rooms. Complete with wine tastings, swimming pool and charming hosts!
For an apartment or villa
- For a great range of self catering properties, we suggest you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport is Porto, about 35km to the west from where Penafiel is easily accessible by train, bus or car.
- Penafiel enjoys a temperate climate, but the best months to visit are from April to October During the summer months the average temperature peaks at around the mid twenties celcius.
- If you wish to explore further afield we recommend you check out the range of hire cars with our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure what to book?
Best Hotels in Penafiel
Solar Egas Moniz 10 rooms from £63Penafiel
A divine B&B in a country manor house about half an hour from Porto. Beautifully decorated contemporary classic guest rooms with all the mod cons. An enoteca for wine tasting, large swimming pool, gardens, and excellent hosts. A really chic B&B in a vibrant region.Sights nearby - The are more than 50 Romanesque monuments built from the tenth century.Kayaking - Paiva River.Restrictions on childrenSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor