I love your site btw! Alex Slater.
Search the best hotels in Peniche
The coastal town of Peniche used to be an island until the 16th century when silt created a narrow isthmus which now connects it to the mainland. The town's lovely historic walled centre and fortress add some gravitas to the area, though the fortress has a slightly darker side to its history - its rooms used to house political dissidents during the dictator Salazar's regime in the 1950s. These days, however, visitors to the town can expect a lovely serene setting which is incredibly popular with surfers and beach-lovers alike, and Peniche in fact still functions as a working port.
Things not to miss:
- A big reason to come to Peniche is for the beaches, so it's perfect for people who like to recline on the sand soaking up the sun.
- Don’t skip Salazar’s seaside fort and the historic centre of the Av do Mar, which is where all the best seafood restaurants can be found.
- Surfers from all over head to Peniche, so it's a great place for people looking to catch some waves.
- To learn about local history and culture, visit Peniche's Museu Municipal.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Peniche tend to get very busy during the peak summer season. So if you plan to visit during July or August, do yourself a favour and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Peniche
For a hip atmosphere
Surfers Lodge Peniche is close to Baleal Beach, and is, as the name suggests, a popular spot with surfers, with its light spacious rooms, quirky art, pool, hot tub, chic bar and restaurant and glorious roof terrace.
For a home-away-from home
- White Guest House has just four rooms, understated chic style and easy access to the sea. Ideal for groups wanting to book out the whole place.
- Mercearia d'Alegeria B&B has a friendly atmosphere, shabby-chic style and wonderful breakfasts.
For nearby Óbidos Municipality
- Pousada de Obidos is a smart stay which is located just inside a national monument. The lovely accommodation juxtaposes traditional furnishings with contemporary bathrooms, whilst you can enjoy an evening tipple at sunset looking over the town.
- Casa Das Senhoras Rainhas is set in a historic townhouse located right by the ramparts. The rooms are simply-decorated but charming, and there's a pleasant restaurant to boot. Ideal for families.
For a private apartment or villa
- Browse the self-catering options available with our online partner, Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Peniche is Lisbon (59 miles). Once there, buses run directly from ‘Sete Rios' station in Lisbon to Peniche.
- To hire a car, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Peniche is from June to September when the temperatures sit comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Peniche
White Guest House 4 rooms from £37Peniche 2520-204
A smart coastal base set in the pretty fishing town of Peniche. Style is understated and chic, with the four bedrooms featuring contemporary fittings, pale wooden floors and whitewashed walls - an unfussy yet sophisticated ambience. A real home away from home and great value too!Active Holiday - Situated on a lovely coastal spot, ideal for both watersports enthusiasts and for those wanting to visit cultural sightsSights nearby - Various sights nearby including the Peniche Fortress, the Rosary Fountain and S. João Baptista FortressSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Mercearia d'Alegria B&B 9 rooms from £552520-503 Peniche
A charming B&B set in a beautifully converted old grocery store. Fresh and light, the pretty interiors feature artworks, plants, exposed beams and chic distressed furniture. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the bright kitchen area or outside on the terrace. A friendly, great-value base!Beach Life - A great base from which to explore the lovely coastline, from sheltered family-friendly coves to beaches with epic surfing wavesSurfing - There are lots of famous surf beaches on the nearby coastline, some better for beginners and some ideal for pro surfersSights nearby - Head to Peniche Fortress and the stunning natural landmark Cape CarvoeiroGreat walks - Take an amble along the pretty Peniche Churches Route
Surfers Lodge Peniche 17 rooms from £80Peniche (Ferrel)
Trendy and chic hotel close to Baleal Beach in Northern Portugal. Ensuite rooms light, spacious and with quirky art on walls. With an outdoor swimming pool, glorious roof top terrace, hot tub, funky bar and restaurant. Ideal for those who want to learn to surf as has own Academy.Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Full of characterOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor