- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Estremadura
Estremadura is the heart of rural Portugal, a rich land of emerald hills and valleys dotted with historic market towns serving delicious local specialities. On one side Estremadura has the Atlantic coast, miles of windswept beautiful coastline - very popular with surfers. There's plenty of choice when it comes to seeking out the best places to stay in Estremadura, lots of small treasures offering peace and delicious food amongst beautiful scenery.
Estremadura is a great place for foodies, and many of the regions highlights have something to do with eating. Even when you're visiting the region's spectacular abbeys and monasteries, you'll find there's still a foodie element to the displays.
Estremadura is also home to Portugal's largest cave system, an important dinosaur fossil monument, numerous fortresses, some spectacular walking trails, a number of interesting local museums and several notable castles.
What Not To Miss
- Be sure to check out Escoural Cave to learn all about prehistoric life and see the ancient paintings on the cave walls.
- The stunning baroque Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Alcobaça, dating back to the 12th century, is a must see if you're in the region.
- The Monumento Natural das Pegadas dos Dinossáurios is a fascinating spot - wander around and take in the sauropod footprints (over 1,000 of them!) with the oldest dating from 175 million years ago.
- Take the family around the Buddha Eden, a garden filled with large sculptures of Buddha. There's even a little tourist train that goes around which is perfect for tired kids!
This a region just waiting to be explored - probably best by car or bike. Our pick of the best places to stay in Estremadura are all well placed make the most of the area.
For a townhouse
- Challet Fonte Nova is a gorgeous townhouse in the style of the Portuguese nobility, with high ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. Close to some local highlights, without being too close to town, so it's great for walkers and those looking for an escape.
- Casa das Senhoras Rainhas is right in amongst the ramparts of Medieval Óbidos, with colourful rooms, private balconies, a pleasant courtyard and a lovely restaurant. You're also right by Óbidos' lagoon.
For the beach
- Areias do Seixo offers eco-luxury right on the beach. Accommodation is in rooms, villas or one townhouse, each decorated differently, with a wood burning stove here and a touch of Scandi minimalism there. The spa and restaurant are consistently good though.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Estremadura's nicest in the summer months, with the average temperature climbing to 24°C in July. This however is peak tourist season, so if you fancy a quieter and cheaper time to visit then consider coming in September or October.
- International guests can fly into Lisbon Airport, served daily by direct flights from Stansted with Ryanair, Luton and Gatwick with easyJet, and British Airways from Heathrow. easyJet also fly from Edinburgh and Ryanair from Dublin.
- The airport is well served by public transport links to take you to your final destination in Estremadura.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Estremadura
Challet Fonte Nova 10 rooms from $128Alcobaça, Estremadura
A gorgeous townhouse in the style of Portugese nobility. Traditional elegant interiors have high ceilings, painting, chandeliers, killim rugs. Bedrooms have lovely private balconies looking onto the garden. A romantic spot for local exploring.Sights nearby - Alcobaca Monastery and Alcobaca Castle, Church of Vimeiro and Nazare Port.Restrictions on children - 18 and over.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Casa das Senhoras Rainhas 10 rooms from $137Obidos
An historic townhouse undergone chic renovation by the ramparts of medieval Obidos. Colourful rooms with private balconies, lovely restaurant and courtyard, and access to the Lagoon nearby. Lovely for a family holiday and local exploring.Sights nearby - Inside the castle walls of ObidosBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape