Search the best hotels in Estremadura
Estremadura is the heart of rural Portugal, a rich land of emerald hills and valleys dotted with historic market towns serving delicious local specialities. Running up one side of Estremadura is the Atlantic coast, miles of windswept beautiful coastline - very popular with surfers. There's plenty of choice when it comes to seeking out the best places to stay in Estremadura, lots of small treasures offering peace and delicious food amongst beautiful scenery.
Estremadura is a great place for foodies, and many of the region's highlights have something to do with eating. Even when you're visiting Estremadura's spectacular abbeys and monasteries, you'll find there's still a foodie element to the displays.
Estremadura is also home to Portugal's largest cave system, an important dinosaur fossil monument, numerous fortresses, some spectacular walking trails, a number of interesting local museums and several notable castles.
Where To Stay
- Cascais, located just a short distance away from Lisbon, is a chic town that's one of the country's original holiday destinations - having been frequented regularly by King Luis in the late 19th century.
- The Parque Natural de Sintra-Cascais is a beautiful spot for a holiday retreat, ideal for those who want to escape from the hustle and bustle of modern life.
- Obidos is a lovely town that oozes with that laidback Mediterranean charm.
- Peniche is surfers' heaven. This is definitely the place to stay if you want to catch some spectacular waves!
What Not To Miss
- Be sure to check out Escoural Cave to learn all about prehistoric life and see the ancient paintings on the cave walls.
- The stunning baroque Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Alcobaça, dating back to the 12th century, is a must see if you're in the region.
- The Monumento Natural das Pegadas dos Dinossáurios is a fascinating spot - wander around and take in the sauropod footprints (over 1,000 of them!) with the oldest dating from 175 million years ago.
- Take the family around the Buddha Eden, a garden filled with large sculptures of Buddha. There's even a little tourist train that goes around which is perfect for tired kids!
This a region just waiting to be explored - probably best by car or bike - and our pick of the best places to stay in Estremadura are all well-placed to make the most of the area.
- Book the Farol Design Hotel for cutting edge design and sleek, clean white style. The infinity pool almost touches the sea, there is an excellent restaurant and the bar is all chrome and glass. The relaxed style makes it perfect for couples looking for a romantic spot.
- Pousada de Cascais, set within a 16th century fortress, boasts smart contemporary rooms as well as a lovely spa. A wide range of artwork is on display and there are two excellent restaurants to choose from.
- Villa Vasco de Gama is an elegant property boasting smart and minimalist contemporary accommodation, as well as featuring a large outdoor pool and a lovely bar.
- Set in a picturesque historic mansion, Casa Da Pergola boasts elegantly traditional rooms with chandeliers and classy furnishings - feel transported back in time to another era! Enjoy a good book in the inner courtyard and the beach is just a short distance away. All this from just €55 a night!
- If you want to be right on the coastline then the best place to stay in Cascais is the Hotel Albatroz. Sitting prettily on a cliff top between two sandy coves, you couldn't be closer to the ocean. As well as having one of the best spots in town, this hotel is quite beautiful, with stylish decor in a variety of styles. The restaurant is great, and there's a range of accommodation to choose from - with some designed especially for families.
For the Parque Natural de Sintra-Cascais
- Sitting almost in the sea, the 5* Senhora Da Guia is brimming with luxury. Chic accommodation which is traditional in style, a deluxe spa and a pool with stunning views of the Atlantic. Treat yourself to a massage and enjoy first-rate meals from the restaurant.
- Offering simple yet chic contemporary rooms, with family suites available, Martinhal Cascais is a good option if you are visiting with the kids. Their every need is catered for! They can let off steam in the playground, join in with the kids club and try out the many different eateries on site. There is also a spoiling spa for the adults!
- The Oitavos, set on a 400-acre estate atop rolling dunes facing the Atlantic providing contemporary 5* accommodation. With two excellent restaurants, a golf course and extensive spa facilities there is everything you need for a top romantic getaway.
- Fortaleza Do Guincho is a beautiful beachfront 5*, boasting classically elegant accommodation with stone floors and period pieces. With a Michelin-starred restaurant, a pool and splendid sea views, the ideal romantic getaway.
- Set in a gorgeous historic building and surrounded by beautiful grounds, Penha Longa is a supreme stay. Belying the traditional facade, it provides chic contemporary rooms and features two top-notch golf courses! Choose from any one of the 5 splendid restaurants and feel a million miles away from all your worries as you unwind in their spa.
- Lawrence's Hotel, located in Sintra, offers elegant accommodation furnished in a traditional manner. Surrounded by beautiful countryside this is an incredibly relaxing stay.
- Another 5*, this time set in a stunning rural mansion, Tivoli Palacio de Seteas is a truly dreamy spot. You will love the opulent rooms in creamy tones and also the two pools set amidst lovely gardens. Work up a sweat on the tennis courts before tucking into gourmet cuisine.
- Sintra Marmoris Palace, located inbetween the national park and the city, is an elegant villa offering a range of accommodation - some rooms are exquisitely opulent! A really classy stay in a top spot.
- Casa d'Obidos is a traditional guesthouse with rooms from just €68 per night. The accommodation is unfussy and traditional, whilst you can spend your days on the tennis courts or lounging by the pool.
- Pousada de Obidos is a stunning stay located within a national monument! Featuring upscale accommodation which blends antiques with contemporary furnishings, whilst there's also a lovely restaurant with views to die for.
- Casa das Senhoras Rainhas is right in amongst the ramparts of Medieval Óbidos, with colourful rooms, private balconies, a pleasant courtyard and a lovely restaurant. You're also right by Óbidos' lagoon.
For the beach
- Areias do Seixo offers eco-luxury right on the beach. Accommodation is in rooms, villas or a townhouse, each decorated differently, with a wood burning stove here and a touch of Scandi minimalism there. The spa and restaurant are consistently good though.
- Surfers Lodge Peniche is a chic stay right by the beach. The rooms are stylish, light, and spacious, whilst there's also a swimming pool, rooftop hot-tub, bar, restaurant, and surf academy.
Off the beaten track
- Aldeia da Mata Pequena is a classically rural whitewashed house which offers a comfortable stay amidst the countryside's peace and quiet. Rooms from just €68 per night.
- Challet Fonte Nova is a gorgeous townhouse in the style of the Portuguese nobility, with high ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. Close to some local highlights, without being too close to town, so it's great for walkers and those looking for an escape.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Best time to visit Estremadura is during the summer months, with the average temperature climbing to 24°C in July. However this is peak tourist season, so if you'd prefer a quieter and cheaper time to visit then consider coming in September or October.
- Visitors can fly into Lisbon Airport, served daily by direct flights from the UK, across Europe and beyond.
- The airport is well served by public transport links to take you to your final destination in Estremadura.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Estremadura.
- Widen the net to look at our recommendations for the best places to stay in Alentejo or Algarve.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Estremadura
Best Hotels in Estremadura
White Guest House Peniche 2520-204 4 rooms from £36Active Holiday - Situated on a lovely coastal spot, ideal for both watersports enthusiasts and for those wanting to visit cultural sightsSights nearby - Various sights nearby including the Peniche Fortress, the Rosary Fountain and S. João Baptista FortressSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
A smart coastal base set in the pretty fishing town of Peniche. Style is understated and chic, with the four bedrooms featuring contemporary fittings, pale wooden floors and whitewashed walls - an unfussy yet sophisticated ambience. A real home away from home and great value too! See More
Casa da Pergola Cascais 10 rooms from £48Value chicSailing - Bay of Cascais and Tagus river.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Vila Louro Torres Vedras (1, Casal das Pedrosas) 9 rooms from £48Active Holiday - There are beaches nearby that are great for surfing and bicycles available at the hotel to explore the areaSurfing - Go to some of Portugal's most renowned surfing beaches nearby for an active day out on the wavesSights nearby - Head to the picturesque villages of Mafra and Torres VedrasSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor pool
A modern whitewashed villa set in simple, pretty gardens with a lovely indulgent pool. Inside, terracotta tiling and traditional wooden furniture create a friendly atmosphere while smart rooms are airy with polished concrete floors and unfussy modern furniture. A charming coastal bolthole. See More
Mercearia d'Alegria B&B 2520-503 Peniche 9 rooms from £55Beach Life - A great base from which to explore the lovely coastline, from sheltered family-friendly coves to beaches with epic surfing wavesSurfing - There are lots of famous surf beaches on the nearby coastline, some better for beginners and some ideal for pro surfersSights nearby - Head to Peniche Fortress and the stunning natural landmark Cape CarvoeiroGreat walks - Take an amble along the pretty Peniche Churches Route
A charming B&B set in a beautifully converted old grocery store. Fresh and light, the pretty interiors feature artworks, plants, exposed beams and chic distressed furniture. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the bright kitchen area or outside on the terrace. A friendly, great-value base! See More
Casa d'Obidos Obidos (Quinta de São José) 10 rooms from £61Local exploring - In a great location close to all important tourist attractions like the castle, Vila Natal and Caldas da Rainha hot springsFamilies - Apartments that can accommodate up to six guests are great for familiesValue chic - Incredible value for such a delightful boutique stayLocal markets - Explore the village on foot, visit local shops and local artisans
A traditional Portuguese style guesthouse with bedrooms in the main house and additional apartments. Rooms feature antique furniture and elegant trappings evoking a classical charm. There is also a homey dining room, guest lounge, games rooms, gardens, plus a pool and tennis courts. See More
Aldeia da Mata Pequena Mafra (Lisboa) 12 rooms from £61Back to Nature - In a secluded rural village between Mafra and Lisbon - a great spot to enjoy nature and simply beFamilies - Take over the place - a home away from home for holidaying familiesFull of characterTraditional
You can find these beautiful white-washed houses in agricultural Saloia. Offering comfort of a home with a kitchen, backyard and barbecue facilities. There is nothing much to do here except explore the countryside or just relax in the lounge chairs at the property. Good for a couple of days. See More
Casa Miradouro 2710-628 Sintra 8 rooms from £62Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring both Sintra and Lisbon, as well as some stunning coastal hotspotsSights nearby - Head to the park of Monserrate, the Palace of Sintra and the Moorish castle in the hill just above the B&BSurfing - For some excellent surfing head to Cascais and its surrounding beaches, just 20 minutes awayLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
A lovely hillside B&B in Sintra, with great views of both the hills and castle from the pretty garden and terrace. Inside, elegant rooms have high ceilings and elaborate cornicing, while impeccable bedrooms feature fine hardwood furniture and quality linens. A real gem, and great value too! See More
Ericeira Soul Guesthouse Ericeira (Estremadura) 7 rooms from £69Romantic Break - With smart guestrooms, a great location and stylish pool terrace, book this hotel for a laid-back romantic breakBeach Life - Set a stone's throw from the coast in an idyllic fishing village, book this hotel for a relaxing seaside breakLocal exploring - Located between the village and the coast, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in EriceiraGreat walks - Walk along the coast up to the Miradouro Ribeira d'Ilhas, a viewpoint with excellent vistas across the ocean
This hotel is nestled in one of the oldest houses in the charming fishing village of Ericeira in Portugal. The guesthouse offers contemporary rooms in a neutral palette with part-exposed stone walls and a beautifully appointed sitting room. Relax by the sleek outdoor pool after a day's exploring. See More
Surfers Lodge Peniche Peniche (Ferrel) 17 rooms from £80Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Full of characterOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Trendy and chic hotel close to Baleal Beach in Northern Portugal. Ensuite rooms light, spacious and with quirky art on walls. With an outdoor swimming pool, glorious roof top terrace, hot tub, funky bar and restaurant. Ideal for those who want to learn to surf as has own Academy. See More
Eugaria Country House Estremadura 5 rooms from £78Country Escape - A gorgeous secluded farmhouse set in picturesque Sintra Natural ParkGreat walks - As well as around the farm, there are many wonderful walks through the hills and along the coast as wellSights nearby - In nearby Sintra, visit the beautiful Sintra National Palace, Capuchos Convent and Monserrate PalaceRestrictions on children - Adult onlyRecommended by - Sawdays
This lovely 18th-century B&B is also a charming fruit farm, and meals here consist of delicious home-grown produce. The terrace and garden offer great views, while inside there's an unfussy rustic elegance with quality furniture and gleaming terracotta tiles. Ideal for discerning nature lovers. See More
Quinta do Scoto Estremadura 14 rooms from £79Total relaxation - A quiet rural property, complete with a lovely pool, ideal for simply unwindingLocal exploring - With Sintra and Lisbon easily accessible you will find plenty to discoverGreat walks - Walk to the traditional local village of Melecas, which has many more lovely walks surrounding itSurfing - Not far away there are some lovely coastal spots which are great for surfing and beachesRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming family-friendly B&B, set in pretty gardens with a dreamy pool, surrounded by gorgeous countryside. Inside, antique furnishings and pretty chinaware create an unfussy elegance. Large rooms are bright and simple, with old hardwood furniture and fine bedsteads. A tranquil country retreat. See More
Eco Soul Ericeira (Praia de Sao Juliao) 6 rooms from £83Romantic Break - Offering a limited number of beautifully appointed suites, choose this boutique bolt-hole for your next romantic breakBeach Life - Set a few minutes' walk from the renowned São Julião beach, book this hotel for your next active seaside getawayLocal exploring - With easy access to the beautiful national park and the coast, book this hotel as a base for your local exploringSights nearby - Take a day trip to Sintra, a picturesque village located in the hills which stands out for its historic palaces and gardens
This eco-retreat boasts a privileged location between the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park and Ericeira's World Surf Reserve. The individually styled guestrooms are bright and minimalist, with a handful of eclectic, homely soft furnishings. Enjoy sunset ocean views from the hotel's sit-out terrace. See More
Challet Fonte Nova Alcobaça, Estremadura 10 rooms from £98Sights nearby - Alcobaca Monastery and Alcobaca Castle, Church of Vimeiro and Nazare Port.Restrictions on children - 18 and over.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
You and The Sea Ericeira 36 rooms from £85Foodies - Jangada Restaurant is the sister eatery of Lisbon's renowned Infame and serves up delectable seafoodFamilies - With apartments designed with family in mind this is the ideal choice for a beach getawaySurfing - The beaches are ideal for surfing with waves to suit all abilitiesSwimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Tablet
A boutique hotel set right beside the beach comprising a collection of urban chic accommodations with a pared-back style, from studios to five-roomed family apartments. The hotel feels secluded yet comes with great amenities such as a spa and pool. The superb seafood restaurant is a real draw too. See More
Villa Vasco da Gama Cascais 13 rooms from £100Local exploring - Ideally located to explore Cascais, Sintra and Lisbon.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.Traditional
An elegant villa with chic contemporary interiors in the historic town of Cascais. Accommodation is minimalist in style with polished wooden floors, white washed walls, crisp white linen and luxurious bathrooms. Featuring a large pool, glamourous bar and it's just a short walk from the beach. See More
Quinta Colina Flora Estremadura 5 rooms from £95Country Escape - Set in the beautiful Sintra natural park, this is ideal for a tranquil country retreatGreat walks - The Sintra Natural Park is a paradise for hikers, with unspoilt forests, stunning coastal paths and quaint villagesSurfing - There are a wonderful array of beaches within easy distance, many renowned for their great surfSights nearby - Historic Sintra with its many palaces and attractions is only 20 min awayRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming country retreat set in a gorgeous garden with a pool and surrounded by picturesque country walks. Expect delicious home-made meals made from organic local produce. Pretty interiors are simple and tasteful, with comfortable homely rooms. A delightful pied-a-terre ideal for nature lovers. See More
Fortaleza do Guincho Cascais 27 rooms from £104Foodies - Michelin star chef.Views - Great views from hotelBeach Life5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Casa das Senhoras Rainhas Obidos 10 rooms from £104Sights nearby - Inside the castle walls of ObidosBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Quinta dos Bons Cheiros Estremadura 3 rooms from £111Local exploring - Within easy cycling distance to Sintra and close to various beaches, hiking and fishing locationsSights nearby - In Sintra, head to the Pina's Palace, the Regaleira and the PeninhaSwimming Pool - Year-round outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adult only
Lawrence's Hotel Sintra 17 rooms from £113Country Escape - An elegant retreat set in stunning countryside, with charming grounds, old world decor and fine dining.Great walks - There are beautiful walking trails in the surrounding Parque Natural de Sintra-Cascais.Sights nearby - Sintra National Palace, Moors Castle and Pena National Palace are all within a mile.Local markets - Explore the charming markets of Sintra, and pick up some local products.Recommended by - Fodors
An majestic hotel in Sintra. Its room are decorative and ornate, in particular the beds, which are beautifully adorned with elegant headboards and eiderdowns. Perfect for a romantic break to explore the rich history and culture of Sintra. A charming Portuguese destination. See More
Senhora da Guia Cascais 42 rooms from £117Total relaxation - The ideal beachside retreat with Hammam, hot tub, massages and a salt-water pool nestled between Cascais and Guincho Beach.Romantic Break - Right on the Atlantic, it's soothing seaside atmosphere makes it perfect for a romantic holiday.Sights nearby - Castle lovers can visit the Pena National Palace, the Moors Castle and Sintra National Palace, all seven miles from the hotel.Fishing - Deep sea fishing trips can be organised by the hotel.
Superb five-star hotel sitting right on the Atlantic Ocean. Luxury at every turn with splendid rooms, a deluxe spa and a stunning pool overlooking the bay. In the day explore the rich Moorish history of the area or just as easily unwind by the pool. A heavenly seaside oasis. See More
Pousada de Cascais Cascais 126 rooms from £130Suites - Eighteen contemporary and minimalist suites some with sea view or direct access to the spa or the internal courtyardsRestaurant - Two restaurants, Taberna da Praca serves Portuguese cuisine and Maris Stella serves locally caught seafoodArtworks - Art exhibitions and open studios are scattered throughout the PousadaSpa - Magic Spa signature face and body treatments
The Pousada de Cascais - Citadel Historic Hotel and Art District is set within a 16th century fortress in this seaside town. A mini city within itself, this luxurious, beautifully designed hotel comes with chic spa, stunning rooms and six galleries showing the work of resident and visiting artists. See More
Outpost - Casa das Arribas 2705-089 Colares, Estremadura 24 rooms from £134Families - The hotel's self-contained apartments are perfectly for families, offering self-catering facilities and living spaceBeach Life - With the beach a mere 10-minute walk away, this hotel makes a great base for a beach breakHideaway - Sitting on a remote outpost overlooking the sea, this hotel makes a great beach bolt-holeSurfing - Spend a day in Ericeia, a one-time sleepy fishing village turned cool surf town, with some of the best surf breaks in the areaRecommended by - I Escape
This clifftop hotel offers accommodation 45 minutes outside of Lisbon. Apartments feature fully-equipped kitchens with chic, whitewashed interiors, original blue tiling and potted plants, plus stylish soft furnishings. Stay active on the tennis court or unwind by the pool; a homely seaside getaway. See More
Farol Design Hotel Cascais 33 rooms from £139Swimming Pool - Infinity pool overlooking the sea.City Style - Truly hip.Restaurant - Recommended.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Hogging the best spot in Cascais, this 19th century villa, with a sleek, contemporary wing, stands on the Ocean’s edge and offers thirty three rooms and suites and two superb restaurants within the sight and sound of the Atlantic’s impressive waves. Stunning infinity pool too. See More
Penha Longa Sintra 194 rooms from £165Golf - The resort has its own 18 hole golf course.Active Holiday - Two world class championship golf courses.Foodies - Five innovative restaurants.Spa breaks - State of the art spa.
A luxurious and ideal resort for families, in the hills outside Lisbon, with a kid’s club, two golf courses, a spa and an impressive collection of gourmet restaurants. Huge contemporary chic rooms and suites with balconies, all the mod cons, and stunning views towards the mountains. See More
The Oitavos Cascais 142 rooms from £178Romantic Break - This enchanting coastal property oozes romance from every pore, perfect for a relaxing break by the sea.Local exploring - Nestled into Sintra National Park, it's perfect for exploring the surrounding beauty of the area.Sights nearby - History lovers will enjoy visiting Pena National Palace and Sintra National Palace, both seven miles from the hotel.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking through the surrounding national park.Recommended by - Tablet
A stunning, five-star hotel set amidst the rolling dune landscape of Cascais. The elegant and coastal cool suites offer spectacular views over this four-hundred-acre estate. Brimming with all the creature comforts of a top class hotel, it's perfect for a relaxing, romantic break. Bliss. See More
Sintra Marmoris Palace Sintra (Rua Barão de Almeida Santos Nº7) 9 rooms from £182Local exploring - Located besides Sintra's historic centre and with many major sights within a short distanceGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the Chalet and Garden of the Countess of Edla or hike up the Serra SintraSights nearby - Be sure to visit the historic Moors Castle and Sintra National PalaceSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pools
Superbly situated on the border between a national park and the city, Sintra Marmoris Palace is an elegant 19th-century manor house. Offering a range of spacious rooms and suites with some more opulent and traditional than others. Wander around the lush garden and enjoy the fabulous views. See More
Pousada de Obidos Obidos (Paço Real) 17 rooms from £191Local exploring - Located right in the centre of town inside a 700 year old castle. Close by to the train station as wellRomantic Break - A very romantic stay with comfortable rooms and great views of ObidosHistoric - The hotel is situated inside a 14th century castleGreat walks - Book hiking tours at the front deskRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Albatroz Cascais 52 rooms from £191Views - Wonderful sea viewsActive HolidayBeach LifeSights nearby - Sintra for the Pena Palace.Recommended by - I Escape
Tivoli Palacio de Seteas Sintra 30 rooms from £2385* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakFamiliesSights nearby - Quinta da Regaleira, National Palace, Moorish Castle, Pena Palace and Monserrate Palace.
An elegant, late 18th century, neo-classical palace, set amongst lawns and roaming peacocks in the shadow of the Pena Palace in Sintra. A destination immortalised by Byron as a ‘glorious Eden’ in his poem Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage. Pool, tennis courts, and an excellent restaurant. See More
Areias do Seixo Torres Vedras (Póvoa de Penafirme) 14 rooms from £273Families - Each villa sleeps up to 7.Spa breaksGroupsViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
One of Portugal’s most magical hotels lies just 40 minutes north of Lisbon within sight of a glimmering sea. 14 rooms, all different and all enchanting, a handful of family villas and a restorative spa. Wood burning stoves, a touch of Scandi minimalism here, sumptuous Indian style there. See More
Martinhal Cascais Cascais (Quinta da Marinha) 84 rooms from £337Families - Designed with families in mind. A playground, kids club and numerous in-house activities will keep little ones entertained.Total relaxation - With an excellent spa and laid back atmosphere this is a resort for completely chilling out.Sights nearby - Make a trip to UNESCO-listed Sintra with its 19th-century Romantic architecture, castles and palaces.Local markets - Be sure to visit the vibrant Cascais market running on Wednesdays and Saturdays.Recommended by - I Escape
A trendy resort that perfectly combines style and a family friendly attitude. Chic rooms are simple in design with floor to ceiling windows and private balconies. Numerous eateries will provide options for all. A spoiling spa also offers family packages. Endless activities in-house and out. Superb. See More