Search the best hotels in Ljubljana
Slovenia's capital is one of the most charming European cities. It is small enough to explore on foot and the boulevards lined with Baroque buildings offer plenty of tasty rest stops as you pop between cultural events and sights. Our pick of the best places to stay in Ljubljana vary from a chic and lively hostel to B&Bs and smart luxury pads in the very centre of town; there is something for you in our selection whether you're travelling on a shoestring (though much of the accommodation here is very reasonably priced for a European capital) or prefer the finer things in life!
If you are thinking of visiting, know that the best places to stay in Ljubljana are as close to Prešernov Trg as possible. This is the marvellously beautiful and historic square in the centre, between the Old Town and the Central District where you will find many of Ljubljana's main attractions (explore the cobbled streets and marvel at the stunning architecture). In fact many of the best places to stay in Ljubljana tend to be near either the castle on the hill, the main square or by the river that runs through the city.
The large student culture keeps Ljubljana feeling young and lively. Expect street musicians, interesting theatre, streets lined with bustling cafes and restaurants and a buzzing nightlife.
Though still under many a radar, we recommend you put time aside to visit this fascinating little city. Use our guide to the best places to stay in Ljubljana and start to plan your getaway!
The best places to stay in Ljubljana
For a great location
- The Grand Union Executive is one of the best hotels in Ljubljana because it is the most central - almost on Prešernov Square. The Art Nouveau building gives the feeling of old fashioned luxury.
- Next most central is the Best Western Slon. Ideal for those who plan to do a bit of shopping. It has a Finnish spa and the rooftop zone makes it a great choice from which to appreciate the city's lovely vista.
- Situated right in the centre of town, Slamic B&B offers tasteful accommodation at a decent price. An ideal base from which to explore Ljubljana.
On a budget?
Budget travellers or backpackers have some very good options.
- So it may sound creepy - the Hostel Celica was formerly a military prison… But don't let that put you off, it is perfect for people travelling in groups. It has double and triple rooms which are all individually designed and is colourful and lively. Near one of the main universities, it is also a top location for nightlife.
- For lovers of inexpensive comfort and simplicity a good option is the City Hotel. Central for attractions and transport they also offer free bike hire - a great way to explore the city.
- If you want to squeeze the most out of your money as possible, consider the Austria Trend Hotel. As well as having a pool it has its own 'wellness centre'.
Special places to stay in Ljubljana
Small but atmospheric, Ljubljana is an excellent city for a romantic break. What with the beautiful castle, the art galleries, cathedral and cosy restaurants if you're looking for the best places to stay in Ljubljana for romance look no further than these unique properties.
- The Lesar Hotel Angel is amazingly positioned just below the castle. It's a sophisticated bolthole with contemporary rooms complemented by plenty of original period features.
- For something really special try the Antiq Palace Hotel and Spa. With three saunas, three bars and a garden, it is one to consider for lovers of luxury. Stay here to feel like a noble from the city's grandest days.
- Hotel Cubo, winner of the World Luxury Award, provides top-notch contemporary accommodation in a splendid location.
- Located on the riverfront, Vander Hotel is a marvellous city stay. With spacious and stylish contemporary accommodation as well as an excellent restaurant and a rooftop pool, what's not to love?
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you've decided that you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Best time to visit? In the summer months Ljubljana is at its warmest - the average daily temperature rises to 20°C in July.
- Fly into Ljubljana Jože Pu?nik Airport. Easyjet fly direct from London Gatwick and Stansted while Wizz Air go from Luton.
- From the airport you can easily hop on the bus to the city centre.
- For car hire prices we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Best Hotels in Ljubljana
Hostel Celica Ljubljana 29 rooms from £42Value chic - A totally unique stay in this former prison transformed, by artists, for artists and travellers alike.Sights nearby - Visit the Ljubljana Castle that stands proud over the city.Great walks - Take a walk in the peaceful Tivoli Park.Lively - Hip and happening.
Unusual and lively hostel, popular with travellers. Its range of accommodation - double and triple rooms, and dormitories - are ideal for groups of friends. All the rooms were former prison cells, now converted into bright airy rooms with white washed walls and parquet floors. An affordable choice. See More
Slamic B&B Ljubljana 17 rooms from £64Local exploring - A historic B&B located with walking distance of all the major sights including Preseren Square and the Triple Bridge.Great walks - Enjoy a stroll through the pretty Tivoli Park, a breath of fresh air in the city centre.Local markets - The Central Market happens daily with an array of local produce on offer.Sights nearby - Just a short walk from Preseren Square and the Triple Bridge.
City Hotel, Ljubljiana Ljubljana 202 rooms from £69City Style - A trendy hotel located in the heart of Ljubljana, boasting a lovely summer terrace with views of Ljubljana Castle.Sights nearby - Make the most of your central location to visit the hilltop Ljubljana Castle.Great walks - Take a stroll along the Ljubljanica River and admire the The Three Bridges.Local markets - Explore the old market brimming with local produce.
A large modern hotel in a great central location. Simple functional bedrooms with lots of natural light and parquet floors. Enjoy a generous buffet breakfast, from the charming summer terrace. A great choice for the business traveller or those wanting easy access to the main sights in the city. See More
Austria Trend Hotel Ljubljana 214 rooms from £72Business meetings - Conveniently located for business meetings, plus the state of the art facilities provided in the eleven conference rooms.Great walks - Take a stroll along the castle’s elevated grounds and revel in the views of the city.Sights nearby - Visit the lovely St. Nicholas’ Cathedral in the old town.Spa
Spacious, attractive hotel on the edge of the city. Clean, elegant, cosy bedrooms with attractive fabrics in red, yellow or black, comfy armchairs and clever swivel desks. Excellent wellness centre with hammam, sauna and whirlpool. Extensive business facilities too. Good for business or pleasure. See More
Hotel Cubo Ljubljana 26 rooms from £90Luxury - World Luxury Award Winner.City StyleSights nearby - Congress Square, Triple Bridge, and Ljubljana Castle.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Grand Union Executive Ljubljana 173 rooms from £91Foodies - This hotel is famed for it's Grand Union Café where guests enjoy the best teas, coffees and pastries in a historic setting.City Style - A four star Art-Nouveau hotel right off the central Prešern Square and Tromostovje in Ljubljana, with indulgent spa.Great walks - Revel in the peace and quiet of the beautiful Tivoli Park.Sights nearby - Wander up the pretty streets to the Ljubljana Castle.
A centrally placed historic hotel with chic interiors and excellent spa facilities. Rooms are uniform, with gleaming wood furnishings, including desks, armchairs and minibars, some with wonderful castle views. It has the largest hotel conference centre in the city and a charming cafe. See More
Best Western Premier Hotel Slon Ljubljana 170 rooms from £113Total relaxation - Pamper yourself at this luxury hotel with sauna sessions, Thai massages, wonderful cuisine and indulgent cocktails.Great walks - Take a day trip to Lake Bled where there's great alpine walking.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the The Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas.Spa
Vander Urbani Resort Ljubljana 20 rooms from £157Local exploring - Perfectly located in Ljubljana’s historical and cultural centre.Sights nearby - Explore Ljubljana castle and admire the spectacular views of the city.Great walks - Take a stroll through Tivoli Park, landscaped in 1813.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Design Hotels
A chic boutique hotel boasting an enviable location in the heart of the centre. Rooms benefit from high ceilings and sash windows yet the style is modern with minimalistic furniture and soft hues. A fabulous roof terrace offers a yoga studio and plunge pool and there is a superb restaurant. See More
Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa Ljubljana (Gosposka 10) 13 rooms from £148City Style - A stunning 16th century mansion with frescoed walls, high ceilings, lovely sash windows and indulgent suites.Spa breaks - A glorious spa with an extensive treatment list, massage bath and three types of saunas.Sights nearby - Marvel at the architecture in the Ljubljana Old Town.SpaRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
The city’s latest luxury hotel in a serene historic building. Three different types of sauna, three bars and a garden. Spacious elegant rooms and suites with parquet floors, rich wooden furniture and white washed walls. Unique business facilities - you can even borrow an office. Very sophisticated. See More
Vander Hotel Ljubljana 12 rooms from £159Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Sadar + Vuga.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Design Hotels
Lesar Hotel Angel Ljubljana 12 rooms from £174City Style - An elegant hotel with bright airy suites and a central location at the foot of the Ljubljana Castle Hill.Sights nearby - Step out the door and wander up the hill to Ljubljana Castle.Great walks - Take a stroll around the beautiful and tranquil Tivoli Park.Local markets - Join the hussle and bussle at the Central Market.
Sophisticated bolthole with garden in a prime location at the foot of the Castle. Huge loft-like contemporary-chic rooms with lots of natural light, neutral tones, and parquet flooring. An excellent nearby restaurant. The perfect spot to explore the medieval delights of the city. See More