Search the best hotels in Gaucin
The quaint, Andalusian mountain village of Gaucin is set an impressive 626 metres above sea level ensuring that there's no shortage of dramatic views and on a clear day it's possible to see Gibraltar and all the way across to the Rif Mountains of North Africa. Access to this dramatically perched village is via a twisting and turning road up through the mountains providing plenty of majestic views. The drive is certainly worth it and upon arriving in Gaucin, visitors are greeted by charming whitewashed buildings capped with red tile roofs. A wander through the maze of historic winding streets, once a favoured spot for brandy and tobacco smugglers, will take visitors past an assortment of restaurants, shops and cafes, many of which provide incredible views of the mountain range. The hotels do not disappoint either and many of the best places to stay in Gaucin are in keeping with the historic charm of the village and offer superb vistas.
The village only has a population of approximately 2000 people meaning that there's a real community feel to the place, emphasised by the renowned international artists' community. There's also a real variety of events and festivals that take place in the town and these are a great way to immerse into local culture and get a feel for the rich cultural fabric of the area.
What Not To Miss
- One of the focal points of the village, Castillo del Aguila is an historic castle set imposingly on a rocky clifftop which majestically looks over the town and surrounding mountain ranges. It's a bit of a climb to reach the castle, but the view certainly makes it worthwhile.
- The Lanas del Rio mill uses 19th century shuttle looms to create a delightful range of products utilising natural fibres from cashmere to silk. Visitors can learn about the historic processes and traditional machinery and of course purchase items for a truly local souvenir.
- Participate in one of the incredible walks through the mountains. Guided tours will showcase the biodiversity and historical features of the region - of which there are many and are a great way to enjoy the stunning scenery.
- Sample a taste of the local vintage at Cezar Vinedos y Bodega S.L - a local vineyard nestled into the hillside. Wine enthusiasts can learn all about the wine-making process and take a tour of the property as well as enjoy various vintages paired with tapas.
- Or for something a bit different, take a guided horse trip through the mountains - a great experience made all the better for the incredible views.
Our gurus pick of the best places to stay in Gaucin allow visitors to explore the charming village and of course make the most of the panoramic scenery.
The best places to stay in Gaucin
For the views
- Hotel La Fructuosa is a fabulous little hilltop village hotel with an excellent local restaurant. Charming rooms (two of which sleep four) have stone floors, wooden beams, private balconies and attractive furnishings. Wonderful valley views. A real steal and very accommodating for families.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for charming properties perfect for exploring the quaint town.
- Fly to Gibraltar International Airport located 59km (36 miles) from Gaucin with a range of flights across Europe and to the UK.
- There is also a railway station about 8km from Gaucin, with rail links across the region.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the dramatic mountains, we recommend visiting our partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to September provides hot temperatures, but if visitors are looking for slightly cooler weather, a visit in Spring might be more suitable.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Gaucin.
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Andalucía.
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Gaucin
Hotel La Fructuosa Gaucin 5 rooms from £76
Fabulous little hilltop village hotel with an excellent local restaurant. Charming rooms, two sleep four, have stone floors, wooden beams, private balconies and attractive furnishings. Wonderful valley views. A real steal and very accommodating for families.Views - Spectacular views of the Genal Valley and across to Gibraltar and Morocco on a clear dayValue chicSights nearby - Explore the white mountain villages of the Serrania de RondaGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape