- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
San Vicente de la Barquera
Search the best hotels in San Vicente de la Barquera
About San Vicente de la Barquera
San Vicente de la Barquera is situated between two long inlets on the Cantabrian coast, with the Picos de Europa and the Asturias mountains creating a spectacular backdrop. The long inlets and beaches make San Vicente de la Barquera a popular summer destination, but there's a lot more to this ancient medieval port than just sun, sea and sand. Some of the best places to stay in San Vicente de la Barquera are right on this beautiful coast, while some are further inland in the rising foothills.
If you're here for the beaches, the longest stretches of golden sand are to the east. While they look smooth and welcoming there are in fact stretches that get some surf.
Just along the coast, Comillas is worth a jaunt for those interested in the region's culture and architecture. Firstly there's a very impressive Gaudi, one of the architect's earliest designs, the Capricho de Gaudi. The outside is striped, alternating green leaves and sunflowers and there are some fantastic ceilings inside. Comillas also has a truly spectacular neo-Gothic palace and tomb in the Palacio de Sobrellano. So ornate that it almost manages to out-Gothic original Gothic design. Comillas also has a pretty town centre and a fascinating old cemetery.
What Not To Miss
- Be sure to check out the 13th century Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles, a grand Gothic affair with huge Romanesque doorways and a slightly menacing lifelike statue of Antonio del Corro, a 16th century Inquisitor.
- The Playa de Oyambre and the Playa Meron are particularly good spots to enjoy a nice coastal jaunt and soak up the sun for a few hours.
- Or pass by the picturesque Santuario de la Banquera with its lovely gardens.
- Castillo del Rey has a lovely little museum showcasing the area's history, as well as enviable views over the whole town - be sure to bring along your camera!
Don't forget that as with all popular destinations, the best places to stay in San Vicente de la Barquera may be difficult to book during the peak summer months. So get organised and plan well ahead!
For the coast
- Valle d'Arco is a charming villa hotel right on the Cantabrian coast. The 23 rooms are large and colourful, reasonably priced, starting from just £48 per night. One side of the hotel offers views of the sea, the other views of the mountains.
- Slightly further along the coast, on the other side of San Vicente de la Barquera, Posada Caborredondo is an old pousada with rustic chic bedrooms and cosy decor. There are just 14 rooms and a lovely library plus a restaurant specialising in local cuisine.
- The Casona D'Alevia is slightly further inland, closer to the beautiful scenery of the Asturias Mountains. This small nine room hotel is decorated in a rustic style, complementing the stone walls and exposed beams. As well as being a great spot for walkers and outdoors types, this is also a good base for foodies.
- Located in the Valley of Nansa, Casona del Nansa boasts tasteful country style accommodation with floral fabrics and exposed stone walls. Continental breakfasts are served and there's a cosy bar in which to enjoy an evening tipple.
- Set in a lovely former stable, El Jardin de Carrejo provides rustic accommodation with contemporary wood furnishings and natural hues. There's also a restaurant serving local cuisine. A lovely getaway.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- The weather's nicest in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 20°C in August.
- This however is peak tourist season, so for a quieter (but still warm enough to enjoy the beaches) time to visit consider coming in May, September or October.
- You can fly into Santander Airport, located 60km away to the east, before taking the bus along to San Vicente de la Barquera.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in San Vicente de la Barquera
Hotel Tinas de Pechon 36 rooms from £78San Vicente de la Barquera
A chic contemporary hotel located in a charming village near the coast. Individually styled rooms are light and airy with soft hues, floor to ceiling windows and parquet flooring. An elegant restaurant on the terrace serves innovative fusion dishes. A smart base from which to explore the region.Local exploring - Well situated to access attractions across Cantabria and Asturias.Sights nearby - Admire the architecture of Gaudí, Martorell and Llimona in nearby Comillas.Romantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Casona del Nansa 18 rooms from £57Cantabria
A traditional rural property set in the picturesque Valley of Nansa. Country-style rooms with pretty floral fabrics, exposed stone walls and beamed ceilings. Indulgent continental breakfasts. A cosy bar ideal to unwind in with a regional tipple. A great base to explore this lovely part of Spain.Total relaxation - Relax in total tranquility in this pretty corner of rural Spain.Great walks - Gorgeous countryside to be explored in the Saja-Nansa Natural Park.Fishing - Fish for trout and salmon in the River Nansa.Views - Great views from hotel
Valle d'Arco 23 rooms from £48San Vicente de la Barquera (Prezello)
A pleasant hotel on the Cantabrian coast, not far from San Vicente de la Barquera. Large rooms are colourful, with exposed beams and views to the sea or mountains. A very secluded spot close to many outdoor activities. A great choice for country weekend by the sea.Country Escape - Only a few minutes from the beach, in a charming village, with many activities and views to enjoySights nearby - S. Vicente de la Barquera, Comillas, Santillana del Mar, SantanderFishing - Nansa and Deva rivers, famous for its salmon and troutViews - Picos de Europa mountains