Search the best hotels in Cantabria
Verdant and peaceful, Cantabria is a very picturesque northern Spanish region, perfect for outdoorsy and food-focused holidays. It’s also an area rich in history, studded with seaside villages and rural towns boasting heritage architecture, pretty squares and striking churches. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, and our pick of the best places to stay in Cantabria are dotted throughout the region, promising marvellous views of the dramatic Picos de Europa as well as the dazzling Cantabrian Sea. We've discovered great value guesthouses, family friendly agroturismos, converted palaces and five star luxury hotels.
Santander, Cantabria’s capital, sits on the northern side of the Bay of Santander. Boasting a lively food and nightlife scene, as well as some top-notch beaches and Belle Epoque architecture, it’s a wonderful choice for a city break or a popular starting point for a road trips across Cantabria. To the west, San Vicente de la Barquera is a lovely, laid-back destination with its own impressive heritage landmarks — as is Comillas.
Turning east, you’ll find coastal Santoña, which offers some superb hikes as well as scenic surf spots. Big beaches of golden sand abound in Cantabria, often fringed by cliffs with marked trails for hiking or cycling. Inland, you can expect family-run farms producing fine cheeses and meat in the foothills of the Picos de Europa. Some of these will wend their way to the tables at the best places to stay in Cantabria where you can savour delectable dishes with top-notch Spanish wine.
The Best Places to Stay in Cantabria
FOR a City Stay
- Jardin Secreto is a cosy six-bedroom guesthouse hidden with the luxury of a small garden. In Santander's city centre, it's just a five minute stroll from the Museo de Arte Moderno y Contemporáneo, and has charming interiors with exposed brick walls or wooden beams. A partnership with the Club Metropolitan Aqua-Floranes allows guests to use the spa at reduced rates. Lovely and great value.
- Suite Home Sardinero has 10 modern rooms in the north-eastern part of Santander. Expect light, airy spaces decorated in white and soft cream tones, with minimalist furnishings and indulgent bathrooms. An attractive base for keen explorers of all ages, who can head out on foot after big breakfasts.
- Palacio de Arce is a historic hotel with characterful rooms featuring beautiful beamed ceilings and exposed stone-framed windows. The big draw, however, is the gastronomic restaurant, which specialises in delicious regional dishes using local, seasonal produce, including freshly caught fish, mouth-watering Iberico ham and more.
- Camino Real has 25 individually decorated rustic rooms with bold artwork and brightly painted walls. There's a gorgeous garden with a sun-drenched terrace and a superb restaurant. Foodies will be thrilled to sample and savour a regularly changing menu of sublime local cuisine, paired with Spanish wines from the expansive cellar.
- San Roman de Escalante is a carefully converted 17th-century mansion. Traditional guestrooms boast high beamed ceilings, period furnishings and deep blue or green tones. There's a swimming pool, generous terrace and exemplary regional restaurant. The event catering is superb, making this a top choice for weddings or brithday celebrations, complete with Cantabrian cuisine.
For a Rural Retreat
- Casona del Nansa, close to the Saja-Nansa Natural Park, has a classic country feel, with stone walls, floral textiles and an atmospheric bar. Hop on the hotel's bicycles or explore the area on foot. One for adventurous nature lovers eager to get off the beaten track in the Valley of Nansa.
- La Casona Azul is an idyllic nine-bedroom house in the tranquil Corvera countryside. Close to the Cabárceno Nature Reserve and with its own wisteria-filled gardens, this is a lovely spot for outdoorsy types as well as for romantic couples.
- Casona de Quintana has just seven guestrooms with exposed stone walls, wooden beams and rustic wooden furnishings. Nestled in a lush valley, it's close to the Natural Park of Assos and perfect for cyclists and hikers. Expect marvellous views from the terrace and restaurant.
- Hotel del Oso is a classic country house hotel, with fifty traditional rooms featuring parquet flooring, antique pieces and private balconies overlooking the mountains. The gardens boast a swimming pool and tennis court, whilst the restaurant specialises in Cantabrian cuisine. Full of old-fashioned charm.
- Posada Caborredondo has 14 rustic bedrooms with exposed wooden beams and floral fabrics. Gather in the library or cosy up by the fireplace after days out in the hills or at the beach. A great value rural escape.
FOR Romantic Charm
- Hotel Tinas de Péchon is a chic little boutique bolthole in Péchon, whose elegant rooms and suites are clad in soft hues, with parquet flooring and floor-to-ceiling windows promising lovely views and lots of light. There are bicycles to borrow and the terrace restaurant specialises in superb regional cuisine. Very romantic.
- Posada la Panaderia is a delightful little hideaway close to the banks of the River Pas. Charming whitewashed guestrooms with exposed wooden beams, carved antique furnishings and sink-into beds overlook verdant surroundings. A lovely choice for tranquil couples.
- Palacio de Sonanes is a gorgeous historic manor house with 28 opulent rooms and suites — some with four poster beds — in a lovely rural setting. Romantic couples will adore the sense of calm, the leafy gardens, swimming pool and well-regarded restaurant.
FOR FAMILIES OR GROUPS
- Valle d'Arco is a charming hotel with 21 spacious, colourful rooms and suites and splendid views towards the Picos de Europa mountains in one direction, and the sparkling Cantabrian Sea in the other. Set on a hillside in the little town of Prellezo, just 3km from San Vicente, it's a relaxed base for couples, friends and families.
- Hotel Don Pablo offers family rooms as well as doubles and and triples, perfect for group trips. On the edge of Pechón and within walking distance of the beach, it's an idyllic choice for outdoorsy travellers, with a very friendly feel. Also appealingly affordable.
- El Jardin de Carrejo, formerly a stable, now houses 12 rooms and suites, two of which are especially well-suited to families. Close to the beach, the mountains and two national parks, this is a great pick for outdoorsy types looking for an affordable retreat with green gardens and lots of character.
- La Casona de San Pantaleón de Aras is a family favourite, with spacious rooms offering flexible options for little ones, a children's games room and onsite babysitting. The leafy gardens are ideal for exploring with the youngsters, and there are opportunities to hike, cycle and fish with friends or older children.
For a Beach Break
- Posada las Garzas is a charming 11-bedroom B&B with whitewashed interiors and lots of exposed wood. Close to Playa de Berria, it's a lovely spot for relaxed holidaymakers as well as outdoorsy types looking to swim, surf, hike and mountain bike. Families are very welcome.
- Le Petit Boutique Hotel, just 300 metres from Sardinero Beach in Santander, has seven elegant guestrooms, all decorated in natural tones. Breakfasts of fruit and warm pastries are served each morning. A well-priced contemporary choice for a beach break as a couple or with friends and family.
- Hotel Palacio de la Pena, close to Ajo, is a magnificent 16th-century palace with lavish rooms and suites featuring carved and gilded bedsteads, glittering chandeliers and marble bathrooms. Curl up alongside the roaring fire and feast on regional delights after days out at the nearby Playa de Cuberris. Very luxurious.
- Hotel Casa del Marques is a fabulous five-star hotel housed in a 15th-century building with an impressive 700-year-old staircase, carved from a single tree. The fifteen rooms have a Gothic feel, with carved four-posters, gilded mirrors, chandeliers and velvet armchairs. Kick back in the library or enjoy couples' massages. An indulgent choice for history buffs.
- Palacio de Trasvilla's six romantic guest rooms are bedecked with Flemish tapestries and Renaissance art. The building itself dates back to the 16th Century, and has been carefully restored to retain its unique atmosphere. A hot tub, pool and magical views complete the experience.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Santander-Seve Ballesteros Airport and travel onwards by bus or taxi from there. Alternatively, journey by overnight ferry to Santander from various ports in the UK, and continue to your destination in Cantabria by road. Many hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- Cantabria is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm and sunny summers, with temperatures averaging at around 20°C - 24°C between June and August. Do be aware that this is peak holiday season for travellers from Spain & further afield. For fewer crowds and great hotel deals, travel in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Santander.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Basque Country.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Cantabria
Best Hotels in Cantabria
Valle d'Arco San Vicente de la Barquera (Prellezo) 23 rooms from £48Country Escape - Only a few minutes from the beach, in a charming village, with many activities and views to enjoySights nearby - S. Vicente de la Barquera, Comillas, Santillana del Mar, SantanderFishing - Nansa and Deva rivers, famous for its salmon and troutViews - Picos de Europa mountainsRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Palacio de Arce Santander, Cantabria 19 rooms from £55Local exploring - Ideally positioned to explore the city of Santander as well as the surrounding nature parks and coastal beaches.Sights nearby - Visit the opulent Palacio de la Magdalena in Santander.Great walks - Take long walks through the scenic Cabarceno Park.Full of character
A declared Asset of Cultural Interest, palace and hotel in Puente Arce. Rooms and suites are stylish and traditional with plenty of wood, simple furniture and luxurious bathrooms. A historic hotel with superb restaurant, set in beautiful gardens and offering easy access to Cantabria's attractions. See More
Posada Caborredondo Cantabria 14 rooms from £48Country EscapeSights nearby - Visit the town Santillana del Mar and the Altamira Caves.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.
Camino Real Cantabria 25 rooms from £52Romantic Break - Gorgeous rooms with wooden beams and wrought iron beds, rural location for forest walks and riding before Spanish supperGreat walks - With Red Cantabria Rural toursKayaking - Navigating the Deva RiverLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Casona del Nansa Cantabria 18 rooms from £56Total relaxation - Relax in total tranquility in this pretty corner of rural Spain.Great walks - Gorgeous countryside to be explored in the Saja-Nansa Natural Park.Fishing - Fish for trout and salmon in the River Nansa.Romantic - Good for couples.
A traditional rural property set in the picturesque Valley of Nansa. Country-style rooms with pretty floral fabrics, exposed stone walls and beamed ceilings. Indulgent continental breakfasts. A cosy bar ideal to unwind in with a regional tipple. A great base to explore this lovely part of Spain. See More
Jardin Secreto Santander 6 rooms from £56Value chic - Well priced, homely option in the heart of townLocal exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring on footSpa - Guests enjoy special rates at the Club Metropolitan Aqua-Floranes Spa.Local markets - Pick your way through the bustling street markets of Satander.
A cheerful guesthouse located in the centre of Santander. Its six comfortable rooms are all individually furnished, some featuring exposed brickwork and others wood panelling. Just a short walk from Santander's fine art gallery it is perfectly located for exploring the city. A superb value option. See More
Posada las Garzas Santona (Berria) 11 rooms from £59Back to Nature - The Nature Reserve is host to marshes,the Cantabrian holm oak grove, the coastal cliffs, the dunes and the beaches.TraditionalSailing - Can be booked nearby.Kayaking - Available locally.
Posada la Panaderia Villabáñez, Cantabria 7 rooms from £61Country Escape - A tranquil spot surrounded by beautiful countryside.Fishing - Fish for salmon and trout on the River Pas that flows through the garden.Great walks - Take long walks in the nearby Cabárceno Nature Park.Sights nearby - Visit the Altamira , El Soplao and El Castillo caves.
Suite Home Sardinero Santander 10 rooms from £62Local exploring - Located in the heart of the city and within walking distance of many main attractions.ContemporaryGreat walks - Explore the Magdalena Peninsula with many parks, rocky shorelines and beaches.Sights nearby - Visit the opulent Palacio de la Magdalena.
Hotel Del Oso Cantabria 50 rooms from £62Country Escape - Gorgeous walks, plenty of space and scenic countryside.Great walks - Excellent walking country. the hotel will provide detailed maps of surrounding trails.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Santo Toribio de Liébana Monastery.Tennis - Play a game on the hotel's court.
An impressive country house boasting stunning mountain views. Traditionally styled rooms feature parquet flooring, antique furniture and private balconies. Sample exemplary Cantabrian cuisine in the restaurant. Plenty of outdoor pursuits within the grounds and surrounding hills. Rural bliss. See More
Hotel Tinas de Pechon San Vicente de la Barquera 36 rooms from £78Local exploring - Well situated to access attractions across Cantabria and Asturias.Sights nearby - Admire the architecture of Gaudí, Martorell and Llimona in nearby Comillas.Romantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Good for walkers.
A chic contemporary hotel located in a charming village near the coast. Individually styled rooms are light and airy with soft hues, floor to ceiling windows and parquet flooring. An elegant restaurant on the terrace serves innovative fusion dishes. A smart base from which to explore the region. See More
Le Petit Boutique Hotel Santander (10 Bajo) 7 rooms from £69Local exploring - Santander Cathedral is less than a mile away and there are a number of other sights within a short distanceActive Holiday - Mataleñas Golf Club is nearby and Sardinero beach has plenty of watersports on offerSights nearby - Explore what Santander has to offerSailing - Sailing available nearbyRecommended by - Michelin Travel
This small boutique hotel is located just two minutes away from Sardinero Beach. It features chic, natural palette rooms which include free wifi and an LED TV. A breakfast buffet is served each morning, perfect for setting you up for a day on the beach or for exploring Santander and its sights. See More
Hotel Don Pablo San Vicente de la Barquera (Pechón) 14 rooms from £69Families - With suites and family rooms available, as well as cots upon request, this is definitely a family-friendly optionBeach Life - Within walking distance from the breathtaking Cantabria coastline, a great base for a beach holidayLocal exploring - The fantastic location is perfect for local exploring of the spectacular Cantabria landscapeGreat walks - Take a walk along the coast or inland to the spectacular forests and caves
This traditional Spanish guesthouse draws on the best of Cantabria's style with spectacular wooden floors and ceilings, a refreshing terrace and contemporary dining area and bar. All rooms offer a spacious bathroom and plenty of natural light. A perfect oasis for a beach holiday. See More
La Casona de San Pantaleón de Aras Cantabria 7 rooms from £69Fishing - Guests are invited to fish in the local riverFour poster beds - For romantics.SpaTraditional
A charming 17th century house, steeped in Castilian history. All seven, distinctly designed en suite rooms offer unique views of the Cantabria countryside, with wooden floors and stone framed windows. Guests can sit by stone fires, relax in the gardens, or stroll by the river; ideal for relaxation. See More
La Casona Azul Cantabria 9 rooms from £69Active Holiday - Local hiking and cycling routes plus Carbáceno Nature Reserve is within a short driveCountry Escape - Situated in the peaceful countryside of CorveraGreat walks - The staff can provide information regarding local hiking routesSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Michelin Travel, Great Small Hotels
This quaint country house situated in the tranquil Corvera countryside has elegant rooms and a beautiful garden, the perfect location to have your breakfast each morning. Cabárceno Nature Reserve is only a short drive away and there are plenty of local hikes and cycling routes to explore. See More
Palacio de Sonanes Villacarriedo, Cantabria 28 rooms from £69Sights nearby - Caves of Altamira.Four poster beds - For romantics.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.
A beautiful golden palace set in a valley and surrounded by nature parks and mountains. Traditional elegant rooms and suites have four poster beds, wooden floors, high ceilings and lots of space. Excellent restaurant, gardens and pool. Great for local exploring, good value too. See More
San Roman de Escalante Escalante Cantabria 16 rooms from £86Weddings - Featuring a Wedding Hall and three private dining areas, plus a stunning setting, this is the ideal spot for a wedding.Local exploring - Boasting a secluded rural spot yet the local sights and beaches are within easy reach.Sights nearby - Visit the medieval Santillana del Mar, where you can see the replica of the Altamira Caves.Romantic - Good for couples.
A 17th century mansion, now four star hotel, boasting a secluded spot in rural Cantabria. Elegant rooms are traditional and spacious with high beamed ceilings, dark antique furniture and rich hues. An atmospheric restaurant serves up exemplary regional cuisine. A quintessentially Spanish stay. See More
Hotel Palacio Torre De Ruesga Cantabria 12 rooms from £82Back to Nature - In Cantabria Alto Ason, near the Natural Park Collados del AsonSpa breaks - Modern spa facilities, hot tub and a poolSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRemote - Off the beaten track.
Fully renovated 17th century palace that lets you sleep, bathe and dine like royalty. The decor is in keeping with tradition: stone walls, antique furniture and frescoes, but with exquisite modern comforts, including a spa, Jacuzzi, gym, meeting room, free wifi and whirlpool. See More
El Jardin de Carrejo Cantabria 12 rooms from £84Country Escape - Set in the beautiful Cantabrian countryside, this rural house opens doors to guests who want a serene environment.Families - Two large and spacious suites have been constructed in the new building and are ideal for families.Back to Nature - Surrounded by mountains, two national parks and close to the beaches of Comillas as well.Fishing - Bring a packed lunch, provided by the hotel, and head off for a days fishing.Recommended by - Sawdays, Great Small Hotels
A former stable converted into a stylish and comfortable hotel, nestled in the hills of Cantabria. Rustic-style interiors with stone floors, and fireplaces combined with contemporary wood furnishings, neutral colours and framed photographs. A chic and charming rural retreat with lovely grounds. See More
Casona de Quintana Quintana de Soba, Cantabria 7 rooms from £115Views - Great views from hotelRestaurant - Traditional regional cuisineTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Palacio de Trasvilla Escobedo, Cantabria 6 rooms from £104Back to Nature - Surrounded by forests, just off the village of Escobedo, hawks, eagles, foxes and wild boars can be spotted in this region.Country Escape - A half an hour drive away from Santander, this place offers comfortable accommodation in a secluded rural setting.Hideaway - A romantic and elegant palace ideal for a serene escape.Great walks - Head down to the nearby Cabarceno nature park, a stunning spot for a morning walk.
A chic and comfortable 16th century mansion, set in stunning countryside. Traditional decor with exposed stone walls, antique wooden furniture, Flemish tapestries and Renaissance art. The outdoor pool, garden and Jacuzzi offer fantastic views. Meals can be arranged on request. See More
Hotel Casa del Marques Cantabria 15 rooms from £110Romantic Break - Converted 15th century building is full of atmosphere, elegant bedrooms and couples massages availableSights nearby - Santander is 30km from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Hotel Palacio de la Pena Cantabria 12 rooms from £289Weddings - The property is well equipped to host large groups for parties and eventsBeach Life - The picturesque Playa de Cuberris is just a short walk from the hotelSights nearby - Explore the expansive Soplao Cave considered unique for the quality and quantity of geological formations found withinSurfing - Try your hand at surfing at one of the various clubs to be found along the beach
A 16th century palace turned small luxury hotel set a short distance from the area's dramatic coastline. Atmospheric rooms are filled with antiques and the old building's fireplaces and exposed beams lend real character. The restaurant serves exceptional authentic regional dishes. A charming stay. See More