Search the best hotels in Tarifa
The final stop before Morocco, Tarifa sits on the southernmost tip of Spain. A laid-back Andalucían town with whitewashed buildings and a distinct North African influence, it’s a brilliant base for history buffs as well as water sports enthusiasts of all ages. Accommodation options cater to a whole host of tastes and budgets; the best places to stay in Tarifa include sun-drenched beach hotels as well as charming heritage boltholes.
With the African coast just 14kms away, Tarifa has long been a fascinating cultural melting pot. Admire the Puerta de Jerez, part of the medieval walls which once fortified the town, and pop into the the well-maintained Castle of Guzmán el Bueno. The Roman-era ruins of the village of Baelo Claudia are striking, as is the Gothic Church of San Mateo if you’re interested in heritage landmarks. Strolling through town, you’ll also spot restored residences with white-painted façades, pretty arches and courtyards, and interiors brimming with North African textiles.
Tarifa’s other big draw is the breeze. Dubbed ‘the wind capital of Europe’, it’s a favourite amongst kite surfers and wind surfers. Whether you’re a keen beginner or a seasoned pro, you’ll find vast, unspoilt beaches from which to hire boards and get out on the water. There are multiple highly regarded kite surfing schools to choose from, and a great sense of camaraderie at the bars in town after days of skimming across the sea. Topped off with superb fusion food, you’ll be all set for an idyllic evening! Return to one of the best places to stay in Tarifa to recharge before your next adventure.
The Best Places to Stay in Tarifa
- Hospederia Diez Y Seis is a romantic boutique bolthole for couples. Chic, contemporary rooms are clad in earthy tones and minimalist white, with indulgent bathrooms and modern artworks. Savour hearty breakfasts and stroll to Tarifa's top tapas bars.
- Silos19 Suites fuses old and new in an 18th-century building in Tarifa's old town. Think soft hues, exposed stone, simple modern furniture and lovely bathrooms. The restaurant serves delicious regional fare with a contemporary twist. Great for couples looking for a small, intimate base.
- The Riad is a gorgeous boutique pad in a 17th-century property, once home to the city's Comendador. Rooms are cosy and characterful, with warm textiles and soft lighting. Guests are invited to gather around the fountain in the courtyard or to kick back on the rooftop, with striking views over town. The massages are a highlight!
For Families or Groups
- La Sacristia has fresh, whitewashed rooms with colourful headboards set around a charming courtyard. A beautiful little hotel which also has apartments dotted around the city, perfect for families or groups of friends.
- Dar Cilla is a collection of self-catering apartments surrounding a single courtyard. Each has its own entrance, space for 2-4 people and access to the roof terrace. The characterful North African decor is very cool. One for friends and families.
- Misiana is an affordable base with airy rooms clad in soothing cream and grey tones. Life centres around the bustling bar and restaurant — ideal for kicking off a night out, or debriefing on the day's kite surfing with friends old and new. Families will appreciate the twin bedrooms and friendly feel.
For a Beach Break
- Beach Hotel Arte Vida is a lively, affordable base for a seaside holiday. There's a buzzy beachfront bar, simple rooms and direct access to kite and wind surfing opportunities. A seaside favourite for groups of friends or sociable travellers.
- Hotel Hurricane sits within lush, beachside gardens. The hotel's Moorish architecture is charming, with pretty arches and balconies revealing lovely rooms. Popular with kite surfers, who can relax in the pool or sauna after days out on the water. The food is fabulous.
- Hotel Punta Sur is a family-friendly spot with spacious and elegant suites sleeping up to six guests. A luxurious choice, complete with palm-fringed swimming pool, tennis court and excellent eatery. The beach is just across the road, and activities abound.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Gibraltar International Airport, 45 minutes' drive from Tarifa, or to Jerez Airport, 1.5 hours away. Catch a bus or taxi, or speak to your hotel to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- Andalucía is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Alternatively, consider the ferry to or from Tangier, which takes just 35 minutes.
- Tarifa is cooled by the ocean breezes, so can feel less hot than its coastal neighbours. Visit between May and September for temperatures ranging from 22°C - 28°C, but be aware that this is also peak season. For fewer crowds and great hotel deals, travel in late April or October.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Zahora.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Andalucía.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tarifa
Best Hotels in Tarifa
Beach Hotel Arte Vida Tarifa 11 rooms from £74Watersports - Tarifa beach is the best for kitesurfing in Europe.Lively - The hotel is Tarifa's hot spot for surfers.Active Holiday - The hotel has its own surf centre.Sights nearby - Roman Ruins of Baelio Claudia, Tangiers only 40 mins away.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Aristoy Tarifa 16 rooms from £78Local exploring - Located within walking distance to the beach and Tarifa's main attractions.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolBoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.
A contemporary hotel in the heart of the old town and just a short stroll from Tarifa's famed beach. Smart rooms are minimalist in style with polished wooden floors, white washed walls and modern artwork. The restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine and there's a rooftop plunge pool too. See More
Dar Cilla Tarifa 8 rooms from £78WindsurfingShort breakSea Views - From some rooms.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays, CN Traveller
Misiana Tarifa 15 rooms from £78Beach LifeValue chicViews - Great views from hotelActive HolidayRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Hurricane Tarifa 33 rooms from £86Value chic - Moorish-style hotel right on the beach in Tarifa, with an excellent restaurant serving homemade pastas and a small pool.Kayaking - Sea kayaks are available at the fitness center, a great way to explore the coast from another perspective.Surfing - The beach in front of the hotel is a renowned surfing spot, complete with surf school.Tennis - Guests can use the tennis court nearby in the sister hotel Punta Sur.
La Sacristia Tarifa 10 rooms from £96Watersports - Tarifa is famous for its kite surfing.ElegantBeach nearbyTownRecommended by - I Escape
A stylish and elegant hotel just outside the old town. Luxurious, but simple rooms and suites - and apartments dotted around the old town in case you're looking for flexibility. A divine courtyard to have breakfasts in. A great spot to relax in after a hard day kite surfing. See More
The Riad Tarifa 9 rooms from £98Local exploring - The property is within walking distance of the town's boutiques and restaurants, the beach is nearby as is Morocco!Sights nearby - Stroll down to the picturesque San Mateo Church.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming boutique hotel set in a historic townhouse. Chic rooms have Moorish inspiration with traditional textiles, dark wood furniture, tiled patterned floors and exposed stone walls. Delicious regional breakfasts are served and the town's famous tapas bars are just a stroll away. See More
Silos19 Suites Tarifa (Cádiz) 5 rooms from £127Local exploring - Well located in the heart of the town with easy access to the sights and beach.Sights nearby - Discover the town's history at the Castle of Tarifa.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A boutique hotel in the heart of Tarifa. Four chic suites perfectly mix contemporary comforts with traditional charm. Think soft hues, exposed stone, simple modern furniture and indulgent bathrooms. In the restaurant, regional dishes have had been given a modern spin to great effect. See More
Hotel Punta Sur Tarifa 34 rooms from £112Restaurant - In the evenings the garden becomes an atmospheric, candlelit restaurant with tables dottted amongst the palm treesTennis - Play a game on the on-site outdoor court. Racquets can be borrowed from receptionSwimming Pool - Huge outdoor pool feature a large shallow end that is ideal for childrenViews - Great views from hotel
Hospederia Diez y Seis Tarifa (Andalusia) 5 rooms from £174Local exploring - Ideally located to easily access Tarifa's main attractions and the beach.Sights nearby - Discover the imposing Castle of Tarifa.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRomantic - Good for couples.
A chic contemporary hotel located in the heart of the Old Town. Individually styled rooms have their own personality from bright white on white to more natural tones. All feature indulgent bathrooms and modern artworks. Hearty breakfasts are served and Tarifa's famed tapas bars are a walk away. See More