Search the best hotels in Tarifa
On the very tip of Spain, Tarifa is Andalusia's last spot before Morocco. And the influences from across the windswept and beautiful coastline and the Strait of Gibraltar are obvious everywhere. From the Moroccan fusion food to the architecture, to the wind itself. Indeed many of the best places to stay in Tarifa have a very North African feel too.
On a clear day you can see all the way to Africa, only 14kms away. Some of the best views can be appreciated on the Camino de la isle de las Palomas, a road leading to the island which divides the Med. and the Atlantic.
But one of the best things about this whitewashed, laid back Andalusian town is that it's been largely overlooked by the mass tourism inflicted on the nearby Costa del Sol. And much of the adjacent coastline, and the pristine beaches along it, is still protected. The largely unspoiled beaches and the winds whipping across the strait are a huge draw for windsurfers and kitesurfers. And these international visitors lend the town a laid back vibe as different as possible from the glitz of the Costa del Sol.
What not to miss:
Start off in the narrow streets of the old town and work outwards via the Puerta de Jerez, the main entrance to the old town, in a surviving section of Tarifa's medieval wall.
The wonderfully maintained medieval tower, Castle El Guzman el Bueno is a must see.
- Church lovers should stop by the Gothic Church of San Mateo.
- Absorb some antiquated culture at the beautiful Roman ruins of Baelo Claudia Bolonia.
- This is 'The wind capital of Europe' and it's good for both pros and beginners - there are six schools to choose from - plus there's a good apres surf vibe.
With the best places to stay in Tarifa divided between the historic centre and beachside spots, visitors can choose between the town's charming Andalusian streets or the relaxed atmosphere on the shore.
The best places to stay in Tarifa
For Tarifa Old Town
- If you want to stay within the old town, one of the best places to stay in Tarifa is Dar Cilla. These self catering apartments grouped around a single courtyard are also perfect for families or groups. They all have their own entrances, and access to the roof terrace. And they're all decorated in individualised North African decor.
- If you're looking for somewhere fresh and funky, design hotel, Hotel El Escondite Del Viento, should fit the bill. Tucked away in a corner of the old town, the owners have made this 200 year old building into a wonderful fusion of steel, wood and glass.
- Unlocking Tarifa's historic old town on budget is easily done at the fashionable Misiana. When you're not exploring the town or on the beach, relax overlooking the rooftops on the hotel's stylish terrace.
For Water Sports
- If you're looking for reasonably priced elegance, book La Sacristia. The rooms are simple, but luxurious, and the courtyard is an excellent place to breakfast and relax. It's also considered one of the best places to stay in Tarifa for kitesurfers.
- If you want to be right on the beach our recommendation is the colonial style Hotel Hurricane. On a clear day you can see Africa from the pool. The rooms are simple with the focus on access to sporting activities like sailing, riding, golf and surfing..
For the beach
- If you're keen to just relax by the beach, Beach Hotel Arte Vida is a great spot to do so. With a lively beachfront bar and stylish rooms, it's perfect for soaking up the seaside vibes.
For an apartment or villa
- If your looking for somewhere all to yourself, we recommend visiting our online parter: Booking.com for a selection of coastal apartments and villas.
- Whilst Tarifa itself has no aiport, the nearest well connected airports are Gilbraltar (28km) and Malaga (126km).
- The Tangier-Tarifa ferry crossing is a popular route between Morocco and Spain, taking only 35 minutes.
- Tarifa's temperature is regulated by the wind coming off the sea. The best time to go is from June to September when temperatures sit consistently in the early 20s.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Tarifa.
- Call or email one of our gurus for advice.
- To widen the net, check out our recommendations throughout the Costa de la Luz and the Costa del Sol.
Monthly Weather in Tarifa
Best Hotels in Tarifa
Misiana Tarifa 15 rooms from £56Beach LifeValue chicViews - Great views from hotelActive HolidayRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Punta Sur Tarifa 34 rooms from £61Swimming Pool - Huge outdoor pool feature a large shallow end that is ideal for childrenViews - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
The Riad Tarifa 9 rooms from £71Local exploring - The property is within walking distance of the town's boutiques and restaurants, the beach is nearby as is Morocco!Sights nearby - Stroll down to the picturesque San Mateo Church.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming boutique hotel set in a historic townhouse. Chic rooms have Moorish inspiration with traditional textiles, dark wood furniture, tiled patterned floors and exposed stone walls. Delicious regional breakfasts are served and the town's famous tapas bars are just a stroll away. See More
La Sacristia Tarifa 10 rooms from £65Watersports - Tarifa is famous for its kite surfing.ElegantBeach nearbyTownRecommended by - I Escape
A stylish and elegant hotel just outside the old town. Luxurious, but simple rooms and suites - and apartments dotted around the old town in case you're looking for flexibility. A divine courtyard to have breakfasts in. A great spot to relax in after a hard day kite surfing. See More
Hotel Hurricane Tarifa 33 rooms from £67Value chic - Moorish-style hotel right on the beach in Tarifa, with an excellent restaurant serving homemade pastas and a small pool.Kayaking - Sea kayaks are available at the fitness center, a great way to explore the coast from another perspective.Surfing - The beach in front of the hotel is a renowned surfing spot, complete with surf school.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Hotel Aristoy Tarifa 16 rooms from £79Local exploring - Located within walking distance to the beach and Tarifa's main attractions.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolBoutique
A contemporary hotel in the heart of the old town and just a short stroll from Tarifa's famed beach. Smart rooms are minimalist in style with polished wooden floors, white washed walls and modern artwork. The restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine and there's a rooftop plunge pool too. See More
Beach Hotel Arte Vida Tarifa 11 rooms from £74Watersports - Tarifa beach is the best for kitesurfing in Europe.Lively - The hotel is Tarifa's hot spot for surfers.Active Holiday - The hotel has its own surf centre.Sights nearby - Roman Ruins of Baelio Claudia, Tangiers only 40 mins away.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Dar Cilla Tarifa 8 rooms from £78WindsurfingFull of characterViews - Great views from hotelBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays, CN Traveller
Hotel El Escondite Del Viento Tarifa 8 rooms from £78Value chic - A stylish hotel in the heart of Tarifa's old quarter, under ten minutes from the beach with great views and artistic interiors.Sights nearby - Explore the Castle of Guzmán el Bueno and San Mateo Church.Great walks - Wander around the winding lanes of Tarifa's old quarter.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape
Funky design hotel with colourful rooms in the Old Town of hip and happening Tarifa. Light rooms have large windows, high ceilings and modern bathrooms. The best rooms have terraces. The perfect amalgamation of old and new. Ideally situated for exploring the town or hitting the beach. See More
Hospederia Diez y Seis Tarifa (Andalusia) 5 rooms from £105Local exploring - Ideally located to easily access Tarifa's main attractions and the beach.Sights nearby - Discover the imposing Castle of Tarifa.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRomantic - Good for couples.
A chic contemporary hotel located in the heart of the Old Town. Individually styled rooms have their own personality from bright white on white to more natural tones. All feature indulgent bathrooms and modern artworks. Hearty breakfasts are served and Tarifa's famed tapas bars are a walk away. See More
Silos19 Suites Tarifa (Cádiz) 5 rooms from £127Local exploring - Well located in the heart of the town with easy access to the sights and beach.Sights nearby - Discover the town's history at the Castle of Tarifa.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A boutique hotel in the heart of Tarifa. Four chic suites perfectly mix contemporary comforts with traditional charm. Think soft hues, exposed stone, simple modern furniture and indulgent bathrooms. In the restaurant, regional dishes have had been given a modern spin to great effect. See More