Love The Hotel Guru ! Jackie Maillard.
Search the best hotels in Pontresina
A picturesque mountain resort and spa town, Pontresina lies at the foot of the Bernina Massif. The perfect place for a skiing holiday during the winter or a hiking holiday in the summer, it lies in a sunny and sheltered location, amidst an otherworldy landscape of glaciers, high snowcapped peaks and lush forested valleys. The offering of accommodation is broad; our collection of the best places to stay in Pontresina include chic contemporary hotels and charming rustic boutiques.
Pontresina is remarkably old. While the first hotels were built in the 19th century, many old Engadine houses remain from the 17th and 18th centuries, with their beautiful decorated facades. Visitors tend to describe the village as fairytale-like and it is easy to see why: with its stylish Belle Epoque hotels standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the Engadine buildings, all against a backdrop of high snowy peaks and lakes that mirror the sky.
Activities like ice-climbing, ski touring, snowshoeing, curling and cross-country skiing are popular pastimes during the winter season, the imposing peaks and glaciers being ideally suited to such ventures. As for families, they can enjoy the wide open San Spiert ski area, an area of slopes varying in size and difficulty, while flying down a toboggan run is also a must. The Lagalb glacier also happens to have the longest glacier descent in Switzerland, so experienced hikers should consider giving it a go!
Boasting over 580km of hiking trails, it is the perfect place for a summer stay. With some of the highest peaks of the eastern Alps, the Piz Palu and the Piz Bernina are well worth giving a shot, while the romantic wilderness of the Roseg Valley is wonderful to trek, particularly in the summer when the meadows come alive with wildflower. Experienced hikers should consider attempting the trek up the Diavolezza mountaintop, from where you can gain breathtaking panoramic views of the glacier.
What not to miss
- Hop aboard the Bernina Mountain Railway, a fun afternoon excursion that takes you past the most beautiful scenery in the region.
- Hike up to the top of the Diavolezza mountaintop and drink in the panoramic views.
- Go for a spot of cross country skiing.
- For a spot of romance, book a horse-drawn sleigh ride through the Roseg Valley.
- Check out the Lagalb glacier, baring the longest glacier descent in Switzerland.
Enchantingly beautiful, Pontresina makes for the quintessential ski holiday destination but is also perfect for a hiking holiday. Browse through our pick of the best places to stay in Pontresina to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Pontresina
Value for money
- Berghaus Diavolezza: a gorgeous chalet overlooking the Bernina Massif, offering simple rooms adorned with wooden furniture, a hot tub and a private terrace. The restaurant has a world-class buffet!
- Hotel Albris: a classically Alpine-esque hotel high amidst pine-bearded mountains, offering rustic but contemporary rooms, a pampering spa, an excellent restaurant and their very own bakery! Great for couples.
- Gasthaus & Hotel Berninahaus: a charming Alpine lodge in a picturesque setting, offering simple pine-clad rooms and hearty regional fare served up in the gourmet restaurant.
- Hotel Steinbock: offering rustic-chic rooms with exposed wooden beams and clean contemporary bathrooms, it has access to some of Europe's best slopes, the restaurant is superb and the piano bar radiates charm. A lovely stay.
- Hotel Palu: with a glorious spa, modern rooms adorned with scandi-style furniture and an excellent grill restaurant, it makes for a fantastic stay. Great for families.
- Chesa Mulin: a contemporary 3* hotel offering simple airy rooms complete with lush and spacious bathrooms, hearty breakfasts and enchanting views. Utterly divine.
- Hotel Allegra: a charming and popular hotel offering smart and modern guestrooms with gorgeous views. Guests have full use of the Bellavita Spa next door. The perfect place for families to unwind after a long day on the slopes.
- Hotel Roseg Gletscher: a cosy family-run lodge with an excellent restaurant and a stone's throw from the best slopes in the area, offering traditional pine-adorned rooms. A charming place to stay.
- Hotel Muottas Muragl: a gorgeous boutique hotel in a stunning location high in the mountains, offering rooms adorned with unpolished pine furniture and boasting epic views, a fantastic restaurant boasting a wide and varied wine list. Simply stunning.
- Hotel Muller Mountain Lodge: a chic luxury hotel with an enormous wine cellar and easy access to the slopes, offering contemporary rooms with parquet flooring, crisp white linen and artworks. You have a choice of 3 restaurants! A spoiling stay.
- Hotel Saratz: a luxury Alpine property offering contemporary rooms boasting amazing views, multiple fine-dining establishments to choose from, not to mention a pampering spa and legendary wine list. Great for couples!
- Hotel Rosatsch: the ideal mountain base, offering elegant rooms, a spoiling spa and state-of-the-art fitness centre, and a sumptuous restaurant.
- Hotel Walther: offering rooms that redefine the meaning of Alpine-chic, this truly luxurious and architecturally fascinating property is one of the finest in the area. With 4 world-class restaurants, a spoiling spa and fitness centre, it promises rest and respite in the pampering arms of pure luxury.
- Grand Hotel Kronenhof: grand and architecturally beautiful, this is the height of sophistication. A historic hotel in the heart of town, offering ornate and elegant rooms adorned with fine fabrics and hand-crafted furniture. A truly wonderful stay.
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- There is never a bad time to go: in the summer, the temperature can reach up to 19 degrees. As for skiing, the best time to go is during the springtime, when the temperature averages at around 2 degrees.
- Fly to Milan and get a train from Milano Centrale to Tirano, from where you can get a connection to Surovas. There you can either get a bus or taxi to Pontresina.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our properties in St Moritz.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Switzerland.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Pontresina
Berghaus Diavolezza 6 rooms from £66Pontresina
Chalet overlooking the Bernina Mountain Range. Guestrooms and dormitories are simple with wooden furniture and modern bathrooms. Hot tub on outdoor terrace to take in the spectacular views. Regional Graubünden and Valtellina specialities in the restaurant and simpler snacks in buffet restaurant.Value chic - Excellent value with half-board included in the price - no scary hotel bills!Groups - Light and fresh dormitories are ideal for a larger group's stayGreat walks - The Piz Palu and the Piz Bernina can be reached from the hotel and offer challenging climbsSecluded setting - In winter, hotel can only be reached by cable car before 5pm
Hotel Albris 33 rooms from £132Pontresina
Idyllic hotel in the Upper Engadine mountains. Guestrooms have exposed beams, mountain views worth waking up early for and charming Alpine touches. Sauna and spa treatments, some rooms have steam showers. Large bakery serving the shop (ask for a tour!), and excellent restaurant.Foodies - The hotel bakery produces 40 different types of bread and the infamous Engadine Pie, as well as fantastic restaurantGreat walks - For mountaineers, the Engadine is among the most beautiful areas in the entire Alpine regionViews - Great views from hotel
Hotel Roseg Gletscher 15 rooms from £139Pontresina (Roseg Valley)
A family-run lodge located in the pretty car-free area of Pontresina. Simple traditional rooms feature pine furniture, white washed walls and parquet flooring. A cosy restaurant serves up regional fare with particularly good dessert. Easy access to the surrounding mountains. A charming stay.Families - Family rooms, a children's playground and the surrounding nature will keep little ones entertained.Active Holiday - From skiing in the winter to hiking in the summer and everything inbetween.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Gasthaus & Hotel Berninahaus 22 rooms from £159Pontresina
A charming alpine lodge with easy access to the slopes. Cosy pine clad rooms complete with beamed ceilings and sink-into beds. Hearty regional cuisine is served in the traditionally alpine restaurant. A delightful mountain base with numerous activities to keep all entertained.Hideaway - A cosy base to return to after a day on the mountains, with a Hammam, sauna and terrace overlooking the valley.Full of characterTraditional
Hotel Steinbock 32 rooms from £161Pontresina
A quintessentially alpine property with access to some of Europe's best slopes. Rustic chic rooms feature exposed beams, crisp white linen and contemporary bathrooms. Dine on modern and traditional Engadine fare in the cosy restaurant, and enjoy an evening drink at the piano bar. Charming.Total relaxation - The perfect spot to unwind, with stunning mountain views and an extensive spa and relaxation zone.Active Holiday - The mountains will provide ample opportunity for outdoor activities.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Allegra 54 rooms from £171Pontresina
Popular hotel in Pontresina in the Bernina massif. Guestrooms have hardwood floors, stunning views of either the valley or mountains. Excellent breakfasts. Guests have full use of Bellavita Pool & SPA centre, just next door with saunas, indoor pool and children's play area. A family favourite.Families - A lovely family suite and capacity for extra beds in all rooms, this hotel has spa facilities for all the family too!Great walks - Very well-marked routes through forests, to glaciers and up to the peak of Piz Bernina’s Biancograt ridgeViews - Great views from hotelSpa
Chesa Mulin 30 rooms from £189Pontresina
A smart 3-star hotel in a great location in Pontresina. Contemporary airy rooms are simply designed with spacious modern bathrooms and feature mountain-scene backdrops. Hearty breakfasts served to set you up for a day outdoors. A convenient base for active holidays, within easy access of the slopes.Active Holiday - Located at the foot of the Piz Palü Mountain, with endless space to explore, by bike, foot or skis!Great walks - Head out from the hotel and wander the lovely valley admiring the flowers and views.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Hotel Muller Mountain Lodge 20 rooms from £213Pontresina
A chic luxury hotel with easy access to the slopes. Contemporary rooms feature parquet flooring, crisp white linen and tasteful contemporary art. Choose from three restaurants and a wine cellar holding over 170 bottles. An excellent choice for those who want a touch of glamour in the mountains.Total relaxation - A chic base to unwind after a day in the mountains with an extensive spa, excellent food, and a wide variety of whiskeys!Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel Palu 61 rooms from £213Pontresina
A contemporary hotel set in stunning surrounds. Modern rooms feature floor to ceiling windows and scandi-style furniture. Dine in the excellent grill restaurant or find space to accommodate private dinners. A glorious spa whose architecture amalgamates contemporary and traditional design. Very chic.Country Escape - An indulgent rural retreat with trails leading you to Morteratsch Glacier, Alp Languard, Lake Stazersee or the Bernina Pass.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Spa
Hotel Muottas Muragl 16 rooms from £231Pontresina
A gorgeous boutique hotel boasting epic mountain views. Contemporary rooms feature light parquet flooring, unpolished pine furniture, crisp white linen and wonderfully luxurious bathrooms. Regional and international cuisine is served in an elegant restaurant alongside an excellent wine list.Active Holiday - Perched in an enviable position at the top of Muottas Muragi ski run giving easy access to many Alpine pursuits.Great walks - Stroll along the panoramic path from Muottas Muragl to Alp Languard.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel Saratz 93 rooms from £261Pontresina
A luxury Alpine property with epic views. Impressive rooms are contemporary, well proportioned and benefit from floor to ceiling windows. An extensive spa is worthy of a visit alone. Multiple fine-dining venues accommodate all appetites and be sure to indulge in the fine wine collection. Heavenly.Romantic Break - The ideal spot for a mountain getaway with large suites, excellent views, deep soaking tubs, and massage services.Spa breaks - Unwind in the luxurious Sarazenen Spa complete with stunning indoor pool.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
Hotel Rosatsch 83 rooms from £265Pontresina
An elegant hotel, within walking distance to the Alp Languard chair lift. Well proportioned rooms boast large windows to take in the mountain views and luxurious bathrooms. An expansive spa and fitness centre for complete rejuvenation. The perfect mountain base.Active Holiday - Well located for easy access to the mountains with the Alp Languard Chair Lift just a short walk from the hotel.Families - Ideal for a family escape to the mountains with babysitting services, a games room and large multi-room suites.Sights nearby - There are a selection of four excellent courses within a 30 minute drive.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.
Hotel Walther 70 rooms from £352Pontresina
An architecturally impressive property, complete with turrets, and framed by mountains. Boasting four world-class restaurants and a spoiling spa and fitness centre. Individually styled, elegant, rooms are the epitome of Alpine chic. With easy access to the slopes this property really has it all.Total relaxation - Right in the heart of the Alps, boasting a pampering spa with mountain stream water and an elegant restaurant with views.Families - A family friendly hotel complete with large multi-room suites, a playground and baby-sitting services.Skiing - The famed Engadin St. Moritz region offers pistes for all abilities as well as three snowparks.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Grand Hotel Kronenhof 112 rooms from £404Pontresina (Via Maistra 130,)
A historic 5-star luxury hotel in a quiet location, in the heart of beautiful Pontresina. Opulent rooms with hand crafted furniture and fine fabrics evoke classic elegance. A luxurious spa, an award winning restaurant and splendid views of the mountains. Grand, affluent and sophisticated.Total relaxation - Unwind in style in the relaxation room with fireplace, indoor pool and wellness area with breathtaking views of the mountains.Country Escape - A chic resort with every modern comfort, offering panoramic views of the Bernina glaciers and Engadine Mountains.Families - Ideal for families with children, with day care, babysitting and a children's restaurant.Fishing - Fishing can be organised in the local area for keen angelers.