Search the best hotels in Utrecht
One of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, Utrecht has charm and plenty of visitor appeal. It was built around a series of split-level canals and these give the medieval centre plenty of character. It is, equally, a fun place to be of an evening. Utrecht’s large student population, the largest in the Netherlands, probably helps with this as well. There are some great bars and cafes built into old warehouses and cellars on the 13th century lower level canals. Utrecht’s highlights are mostly centred around the medieval heart, which is where you’ll find the Gothic Cathedral and a collection of ancient churches, the City Hall, a fantastic fish market and a raft of interesting museums. Our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Utrecht are all located in this part of town too.
What Not To Miss
- Taking a stroll around the historic canals of Utrecht can really feel like a step back through history. There's also a great selection of little bars and shops which are a brilliant way to experience the local atmosphere.
- Enjoy a spectacular view of Utrecht from the majestic Dom Tower - the tallest Church Tower in the Netherlands.
- Experience a musical masterclass at the Museum Speelklok where visitors take a tour of centuries-old self playing instruments. Featuring everything from musical boxes to Dutch street organs - it's a unique musical experience.
- Even if you're not a keen train-spotter, pay a visit to the Railway Museum with a great variety of wonderfully maintained trains from the 1800's early examples to more recent models.
- Have a wander around Utrecht's Botanic Gardens - with plenty of different species of plants and even a butterfly house there's plenty to see and do.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Utrecht are ideal for people looking for a comfy central base from which to explore the city.
- Zies is a small and chic hotel offering luxurious art-filled rooms in the heart of the historic centre of Utrecht. Enjoy the selection of wines at the bistro, admiring the view from your balcony or relaxing in your room with Netflix. A trendy city stay!
- Hotel26 is a quirky, contemporary hotel, featuring old canal cellars converted into en-suite rooms boasting picturesque riverside views. A cool way of seeing the city.
- A sleek designer hotel in the centre of Utrecht, Mother Goose is a former warehouse offering chic rooms with exposed brick walls, beamed ceilings and luxury bathrooms. Eco-friendly, and near the main attractions. A real delight.
- Mary K Hotel is set within an 18th century canalside townhouse, offering artsy, eco-friendly rooms with chic designs. Enjoy relaxing with a massage or in the sauna, or hire a bike and explore the city!
- Sonnehoeck B&B is an elegant guesthouse in the heart of the city, offering traditionally-decorated rooms featuring large sash windows, antique furniture and whitewashed walls.
- Logement Swaenenvecht is set in a renovated Renaissance mansion that's steeped in history, offering elegant rooms furnished with antiques and wooden beams. Unwind in the beautiful lush garden, or explore the ornament-filled rooms of this fascinating house.
For a contemporary stay
- The Eye Hotel is an excellent contemporary hotel designed with an eye for style. It’s not brash and showy though, it’s comfortable and soothing with simple colour themes and practical furnishings. Plus the city is right on your doorstep.
- Malie Hotel is a stylish and modern 4* hotel in the centre of the city, offering bright and contemporary rooms. Enjoy hanging out at the bar, shaded terrace or garden, or rent a bike from the hotel and explore the city!
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of properties ideal for enjoying everything this wonderful city has to offer.
- Fly to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol located 63km (39 miles) from Utrecht. The airport is served by a range of International and domestic carriers and has trains to Utrecht.
- Catch a train to Utrecht, with great connecting options to destinations including Amsterdam and even International ones like Frankfurt.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit are the summer months from June to early September which offer the best chance of warm weather for exploring the city.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Utrecht
Sonnehoeck B&B 3 rooms from £88Utrecht
An elegant guesthouse set in the heart of Utrecht. Spacious rooms are cleanly designed yet still have a traditional feel with large sash windows, polished wooden floors, a choice selection of antiques and white washed walls. A very comfortable base to explore the city from.Local exploring - Ideally placed within walking distance of many of the city's main attractions.Great walks - Take a walk around the beautiful Wilhelminapark.Sights nearby - Stroll down to view the Dom church and Tower.Traditional
Logement Swaenenvecht 7 rooms from £101Utrecht (Oud-Zuilen)
A converted Renaissance castle, steeped in Dutch history, with wooden beams and antique furnishings. Seven traditionally styled en suite rooms, each with a garden or river view. Guests are invited to relax in the garden, enjoy the ornament filled rooms and be inspired by the architectural fusion.Architectural - Being a medieval castle with Renaissance additions, the fusion of architectural styles is evident throughout the hotelWriting a novel - Steeped in Dutch history, with both medieval and Renaissance influence, this is undoubtedly a very inspirational spotTotal relaxation - Surrounded by nature, guests can sail on the river, or enjoy a cycle on it's banks. The perfect place to relaxLocal exploring - Just a short 15 minute drive from the center of Utrecht, this is a great spot from which to explore the city
Zies 6 rooms from £101Utrecht (3511 ZM)
Chic luxury rooms in the heart of Utrecht's historic centre and museum quarter. Rooms have a TV (with Netflix), wifi, Nespresso machine, minibar and some come with a balcony. The exemplary Mediterranean bistro also holds a choice selection of wines. A chic hotel to explore the city from.Local exploring - Well located in the heart of Ultrech.Sights nearby - Climb to the top of Dom Tower and admire the fabulous views.Outstanding locationLively area - In the thick of the action.
Hotel26 4 rooms from £104NM Utrecht
A quirky hotel in the heart of Utrecht. Old canal cellars converted into modern en suite rooms, some with a private kitchen and dining room, all with picturesque river views. Guests are invited to relax on private terraces and watch the boats go by; a truly unique way to discover the city.Groups - With four and five person apartments , all with private kitchens and living rooms, this is the perfect space for small groupsFamilies - The self catering apartments fit up to five people making this an ideal spot for families seeking a more independent tripCity Style - How better to explore the city than from converted cellars along the Utrecht Canal - a truly unique settingLocal exploring - Situated in the heart of Utrecht, it is the perfect spot for those who wish to explore the local area
Malie Hotel 45 rooms from £1053581 SL Utrecht
Stylish and modern 4-star accommodation in the centre of Utrecht, offering bright and contemporary rooms. Facilities include a bar, a terrace with gorgeous panoramic views and a lush shaded garden. Guests can rent bikes from the hotel and the historic city centre is just an amble away.Business meetings - Over 45 rooms, several multimedia-equipped seminar rooms and a bar, this is the pefect place to hold business meetings.Local exploring - The historic city centre, along with its many attractions, is just a short walk from the hotel.Great walks - Utrecht is a beutiful city to explore by foot.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Mother Goose 4 rooms from £126Utrecht
Sleek designer accommodation in the historic centre of Utrecht. The former warehouse now features sumptuous rooms all fitted out with a flatscreen TV, rain-shower, and Paul Schulten amenities. Suites come with a bath. The hotel is eco-friendly and is situated near the shopping and museum precincts.Eco break - It is a "green" hotel, renovated with only sustainable building materials, energy efficient and recycles.Romantic Break - Walk to the top of Dom tower with your loved one and see Utrecht at night swimming in lights beneath you.Local exploring - In the historic centre of Utrecht with many of the attractions within walking distance.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Eye Hotel 36 rooms from £132Utrecht
Designed with meticulous style, the Eye Hotel in Utrecht is an excellent contemporary hotel. The rooms feature comfortable furnishings and soothing, simplistic colour schemes. With the city centre on the doorstep, it's perfect for exploring the university city.Families - With large family suites, it's perfect for a family trip to Utrecht.City Style - Perfect for exploring the sights and sounds of Utrecht.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the Aboriginal Art Museum.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Mary K Hotel 8 rooms from £137Utrecht (3511 AB)
An artsy boutique hotel set in a renovated 18th century canal house in downtown Utrecht. Eco-friendly rooms are stylishly designed with clean lines, modern bathrooms, crisp white linen and Nespresso machines. Bikes are available for hire and there's massages on offer and a sauna too.Eco break - This is a Green Deluxe Certified hotel: everything is locally-sourced, organic and energy efficient.City Style - Each room is uniquely decorated with chic, modern furnishings.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Outstanding location