Search the best hotels in Utrecht
One of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, Utrecht has charm and plenty of visitor appeal. It was built around a series of split-level canals and these give the medieval centre plenty of character. It is, equally, a fun place to be of an evening. Utrecht’s large student population, the largest in the Netherlands, probably helps with this as well. There are some great bars and cafes built into old warehouses and cellars on the 13th century lower level canals. Utrecht’s highlights are mostly centred around the medieval heart, which is where you’ll find the Gothic Cathedral and a collection of ancient churches, the City Hall, a fantastic fish market and a raft of interesting museums. Our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Utrecht are all located in this part of town too.
What Not To Miss
- Taking a stroll around the historic canals of Utrecht can really feel like a step back through history. There's also a great selection of little bars and shops which are a brilliant way to experience the local atmosphere.
- Enjoy a spectacular view of Utrecht from the majestic Dom Tower - the tallest Church Tower in the Netherlands.
- Experience a musical masterclass at the Museum Speelklok where visitors take a tour of centuries-old self playing instruments. Featuring everything from musical boxes to Dutch street organs - it's a unique musical experience.
- Even if you're not a keen train-spotter, pay a visit to the Railway Museum with a great variety of wonderfully maintained trains from the 1800's early examples to more recent models.
- Have a wander around Utrecht's Botanic Gardens - with plenty of different species of plants and even a butterfly house there's plenty to see and do.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Utrecht are ideal for people looking for a comfy central base from which to explore the city.
- Zies is a small and chic hotel offering luxurious art-filled rooms in the heart of the historic centre of Utrecht. Enjoy the selection of wines at the bistro, admiring the view from your balcony or relaxing in your room with Netflix. A trendy city stay!
- A sleek designer hotel in the centre of Utrecht, Mother Goose is a former warehouse offering chic rooms with exposed brick walls, beamed ceilings and luxury bathrooms. Eco-friendly, and near the main attractions. A real delight.
- Mary K Hotel is set within an 18th century canalside townhouse, offering artsy, eco-friendly rooms with chic designs. Enjoy relaxing with a massage or in the sauna, or hire a bike and explore the city!
- Logement Swaenenvecht is set in a renovated Renaissance mansion that's steeped in history, offering elegant rooms furnished with antiques and wooden beams. Unwind in the beautiful lush garden, or explore the ornament-filled rooms of this fascinating house.
For a contemporary stay
- The Eye Hotel is an excellent contemporary hotel designed with an eye for style. It’s not brash and showy though, it’s comfortable and soothing with simple colour themes and practical furnishings. Plus the city is right on your doorstep.
- Malie Hotel is a stylish and modern 4* hotel in the centre of the city, offering bright and contemporary rooms. Enjoy hanging out at the bar, shaded terrace or garden, or rent a bike from the hotel and explore the city!
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of properties ideal for enjoying everything this wonderful city has to offer.
- Fly to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol located 63km (39 miles) from Utrecht. The airport is served by a range of International and domestic carriers and has trains to Utrecht.
- Catch a train to Utrecht, with great connecting options to destinations including Amsterdam and even International ones like Frankfurt.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit are the summer months from June to early September which offer the best chance of warm weather for exploring the city.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Utrecht.
- Alternatively, widen the net and include all of our recommendations in Amsterdam or The Hague.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Utrecht
Best Hotels in Utrecht
Logement Swaenenvecht Utrecht (Oud-Zuilen) 7 rooms from £100Architectural - Being a medieval castle with Renaissance additions, the fusion of architectural styles is evident throughout the hotelWriting a novel - Steeped in Dutch history, with both medieval and Renaissance influence, this is undoubtedly a very inspirational spotTotal relaxation - Surrounded by nature, guests can sail on the river, or enjoy a cycle on it's banks. The perfect place to relaxLocal exploring - Just a short 15 minute drive from the center of Utrecht, this is a great spot from which to explore the city
A converted Renaissance castle, steeped in Dutch history, with wooden beams and antique furnishings. Seven traditionally styled en suite rooms, each with a garden or river view. Guests are invited to relax in the garden, enjoy the ornament filled rooms and be inspired by the architectural fusion. See More
Zies Utrecht (3511 ZM) 6 rooms from £100Local exploring - Well located in the heart of Ultrech.Sights nearby - Climb to the top of Dom Tower and admire the fabulous views.Outstanding locationLively area - In the thick of the action.
Chic luxury rooms in the heart of Utrecht's historic centre and museum quarter. Rooms have a TV (with Netflix), wifi, Nespresso machine, minibar and some come with a balcony. The exemplary Mediterranean bistro also holds a choice selection of wines. A chic hotel to explore the city from. See More
Malie Hotel 3581 SL Utrecht 45 rooms from £104Business meetings - Over 45 rooms, several multimedia-equipped seminar rooms and a bar, this is the pefect place to hold business meetings.Local exploring - The historic city centre, along with its many attractions, is just a short walk from the hotel.Great walks - Utrecht is a beutiful city to explore by foot.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Stylish and modern 4-star accommodation in the centre of Utrecht, offering bright and contemporary rooms. Facilities include a bar, a terrace with gorgeous panoramic views and a lush shaded garden. Guests can rent bikes from the hotel and the historic city centre is just an amble away. See More
Mother Goose Utrecht 4 rooms from £125Eco break - It is a "green" hotel, renovated with only sustainable building materials, energy efficient and recycles.Romantic Break - Walk to the top of Dom tower with your loved one and see Utrecht at night swimming in lights beneath you.Local exploring - In the historic centre of Utrecht with many of the attractions within walking distance.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Sleek designer accommodation in the historic centre of Utrecht. The former warehouse now features sumptuous rooms all fitted out with a flatscreen TV, rain-shower, and Paul Schulten amenities. Suites come with a bath. The hotel is eco-friendly and is situated near the shopping and museum precincts. See More
Eye Hotel Utrecht 36 rooms from £130Families - With large family suites, it's perfect for a family trip to Utrecht.City Style - Perfect for exploring the sights and sounds of Utrecht.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the Aboriginal Art Museum.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Mary K Hotel Utrecht (3511 AB) 8 rooms from £135Eco break - This is a Green Deluxe Certified hotel: everything is locally-sourced, organic and energy efficient.City Style - Each room is uniquely decorated with chic, modern furnishings.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Outstanding location
An artsy boutique hotel set in a renovated 18th century canal house in downtown Utrecht. Eco-friendly rooms are stylishly designed with clean lines, modern bathrooms, crisp white linen and Nespresso machines. Bikes are available for hire and there's massages on offer and a sauna too. See More