- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Ürgüp
Cappadiocia's spectacular lunar like landscape has always appealed to travellers seeking something new. Above the ground the Volcanic anthills and chimneys are totally unique. Below ground the famous warrens of cave villages hewn into the basalt are equally unlike anything you'll find elsewhere. If you want to experience this special landscape in style then Ürgüp is for you. Many of the best places to stay in Urgup can be found in the town's best traditional caves and beautiful honey coloured stone buildings, many of which have been converted into upmarket hotels or restaurants offering fine dining.
The fertile soil is excellent for producing grapes and visiting a winery to taste some of the sweet local Ottoman-Greek specialities is one of the things you should definitely try. Along with a visit to the local museum, a trip up Temenni Wishing Hill - for the views of Ürgüp, or perhaps a balloon ride. It's also possible to explore the landscape on horseback.
Cappadocia's moonscape was created around 70 million years ago by a massive volcanic eruption but it was the threat of a different kind of violence which lead people to move underground. The volcanic soil makes the area rich and fertile, so this strange countryside was fought over again and again. People burrowed underground, cutting into the rock and hollowing out around thirty underground cities. There are around a thousand churches.
What not to miss:
- Do as the locals and get scrubbed down in a local hammam.
- Take a balloon ride over the moon-like landscape.
- Visit the local wineries and sample the produce.
- Get out of the city and horse ride or hike across the epic terrain.
- Explore ancient cave villages.
Our guide to the best places to stay in Ürgüp has something for all tastes and budgets whether you're looking for a cheap and cheerful B&B or a little luxury.
The Best places to stay in Ürgüp
Most of the best accommodation in Ürgüp is in the town's honey coloured buildings or in the back alleys of the Old Town where there are some prime examples of the local architecture.
- The Hezen Cave Hotel is a particularly fine example and one of the best places to stay in Ürgüp if you like your accommodation rustic but chic and with plenty of exposed stone. But most importantly, above ground!
- Sacred House Hotel is a renovated grand townhouse packed with character. Individually styled rooms feature arches, exposed stonework, domed ceilings and particularly impressive bathrooms.
Ürgüp and Surrounds
One of the largest towns in Cappadocia, Ürgüp also makes an excellent base for exploring the whole region. And you're right near Ortahisar where there's a castle, a monastery and a folk museum.
- Serinn House is a wonderfully chic designer hotel in a beautiful rustic setting. The minimalist decor makes the most of this almost fort-like building against a picturesque backdrop.
- Argos in Cappadocia is a spectacular place to stay! Once a monastery, this collection of ancient stone houses and tunnels is right in amongst the smooth lunar cliffs. It has one of the most magical views in the region. Closer to Uchisar than Ürgüp, Argos is a great place to stay if you want to explore the whole region.
- If you don't like the idea of sleeping below ground but you still want a cave hotel experience, the Sultan Cave Suites are an excellent compromise. This regal house is cut into the side of a cliff so while some of the 30 rooms are cut into the rock they're not below the earth - the impressive views of Göreme are a bonus as well. The city looks as if it was dug into a basin from here.
- Kayakapi Premium Caves is a stunning and unique hotel comprising of restored historical caves carved into the soft stone cliffs of Kayakapi neighborhood in Göreme National Park.
- Stay in the charming Gamirasu Cave set within a system of caves in the rural Turkish village of Ayvali. The elegant rooms are full of character with antique furnishings and exposed vaulted ceilings.
For an apartment
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Kayseri Erkilet Airport (ASR) or Nevşehir Kapadokya Airport (NAV) which are both well connected to Istanbul. From either airport the journey to Urgup is less than an hours drive. Kayseri is also on a busy railway route and there are good links from all across Turkey.
- Best time to visit - Cappadocia is a year-round destination and in winter there’s the added bonus of skiing in Erciyes (see “The Best Hotels” below). April, May and June are excellent in terms of temperature as are September and October. July and August tend to be very hot.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ürgüp
The House Hotel 29 rooms from $128Ürgüp (Nevsehir)
The House Hotel is situated in an Ottoman mansion at the foot of the Bosphorus Bridge in Cappadocia. Offering unfussy chic accommodation with exposed stone walls, and beamed ceilings. Each room features Turkish marble floors and their spa facilities are built into natural alcoves! Bliss!Value chic - Totally unique accommodation, wonderful facilities and at great value-what more could you ask for?Total relaxation - Practise yoga by candelight in their atmospheric caves or unwind in the saunaLocal markets - Cappadocia's bustling outdoor market (or Pazar as it's known) always has a lively energy and diverse range of stallsGreat walks - Cappadocia is famous for its unique rock formations and caves so there's some fabulous hiking trails to exploreRecommended by - Tablet, Johansens
Hezen Cave Hotel 10 rooms from $160Urgup, Cappadocia
A sunny sandstone hotel in a lovely village. Rustic chic rooms and suites have creamy furnishings, light stone walls, and splashes of deep red. Wonderful terraces and views over beautiful landscapes. A chic, but understated spot to explore the region from.Romantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelLuxuryLocal markets - Bazaars of Urgup and Goreme.Recommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Sacred House 21 rooms from $165Ürgüp (Barbaros Hayrettin Sok No: 25)
A renovated grand townhouse packed with character. Individually styled rooms feature arches, exposed stonework, domed ceilings and particularly impressive bathrooms. An extensive spa, complete with authentic hammam, is the perfect spot to unwind after a day of culture. A gem of a property.Local exploring - The hotel is situated in a historically fascinating area.Sights nearby - Visit the Devrent Valley, full of interesting rock formations and just 2km from the Urgup.Restrictions on children - Over 15's are welcomed.Romantic - Good for couples.
Serinn House 5 rooms from $150Urgup, Cappadocia
A small chic boutique hotel. Luxurious rooms combine minimalist style and tradition for luxurious effect. Four poster beds, shiny parquet floors, cavernous stone arches, chandeliers and modern furniture. Lovely terraces with gorgeous views. An understated spot.Views - Wonderful views over Urgup and the surrounding mountainsCountry EscapeLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape
Gamirasu Cave 30 rooms from $211Ürgüp
A charming hotel set in a cave system in the rural Turkish village of Ayvali. The elegant rooms are full of character with antique furnishings and exposed vaulted ceilings. Relax by the pool or take a horse riding trek through the surrounding countryside. A Turkish delight.Romantic Break - This unique and picturesque cave hotel, with deluxe suites and stunning surrounds, makes for a special getaway for two.Families - With excellent multi-person suites, children's menus and babysitting services, it's perfect for family holidays.Sights nearby - The hotel sits just six miles from Nikolos Monastery and Mazı Underground City.Great walks - Make the most of the superb walking in the nearby Goreme National Park.