Search the best hotels in Chichester
Chichester is a cathedral city, and the county town of West Sussex. The Romans settled here, as did the Anglo-Saxons, the Normans and all the generations after, and it’s been a lively market town through much of recorded history. Fisbourne Roman Palace, the largest Roman residence north of the Alps, is a near neighbour - it’s now impressively excavated and preserved, and open as a museum. Many people know contemporary Chichester for its festival, and its Festival Theatre, which is one of the UK’s producing and touring theatres. Chichester also has a Symphony Orchestra, a planetarium and science centre, and a film festival - it’s a culturally meeting calendar of events. The best places to stay in Chichester are as varied as the people who’re visiting, ranging from converted townhouse hotels and farmhouses, to homely B&Bs.
Goodwood is another of Chichester’s local attractions, and the best places to stay in Chichester are popular for race-goers. The countryside around Chichester is picturesque, and the city is close to the coastline, only about a quarter of an hour, so it’s a lovely pick for walkers and/ or explorers. The Centurion Way starts here, and runs along an old railway line, all the way to West Dean.
Chichester’s 11th century cathedral is a spectacular sight, inside and out, known for its glorious stained glass windows, assortment of historic tapestries and paintings, and dramatic spires which rise above the town. So undeniably one to visit while you’re booked in to one of the best places to stay in Chichester. Our Gurus also recommend Bishop’s Palace Gardens, the Chichester Museum, the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum, and the Weald and Downland Living Museum - kids will probably love all of these too. The Royal Naval Museums of nearby Portsmouth also come highly recommended for families. And the beach!
The Best Places to Stay in Chichester
For a Mini-Break
- The Chichester Harbour Hotel is a Georgian townhouse conversion in central Chichester, with 37 contemporary rooms and suites, a lively bar, and a great restaurant, and an underground spa! with a hydrotherapy pool, a gym and steam room. There are plenty of original features adding to the Chichester Harbour Hotel’s appeal - full height sash windows, magnificent fireplaces and a grand, sweeping central staircase, but it’s decorated in contemporary colours, design furniture, and contemporary art on the walls. Our Gurus enjoyed the afternoon tea.
For Great Value
- Crouchers is a converted farmhouse just outside Chichester, with 26 spacious, comfortable, and affordable rooms and suites. This is simple accommodation at its best, with pleasantly unfussy design in neutral colours, and good quality, solid furniture. Some rooms have courtyard access and four-poster beds. The hotel restaurant has 2 AA Rosettes, a friendly bar, and that lovely courtyard.
- Church Lodge is a three room B&B just back from the Sussex coast. This is a home, as well as a B&B, and it’s got a warm, comfortable and friendly atmosphere. Our Gurus like the eclectic decor, the breakfast conservatory, and the peaceful location.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The closest airport to Chichester is probably Southampton Airport, which is about 40minutes away from Chichester by road, or about 50minutes by train if you can get a direct train, or an hour and a half via Southampton Central Station. London’s Gatwick Airport may well be more convenient for you, and is a similar distance away: 55minutes by car or taxi, and an hour by train direct, or an hour and a quarter via Barnham. If you’re travelling via London, the quickest route is probably by train out of London Victoria, which can take as little as an hour and a half - if you travel by direct train.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Chichester is busiest during the Festival of Chichester, which runs for four weeks annually, at the end of June and beginning of July. The Chichester calendar of events has interesting events scattered throughout the year, so there are always visitors, but if you’re thinking only of the weather then then Chichester’s oceanic climate means you can expect a limited smattering of rainfall year round, but plenty of sunshine too, and Chichester’s appeals are both indoor and outdoor, so it’s really a year-round destination.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in West Sussex?
- you may want to consider nearby Portsmouth? or Midhurst?
- you might refine your search by the kind of holiday you’re planning? and consider our Gurus’ recommendations for the best pubs-with-rooms in West Sussex? or the most romantic hotels in West Sussex?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Chichester
Best Hotels in Chichester
Crouchers Chichester 26 rooms from £90Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the charms of West Sussex and the nearby south coast.Sights nearby - Take a trip into Chichester and visit sights such as the cathedral.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.
Set in a lovely converted farmhouse, Crouchers offers excellent accommodation near Chichester. Featuring spacious, comfortable rooms and a 2 AA Rosette restaurant, it's a great base from which to explore the charms of West Sussex. The hotel also offers wedding services. See More
Church Lodge Chichester (Birdham) 3 rooms from £100Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the West Sussex coastline.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Chichester and explore city's fascinating cathedral.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the nearby Sussex coastline.
Just a short way from the Sussex coast, Church Lodge is a delightful, small B&B featuring three lovely rooms. The style is comfortable and contemporary with crisp colour schemes and tasteful furnishings. A quiet spot for a weekend away on the south coast. See More
Chichester Harbour Hotel Chichester (West Sussex) 37 rooms from £121City Style - A chic hotel in the heart of Chichester offering fantastic food and easy access to the city.Restaurant - The Jetty delivers delicious dishes from locall sourced, seasonal ingredients.Great walks - Spend a day exploring the picturesque South Down’s countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the medieval cathedral located at the heart of the city.
A chic boutique hotel set in the heart of the pretty Georgian city of Chichester. Contemporary rooms, a lively bar and The Ship a fantastic restaurant. An underground spa is utterly spoiling and the central location gives easy access to the city's shops. The perfect spot for a luxury city break. See More