Search the best hotels in West Sussex
About West Sussex
Despite being extensively invaded by the Romans, and more recently by Londoners snapping up second homes, West Sussex has retained plenty of its unique character, and its natural assets. The South Downs, and the harbours around Chichester, being two of them. So now our Gurus’ recommendations for the best places to stay in West Sussex are characterful, and often view-rich too. West Sussex has an excellent array of accommodation on offer, from grand country houses turned hotels, through to simple B&Bs and holiday cottages, and this is a fantastic destination for great pubs-with-rooms; walkers; those with an interest in history; families; and mini-breakers.
Some of our West Sussex recommendations:
- 10 of the Most Romantic Hotels in West Sussex
- 10 of the Best Hotels with hot tubs in West Sussex
- The Best Spa Hotels in West Sussex
- The Best Pubs-with-Rooms in West Sussex
- The Best Hotels for the South Downs
West Sussex has a fantastic calendar of events, which includes Goodwood’s horse racing and motor racing fixtures, and the polo at Cowdray Park (stay in Midhurst for Cowdray). Chichester’s Arts Festival is another mark in the calendar, when this Georgian market town of 18th century townhouses and pretty tea shops is injected with world-class art and theatre. But while things can get exciting, and busy during the season(s), West Sussex is also the perfect destination to escape to for a walk in woods carpeted with bluebells, or drinking beer inside, or outside, a fine country pub. Those seeking peace and views, may well gravitate to the South Downs, for their scenic walking trails and views to the coast. West Sussex’s accommodation needs to accommodate this broad range of visitor, and the best places to stay in West Sussex includes no-nonsense coastal guesthouses, left over from days when folk went shrimping in Bognor for their annual escape, which still do a brisk trade for the bucket-and-spade brigade. At the other end of the scale, five-star country piles abound, where former Lords and Ladies peer from their canvas haunts at corporate types having a pow-wow or elegant ladies relaxing in the fluffy robes of a spa package.
Arundel, with its castle, and pretty Petworth, with its fabulous stately home, built in the 17th century, and surrounding estate, are some of the best places to stay in West Sussex for families. Along with seaside charmers like east Wittering, Selsey, Bognor Regis, Worthing, and Shoreham-by-Sea.
The Best Places to Stay in West Sussex
For a quirky option
- The Old Railway Station is a rather magical collection for Pullman carriages, arranged along a decommissioned Sussex railway station, and providing ten guest rooms and suites. The old station and waiting room is now a cosy breakfast room, and tea rooms. There’s no restaurant, but there are a number of local options. Children ten and over welcome.
For a Countryside Escape
- Gravetye Manor, outside East Grinstead, is a traditional English country house hotel converted from a charmingly grand Elizabethan stone manor. Its 17 rooms and suites offer cosy country elegance, complete with country garden views, wood panelling and four-poster beds, the restaurant has a Michelin star, and the lawns, with their croquet hoops, complete with picture. Charm and romance against a backdrop of old fashioned hospitality and service.
- The Halfway Bridge is a cosy inn with comfortable six rooms, and a bar and restaurant below serving great ales and superior pub food. The location, on the Petworth estate, halfway between Midhurst and Petworth, is ideal for exploring the area, or for walkers, or escapers. Expect warm service, plenty of space, wonderfully traditional architectural details, and generous portions.
- The Welldiggers Arms is a country pub bursting with a contemporary version of rustic charm, and 14 very comfortably rooms and suites to match. Great value, with a very good restaurant, and plenty of privacy, this is an excellent choice for a quite country escape, as a base for walking of cycling, or as a place to lay your head before or after attending Goodwood or the polo at Cowdrey. Foodies will be impressed - make sure you visit the Petworth Farmer’s Market too. And you can bring your pooch for a nominal extra.
- The Horse Guards Inn got its name from being a popular stop off point for the household cavalry, as they escorted gold bullion from London to the navy in Portsmouth. They certainly appreciated this atmospheric pub and inn on the outskirts of the Petworth estate, close to the picturesque village of Tillington. Today the pub still has an historic and homely air, with mismatched furniture and chalkboard menus offering seasonal homegrown, foraged or locally sourced ingredients. The three rooms upstairs are just as charming, and there’s a wonderful garden ‘out behind”.
Best Country House Hotels
- The Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa is an elegant country house hotel set in on 120 acres of parkland. The house is medium old, but the rooms have been recently refurbished, and all 57 are light, spacious and dressed with contemporary confidence that incorporates bright colour in some room, and restraint in others. Expect romantic add-ons, like tandem massages, and tubs-for-two, but this is also a family-friendly option - so idea for parents who would love a bit of a spa break? and maybe supper for two after the kids have gone to bed? Our Gurus recommend the afternoon tea, which is served outside when the weather allows.
- The Angel Inn is a picturesque, Georgian era inn in the South Downs National Park. The seven charming rooms are decorated to compliment their traditional features, of exposed beams and elegant original fireplaces. Some of the rooms are ideally laid out for families. The restaurant is very good, and serves an excellent seasonal menu. Pets are welcome too.
For Historic Inns
- The Spread Eagle Hotel and Spa is a character-packed old inn, with a main building, which includes the pub, dating from 1430. Unsurprisingly, the old part of the building is a warren of exposed beams, narrowing and slanting corridors, creaking staircases, and architecture that doesn’t quite seem to fit together. Admiral Nelson and Elizabeth I are just some of the big name celeb.s who undoubtedly spent a night here, and the very comfortable ‘Queen’s Suite’ still has a wig closest. The oldest rooms have separate snugs, and carved four-poster beds, but among the 39 rooms and suites there are some far more contemporary options too, with some good-sized family suites. The spa is in the newer part of the building, and it’s very popular with mini-breakers and spa weekenders. The pub is cosy and relaxing, and the restaurant fancy, but friendly.
For a Mini-Break
- The Chichester Harbour Hotel is a Georgian townhouse conversion in the centre of town, with 37 contemporary rooms and suites, a lively bar, a great restaurant, and an underground spa with a hydrotherapy pool, a gym and steam room. There are plenty of original features adding to the property's appeal — full height sash windows, magnificent fireplaces and a grand, sweeping central staircase — but it’s decorated in contemporary colours, design furniture, and contemporary art on the walls.
- Famed for its racecourse, and motor circuit, Goodwood, and The Goodwood Hotel is a fantastically imagine escape on the Goodwood Estate, complete with a spa and health club, two golf courses, and a choice of restaurants, all serving food grown on the estate, and including a rather fantastic pub. The hotel has 91 rooms and suites, the largest of which have sitting rooms and patio terraces. You’ll see smart decoration throughout the hotel, in the communal areas, and the rooms. Children can be accommodated in adjoining rooms.
- The Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa is a mock medieval house built in the 1920s, using a wide variety of authentic materials, including a 15th century door and walls of Somerset stone. These days there’s a spa too, amongst the medieval follies and peacocks in the beautiful gardens, and 30 acres of parkland. The 39 rooms and suites offer romantic decor and four-poster beds.
- The South Lodge Hotel is a classic country house hotel: elegantly aged, set in acres of its own parklands; with a Michelin-starred restaurant; and views of the South Downs. In hotel form, the Lodge has 89 rooms and suites, with many a four-poster bed amongst them. And, as well as the Michelin-starred restaurant, there’s also a second, more casual option, which has 2 AA Rosettes. If you want more privacy, book a private cottage, and if you want a private hot tub, book the Godman or Farrier Suites.
For the South Downs
- Park House Hotel is a charmingly traditional, 21 room hotel in the heart of the South Downs National Park. Converted from an elegantly unfussy mansion house, this hotel now offers 21 rooms and suites, comfortably decorated in pale neutral colours - think plump cushions and just the right amount of chintz. The hotel has outdoor tennis courts, a professionally designed pitch n’ putt golf course, a putting green, croquet lawn, a spa and heated pool. There are also wonderful views of the South Downs, a peaceful drawing room, and a friendly restaurant. It’s been in the same family since 1948, and they’ve really honed their welcome.
- The Old House Inn was a farmhouse, but is now a pub-with-six-bedrooms. The pub and restaurant feel traditional, with an old beamed ceiling, stone floor and huge fireplace, but the bedrooms have contemporary touches to the traditional decor, like blue floors and chic, black and white bathrooms. The food is very good, and a Full English Breakfast is included with the room rate.
- Ockenden Manor is an Elizabethan manor house surrounded by tranquil grounds, about an hour from London, a country house hotel for people who appreciate uneven floorboards and lead-lined windows, but also Michelin-starred dining and impressive spa facilities. Ockenden does it with a state-of-the-art spa wing, which sits behind the original facade, offering contemporary accommodation if that’s what you’d prefer, while also offering all the wonderful nooks and crannies of the original Elizabethan building - perfect for romantics wanting to get lost. Expect English wines in the restaurant, cocktails in the cosy, wood-panelled bar, afternoon tea in the elegant dining room, and croquet on the lawns.
- The Crab and Lobster is a 26th century inn on the banks of the Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve. Today its main focus is its excellent seafood restaurant, and the four rooms and suites above it are elegant extensions of it. The menus are centred around locally caught fish, and locally reared meats, in an understated atmosphere.
For Great Value
- Crouchers is a converted farmhouse just outside Chichester, with 26 spacious, comfortable, and affordable rooms and suites. This is simple accommodation at its best, with pleasantly unfussy design in neutral colours, and good quality, solid furniture. Some rooms have courtyard access and four-poster beds. The hotel restaurant has 2 AA Rosettes, a friendly bar, and a lovely courtyard.
- Church Lodge is a three room B&B set just back from the Sussex coast. This is a home, as well as a B&B, and it’s got a warm, comfortable and friendly atmosphere. We like the eclectic decor, the breakfast conservatory, and the peaceful location.
- West Dean College B&B is an historic country house that looks quite a lot like a castle, what with its towers and crenelated, battlement-esque roof. Set within gated parkland and gardens just outside of Chichester, this is a wonderfully traditional feeling place to stay. The bedrooms have many original features, including elegant murals, and there are wonderful fireplaces, coving, stonework and stained glass. The communal areas are grand, the gardens glorious, and the views and atmosphere are tranquil. Adults only.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The closest airport depends on where exactly you’re staying, with Heathrow Airport, Gatwick, and Southampton Airport all worth considering. Alternatively trains run towards West Sussex from London Victoria.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- West Sussex is busiest during the summer. The Festival of Chichester, which runs for four weeks annually, is held at the end of June, through early July; the polo at Cowdrey runs between April and October; Goodwood is in September; and late spring, summer and early autumn are the best times to explore the South Downs too. West Sussex can be a great country escape any season, though, with sprinkles of rain coming through in all season. If you travel out of season you will find better value and choice.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Chichester? or Midhurst (for Cowdray?)? Petworth? or the South Downs?
- Or you could refine your search by the type of accommodation you’re looking for? and consider just the best pubs with rooms in West Sussex? or the best spa hotels? or most romantic hotels in West Sussex?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in West Sussex
Best Hotels in West Sussex
Titty Hill Farm Iping, Midhurst, West Sussex 2 rooms from £125Great walks - Paths straight from the door for all abilities — the Serpent Trail runs through the property. Each cabin has maps and guidesCountry Escape - Only two hours from London, and close to Chichester, Goodwood and miles of walking and cycling trailsRomantic Break - With only 2 beautifully designed and appointed cabins, this is an intimate pickHideaway - Set amid beautiful countryside in the heart of the South Downs National Park
Two rustic chic self catering cedar cabins set amid the stunning South Downs National Park. Beautifully styled and appointed interiors feature fully equipped kitchens, luxurious bathrooms, and comfy sitting areas for rainy days. Lovely shared potager garden with firepit. An intimate rural hideaway. See More
West Dean College B&B Chichester, West Sussex from £75Country Escape - An impressive country house set in 6,400 acres of countryside.Great walks - The surrounding South Downs offer miles of scenic walking tracks.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Chichester Cathedral.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
An historic country house set in acres of manicured gardens and parkland just outside Chichester. Traditionally dressed rooms feature warm hues, large artworks, high ceilings and sash windows. Expect elegant reception rooms, indulgent breakfasts, quiet surrounds and plenty to explore locally. See More
The Welldiggers Arms Petworth 14 rooms from £80Birdwatching - The Pulborough Brooks RSPB Nature Reserve is located just 5 miles away from The Welldiggers ArmsGreat walks - Make the most out of your location to spend your days hiking around the areaSights nearby - Go visit Arundel Castle, Arundel Cathedral or Amberley CastleShort break - Located just 22 miles away from Gatwick Airport
The Welldiggers Arms offers 4* accommodation in the rural town of Petworth. The fourteen rooms are country chic in style - featuring plenty of muted tones and contemporary furnishings. Excellent food with a regularly changing seasonal menu. A cosy, smart and unassuming country getaway! See More
The Horse Guards Inn Petworth (West Sussex) 3 rooms from £85Country Escape - Located within the picturesque grounds of Petworth Estate this is a true country getawaySights nearby - Visit the charming National Trust property of Petworth HouseGreat walks - The South Downs boasts plenty of walking pathsFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Crouchers Chichester 26 rooms from £90Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the charms of West Sussex and the nearby south coast.Sights nearby - Take a trip into Chichester and visit sights such as the cathedral.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.
Church Lodge Chichester (Birdham) 3 rooms from £100Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the West Sussex coastline.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Chichester and explore city's fascinating cathedral.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the nearby Sussex coastline.
Old House Inn Copthorne, West Sussex 6 rooms from £110Foodies - AA Rosette awarded and a fine wine listSights nearby - The 16th century Wakehurst Place is just a short drive awayGreat walks - The South Downs has plenty of walking pathsRestaurant - Recommended.
Chichester Harbour Hotel Chichester (West Sussex) 37 rooms from £121City Style - A chic hotel in the heart of Chichester offering fantastic food and easy access to the city.Restaurant - The Jetty delivers delicious dishes from locall sourced, seasonal ingredients.Great walks - Spend a day exploring the picturesque South Down’s countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the medieval cathedral located at the heart of the city.
A chic boutique hotel set in the heart of the pretty Georgian city of Chichester. Contemporary rooms, a lively bar and The Ship a fantastic restaurant. An underground spa is utterly spoiling and the central location gives easy access to the city's shops. The perfect spot for a luxury city break. See More
The Swan Hotel, Arundel Arundel, West Sussex 14 rooms from £122Local exploring - Right in the heart of Arundel you are walking distance from the Castle, Cathedral and riverGreat walks - Along the banks of the river to the local favourite, The Black RabbitSights nearby - Arundel Castle and Cathedral are must visitsSailing - A boat trip along the river Arun
Charming local inn boasting a prime location within the charming market town of Arundel. Rooms are decorated in palettes of cream with thick woollen throws, period sash windows and large roll top baths. Downstairs there is a cosy pub with restaurant serving seasonal dishes. A charming stay. See More
Windfalls Boutique Hotel Crawley, West Sussex 4 rooms from £125Romantic Break - A spoiling base for romance; rooms boast grand canopy beds, spa-style bathrooms, atmospheric playlists & scented candlesParking - If staying before a flight from Gatwick Airport, leaving your car for up to a week is included in the cost of the roomSights nearby - If you're a history lover don't miss a visit to Hever Castle, Anne of Cleves House & Wakehurst PlaceAdult Only
Intimate 6-room boutique base close to Gatwick Airport. The chic bungalow is home to lavish monochrome interiors; think pared-back modern glam with stylish Asian touches. Enjoy the lovely garden, cosy lounge & small bar; all have a serene feel. Designed for couples heading away on romantic getaways. See More
The White Hart, West Sussex South Harting, West Sussex 7 rooms from £129Country Escape - Nothing completes a trip to the country like a stay in a quintessentially English village inn!Foodies - Hearty meals served elegantly - foodies will loveSights nearby - Fishbourne Roman Palace and Gardens in nearby Chichester is a must visitLocal markets - The historic market towns of Petworth and Midhurst are simply charming
Comfortable contemporary pitstop close to the South Downs for couples, families and cyclists. A charming and quirky village inn, popular amongst locals and travellers alike. Rooms feature colourful tartans, exposed beams and modern bathrooms. Roaring fires and hearty meals create a cosy feel. See More
The Angel Inn Petworth 7 rooms from £130Back to Nature - Set in the breathtaking South Downs National Park, this is a great starting point to explore the natural landscapeFamilies - There are lots of activities for families in the area, from cycling and hiking to horse ridingCountry Escape - Situated in a quiet village, this inn makes for a perfect country getawaySights nearby - Visit Petworth House, a 17th-century listed country house, just five minutes' walk from the inn
A picturesque inn located in the South Downs National Park. Charming rooms have traditional features, from exposed beams to original fireplaces. Groups can hire neighbouring Hyde House, a stately Georgian-era gem. The inn's restaurant offers a fresh, seasonal menu; an idyllic escape to the country. See More
Harbour Hotel Chichester, West Sussex 37 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Norman built Chichester Cathedral and Chichester Castle are both within five minutes walk.Restaurant - Recommended.
The Halfway Bridge Petworth (West Sussex) 6 rooms from £140Local markets - The old market town of Petworth with its independant boutiques, cafes and antique shops is great for local exploring.Sailing - The seaside towns of Bogner Regis and Worthing are great for maritime activities.Great walks - The walking trails of the South Downs are accessible directly from the property.Sights nearby - The impressive Petworth House is just five minutes away and well worth a visit.Recommended by - Sawdays
Duck Lodge B&B Pyecombe, West Sussex 1 rooms from £140Romantic Break - A romantic, private and secluded property, perfect for just a couple.Sights nearby - Nearby Brighton has many great sights as well as a beach.Great walks - Explore the South Downs National Park.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Old Railway Station Petworth 10 rooms from £150Romantic Break - Book one of the luxury Pullman Carriages for an unusual romantic getawayUnusual - A converted 19th century railway station and luxury pullman carriageB+B - They serve excellent breakfasts, as well as afternoon tea.Great walks - Glorious walks on the South Downs nearby.
Relive the romance of a bygone age in a luxury Pullman carriage in a decommissioned railway station in Sussex, all teak and polished glass. The waiting room doubles as a cosy breakfast and tea room and Goodwood racing is nearby, as are all the delights of the South Downs. Romantic and quirky! See More
The White Horse, West Sussex Chilgrove, West Sussex 15 rooms from £150Country Escape - Private cottage style rooms with lovely views of the green rolling hills at this country chic hotel.Local exploring - In the heart of the Sussex countryside, a good place to base yourselves to explore the area.Foodies - Known for its exquisite restaurant serving British cuisine, awarded 1 AA Rosette.Great walks - Ramble in the South Downs. There are miles of paths for walkers of all abilitiesRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Royal Oak Chichester, West Sussex 8 rooms from £155Country Escape - Ideally placed for country pursuits such as rambling, fishing and shooting, with hearty food and cosy interiors to return to.Foodies - Feast at the award winning restaurant, serving fresh, local and totally seasonal produce- a fine example of British cooking.Great walks - Bring your wellies and a packed lunch from the hotel and head out to explore the stunning landscape of the South Downs.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby Kingley Vale, home to one of Europe's most impressive and oldest yew forests.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Millstream Hotel Chichester, West Sussex 35 rooms from £159Great walks - From the Bosham Walk to the lengthy South Downs Way there are routes for every rambler.Sights nearby - The historic buildings of Petworth House and Arundel Castle and Cathedral are close by.Sailing - From the quirkily named Smuggler's Lane take the ferry to tchenorRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Located in the quaint village of Bosham this hotel stronghold has been in the same family for almost 40 years. Rooms are decorated in a classic style, with traditional floral prints and built in wardrobes. There are leafy gardens with pond to explore, two restaurants and an excellent wine list. See More
Park House Hotel Midhurst (West Sussex) 21 rooms from £160Country Escape - The hotel grounds boasts a croquet lawn, golf course, grass tennis courts and the surrounding hills beckoning for country walks.Total relaxation - With spa treatments, indoor and outdoor pool, sauna and steam room plus a terraced bar for whiling away the afternoon.Sights nearby - Roman villas at Fishbourne and Bignor, plus Chichester Cathedral and plenty of stately homes close at hand.Great walks - The hotel provides wellies for exploring the South Downs rolling into the distance.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A timeless family hotel, in the heart of the South Downs National Park. Classically styled rooms brim with old school elegance and comfort. The popular restaurant serves locally sourced wholesome cuisine. A unique spot, complete with grass tennis courts, golf course, two pools and spa. See More
Crab and Lobster Sidlesham, West Sussex 4 rooms from £160Foodies - Wonderfully falvoursome cuisine, with seafood from the local fisherman, meat from the local farms and honey from the neighbours!Country Escape - An ideal country escape, with plush rooms, mouthwatering cuisine, roaring fires in the cosy bar and plenty of local walking.Great walks - Burn off some calories between lunch and dinner with an afternoon stroll on West Wittering's pebbly beach.Birdwatching - Binoculars and a telescope are provided for spotting local birds and animals.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Goodwood Hotel Chichester, West Sussex 91 rooms from £160Restaurant - Award wining food with many ingredients produced on the Goodwood estate.Great walks - Stroll around the Goodwood Estate or explore the South Downs waySights nearby - Just outside ChichesterTennis - Tennis Court on site
Spread Eagle Hotel And Spa Midhurst, West Sussex 39 rooms from £190Restaurant - Local suppliers and caters for special dietary requirementsSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolFour poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa Turners Hill, West Sussex 57 rooms from £200Total relaxation - This is truly a place to let go of it all, an oasis of luxorious suites, spa treatments, fine dining and picturesque grounds.Romantic Break - Inject a little romance into your weekend with two person tubs, enormous suites, tandem massages and candlelite dinners.Great walks - Take a stroll around the 120 acre parklands and manicured gardens that surrround the property.Tennis - Take to the courts for a friendly knockabout and burn off last nights dinner!Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Boutique country house hotel, set in 120 acres of parkland. Recently refurbished rooms are generously proportioned and sinfully luxurious. Enjoy the fine dining options and champagne bar. Spoiling facilities include spa and pool. Slip back to a simpler time where your day stops for afternoon tea. See More
Ockenden Manor Cuckfield, West Sussex 28 rooms from £245Foodies - The creative cuisine of Head Chef Stephen Crane has earned them a Michelin-Star, check out the seven-course Tasting Menu.Country Escape - Submerge yourself in this country house hotel, with every whim and comfort taken care of there is no need to leave.Great walks - This area boasts plenty of picturesque walks, ask your hosts to point out a few choice trails to follow.Restaurant - Michelin starred cuisine
This tranquil and historic manor house is just an hour from London, with lovely gardens, indoor and outdoor pools and a fine dining restaurant. Choose from traditional manor house rooms or elegant modern suites. Its top notch spa - and the Downs nearby - make for the perfect mini-break. See More
Leonardslee House Horsham, West Sussex 10 rooms from £250Garden - Extensive gardens and lakes, with a wide range of plants and trees, including a vast collection of rhododendrons and azaleasFoodies - MIchelin starred restaurant, a destination in its own right, and afternoon teas are lavish..Short break - Just a short hop from Gatwick with its air and rail links; ideal for a short getawayOutstanding location - Spectcular gardens and lakes, open to the pubic by day
A beautifully restored 19thC grand country house set in amazing gardens and lakes, open to the public by day. By night, they offer just 10 rooms and a wonderful Michelin starred restaurant. For garden lovers this is heaven on earth, with all the rural delights of West Sussex on its doorstep. See More
Gravetye Manor East Grinstead, West Sussex 17 rooms from £260Romantic Break - Grand period country house - utterly charming for a couple's getawayFoodies - The restaurant holds one Michelin starFishing - Boasts a 3 acre lake for fly fishingGreat walks - A range of wonderful local walksRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Amberley Castle Nr Arundel, West Sussex 19 rooms from £315Foodies - Award-winning dining, Amberley Castle serves a superb wine-pairing menuCountry Escape - You'd struggle to find a more quintessentially English country stayLocal markets - The charming village of Amberley is just a few minutes walk and has a pub, potters, tea shop, and a few small shopsSights nearby - Take a drive through to the nearby market town of Arundel, with its formidable castle and cathedralRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
A historic stay amidst the English countryside, with fine dining to boot. Atmospheric rooms, moat, and oak portcullis, not to mention a resident peacock, acres of manicured grounds, and several suits of armour. Enormous beds and sink into sofas ensure rooms are made for lingering. See More
South Lodge Hotel Nr Horsham, West Sussex 89 rooms from £315Private Hot Tub - Book the Godman or Farriers Suite for your own private terrace with hot tubTraditionalViews - Great views from hotelFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa Climping, West Sussex 39 rooms from £345Romantic Break - Lovely spa with a wide range of treatments, couples side by side bath tubs and a wonderfully secluded feel.Country Escape - Cosy and luxurious interiors beckon you home from a day exploring the thirty acres of private parkland.Great walks - Enjoy lovely coastal walks directly from the property, or explore the Norman chapel on the grounds.Sights nearby - Visit Arundel Castle and try your hand at jousting.Recommended by - Tablet
Atmospheric mock medieval house with award winning spa set amid 30 acres of private parkland with direct beach access. Large rooms feature high beamed ceilings, antique four poster beds and luxury bathrooms. Dine in equally sumptuous surrounds. Well positioned from London as a weekend get away. See More