Search the best hotels in West Sussex
About West Sussex
Despite being extensively invaded by the Romans, and more recently Londoners snapping up second homes, the county has thankfully retained plenty of its character - and many of the best places to stay in West Sussex can definitely be said to have plenty of character, whether you're booking into a country house hotel, B&B or holiday cottage.
Some of our West Sussex Collections:
- 10 of the Most Romantic Hotels in West Sussex
- 10 of the Best Hotels with hot tubs in West Sussex
- Best pubs with rooms in West Sussex
- 15 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in Sussex
- Best hotels for a quick country escape
- The Best Places to Stay in Midhurst
- The Best Places to Stay in Chichester
West Sussex's classic calendar events, like the horse racing and Festival of Speed at Goodwood, or the polo at Cowdray Park (stay in Midhurst for Cowdray), are tempered by simpler pleasures, like walking in woods carpeted with bluebells or having a beer in a fine country pub.
What To Expect
The South Downs are a wooded ripple across the middle of the county, dominating the countryside and offering scenic landscape for walking, and views to the coast. Closer to the sea you'll find creeks and harbours, hiding waterside villages and the odd ice cream van.
In this varied landscape, places to hang your hat are also a mixed bunch. Left over from days when folk went shrimping in Bognor for their annual escape, there is a sea of no-nonsense coastal guesthouses that do a brisk trade for the bucket-and-spade brigade.
At the other end of the scale, five-star country piles abound, where former Lords and Ladies peer from their canvas haunts at corporate types having a pow-wow or elegant ladies relaxing in the fluffy robes of a spa package.
What Not To Miss
- Chichester is the county's capital, a well-preserved Georgian market town with a beautiful cathedral, rows of 18th century townhouses, pleasant tea shops, and a world-renowned theatre and arts festival, which keeps it feeling lively and cosmopolitan.
- Arundel is another of the best places to stay in West Sussex. As well as being close to the South Downs and a number of West Sussex's Roman ruins, it's also a romantic little town, full of antique shops and good restaurants and topped by a faitytale-esque castle.
- Flying buffs will love spending a few hours at the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum, home to a truly splendid collection.
- If you're looking for a fun family day out then head to Fishers Farm Park. Get to know the animals and learn more about them from the interactive exhibits, whilst there are also rides, a climbing wall and crazy golf.
To ensure a bed in one of the best places to stay in West Sussex, you'll need to make sure that you plan ahead. This is a very popular county, especially during the summer season, and good accommodation gets booked up well in advance. Alternatively save your visit for quieter months and come midweek, when you can savour all that West Sussex has to offer, without dealing with the crowds.
The Best Places to Stay in West Sussex
The Best Places to Stay in West Sussex for a quick country break
- The South Lodge Hotel near Horsham is a classic county house retreat, set in 93 acres of woods and parklands. As well as views of the grounds, South Lodge also proffers views of the South Downs. The rooms are sumptuous and the restaurant has a Michelin star.
- Ockenden Manor is a historic manor house just an hour's drive from London. Ockenden also has winning views over the South Downs and Michelin starred cuisine.
- Offering smart rooms in pale palettes, Willow Barns is a pleasing country B&B set in the heart of the West Sussex countryside. And, there's even a pub next door that's owned by the same couple!
- The White Hart is a truly excellent country escape, with charming rooms featuring exposed wooden beams and tartan furnishings. Tuck into hearty dishes and relax in the evening with a tipple by the fire.
- The Millstream Hotel boasts smart, traditional rooms in the quaint village of Bosham. Choose between two onsite restaurants and relax with a good book in the leafy gardens.
The Best Places to Stay in West Sussex to Relax
- The Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa is a mid sized hotel converted from a very realistic mock-medieval house set in 30 acres of private parkland, just a short stroll from Climping Beach. The spa is award-winning.
- The Park House Hotel is a family run hotel with a timeless feel in the heart of the South Downs National Park. Superb facilities for all including a top-notch spa, indoor and outdoor pools, and a tennis court. Ideal location for Cowdray Park, the Roman villas at Fishbourne and Bignor, plus Chichester Cathedral and plenty of stately homes.
- The Alexander House and Utopia Spa has earned a reputation as a great pampering escape. The award-winning spa has Grecian style interiors and twenty five treatment rooms.
The best traditional pubs and inns in West Sussex
- The Royal Oak is a revamped village inn, now a very popular restaurant with rooms. An ideal base for Glorious Goodwood or Chichester.
- The Angel is a coaching inn in the centre of Midhurst which dates back to Elizabethan times. This is a great spot for walkers or for exploring Petworth, Arundel and Chichester.
- The Crab and Lobster is a contemporary, yet cosy, restaurant with rooms in a charming waterside spot on the banks of Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve. The food is great and there are fine views of the salt marshes.
- Offering three cosy rooms, The Horse Guards Inn is an intimate spot for a relaxing retreat. Lovely food served up and plenty of great surrounding walking trails.
- Set in a former farmhouse, Old House Inn offer spacious and surprisingly contemporary accommodation in white. Enjoy a Full English breakfast each morning included in the room rate!
- The Swan Hotel, Arundel is a charming inn located in the heart of town. Boasts tastefully decorated rooms in light palettes and a cosy pub downstairs.
- The Halfway Bridge is a cosy inn with top-notch pub grub. The rooms exude character, with chic furnishings and exposed wooden beams, whilst there's also an atmospheric lounge with a roaring log fire to come back to after a day out.
- The White Horse has been superbly restored to offer contemporary B&B accommodation as well as AA Rosette standard cuisine. A top spot.
- Located in the market town of Midhurst, Spread Eagle Hotel And Spa is a characterful inn with four-posters, a top-notch restaurant and a spa.
The Best Places to Stay in West Sussex for something special
- Amberley Castle near Arundel is a historic, 12th Century castle, complete with a moat and portcullis. As well as 19 atmospheric rooms, the castle also has acres of landscaped gardens.
- Gravetye Manor is an Elizabethan gem known for its old fashioned hospitality and exceptional garden. Once the home of garden pioneer, William Robinson, this is now one of the last of the great, unchanged English county house hotels, with a private, caring owner. This is also a perfect base for Glyndebourne.
- The Goodwood Hotel is a spoiling stay - offering stylish contemporary accommodation as well as boasting two golf courses, a spa and a range of award-winning eateries.
The Best Places to Stay in Chichester
- If you fancy getting to know Chichester then the Harbour Hotel is an ideal choice. The rooms are tasteful and stylish, featuring the odd splash of colour, and you're just minutes from the town's attractions.
Prefer An Apartment Or Cottage?
If you want a little home from home, why not rent a holiday cottage or apartment? For a great selection, we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- West Sussex is nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 17°C in July and August. This however is peak season, so for a quieter alternative consider coming in May, September or October.
- Visitors can fly into Gatwick Airport before taking the bus or train on to their final destination.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Consider our suggestions in either Hampshire or East Sussex?
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in West Sussex
Best Hotels in West Sussex
West Dean College B&B Chichester, West Sussex from £75Country Escape - An impressive country house set in 6,400 acres of countryside.Great walks - The surrounding South Downs offer miles of scenic walking tracks.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Chichester Cathedral.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
An historic country house set in acres of manicured gardens and parkland just outside Chichester. Traditionally dressed rooms feature warm hues, large artworks, high ceilings and sash windows. Expect elegant reception rooms, indulgent breakfasts, quiet surrounds and plenty to explore locally. See More
The Welldiggers Arms Petworth 14 rooms from £80Birdwatching - The Pulborough Brooks RSPB Nature Reserve is located just 5 miles away from The Welldiggers ArmsGreat walks - Make the most out of your location to spend your days hiking around the areaSights nearby - Go visit Arundel Castle, Arundel Cathedral or Amberley CastleLocal markets - be sure to check out Petworth Farmers Market
The Welldiggers Arms offers 4* accommodation in the rural town of Petworth. The fourteen rooms are country chic in style - featuring plenty of muted tones and contemporary furnishings. Excellent food with a regularly changing seasonal menu. A cosy, smart and unassuming country getaway! See More
The Horse Guards Inn Petworth (West Sussex) 3 rooms from £85Country Escape - Located within the picturesque grounds of Petworth Estate this is a true country getawaySights nearby - Visit the charming National Trust property of Petworth HouseGreat walks - The South Downs boasts plenty of walking pathsFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Crouchers Chichester 26 rooms from £90Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the charms of West Sussex and the nearby south coast.Sights nearby - Take a trip into Chichester and visit sights such as the cathedral.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.
Duck Lodge B&B Pyecombe, West Sussex 1 rooms from £97Romantic Break - A romantic, private and secluded property, perfect for just a couple.Sights nearby - Nearby Brighton has many great sights as well as a beach.Great walks - Explore the South Downs National Park.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Church Lodge Chichester (Birdham) 3 rooms from £100Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the West Sussex coastline.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Chichester and explore city's fascinating cathedral.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the nearby Sussex coastline.
Old House Inn Copthorne, West Sussex 6 rooms from £110Foodies - AA Rosette awarded and a fine wine listSights nearby - The 16th century Wakehurst Place is just a short drive awayGreat walks - The South Downs has plenty of walking pathsRestaurant - Recommended.
Willow Barns Petworth, West Sussex 6 rooms from £110Country Escape - In the heart of the Sussex countryside, with many cycling and bridle paths on your doorstep.Great walks - Petworth to the historic market town of Pulborough is a popular walking route, amongst many others.Sights nearby - The historic town of Arundel with its impressive castle and cathedral is a short drive away.Birdwatching - The Arundel Wetland Centre has a bounty of bird and animal life for nature lovers.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
This collection of barns has been lovingly converted by Amanda and William, who have recently purchased the next door pub, into a delightful country B&B. Bright rooms enjoying countryside views are decorated in pale palettes, wrought iron beds, sumptuous quilts and bathrooms with roll top baths. See More
Chichester Harbour Hotel Chichester (West Sussex) 36 rooms from £121City Style - A chic hotel in the heart of Chichester offering fantastic food and easy access to the city.Restaurant - The Jetty delivers delicious dishes from locall sourced, seasonal ingredients.Great walks - Spend a day exploring the picturesque South Down’s countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the medieval cathedral located at the heart of the city.
A chic boutique hotel set in the heart of the pretty Georgian city of Chichester. Find contemporary rooms, a lively bar and fantastic restaurant. An underground spa is utterly spoiling and the central location gives easy access to the city's shops. The perfect spot for a city break. See More
The Swan Hotel, Arundel Arundel, West Sussex 14 rooms from £122Local exploring - Right in the heart of Arundel you are walking distance from the Castle, Cathedral and riverGreat walks - Along the banks of the river to the local favourite, The Black RabbitSights nearby - Arundel Castle and Cathedral are must visitsSailing - A boat trip along the river Arun
Charming local inn boasting a prime location within the charming market town of Arundel. Rooms are decorated in palettes of cream with thick woollen throws, period sash windows and large roll top baths. Downstairs there is a cosy pub with restaurant serving seasonal dishes. A charming stay. See More
The Angel, West Sussex Midhurst, West Sussex 15 rooms from £129Hideaway - A charming retreat, within easy reach of the South Downs, boasting beautiful antique furnishings and excellent cuisine.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby sights of Petworth House, Arundel Castle and Chichester.Great walks - Explore the miles of walking trials on the stunning South Downs.Traditional
Venerable Georgian coaching inn at the centre of lovely Midhurst. Recently refurbished white washed rooms with exposed beams and antique furniture. Some have spectacular views. Inventive cooking, private dining and lively bar. Dripping with history and well placed to explore the local area. See More
The White Hart, West Sussex South Harting, West Sussex 7 rooms from £129Country Escape - Nothing completes a trip to the country like a stay in a quintessentially English village inn!Foodies - Hearty meals served elegantly - foodies will loveSights nearby - Fishbourne Roman Palace and Gardens in nearby Chichester is a must visitLocal markets - The historic market towns of Petworth and Midhurst are simply charming
Comfortable contemporary pitstop close to the South Downs for couples, families and cyclists. A charming and quirky village inn, popular amongst locals and travellers alike. Rooms feature colourful tartans, exposed beams and modern bathrooms. Roaring fires and hearty meals create a cosy feel. See More
The Angel Inn Petworth 7 rooms from £130Back to Nature - Set in the breathtaking South Downs National Park, this is a great starting point to explore the natural landscapeFamilies - There are lots of activities for families in the area, from cycling and hiking to horse ridingCountry Escape - Situated in a quiet village, this inn makes for a perfect country getawaySights nearby - Visit Petworth House, a 17th-century listed country house, just five minutes' walk from the inn
A picturesque inn located in the South Downs National Park. Charming rooms have traditional features, from exposed beams to original fireplaces. Groups can hire neighbouring Hyde House, a stately Georgian-era gem. The inn's restaurant offers a fresh, seasonal menu; an idyllic escape to the country. See More
Harbour Hotel Chichester, West Sussex 37 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Norman built Chichester Cathedral and Chichester Castle are both within five minutes walk.Restaurant - Recommended.
The Halfway Bridge Petworth (West Sussex) 6 rooms from £140Local markets - The old market town of Petworth with its independant boutiques, cafes and antique shops is great for local exploring.Sailing - The seaside towns of Bogner Regis and Worthing are great for maritime activities.Great walks - The walking trails of the South Downs are accessible directly from the property.Sights nearby - The impressive Petworth House is just five minutes away and well worth a visit.Recommended by - Sawdays
The White Horse, West Sussex Chilgrove, West Sussex 15 rooms from £150Country Escape - Private cottage style rooms with lovely views of the green rolling hills at this country chic hotel.Local exploring - In the heart of the Sussex countryside, a good place to base yourselves to explore the area.Foodies - Known for its exquisite restaurant serving British cuisine, awarded 1 AA Rosette.Great walks - Ramble in the South Downs. There are miles of paths for walkers of all abilitiesRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Royal Oak Chichester, West Sussex 8 rooms from £155Country Escape - Ideally placed for country pursuits such as rambling, fishing and shooting, with hearty food and cosy interiors to return to.Foodies - Feast at the award winning restaurant, serving fresh, local and totally seasonal produce- a fine example of British cooking.Great walks - Bring your wellies and a packed lunch from the hotel and head out to explore the stunning landscape of the South Downs.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby Kingley Vale, home to one of Europe's most impressive and oldest yew forests.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Millstream Hotel Chichester, West Sussex 35 rooms from £159Great walks - From the Bosham Walk to the lengthy South Downs Way there are routes for every rambler.Sights nearby - The historic buildings of Petworth House and Arundel Castle and Cathedral are close by.Sailing - From the quirkily named Smuggler's Lane take the ferry to tchenorRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Located in the quaint village of Bosham this hotel stronghold has been in the same family for almost 40 years. Rooms are decorated in a classic style, with traditional floral prints and built in wardrobes. There are leafy gardens with pond to explore, two restaurants and an excellent wine list. See More
Park House Hotel Midhurst, West Sussex 21 rooms from £160Country Escape - The hotel grounds boasts a croquet lawn, golf course, grass tennis courts and the surrounding hills beckoning for country walks.Total relaxation - With spa treatments, indoor and outdoor pool, sauna and steam room plus a terraced bar for whiling away the afternoon.Sights nearby - Roman villas at Fishbourne and Bignor, plus Chichester Cathedral and plenty of stately homes close at hand.Great walks - The hotel provides wellies for exploring the South Downs rolling into the distance.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A timeless family hotel, in the heart of the South Downs National Park. Classically styled rooms brim with old school elegance and comfort. The popular restaurant serves locally sourced wholesome cuisine. A unique spot, complete with grass tennis courts, golf course, two pools and spa. See More
Crab and Lobster Sidlesham, West Sussex 4 rooms from £160Foodies - Wonderfully falvoursome cuisine, with seafood from the local fisherman, meat from the local farms and honey from the neighbours!Country Escape - An ideal country escape, with plush rooms, mouthwatering cuisine, roaring fires in the cosy bar and plenty of local walking.Great walks - Burn off some calories between lunch and dinner with an afternoon stroll on West Wittering's pebbly beach.Birdwatching - Binoculars and a telescope are provided for spotting local birds and animals.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Goodwood Hotel Chichester, West Sussex 91 rooms from £160Restaurant - Award wining food with many ingredients produced on the Goodwood estate.Great walks - Stroll around the Goodwood Estate or explore the South Downs waySights nearby - Just outside ChichesterTennis - Tennis Court on site
Ockenden Manor Cuckfield, West Sussex 28 rooms from £179Foodies - The creative cuisine of Head Chef Stephen Crane has earned them a Michelin-Star, check out the seven-course Tasting Menu.Country Escape - Submerge yourself in this country house hotel, with every whim and comfort taken care of there is no need to leave.Great walks - This area boasts plenty of picturesque walks, ask your hosts to point out a few choice trails to follow.Restaurant - Michelin starred cuisine
This tranquil and historic manor house is just an hour from London, with lovely gardens, indoor and outdoor pool and Michelin star fine dining. Rooms exude comfort and style. Relax at the spa, explore the South Downs or sit with your favourite drink on the terrace. A beautiful mini-break location. See More
Spread Eagle Hotel And Spa Midhurst, West Sussex 39 rooms from £190Restaurant - Local suppliers and caters for special dietary requirementsSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolFour poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa Crawley, West Sussex 57 rooms from £200Total relaxation - This is truly a place to let go of it all, an oasis of luxorious suites, spa treatments, fine dining and picturesque grounds.Romantic Break - Inject a little romance into your weekend with two person tubs, enormous suites, tandem massages and candlelite dinners.Great walks - Take a stroll around the 120 acre parklands and manicured gardens that surrround the property.Tennis - Take to the courts for a friendly knockabout and burn off last nights dinner!Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Boutique country house hotel, set in 120 acres of parkland. Recently refurbished rooms are generously proportioned and sinfully luxurious. Enjoy the fine dining options and champagne bar. Spoiling facilities include spa and pool. Slip back to a simpler time where your day stops for afternoon tea. See More
Gravetye Manor East Grinstead, West Sussex 17 rooms from £260Romantic Break - Grand period country house - utterly charming for a couple's getawayFoodies - The restaurant holds one Michelin starFishing - Boasts a 3 acre lake for fly fishingGreat walks - A range of wonderful local walksRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Amberley Castle Nr Arundel, West Sussex 19 rooms from £315Foodies - Award-winning dining, Amberley Castle serves a superb wine-pairing menuCountry Escape - You'd struggle to find a more quintessentially English country stayLocal markets - The charming village of Amberley is just a few minutes walk and has a pub, potters, tea shop, and a few small shopsSights nearby - Take a drive through to the nearby market town of Arundel, with its formidable castle and cathedralRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
A historic stay amidst the English countryside, with fine dining to boot. Atmospheric rooms, moat, and oak portcullis, not to mention a resident peacock, acres of manicured grounds, and several suits of armour. Enormous beds and sink into sofas ensure rooms are made for lingering. See More
South Lodge Hotel Nr Horsham, West Sussex 89 rooms from £315Private Hot Tub - Book the Godman or Farriers Suite for your own private terrace with hot tubTraditionalViews - Great views from hotelFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa Climping, West Sussex 39 rooms from £339Romantic Break - Lovely spa with a wide range of treatments, couples side by side bath tubs and a wonderfully secluded feel.Country Escape - Cosy and luxurious interiors beckon you home from a day exploring the thirty acres of private parkland.Great walks - Enjoy lovely coastal walks directly from the property, or explore the Norman chapel on the grounds.Sights nearby - Visit Arundel Castle and try your hand at jousting.Recommended by - Tablet
Atmospheric mock medieval house with award winning spa set amid 30 acres of private parkland with direct beach access. Large rooms feature high beamed ceilings, antique four poster beds and luxury bathrooms. Dine in equally sumptuous surrounds. Well positioned from London as a weekend get away. See More