Search the best hotels in Dedham
Dedham, and the surrounding rural beauty of the Dedham Vale, was John Constable’s painting ground. A countryside of meandering waterways, peaceful lanes, picturesque old cottages and plenty of greenery. Our pick of the best places to stay in Dedham are all ideally placed to enjoy this stunning area.
You might not see horse drawn carts and jovial farmers these days, but not too much else has changed and this land abounds with charm and views. Explore the region on foot or by bike through leafy lanes and see the ancient churches and old farmhouses at a relaxed pace.
What Not To Miss
- Constable fans will want to see Flatford Mill, the red-brick mill in many of his canvases.
- Along with Bridge Cottage, which is right beside it. Ss well as appearing in many of his works the cottage is now a museum to the artist.
- A visit to the Dedham Art and Crafts centre is also worthwhile with a great selection of art, antiques and much more - all situated in a lovely old church.
- Take a stroll amongst the surreal at the Gnome Magic Garden set amidst a wooded area with hundreds of gnomes peeping out at you.
Many of the best places to stay in Dedham offer Constable-esque views.
The Best Places to Stay in Dedham
For a charming old coaching inn
- We'd recommend The Sun Inn, a gorgeous coaching inn right in the heart of Dedham - opposite the church Constable was fond of painting. There are just seven rooms, some with four poster beds.
Just out of Dedham
- Milsoms is a 15 room boutique hotel with a lively bar/ brasserie, close to the River Stour as it meanders through beautiful Dedham Vale. Each room is individually designed and decorated, and, it’s a cliche, but there’s something for everyone here.
- Maison Talbooth is the sister hotel to Milsoms. This is a flashier effort with a pool, tennis courts, spa facilities and a more gourmet restaurant. The 12 rooms start from £220 per night.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties including a quaint old thatched cottage.
- Fly to London Stansted Airport located 59km (37 miles) from Dedham. The airport serves both domestic and International destinations. Of you can arrive by train: the nearest station being Manningtree only 6km (4 miles) away with connections to Colchester. There's also buses from Colchester to Dedham.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the picturesque English countryside and quaint villages - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September provide the warmest weather for enjoying the beautiful rural surroundings and exploring the towns.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Dedham
Milsoms 15 rooms from £130Colchester, Essex
Where the River Stour meanders through Constable country in beautiful Dedham Vale, eat, drink and stay, at this boutique Hotel with a vibrant bar and lively brasserie serving excellent food. Close by is sister hotel Maison Talbooth with spa, swimming pool and tennis courtExclusive offer - Spring into MilsomsSights nearby - Flatford Mill and Munnings Museum close byGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Maison Talbooth 12 rooms from £300Colchester, Essex
Quirky Essex hotel and spa in the heart of Constable country, with a pool and tennis, and spa facilities. Popular for hen parties and exclusive use.Exclusive offer - Magical MaisonSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolGreat walks - In Dedham Vale AONBBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
The Sun Inn 7 rooms from £105Dedham
Charming old coaching inn in Constable's village of Dedham, opposite the church he used to paint. Just seven rooms, beautifully appointed, some with four posters.Four poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays